PDA

View Full Version : rattle in steering column

pontiff
22-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Hey all,

I have 2 polo now that have rattling steering columns, almost sounds like the universal joint at the end of steering shaft/rod is loose / rattling around. you really notice it coming up a dirt driveway. Just wondering before I start poking around, what could be. since I have 2 that do it, i'm guessing its probably not uncommon? The buy i bought the car off said it needed a new steering column but i thought i would check before i just pull it out.

TIA :)

pontiff
22-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I have tracked it down to the actual steering column when it comes out of the black 'shaft' that it runs in with a little spring at the bottom of it, it rattles against the shaft, like a bearing that should be around it... is not there, im guessing I am going to have to pull the shaft out completely obviously anyway, just very curious what could have happened... its an update 6n1 (97 model) if that makes a difference, so the only way to disconnect it is to pull out the actual housing rather than the shaft itself as the only connection to the rack is right at the bottom of the footwell where it connects to the rack, there is no intermediary connections that would allow the shaft to come out without the ousing (if that makes ANY sense)

jets
23-07-2013, 01:55 PM
My wife has a 6N2 that's done almost 150,000km but fortunately doesn't have the rattle. I don't know if the column in ours is the same as the 6N1 but I would be interested in further postings by you on removing the housing that is needed if I ever have to repair the pedal cluster bracket. Apparently it's a very time consuming job.

pontiff
23-07-2013, 03:12 PM
My wife has a 6N2 that's done almost 150,000km but fortunately doesn't have the rattle. I don't know if the column in ours is the same as the 6N1 but I would be interested in further postings by you on removing the housing that is needed if I ever have to repair the pedal cluster bracket. Apparently it's a very time consuming job.

I did some looking.. it looks like a bearing is just 'not there'. the part that I think that I am missing is 1h0419517a

http://www.iauto.lt/images/cache/VAG_GraphicsData/f/fc/ffc7d6f79db7de7e9e71e63b8766cc3f.gif

part 22, it centres the column as it comes out of the housing.. and yes, i will have to remove the whole assembly to replace it, so when i do, i will report back as to how much of a PITA it is :)