PDA

View Full Version : Multivan T5 Rear Seat Adjustment

BobD
27-09-2007, 05:32 PM
The rear (third row) seat on my Multivan has jambed. Does anyone know how to get it to move? I did it once a month or two ago and now it won't go.

I lower the back rest and lock it in the down position but no matter what I do I can't get lever 2 to release to move the seat forwards or backwards. The dealer had a go this arvo and also couldn't get it to move.

Also the rain sensing wipers have decided to stop working. Anyone had experience with this happening?

Car is booked in for October 10th for a warranty fix but if anyone can help I would be grateful.

Bob

BobD
06-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Seems that noone else has this problem and knows how to fix it. Anyway, I will let you know what happens on Wednesday if they manage to fix the wipers and seat.

shogun2
07-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi Bob,
I haven't managed to jam the rear seat yet, so can't comment. However, I'm still (after nearly 30 months of ownership) trying to figure out how to get the back seat to convert to a bed.:confused:

MultiplexMan
09-10-2007, 05:50 PM
The rear (third row) seat on my Multivan has jambed. Does anyone know how to get it to move? I did it once a month or two ago and now it won't go.

I lower the back rest and lock it in the down position but no matter what I do I can't get lever 2 to release to move the seat forwards or backwards. The dealer had a go this arvo and also couldn't get it to move.

Bob

I've had similar experiences with my Kombi Beach. On the Beach you need to have the seat in the upright position to move it. I find I have to have a second person gently "tilt" the seat forward as I lift the release lever and pull/push.

The folding seat/bed is one of the worst examples of design in the vehicle...:mad:

MultiplexMan
09-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Bob,
I haven't managed to jam the rear seat yet, so can't comment. However, I'm still (after nearly 30 months of ownership) trying to figure out how to get the back seat to convert to a bed.:confused:

If you do not have the lever on the seat back, you will have a webbing strap hidden between the seat belt anchors. The strap is connected to the release mechanism in the seat back. Another example of :? design... At least that is what I have in the Beach.

BobD
09-10-2007, 10:17 PM
My problem is that the lever won't move to release the seat, even with the dealer trying the lever and me pushing and pulling the seat in every direction. It worked fine the first time I tried it but not any more. Hopefully fixed tomorrow. I will let you know what happens.

shogun2
11-10-2007, 07:45 PM
If you do not have the lever on the seat back, you will have a webbing strap hidden between the seat belt anchors. The strap is connected to the release mechanism in the seat back. Another example of :? design... At least that is what I have in the Beach.
That sounds about right. I think I have seen the webbing strap. However, when I've tried albeit half heartedly, I have not been able to get the seat to stay in the bed position without collapsing in the middle.:o

BobD
12-10-2007, 10:43 PM
The dealer freed the rear seat and said it was OK. When I got it home I couldn't move it again so I just pulled the lever really hard and it finally released with a loud clunk. I will just have to move it more often to get it to free up I think.

I don't think there is any webbing strap in the Multivan, just the lever for the backrest and the lever to move the seat. I read a test on the Beach and the tester couldn't find the seat release and couldn't make up the bed until he got it home or something similar.

No luck yet with the rain sensing wipers. The dealer didn't think the Multivan had them and had to ask me if they ever worked. Fortunately for me, the rain sensor did work for about two months but hasn't worked since. They now have to get some parts before they can fix it. This is the main problem in WA where it takes for ever to get any parts at all.

Ades
30-03-2019, 07:53 PM
I had to pull my track locks apart to get the seat out, nothing would make the damn thing budge, had to pull the springs off of the reack locks then pull the wheels off of the middle two tracks. Its out and probably won't go back in again.

BrianJ
04-04-2019, 07:27 PM
In this thread I describe how I fixed my kombi beach rear seat. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f136/kombi-beach-centre-bench-seat-bed-help-45205.html?highlight=

It is a different model van, but may have the same release mechanism and will possibly need the same fix.

Surfview
20-06-2019, 12:15 PM
They really are quiet simple, once you are aware, or shown correctly.. how to do this.

1st the Seats won’t Slide whilst in the upright position.. nor the folded flat (bed) position, for safety.
You MUST fold the Seats (Lever/Strap 1) to the half fold fully forward position.. before they will slide.

2nd pull (Strap/Lever2) and the seats will slide to desired position.
note - measure or mark/remember your desired positions for future use..

shazzam.. then fold seat back upright or all the way back to bed flat using Lever/Strap1.

cheers

Also the rain sensing wipers have decided to stop working. Anyone had experience with this happening?

Car is booked in for October 10th for a warranty fix but if anyone can help I would be grateful.

Bob

ozgti
05-07-2019, 09:55 AM
In this thread I describe how I fixed my kombi beach rear seat. Kombi Beach centre bench seat/bed - HELP (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f136/kombi-beach-centre-bench-seat-bed-help-45205.html?highlight=)

It is a different model van, but may have the same release mechanism and will possibly need the same fix.If you undo the bolt where the front wheels are (through the cubby holes.. I think they're a 15) loosen them enough to move up and down and it should then roll with the seat folded.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Pida
19-02-2021, 10:19 AM
That sounds about right. I think I have seen the webbing strap. However, when I've tried albeit half heartedly, I have not been able to get the seat to stay in the bed position without collapsing in the middle.:o

Van Essa has a Youtube clip showing how to set the bench into a bed. Put the seat almost down and apply hard pressure to the very front and the very rear at the same time to snap it into position.