PDA

View Full Version : Audi 100 no start

imported_brackie
05-05-2006, 09:55 AM
The Loon and I spent an hour in the rain yesterday afternoon trying to get my old Audi (now belongs to our milking hand) going. It's a 5E with Kjet and electronic ignition.

Checked:
Timing. OK (thought that the belt may have jumped a tooth or two..It's old and stretched.)
Fuel. Spray at injectors and throttle plate lifting
Spark. There but weak.

Suspect coil or ignition module.

Any ideas Guys?

syncro
05-05-2006, 10:46 AM
This model uses an inductive pick up in the distributor instead of a hall transitor that the later models use. The pick up is really just a coil of wire and have been known to go open circuit. There should be a two pin plug on the side of the distributor (hall sensors have three pins) Use a meter to check continuity, and you can find the specifications, check the resistance.

The electronic module I think maybe similar to an old Magna (Bosch) module if you nead to check that.

Check the resistance of the plug connectors and that the correct coil is fitted.

Phill

imported_brackie
05-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Goodonya, Phill! That's a most comprehensive reply. I'll get onto it tomorrow (weather permitting!) If the hall transitor has gone open circuit would there still be a spark at the plugs?

syncro
05-05-2006, 05:27 PM
If the hall transitor has gone open circuit would there still be a spark at the plugs?

Read again, they don't have a hall transistor!

imported_brackie
05-05-2006, 07:48 PM
It has a 2 wire connector.

syncro
05-05-2006, 08:24 PM
It has a 2 wire connector.

That's what I thought.

Golf Loon
06-05-2006, 04:59 PM
So where do you check for continuity then?

syncro
06-05-2006, 05:30 PM
The distributor. It's just a coil.

gtimk5
11-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Had a 911 the other week Brackie that had no spark. Borrowed a sigma dizzie, connected up and spun the shaft. I had a 40m/m spark coming from the coil lead! Windings crook in Porsche dizzy. Petrojet for nem one, Cost me $140. Carefull when testing though! Can hurt you bad! I have a complete 5+5 that goes if you want it. $200

imported_brackie
12-05-2006, 06:16 AM
In my little world of diesels I have very little petrol engine stuff. I you guys reckon the dizzy's stuffed where do I get one? (Mate, if I put that 5+5 on my block my mrs would kill me!)

syncro
12-05-2006, 08:48 AM
You only need to replace the inductive coil.

Ron, at C&S may have one. Postage would be cheap.

imported_brackie
14-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Got back to the Audi at last. When Loon and I were trying to get her going we were working in the rain and the engine got soaked (unlike us guys the new owner doesn't clean it down regularly). We've has a dry week with sunshine and it dried the electrics out. She just started first pop and is running like new one! Thanks to all of you guys who chipped in with suggestions. That's the great thing about forums like this as all contributions expand our knowledgebase :wink: