PDA

View Full Version : heaters in da MK2

86gti
03-05-2006, 09:47 PM
to all the mk2 owners......how well do your heaters work???
if im driving at bout 100 with the fans off it gets pretty hot inside after a fair while....but when i turn the fan on around town and just after the temp comes up on a cold morning, it seems like there is a 50 a day smoker blowing through a maccaz straw...the fan works, but hardly blows atall...!!!
not good when your windscreen foggin up!! once i get moving for a bit and the air is forced through its ok, but the fan is useless! :-(.....even a 57 beetle heater is better ..hahaha
is this usuall??? or am i just used to jap crap heaters blowin my hat off in the back seat......

joshyd-mk2gti
03-05-2006, 10:53 PM
my heater works great. definately sounds like something is wrong with yours. does the blower work at all, does it blow cold air?

syncro
04-05-2006, 06:20 PM
My '86 worked great.

86gti
05-05-2006, 12:06 AM
you can hear the fan spinning, but wont blow hot or cold air.....
can only just feel the air if you hold your hand infront of vent.
with it on hot and driving at 100kph with the motion of car pushing it through it heats up inside nicely. seems like maybe fins broken off fan or something, mite pull the fan box out on weekend n have a squiz

syncro
05-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Does it have air conditioning?

aliasmk2
05-05-2006, 11:40 AM
g' day there my mk2 fan & heater work great, but i could do with a regas ffor the aircon.
i have heard afew time s that the heater matrix in the mk2 is prone to breaking down though, or it could be the power supply. they are something that pops up on ebay uk quite often

Golf Loon
05-05-2006, 05:33 PM
I always suspect the heater matrix`s as they always break.

Could yous be ducting come loose under the dash?

Take the glovebox out and stick your hand up there and see if you can feel any breeze.

syncro
05-05-2006, 05:34 PM
OK, I have had a similar problem before with a '88 16v from SA.

There is a slider that controls which vent the air comes out of that operates vacuum servos. It works by a rubber piece with holes in it sliding across and connecting different ports to open the various flaps.
The one that I had was not drilled correctly so that when a vacuum was applied to the rubber pad it closed off a minute piece of rubber and blocked the port. It took a while to find as at first we were blowing through it which opened it up. Then when I sucked on it I noticed that it closed up and blocked the vacuum.

There is a test procedure for it in the Bentley workshop manual.

86gti
06-05-2006, 01:32 AM
im going to have a peek later on sat..the vents all work fine...doesnt have AC..the heat comes out of the vents while you are driving, feet, windscreen, mids etc, but just wont blow heat when stationary with the fan on....ill do some investigating and let you all know what i find :wink:

moto
19-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Is you car left outside a lot? Have you cleaned the leaves and crud out of the rain tray on the firewall. You might find the air chutes (under the mesh covers) are choked too.

imported_brackie
19-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Welcome, Moto...Good to have you aboard. Got a Mk2? Leaves/sticks are always a problem. Recently I pulled a dead rat out of the plenum of one of my Golfs (I live on a farm) and where it was wouldn't have helped air flow one bit :shock: Another rat chewed through the HT leads on my old Audi. I now put poison under the bonnet :wink:

moto
20-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Welcome, Moto...Good to have you aboard. Got a Mk2? Leaves/sticks are always a problem. Recently I pulled a dead rat out of the plenum of one of my Golfs (I live on a farm) and where it was wouldn't have helped air flow one bit :shock: Another rat chewed through the HT leads on my old Audi. I now put poison under the bonnet :wink:

Wouldn't have helped the air quality either eh?
Yep. Thanks for the welcome brackie.

86gti
25-05-2006, 11:18 PM
yea checked all that :-S...thats as far as ive got, lol, was going to pull the whole lot out but ive been busy getting the GTi-R in order...
..like i said, air flow is fine through the system...i do a 90klm round trip to work n back everyday and once you on the open road without the fan on with just the air forcing it through it gets hot very quickly.....it just seems like the fan isnt spinning quick enough or something...it does spin, u can hear it on all levels, but just a vauge bit of warmth when u sitting still...or especially the first 5 klms of my drive to work with the windows fogging up......here's me with my windows down!!!!! hahahaha :evil:

gtimk5
28-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi Ben! So, have you pulled the fan motor out to check that the fan blade assembly is spinning with the motor? From memory it was an easy job on Blackie, in fact I think you can see it under the bonnet if you take the plastic shroud off, in the plennum. I replaced the resistor on the motor in 1987. It was a common problem with the Mk2s to blow that & the fan would only operate on the 3rd speed. Glovebox comes out very easily on that car giving easy access to the fan. :D

86gti
28-05-2006, 08:19 PM
ahhhh, no havnt looked yet...ill have a look on the weekend...its been too cold to go out dorrs this weekend, hahaha! so ive turned my lounge room into a pocket bike workshop..
ill crawl up under the dash and have a peep :-)
cheers

86gti
15-06-2006, 03:32 PM
ok, spent thismorning pulling the glove box etc to get to the heater fan.
fan is working fine on all speeds. the air just isnt getting to the vents.
Ive taken the console etc out and seems like the flaps in the box are working.
just wont blow :-(.....only other thing i have noted is while driving at around 80-100 when the air pushing through warms things up nicley., i go around a right hand corner....(mostly long sweeping round abouts on the highway) and the air goes cold :? .. then heat comes back couple of seconds later .. am i going mad? yes i am j: .
any ideas? not looking forward to taking out the whole dash :(

moto
16-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Sounds like the flaps aren't working consistently. Might be worth having a look at the vacume hoses at the switch. One might be damaged or they may have been put back in the wrong sequence at some stage.