PDA

View Full Version : The best oil test

ian
06-08-2013, 03:15 PM
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

There is really a lot of difference in oils >

Transporter
06-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Hmm, as they say in that article, when you buying that oil you buyin a lot of chemicals in it (additives), but there is much more to the oil than keep the moving parts apart. So, the oil with the smallest scar doesn't have to be the best oil for your engine. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505

Amalgam
07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Great article. Thanks for the link.

Although they don't test 504/507 oils and you can't directly compare, it is interesting to note that some of the more fancied and expensive brands did poorly.

I would have normally chosen Castrol as being VW endorsed and possibly original fill, but now Penrite is looking like a front runner.

Transporter
07-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Any of these oils in that test, even the one with the biggest wear scar will protect the engine for hundreds of thousands kilometres if you keep the oil clean and change it on time.

Clean oil and good oil filtration is the key to the long lasting and the reliable engine. :)

Hillbilly
07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Great article. Thanks for the link.

Although they don't test 504/507 oils and you can't directly compare, it is interesting to note that some of the more fancied and expensive brands did poorly.

I would have normally chosen Castrol as being VW endorsed and possibly original fill, but now Penrite is looking like a front runner.

+1 for Penrite

ATYPIC
26-08-2013, 09:18 AM
+1 for Penrite

Penrite FTW!

Martin
26-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Clean oil and good oil filtration is the key to the long lasting and the reliable engine. :)

Indeed - I have a 2006 Nissan 350Z with 249,000km on the clock
The engine is still pulling strong and does not slap or ping when laboured
The original owner changed the oil every 5,000km

Note - the oil analysis testing on BobIsTheOilGuy also showed poor results for the Motul, even the Purple stuff did not impress