PDA

View Full Version : To Stack or not to stack(er)

IbizaGTI
27-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Hi all,
firstly, I'm not an audiophile - and considering how little time I spend in my car at the moment it would be a sin to spend a lot of money on the stereo. I nearly always get to wherever I'm going in less than 2 tracks... (oh the joys of inner suburbia in a small city)

However, the Ibiza came with a Kenwood head unit (tape) and a rather suspicious looking cable connection in the boot. meaning someone took the changer out at some stage... I'm pretty sure this is the case but I can get a photo of the connection if anyone cares to verify my theory...

anyway, the question is: changers seem a little out of vogue at the moment, I imagine because of the Ipod craze. i however seem to be the only ape on this planet without one... I have an MP3 player just not an Apple endorsed product. I would like to play MP3's in the car (nothing good on the radio) but I'm not fast really, So do i get a new changer (from $250 upwards new or $100ish on e-bay used) or get a new head unit with MP3 cd playback and a face plug for the MP3 player? (starting at about $100 for a new Kenwood - no idea of quality) :???:

is it complicated to change head units considering the Ibiza has 6 speakers (2 back, 2 front in doors and 2 tweaters on front dash)?

MattyT
28-09-2007, 12:15 AM
CD Changers indeed went out the window when the mp3 craze hit car audio.

I say just get a CD/Mp3 Player. The Mp3 side of things doesnt mean you have to plug in your player though. Just burn mp3s to a CD and insert CD into player. Player will read the disc and start from the top.

It shouldnt be hard to change, i guess. I dont change mine myself coz i'm **** with my hands. "6 Speakers" is a bit misleading, since tweaters go together with the front mid-bass speakers. So there should only be 4 wires to hook into the back of your headunit.

Please excuse if this post makes no sense, I'm tired and should go to bed j: