PDA

View Full Version : Went for a RWC

worm
03-05-2006, 05:48 PM
:cry:

The list is one page long!

Alot of stuff is easy to fix like busted globe, indiactor stalk not returning, stop lights etc..

BUT

Some stuff is a pain in the butt:
Has a hole in the fuel tank which has been repaired by pluging it with a rubber washer and nail. Needs to be fixed/replaced.
Leaky engine (although a quick clean before will fix this).
The stupid tow truck driver squashed the rear break line :x
Busted steering rack and ballljoint
Leaking rear drum break cylinder
15" mags.. can only be 1" over standard.. wtf :x

And the worst of all

I have all the emission bits removed and the tube that goes from the rocker cover to the air box is venting to the atmosphere. The only fix is to get a new manifold, air box and carbi (and all pollution bits and pieces)..... this is complete BS... If I take it to a mechainc who doesnt know golfs maybe I can get away with it :?

If not, the cars gettin striped and sold :(

GoLfMan
03-05-2006, 06:54 PM
mate i can supply u with all the emission gear and the like. i can lend you some cheese cutters (stock rims) also but ull havta lend me those 15's for my car to sit on while u get a RWC. hope this helps a bit

Golfwise
03-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Mk1 s came out from the factory with optional 14 and 15 inch wheels so you have no problem there.
Cabrios had the 14s and 15s and GTIs had 14s.

imported_brackie
04-05-2006, 06:11 AM
And the worst of all

I have all the emission bits removed and the tube that goes from the rocker cover to the air box is venting to the atmosphere. The only fix is to get a new manifold, air box and carbi (and all pollution bits and pieces)..... this is complete BS... If I take it to a mechainc who doesnt know golfs maybe I can get away with it :?

What year is it? Emission controls didn't get stringent until 1977 and then again in 1980. If it's pre-77 you don't need EGR, PCV or any of that. No criticism implied but it would have been worth getting somebody who knows the model and year to go over it before you put out the money for an inspection. Don't lose heart. It sounds like all of things that were picked up are easily and cheaply fixable. I'm sure the guys on this forum can help....

...the tube that goes from the rocker cover to the air box is venting to the atmosphere. The only fix is to get a new manifold, air box and carbi (and all pollution bits and pieces)

This doesn't seem right unless someone has modiifed the intake system with non-original parts. At worst you could drill and fit a metal inlet to the airbox to connect the crankcase breather.

GoLfMan
04-05-2006, 08:31 AM
mate you can buy my airbox off my dell which has an attactchment for the tube that comes off the rocker cover. PM if your interested.. 8)

worm
04-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys, if I need any help you lot are the first i come to!

I havent lost heart yet... already ordered a new balljoint :P

My old golf (77 mdl) had all the emission stuff taken off and it still passed a RWC. I will take it to that guy when I have fixed it up. If that doesnt work *shrugs*.... dedicated track car maybe :lol:
Even if I do fix it up and the only thing wrong with it is the emissions, thats a perfect excuse to get a 16V :twisted:

I wasnt aware of the pre 77 mdl emission stuff brackie, thanks, ill use that piece of knowledge. Same with the wheel sizes... I really shouldnt have taken it to a VW mechanic who knows all about them.... none else would know about the wheel size thing.

Cheers
Lee

Golfwise
04-05-2006, 03:42 PM
There should be a fitting on your sports aircleaner to take the cam cover vent hose.Thats all the requirement should be.
I have used a 2 part patch up on fuel tanks before.Got it at repco or similar and it worked fantastic.The car is still driven around and still doesn't leak years later.
Have you a side draught carbie or downdraft.
The best thing is to cover all bases first so they can't knock you back.

worm
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Do you need to remove the petrol tank to fix the leak using that patchup stuff?
I had a look under the car, the hole is easly visible and is VERY easy to get to....
would the hole explain why the petrol from the fuel filter just before the carbs is being drained after about 30 seconds of the car being turned off?

Not exactly sure if the carb is side draft or down draft (I dont know the difference)... but its horizontal and has no airbox of any sort.... only has a real dodgey K & N type filter stuck on the end.. see pic below...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc015210su.jpg)

Golfwise
04-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Its a side draft, should have a breather tube either on the carby or the filter.
Find it and connect it to the breather from the cam cover.
Re the fuel tank ,it needs to be empty around the hole so it can be perfectly clean. (if hole is underneath completely drain the tank and jack car up on the side of the hole (left or rightside rear) so whats left in tank drains away to the opposite side.Clean area and sand back to bare metal.You may even tap in a small dent around the hole to allow more repair material.
Good luck

syncro
04-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Mk1 s came out from the factory with optional 14 and 15 inch wheels so you have no problem there.
Cabrios had the 14s and 15s and GTIs had 14s.

Australian Mk1s only had 13s.

Tim
04-05-2006, 06:33 PM
I was of the opinion that it was determined by the biggest wheel option provided by the manufacturer.

syncro
04-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I was of the opinion that it was determined by the biggest wheel option provided by the manufacturer.

That's if is a Holden or Ford :lol:

I can't remember any optional wheels larger than 13 on a Mk1, except maybe the very late ones. What were the Pirellis?

16valvertwin45s
04-05-2006, 09:28 PM
pirellis were14 but also available as a very rare 15 inch

gldgti
05-05-2006, 08:07 AM
i've fixed a hole in my diesel fuel tank using some brush on super glue...

i've ofund that the best place to take a golf for inspection is a euro type mechanic, not specifically vw, and someone that owns an old vw is helpful...

worm
05-05-2006, 02:35 PM
It probably wont end up that bad.... you know how everything looks worse than it is on first look.
Bought some petrol tank putty at repco, seems really easy to use. Its like what wise said, 2 part play dough type thing, break off what u need, mash it togethor and put it on..... it says u can even do it when its wet.... although im def going to drain it.

Euro mechanic may be ok to get ur car fixed, but for a RWC, just some random dude down a back elly is best IMO... The dodgier the better :P

Golf Loon
05-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah the usual nonsense. Undo all the emission gear and chuck it out. I put wheel studs in the holes in the head.

Patch up the tank as Golfwise says.

Steering needs to be fixed for safety.

I always find a dodgy mechanic for a roadworthy. The ones that check the vin number and then write the chit are best. Keep driving round till you get someone to do it. RWC is for the legalities. Safety is up to you.

Wheels things is BS go somewhere else.

Tim
05-05-2006, 06:08 PM
actually.. just thinking about this wheel thing.. and i remember reading something on the vicroads website about this a while ago. They said that u werent allowed to go mor than 1" greater in width. The diameter shouldnt matter as the rolling circumference is still the same if u have the right tyres.
I think the main concern is when u put extra stress on components when u widen the track.
Id really seek clarification on this from vicroads. theyre the only ones that will give u the correct answer

worm
05-05-2006, 06:45 PM
I actually got lucky. The guy i bought it off forgot to date the transfer papers, so i can actually drive it around for a whole year without stressing. Once I get the RWC, ill just fill in the date 8)

syncro
05-05-2006, 08:22 PM
In NSW you are allowed to go 15mm larger diameter.

gldgti
05-05-2006, 09:51 PM
i say euro mechanic in that they seem to get that "ahh, another little golf... hmm, wheels still on - check. brakes do something... check. ahh, should be right..."

Golfwise
05-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Here in Tas we don't have checks and we can virtually do what we like.
20 in wheels blah blah. :lol:

imported_brackie
06-05-2006, 06:43 AM
I actually got lucky. The guy i bought it off forgot to date the transfer papers, so i can actually drive it around for a whole year without stressing. Once I get the RWC, ill just fill in the date 8)

Whatever you do...Make sure you fix that steering properly :!: Also if he forgot to date the transfer papers any speeding fines, parking tickets etc will go to him, not you. Could be a source of :evil:

worm
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM

Whatever you do...Make sure you fix that steering properly :!: Also if he forgot to date the transfer papers any speeding fines, parking tickets etc will go to him, not you. Could be a source of :evil:

And his residential address is written down as singapore :lol:

Watch the news, my cars going to be on it!

*Man in Singapore robs melbourne bank* :P