PDA

View Full Version : Discover Media start-up delay ??

Nauend
21-07-2013, 11:51 AM
I'd read in another post that someone had experienced the rear camera not working a couple of times, and I'd experienced it once as well. The author of the other post thought that perhaps it was another part of the "smarts" of the mk7 where the camera wont display on the discover media screen in certain conditions. Turning the car off and on fixed the problem.

It happened in my car for a second time yesterday - no display from the rear camera when reversing though the usual range of chirps from the ever watchful proximity sensors rang throughout the car.

This time I did not turn the car off and on to fix it but simply continued with my journey. As I started driving forward I heard the camera close like it normally does.

The discovery media system' screen remained blank and the system was silent too and I realised it looks like the issue was the discover media system had not started/booted. As I'm driving, about 10 meters down the road the VW symbol pops up on the screen, sits there for a few seconds then the audio came on as did the "warning about using GPS" message (ironic that it wants me to press an ok button regarding safety when I'm driving, but that's another matter) and it was all back to normal.

Anyone else experiencing similar behaviour?

AdamD
21-07-2013, 01:18 PM
The RNS-510/RVC in my Mk6 can do the same thing. You do need to let the system at least partially boot up (the RVC module(s) within the head unit need to be started before it can display on the screen), otherwise you'll get no picture, or a black image. I'd suggest you give the head unit at least 10-15 seconds or so to start up while you have your ignition turned on, before starting the car.

(If the car's already been running within the last 20 mins or so, the head unit is likely still 'awake' and should start up immediately when you turn on the ignition; they only shut down completely after 20+ minutes of inactivity.)

dubstyle
22-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah same here. When I start up the car I have to leave it to run for about 30-60secs before I reverse down my driveway to give the headunit time to boot up otherwise camera doesn't come one.

I'm learning to live with it, and now reverse into my driveway meaning I can drive straight out when I start the car up and don't need to worry about the camera.

readerr0r
24-07-2013, 07:28 AM
I haven't driven a mk7 yet but in the mk6/polo unlocking the car does cause the rns to boot up (the screen stays off but you can hear it) which gives it some extra time to get ready. So if you find yourself unlocking the car late in your morning car ritual, perhaps try unlocking it earlier?