PDA

View Full Version : Things you don't like about your MK7

dubstyle
15-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I am a huge lover of Golfs. I've owned 3xmk1's, 3 or 4 mk3's , 2xmk4's, 1xmk5 and 1xmk 6

On the whole I love my Mk7 110Tdi Highline but there are a couple of little things I dont like and was wondering if others had pet hates.

My biggest dislike is that I can't access my phone book through the MFD. On the Mk6 it was so easy to go into phone book and dialed/recieved/missed calls but with the Mk7 I have to go through the infotainment screen on the stereo. This means I'm taking my hand off the steering wheel and my eyes away from the road more than if it was on the MFD in the dashboard straight infront of me

IMO the mk6 bluetooth was much more user friendly.

What dont you like about yours??

diesel_DSG
15-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Hi Dubstyle,

your post has me thinking quite critically about my Mk7, and truthfully, theres not much I dont like about it, other than I dont get enough of a chance to drive it! hehe

OK, the smear of the drivers' side wiper not cleaning the screen properly. A known thing, and something i'll bring up with the dealer shortly.

The thing needs a wheel balance. I've got VW 'Motorsport' 18's on it, and at 110+km/h theres a slight wobble. Im hoping its just a wheel balance.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/photo3_zps7003df53-1.jpg

Keeping it clean. First white car, and its worse than black for showing up grime.

Im not 100% happy with the way my iPhone connects to the car, it works seamlessly with bluetooth, but i'd like to see album art on that lovely screen in the dash. Maybe thats a little unrealistic of me to expect that?

So really, not much I'm unhappy with. Maybe a 'what are we happy with' thread might be in order? hehe

Sam

Mountainman
15-07-2013, 10:38 PM
I am a huge lover of Golfs. I've owned 3xmk1's, 3 or 4 mk3's , 2xmk4's, 1xmk5 and 1xmk 6

On the whole I love my Mk7 110Tdi Highline but there are a couple of little things I dont like and was wondering if others had pet hates.

My biggest dislike is that I can't access my phone book through the MFD. On the Mk6 it was so easy to go into phone book and dialed/recieved/missed calls but with the Mk7 I have to go through the infotainment screen on the stereo. This means I'm taking my hand off the steering wheel and my eyes away from the road more than if it was on the MFD in the dashboard straight infront of me

I don't know why you can't because I certainly can on mine. Only use wheel controls and on MFD. What happens when you press that phone button on the right hand side? And then the OK? And use the up/down buttons?

rpps
16-07-2013, 07:53 AM
I have the base model 90ts with manual transmission, it's my first Golf and I love everything about the car except the poor FM radio reception that keeps dropping out. It seems to be a fault in the base model radio and the dealer is waiting for a fix from VW, this has gone on for over 6 weeks now and I think it's pretty poor in this day and age not being able to get a good radio signal.

thezoneR32
16-07-2013, 07:57 AM
My biggest gripe with the MK7 is that I don't own one yet.

b c
16-07-2013, 09:23 AM
4 mth wait from order to delivery. The ship I think mine is on is in Baltimore today.

Oh, and VW still don't have an oem towbar available, or a date when it will be available.

Eaglehawk
16-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Having the stop/start system reset after you turn off the car. It should let you keep the setting!

Oh, the the rubber mat on the driver's side doesn't cover all the carpet under the peddles, but perhaps that's a safety thing?

diesel_DSG
16-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Take 2 - ok its only the first time I've experienced it thus far, but I fear a gremlin in the tailgate electrics. Today the rear wiper/squirter wasnt working, and the reverse camera didnt deploy. Turned the engine off, restarted and they both did.

The wiper didnt work twice today, both times the car was on a (VERY) minor sideways tilt, i.e. not as much tilt as when you park with one side on the nature strip and the other on the road. On a flat surface, the wiper and squirter worked fine.

The reverse camera, well it didnt come on at all. Stopped and restarted, and it came on perfectly.

Im hoping that both these systems didnt come on to a specific set of parameters not being met for the ECU, rather than it being an electric gremlin somewhere in the system. I've checked the owners manual and googled it, to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Sam

exzibit
16-07-2013, 01:28 PM
MK7 90 TSI Comfortline. It's quite a fun drive and I enjoy driving it but there's far too many impractical or poorly thought of designs for me to ever recommend it to anyone.

1. Wastegate rattle when accelerating around the 2500 rpm mark. Hell. Annoying. This one is a cardinal sin, the rest are quirks and are just a matter of getting used to but a brand new car should not have bloody rattles coming from it.

2. The way you have to turn and twist your wrist to get the ignition key to start. All other cars I've driven and owned the turn is a 90 degrees turn. On the VW, it's almost 180 degrees.

3. You have to be stepping on the brake to start the engine. I start and leave the engine running for a few minutes on cold mornings and it's inconvenient having to get into the car just to start it.

4. Cruise control is not intuitively designed and you really need to be looking down on it to engage it. Cruise control on the Mercedes for example, is a lever that you flick up once to engage and press brake to disengage. Flicking up in small movements increases speed and a full flick increases by 10km/h and vice versa by flicking down. On the VW, I have to be looking at the controls to locate the +/- sign and the RES to increase speed incrementally and be careful that the setting is not on speed limiter and not cruise control.

5. The lights/parker lights/daytime running lights are ALWAYS on and even turning to OFF doesn't switch it off completely.

6. If you accidentally leave the right/left indicator on when you stop the engine, the tail brake light and front light don't turn off on that one side. Lovely. Looking forward to coming back to a dead battery.

7. The speedometer awkwardly changes. e.g. From 40-60km/h there's 5 notches, then from 60-100km/h there's 5 notches. When I drove it for the first time, I was accelerating at 100km/h thinking that it was the 80km/h reading.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/644223_413750088685637_1054072889_n.jpg

8. Agreed with above on the stop/start system although this is the same on all new Mercedes models as well.

9. Very tight fit to access the USB port for people with large hands.

Eaglehawk
16-07-2013, 02:29 PM
MK7 90 TSI Comfortline.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

That's not a pic of your own car right? I didn't think we got colour MFDs in Australia...

exzibit
16-07-2013, 04:09 PM
That's not a pic of your own car right? I didn't think we got colour MFDs in Australia...

Nope, just a googled image..

dubstyle
16-07-2013, 05:43 PM
You're right about the cruise control. Very awkward compared to the mk5/6 click and press.

Harrydhillon
16-07-2013, 06:51 PM
MK7 90 TSI Comfortline. It's quite a fun drive and I enjoy driving it but there's far too many impractical or poorly thought of designs for me to ever recommend it to anyone.

1. Wastegate rattle when accelerating around the 2500 rpm mark. Hell. Annoying. This one is a cardinal sin, the rest are quirks and are just a matter of getting used to but a brand new car should not have bloody rattles coming from it.

2. The way you have to turn and twist your wrist to get the ignition key to start. All other cars I've driven and owned the turn is a 90 degrees turn. On the VW, it's almost 180 degrees.

3. You have to be stepping on the brake to start the engine. I start and leave the engine running for a few minutes on cold mornings and it's inconvenient having to get into the car just to start it.

4. Cruise control is not intuitively designed and you really need to be looking down on it to engage it. Cruise control on the Mercedes for example, is a lever that you flick up once to engage and press brake to disengage. Flicking up in small movements increases speed and a full flick increases by 10km/h and vice versa by flicking down. On the VW, I have to be looking at the controls to locate the +/- sign and the RES to increase speed incrementally and be careful that the setting is not on speed limiter and not cruise control.

5. The lights/parker lights/daytime running lights are ALWAYS on and even turning to OFF doesn't switch it off completely.

6. If you accidentally leave the right/left indicator on when you stop the engine, the tail brake light and front light don't turn off on that one side. Lovely. Looking forward to coming back to a dead battery.

7. The speedometer awkwardly changes. e.g. From 40-60km/h there's 5 notches, then from 60-100km/h there's 5 notches. When I drove it for the first time, I was accelerating at 100km/h thinking that it was the 80km/h reading.

8. Agreed with above on the stop/start system although this is the same on all new Mercedes models as well.

9. Very tight fit to access the USB port for people with large hands.

Hey

Pt3: safety first :)
Pt4: agree re the cruise control but you get used to it after a while :)

Pt 5: daylight running lights are meant to be always on with the ignition - increase visibility on the road.

Pt 6: that's a safety feature in most European cars - wont drain the battery that quick as it only operates at low voltage - if I remember correctly it only works in the dark - stops someone running into your parked car in the dark

Harry
MY13.5 Red Polo GTI

thezoneR32
16-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Hey

Pt 6: that's a safety feature in most European cars - wont drain the battery that quick as it only operates at low voltage - if I remember correctly it only works in the dark - stops someone running into your parked car in the dark

Harry
MY13.5 Red Polo GTI

Thats been a feature on euro cars since the dawn of time. Its for fog conditions. All of these issues. Maybe Ill stick to my mk5? Or maybe you guys are just the guinea pigs?

vitagen
16-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Just picked up my demo MK7 DSG Comfortline..... first Golf I own and the rattling is Really annoying, so is the driver side wiper as mentioned. Also, why coudnt they have given LED Delay all around?

Anyone know when the fix is happening?

Eaglehawk
16-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Just picked up my demo MK7 DSG Comfortline..... first Golf I own and the rattling is Really annoying, so is the driver side wiper as mentioned.

Assuming you're talking about the same rattle...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-23.html#post972117

vitagen
16-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Yup same rattle

Mountainman
16-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Just picked up my demo MK7 DSG Comfortline..... first Golf I own and the rattling is Really annoying, so is the driver side wiper as mentioned. Also, why coudnt they have given LED Delay all around?

Do I have the only 90TSI that doesn't have the rattle? 3000km now and no sign of it. Hope it stays that way.

Nauend
16-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Just over 1000 kms travelled so far and the only real complaint I have is that slow spot before the RPMs hit 1500 and the turbo kicks in.

It's also the first car that I have had to read and then reread the manual given all the features the car does have and I still don't know it all - I tested that pt 6 from exzibit and they do stay on which is cool.

I did experience the rear camera not coming on when reversing once, and assumed the car had a reason for doing that given its got a bit of a mind of it's own (e.g. like the auto stop/start not working every time)!

Now back to the manual to work out how to get pictures of phone contacts to be displayed......

VUU
16-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Mk7 103TSI Highline, 2000km so far. My first VW and there is very little I don't like about it. Definitely recommend the car.
Minor annoyances (at first but have either got used to or accepted):
Driver side wiper smear (will follow this through with dealer)
No voice activation (just mutes head unit in Oz cars)
Traffic button not functional (in all Oz cars)
Nav voice pronunciation of some street names/types/instructions is way off, always good for a giggle.
Dash dials not illuminated unless headlights on (?)

thezoneR32
16-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Just over 1000 kms travelled so far and the only real complaint I have is that slow spot before the RPMs hit 1500 and the turbo kicks in.

Uh that slow spot just before 1500rpm is called idle.

Nauend
17-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Uh that slow spot just before 1500rpm is called idle.

lol. Perhaps a better way to describe it is there is an obvious hesitation when accelerating from a stopped position. Experienced it on the three grades of Mk7 that I test drove and still getting used to it. The falcon I used to drive would stick the boot in straight away without hesitation, so I expect its just a matter of me getting used to the smaller 1.4 turbo combo (as well as front wheel drive).

exzibit
17-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Hey

Pt3: safety first :)
Pt4: agree re the cruise control but you get used to it after a while :)

Pt 5: daylight running lights are meant to be always on with the ignition - increase visibility on the road.

Harry
MY13.5 Red Polo GTI

Pt3: not having this feature makes starting the car more dangerous? How so?

Pt5: would be better if this was an option, if it says OFF, I expect it to be switched off, common sense would seem to indicate as much. If it comes on with AUTO on, I wouldn't have a dislike of it.

Pt6: Nope, happened in broad daylight when I parked outside my house to wash the car and was wondering why the bloody hell one side was on and not the other.

exzibit
17-07-2013, 01:02 AM
lol. Perhaps a better way to describe it is there is an obvious hesitation when accelerating from a stopped position. Experienced it on the three grades of Mk7 that I test drove and still getting used to it. The falcon I used to drive would stick the boot in straight away without hesitation, so I expect its just a matter of me getting used to the smaller 1.4 turbo combo (as well as front wheel drive).

I know exactly what you're talking about. There is a subtle but noticeable lag from a standing start before the turbo suddenly kicks in. I've adapted to it by easing up on the accelerator just before the boost so it's a more even acceleration, otherwise, it's quite a jerky take off. Another quirk of the DSG gearbox, I'm led to believe. Even a crappy underpowered Hyundai had a more responsive and even acceleration. Having said that, after the takeoff, the rest of the drive is really quite smooth and enjoyable.

Mountainman
17-07-2013, 06:51 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about. There is a subtle but noticeable lag from a standing start before the turbo suddenly kicks in. I've adapted to it by easing up on the accelerator just before the boost so it's a more even acceleration, otherwise, it's quite a jerky take off. Another quirk of the DSG gearbox, I'm led to believe. Even a crappy underpowered Hyundai had a more responsive and even acceleration. Having said that, after the takeoff, the rest of the drive is really quite smooth and enjoyable.

With the manual you have the advantage of giving it a few more revs as the clutch is released on any reasonably brisk start and you're immediately in that torque band. The "softness" is only noticeable when really pussy-footing it.

Mountainman
17-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Actually 90 degrees in the "on" position and about 120 degrees to engage start. What I do find annoying is that the 12 volt power outlet doesn't work unless the ignition is on. Can sit an listen to the radio with the ignition off but the phone can't be charged. Jap cars have a useful key position called accessory.

thezoneR32
17-07-2013, 07:59 AM

This will most likely be the DSG. You'll develop a love/hate relationship with it. Hate it because it makes you feel like you dont know how to drive anymore,/love it because once you learn its nuisances you will be quicker than anything else around you.

Sunny43.5
17-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Whilst not a current Golf owner I found out in Germany from a dealer that because there are many old towns with very narrow streets drivers can leave either side indicator tail lights on so other drivers can see them in the dark depending which side of the road you park on .DLR lights are my pet hate again in countries like Europe and Northern America [in some Canadian areas its mandantory for the headlights to be on all the time ] because of the weather conditions foggy drizzly days it is a safety feature . Here in Australia they should be optional it would be so simple for the headlight switch to have an "off" position , I suppose my dislike is some of these cars with massive LED displays on during the day which just sceams Look at Me Look at Me .

soogs
17-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Apparently the wiper smear problem is widespread as it has also been commented in the UK forums. Apparently the right side wiper is too long? thus the arm isn't firm enough to push it against the screen.

I guess the slow take off is what Wheels mag described as doughy accelerator, a bit wooden like the Mercs.

cathaldinneen
17-07-2013, 10:07 AM
This will most likely be the DSG. You'll develop a love/hate relationship with it. Hate it because it makes you feel like you dont know how to drive anymore,/love it because once you learn its nuisances you will be quicker than anything else around you.

Correct, I drove my bosses BMW 1M DSG and I had the same sensation as you describe so it's not a MkVII problem more a symptom of driving a DSG.

FSI 220
17-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Pt3: not having this feature makes starting the car more dangerous? How so?

is that the foot on brake thing? Is your car a manual?

Did you read about the Reporter that took the manual Porsche home for a review? Teenage son gets in to "check out the stereo", wants to hear the engine, didnt realise the car was in gear (who drives stick in the states right?) turns key whilst blipping on accel puts it through the garage and writes off the car (or somesuch)....

Wouldnt happen in your case, yes but one muppet in the US and its a lawsuit (although we are not far behind)... is yours with DSG? it probbably has common programming in it... lowest common denominator and all that...

pologti18t
17-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Wouldnt happen in your case, yes but one muppet in the US and its a lawsuit (although we are not far behind)... is yours with DSG? it probably has common programming in it... lowest common denominator and all that...

Foot on brake to start car is widespread in the car world. It was started by the unintended acceleration case against AUDI in the mid 1980s. Of course it was proven to be operator error.

I do wonder by some of the other people's posts if they actually test drove the car before buying. Any driveline issues (delay, lag etc) would have been plainly obvious during a test drive.

This is common in euro cars and I think has been standard in Golfs since the MK5. Why count "notches"? Just look at the number :)

elephino
17-07-2013, 01:43 PM

In manuals you need to have your foot on the clutch. Just added safety.

I would have thought you could turn off the DRLs (as a separate process to turning normal headlights on/off). Should be in the manual how to do it, was this way in the Mk6.

Did you have the headlights switched to on? Previously it's been that you have lights switched to parking or on (not auto) and indicate then turn the engine off.

Pretty much all European manufacturers do that these days. You should get used to it pretty quickly :)

Nauend
17-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Yep, that's what it feels like. I knew the hesitation was there but bought the car anyway because of all the plus's with the car, especially that once it's past that hesitation it's a bit of a demon. Have to watch my driving as larger cars get seriously annoyed when the mild mannered sunset red golf is not as mild mannered at they thought!

VUU
17-07-2013, 03:01 PM
With the manual you have the advantage of giving it a few more revs as the clutch is released on any reasonably brisk start and you're immediately in that torque band. The "softness" is only noticeable when really pussy-footing it.

This is what I have noticed as well. If you are a little more assertive in accelerating, I do not notice the hesitation.

Ryan_R
17-07-2013, 03:12 PM
General replies not directed to anyone in particular:

Re. Foot on Brake to start. My Mk6 DSG doesn't have this requirement. I'm guessing this has something to do with the electronic parking brake switch (easier to accidentally release it?)

Re. DSG takeoff. Just remember a computer is controlling a clutch for you without being able to see the road/traffic conditions ahead. If normal acceleration was perfectly responsive you'd probably complain about jerkiness in stop/start traffic instead. Just takes a lil getting used to, just imagine you are driving a manual and it'll become second nature soon enough. (You have driven a manual before, right?) :)

Re. Turbo lag. Use sport mode or select gears manually when you anticipate wanting immediate acceleration response (i.e. overtaking someone).

Re. DRL's - a study a few years ago found that you are 30% less likely to not be seen and therefore be in an accident with DRLs. Sorry I don't have a link, just something I remember reading. If you still really hate it then there will probably be a VCDS setting for it, will just take a while for someone to find and document it since it's a new car. And as already mentioned if you leave the indicator on, that lights on that side glow so that someone doesn't crash into you in low visibility weather. Possibly something that can be disabled in VCDS but just as easy to change habits or live with. At the end of the day it's a European feature.

Hope this helps

diesel_DSG
17-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Im hesitant to contribute for a 3rd time to this thread, because I really do love my Mk7.. but...

Went to fill up today, f*&#ing fuel filler flap is jammed closed. Locked then unlocked the car, still jammed shut. Managed to pry it open by pushing gently on the diagonally opposite edge. Checked the mechanism, nothing untoward visible there.

This really is the straw that broke the camels back for me, booked into Barlow World Mt Waverley tomorrow for an examination.

Not happy Jan!

exzibit
17-07-2013, 08:00 PM
In manuals you need to have your foot on the clutch. Just added safety.

I would have thought you could turn off the DRLs (as a separate process to turning normal headlights on/off). Should be in the manual how to do it, was this way in the Mk6.

Did you have the headlights switched to on? Previously it's been that you have lights switched to parking or on (not auto) and indicate then turn the engine off.

Pretty much all European manufacturers do that these days. You should get used to it pretty quickly :)

Nope, it's an automatic transmission.

Will have to check the manual, but unless it's some sort of up down, up down, left right left right, AB, select then start code, the lighting knob seems like it would be straight forward. :p

Nope, headlights were on AUTO then I tried OFF, and opening and closing the lock mechanism before turning on the engine and realising the indicator was on.

I've owned 3 Mercedes in the past 5 years and none of them have that odd speedometer gapping. Yes, I got used to it after the first drive, but it still seems odd.

AdamD
18-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Nope, headlights were on AUTO then I tried OFF, and opening and closing the lock mechanism before turning on the engine and realising the indicator was on.

This is the same with the Mk6, and many other cars (not just VW). The headlight switch itself can be in any position (including auto), but if you have the indicator stalk in the left or right position when the car is off, the corresponding front and rear parking bulbs will be on. This is a very common European feature. I don't believe it can be disabled. The easy fix if you don't like it is to simply not park with the indicator switch in the left or right position - always centre the stalk before turning the car off.

elephino
18-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Nope, it's an automatic transmission.

Will have to check the manual, but unless it's some sort of up down, up down, left right left right, AB, select then start code, the lighting knob seems like it would be straight forward. :p

I've owned 3 Mercedes in the past 5 years and none of them have that odd speedometer gapping. Yes, I got used to it after the first drive, but it still seems odd.

"up down, up down, left right left right, AB, select then start code" is for the car to do a roundhouse kick :)

Just had a quick check, the new A-Class has a changing increment now. In 10s to 60 then in 20km/h jumps after that, so Merc has changed their ways.

pologti18t
18-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Even commodores have it :)http://www.topgear.com/au/assets/cms/fc7edd81-e0cb-49e9-9da3-2e63bc09d77e/670x377Image.jpg?p=130209_11:49

Mutley251
18-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the placement of the window controls, maybe it's just me. They seem awkward to use, the arm movement to control them seems very unnatural.

My other gripe is there is no in dash music Apps. I thought like the new Commodores they would get a look in, particularly Pandora and Spotify.

I should add, these are very minor gripes in what otherwise is a fantastic car!

exzibit
18-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Even commodores have it :)http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/670x377Imagejpgp130209_1149-1.jpg
You mean after 140km/h? :) What kind of tool drives at that speed anyway?

thezoneR32
19-07-2013, 08:18 AM
I fear this is a step to going down the Japanese path of limiting the speedo to 180. I still like my MK5 Gti one that is equally spaced all the way to 300! These new ones look a bit....childish... a bit dumbed down for the masses.

elephino
19-07-2013, 10:10 AM
I fear this is a step to going down the Japanese path of limiting the speedo to 180. I still like my MK5 Gti one that is equally spaced all the way to 300! These new ones look a bit....childish... a bit dumbed down for the masses.

My Mk5 GTI wasn't equally spaced. It did something similar to the Mk6 & 7.

Eaglehawk
19-07-2013, 02:34 PM
...what I don't like?

After 6 weeks of ownership, I got rear ended :(

Minor one, but still heartbreaking after getting a new car so soon...

pologti18t
19-07-2013, 04:01 PM
My Mk5 GTI wasn't equally spaced. It did something similar to the Mk6 & 7.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/imagesqtbnANd9GcSDAKIDWeCfbp9v3n4HmU7Q6S-1.jpg

Even my Polo GTI does a similar thing. It's very useful.

Ryan_R
24-07-2013, 03:04 PM
If you start the car facing uphill (steep driveway), it refuses to let you turn on Auto Hold. You have to start accelerating against the handbrake and then disengage it when you feel the car pull.

vitagen
24-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Why didnt they give you the auto dimming side mirrors with the rear view one in the comfortline?

pologti18t
25-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Why didnt they give you the auto dimming side mirrors with the rear view one in the comfortline?

$$$$$ most likely answer. Other makes in that price range don't offer that feature?

vitagen
25-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Well It's a feature of the comfortline spec upgrade. I would have thought they would do both the side mirrors with the rear view one.

gustogroove
12-08-2013, 03:58 PM
On my MKVII I run all my music off an SD card. What I dont like about this is the fact that I cannot search my music alphabetically. Extremely frustrating given how many music files we all have these days. If the car had full iPod compatibility this would not be an issue as we could all run it from the iPod and use all the great iPod search features.

Clarkee_vw
17-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Everyone complaining about not being able to search for playlists, artist or whatever...

You're taking your eye's off the road to do this plus whats wrong with just listening to your music randomly or making a playlist or folder that you use just for driving??

We never had these luxuries with the old tape players..

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

thezoneR32
17-08-2013, 11:12 PM
On my MKVII I run all my music off an SD card. What I dont like about this is the fact that I cannot search my music alphabetically. Extremely frustrating given how many music files we all have these days. If the car had full iPod compatibility this would not be an issue as we could all run it from the iPod and use all the great iPod search features.

Its because the VW units don't support tags, so you need to organise everything into folders old school like. Which is so 2005! Jeez we get lazy don't we? I bet we downloaded all these mp3's as well. Problem is we want everything perfectly organised and don't want to pay for it or put any effort in to it. Personally I f*&cking hate ipods and iphones as they treat you like an idiot and say "Hey fella, you've had a hard day, why don't I just scan your computer for all your stupid crap sounding mp3's and shove them all onto your phone an Ill just orgainse them for you".

tonymy01
17-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Lol... fruity devices, removing all folder structure haha.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Ryan_R
18-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Put your music + playlists on your phone and stream it via bluetooth.

Nauend
19-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Have seen the same thing, and it seems to be sorting based on creation date maybe? I will see if that date is easily changed and if it makes a difference and respond either way.

Full iPod connectivity would be great. I wonder what changes ios7 will bring and if that will mean better Bluetooth integration or perhaps a firmware update from vw which brings better Bluetooth integration........

Theothercarisabike
20-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Still no date on when tow bars will be available on the MkVII! (And having to take it back with a number of minor issues - such as radio reception etc).

gustogroove
23-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Its because the VW units don't support tags, so you need to organise everything into folders old school like. Which is so 2005! Jeez we get lazy don't we? I bet we downloaded all these mp3's as well. Problem is we want everything perfectly organised and don't want to pay for it or put any effort in to it. Personally I f*&cking hate ipods and iphones as they treat you like an idiot and say "Hey fella, you've had a hard day, why don't I just scan your computer for all your stupid crap sounding mp3's and shove them all onto your phone an Ill just orgainse them for you".

Good discussion people. Back on topic, I am interested to hear how you all do a quick search for a particular song on a 64Gb SDD card in your MKVII? Oh wait...

Brew69
31-08-2013, 04:50 AM
The side mirrors look great but really are too small and don't give good vision.

Eaglehawk
01-09-2013, 07:54 PM
10 spokes. 10 gaps.

6 surfaces per spoke, 2 surfaces per gap.

80 surfaces per wheel. 4 wheels. 320 surfaces to clean.

ARGH!!!

Brew69
02-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Drivers side wipers. Anyone had a result with this?

pologti18t
02-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Drivers side wipers. Anyone had a result with this?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/front-wipers-87634.html

Baz 55
02-09-2013, 11:21 PM
I test drove a DSG 90 TSI and it had the same pause
I picked up my Comfortline 90 TSI with DSG and it has it too. The dealer said all the DSG s have that pause - to do with the "manual" gearbox engaging the engine. If you look closely on take off it starts in gear 1 but goes to 2 instantly, that seems to be the pause.
He suggested just to give it a little more throttle on take off and it flattens it out. It does. More of an idiosyncrasy and a bit of getting used to.
The rest of the car is a dream. One bonus was a little flick back on the DSG to put it in Sport mode, where it turns into a rocket. I was wondering if all Golfs had it or is it part of the Drivers Assist package I got ?

Nauend
02-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Sport mode, where it turns into a rocket. I was wondering if all Golfs had it or is it part of the Drivers Assist package I got ?

Flicking the gear stick back to change between D and S modes is on my 103, and no driver assist pack installed, so it may be standard. Makes a hell of a difference. I suspect the s mode is the thing that's keeping my fuel usage a little higher as I'm flicking it into s mode constantly.........

pologti18t
03-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Flicking the gear stick back to change between D and S modes is on my 103, and no driver assist pack installed, so it may be standard. Makes a hell of a difference. I suspect the s mode is the thing that's keeping my fuel usage a little higher as I'm flicking it into s mode constantly.........

S (sports) mode is standard for DSG cars. It holds gears for longer (higher revs) and it holds onto a lower gear for longer after lifting off the throttle (overtaking). Some one can also confirm that the car wont select 6th or 7th gear until much higher speeds are reached. Generally its a pain around town... great on a winding mountain road.

R1200GS
03-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Wipers (will be fixed by dealer), Can't turn auto stop off permanently (dealer will do it, but does not recommend this), Radio reception (dealer will update software), Visibility from side mirrors (will fit small fish eye mirrors to the corners of the mirrors). First gear too low in 6 speed manual (but good for stop start traffic I guess)
It's a lot of car for the price, I'm really very happy overall........

Eaglehawk
03-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Can't turn auto stop off permanently (dealer will do it, but does not recommend this).

Is this change making the button moot? Or will it actually keep the setting between restarts?

Ryan_R
03-09-2013, 04:39 PM
For any new Golf owners here who didn't know, Guy Harding had a DSG tune available for the Mk6 generation that held gears a little longer in D, and allowing upshifts into 7th in S.

With the standard software I was constantly going for Manual mode to grab the gear I wanted (and retrofitted a steering wheel with paddles to that cause), but with the DSG tune have rarely used the paddles since. It may become available for the Mk7 Golf later on if anyone is interested (assuming it's not already compatible, I can't remember what DQxxx is in the Mk7).

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f177/harding-performance-dsg-software-hardware-program-73662.html

Brew69
03-09-2013, 05:55 PM
I didn't know the S mode was there. All I can say is WOW! Goodbye economy lol

Baz 55
03-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Brew69 - yeah it is so tempting to flick back the gear shift the 2 cm and go nuts !!!

Nauend
03-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Brew69 - yeah it is so tempting to flick back the gear shift the 2 cm and go nuts !!!

it's too tempting.....and does not help the pursuit of low fuel usage, but surely flicking it into S one more time will be ok....... And if this is what the 90 or 103 is like, what is the GTI like?

readerr0r
06-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Wassereinbruch in VW Golf VII, Audi A3 und Seat Leon - autobild.de (http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-golf-vii-skandal-im-dauertest-4362680.html)

Worth keeping an eye out for all current Golf 7 owners. Basically water may build up in the front passenger footwell (or, depending on how the RHD conversion was done for us, the driver footwell).

This is a German report so not idea if RHD cars have the problem at all.

Nauend
12-09-2013, 08:58 AM
These are most likely just random but....

. have had one situation where the car seemed to, i dont know, take a few seconds longer to decide it needed to move forward from a stopped position when I pressed the accelerator
. the auto brake engages based on the pressure you put on the foot brake, so if you press lightly it won't engage - all good, but there have been a couple of times when I'd expected it to have engaged and it didn't as the car started rolling backwards - might be a fine line between engaging or not, but am monitoring now to see if it's me or the car. I have to read up about auto hold too I think
. switching from D to S occasionally confuses the DSG and it seems to drop into a gear that is too low - the engine roar is a bit harsh (I need to limit use of S anyway as not eco enough, and also practice timing of changing into S perhaps)
. car forgot/reset the long term fuel usage info

Ryan_R
12-09-2013, 09:45 AM
It may take a little longer but instead of shifting to S you could go sideways and down 2-3 times to shift down manually. Then either push up to go a gear higher manually or back into D and it'll pick a higher gear again.

Mountainman
12-09-2013, 11:51 AM
My only real dislike is the dull halogen headlights. No wonder the bi-xenons (not available on the base model and $2000+ is a ridiculous amount to add to a $21500 car) are such a popular option on more expensive models (even if they are the ugliest looking lights that really spoil the front design). When you think how VW has set such a high standard of design for the rest of the car it makes me wonder why they think the standard headlight system can be acceptable. My Forester (and Camry before that) are so much better.

Nauend
13-09-2013, 11:08 PM
It may take a little longer but instead of shifting to S you could go sideways and down 2-3 times to shift down manually. Then either push up to go a gear higher manually or back into D and it'll pick a higher gear again.

good idea!

rpps
14-09-2013, 07:21 AM
These are most likely just random but....

. have had one situation where the car seemed to, i dont know, take a few seconds longer to decide it needed to move forward from a stopped position when I pressed the accelerator
. the auto brake engages based on the pressure you put on the foot brake, so if you press lightly it won't engage - all good, but there have been a couple of times when I'd expected it to have engaged and it didn't as the car started rolling backwards - might be a fine line between engaging or not, but am monitoring now to see if it's me or the car. I have to read up about auto hold too I think
. switching from D to S occasionally confuses the DSG and it seems to drop into a gear that is too low - the engine roar is a bit harsh (I need to limit use of S anyway as not eco enough, and also practice timing of changing into S perhaps)
. car forgot/reset the long term fuel usage info
I had the same problem with the Auto Brake and HSA function with my Golf, I applied the brakes on a hill then took my foot off the brake pedal and the car started rolling back. A orange warning light came on the dash plus a warning message saying "Park Brake Malfunction". I could only get the HSA function to work again by stopping the car and turning the engine off and then on. Hopefully there's a code been generated and when I take it into the dealer they can find out what's wrong. Makes you wonder how problematic this feature will be as the car gets older.

Nauend
14-09-2013, 03:09 PM
I had the same problem with the Auto Brake and HSA function with my Golf, I applied the brakes on a hill then took my foot off the brake pedal and the car started rolling back. A orange warning light came on the dash plus a warning message saying "Park Brake Malfunction". I could only get the HSA function to work again by stopping the car and turning the engine off and then on. Hopefully there's a code been generated and when I take it into the dealer they can find out what's wrong. Makes you wonder how problematic this feature will be as the car gets older.

let us know how you go. I didn't see any warning messages when it happened in my car.

LMF
20-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Wassereinbruch in VW Golf VII, Audi A3 und Seat Leon - autobild.de (http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-golf-vii-skandal-im-dauertest-4362680.html)

Worth keeping an eye out for all current Golf 7 owners. Basically water may build up in the front passenger footwell (or, depending on how the RHD conversion was done for us, the driver footwell).

This is a German report so not idea if RHD cars have the problem at all.

I haven't had a chance to turn on the air con more then 10mins while driving (it is still cool here in Canberra) and I would like to know if the RHD version having this potential problem or not. Is anyone here experienced this?

jarryd
23-09-2013, 06:30 AM
I hate that in an empty carpark some wanker wants to park right next to your shiny new car , this happened twice yesterday and I just wanted to go off at them.

applegen
26-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Things I don't like:

1. the long wait since start of June and still has no track record despite having VIN number.

2. the dealer that always takes 2 emails from me to reply. slack.

DP Vic
26-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Things I don't like:

1. the long wait since start of June and still has no track record despite having VIN number.

2. the dealer that always takes 2 emails from me to reply. slack.

+1 :facepalm:

Sootchucker
27-09-2013, 05:54 PM
After 2 weeks ownership, there are only 3 things I don't like and 2 are related to the bluetooth (and possibly just down to an iPhone).

1. No contact photos are shown when spee dials are programmed in (seems to only work with some Android / windows based phones).

2. Biggest one is that the contacts on the phone are not availabe through the DIS in the instruments, requiring you to reach over to the head unit to find a contact, taking your hand off the steering wheel in the process - again, this might be iPhone specific ? Doesn't strike me as the safest way to make a call ! I tried using the Discover Nav Pro's voice commands, but just can't seem to get on with it.

3. In the UK the full colour DIS screen is standard on the GTI / GTD, but it's very poorly implemented. Other than a colour image of the car when the doors are open, and a slight hint of colour for line seperators etc., it's pretty much a monchrome screen. Even on the nav screen, the nav directions are not like Audi's i.e. with the direction arrows in a nice deep blue, but on the Golf they are standard white !

Other things are more slight dissapointments rather than don't likes...

1. I miss the red submarine lights coming down from the overhead panel (looked well cool at night), but I guess they wouldn't go with the MK7's new all white lighting set up ?

2. Would be nice if we could program the coming home lights to come on automatically rather than having to flash the mainbeam first.

3. Would have liked a setting to unfold the door mirrors on unlocking the car so that the puddles lights in the mirrors actually switch on and illuminate the ground as you approach. With the mirrors folded, the puddles lights don't work.

4. A 12V socket in the back (below the air vents would have been nice), for the kids to plug their electronic devices in.

5. Really can't see the point of the small A-Pillar windows ?

jarryd
27-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get the contact list displayed , I remember seeing it when the dealer was setting up our car , I haven't tried it yet but my wife is pretty sure it displays them

Ryan_R
27-09-2013, 07:34 PM
The Mk6 does this - have never checked in the Mk7

Auto coming home lights can be enabled in the Mk6 with VCDS too, someone will probably work out how to do it in the Mk7 eventually

NCGR1
11-09-2014, 04:57 AM
....6. If you accidentally leave the right/left indicator on when you stop the engine, the tail brake light and front light don't turn off on that one side. Lovely. Looking forward to coming back to a dead battery.....

European designed vehicles have had that as a feature for decades. For parking the vehicle on a narrow street. Can't see it as a problem-who would leave the turn signals on if they didn't want them on?

Kesh
11-09-2014, 08:28 PM
I did the mistake of leaving the indicator stalk on the left position over night, came back and the charge was at 90% so I'm not too worried. But this is more the owners problem than the car's fault.

flight
12-09-2014, 05:19 PM
I hate that in an empty carpark some wanker wants to park right next to your shiny new car , this happened twice yesterday and I just wanted to go off at them.

You are so right with that one. They usually leave only a small gap between vehicles to make things as bad as possible. The mentality of these people makes me think if they had a brain cell it would be lonely.

I had a similar situation the other week when I went into a completely empty cinema. The next person arrived and sat immediately in front of me. Grrrr!

Idle
12-09-2014, 06:41 PM
I came back to my car in the local shopping centre t'other day and had to enter from the left and climb over the console.

At 90 that ain't easy.

lambertia
12-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Still no date on when tow bars will be available on the MkVII! (And having to take it back with a number of minor issues - such as radio reception etc).
Have a read of the tow bar thread.

lambertia
12-09-2014, 10:08 PM
My big gripe is that the auto closing of the windows and roof is cancelled if a door is opened after the car is off. Why they can't be allowed to finish closing I don't know.

TimOzSF
12-09-2014, 10:09 PM
I dislike the 30cm crack in my windscreen! :(

Heard a small "ping" on the way home (freeway in peak hour approx 50kmh). Couldn't see anything until I stopped at the servo to fill up. Found a small 2cm crack near the bottom driver's side of the windscreen, no obvious impact point. Drove 1km to get home and parked in the garage.

Double-checked the insurance policy to make sure I had a free windscreen included - yes, minor consolation. Got changed, told the sad news to my partner and took her to see the damage. The 2cm crack had stretched 5cm down to the bottom corner and up diagonally into my field of view! All while the car just sat there!!! Wonder how far it will go before it's repaired (tomorrow I hope).

lambertia
14-09-2014, 08:17 PM
I dislike the 30cm crack in my windscreen! :(

Heard a small "ping" on the way home (freeway in peak hour approx 50kmh). Couldn't see anything until I stopped at the servo to fill up. Found a small 2cm crack near the bottom driver's side of the windscreen, no obvious impact point. Drove 1km to get home and parked in the garage.

Double-checked the insurance policy to make sure I had a free windscreen included - yes, minor consolation. Got changed, told the sad news to my partner and took her to see the damage. The 2cm crack had stretched 5cm down to the bottom corner and up diagonally into my field of view! All while the car just sat there!!! Wonder how far it will go before it's repaired (tomorrow I hope).
Make sure you insist on a genuine replacement. I had my windscreen replaced and insisted on this. At that time I think this was the only option. They ended up putting on a windscreen for the TDI. Apparently they have higher noise suppression.

lambertia
14-09-2014, 08:30 PM

4. Cruise control is not intuitively designed and you really need to be looking down on it to engage it. Cruise control on the Mercedes for example, is a lever that you flick up once to
engage and press brake to disengage. Flicking up in small movements increases speed and a full flick increases by 10km/h and vice versa by flicking down. On the VW, I have to be looking at the controls to locate the +/- sign and the RES to increase speed incrementally and be careful that the setting is not on speed limiter and not cruise control.

2. Turn the key 90. Let go. Reset hand. Turn. It's not hard or uncomfortable.

4. It's not a Mercedes. Deprogram, learn the VW way and you'll be fine. If I can control the cruise without looking at the wheel so can you. I like that the Golf doesnt have 6 million stalks.

Jazrod
14-09-2014, 09:32 PM
The constant rattling from the passenger side on my GTI. My 103TSI had the same noise and my mate and I found the source - it was the light sensor behind the rearview mirror.

The GTI, though, is somewhere on the passenger side and we can not find it! Very frustrating over course roads. -_-

TimOzSF
14-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Make sure you insist on a genuine replacement. I had my windscreen replaced and insisted on this. At that time I think this was the only option. They ended up putting on a windscreen for the TDI. Apparently they have higher noise suppression.

It will be a genuine screen, although it took a long tedious route to get there. Spent most of yesterday on the phone sorting it out, after making claim with Shannons on Friday.

Default repairer didn't inspire confidence - they were supposed to call me within an hour of the claim - I finally called Saturday morning, only to be told OEM screen not an option and no chance to get it done until some time next week. Oh, and the only difference between their screen and OEM was the lack the VW markings.

Rang insurer to say I wanted OEM since car was still brand new, registered last week. I was advised I could organise to get OEM from VW, but would have to pay and then be reimbursed. I (fortunately) asked them to confirm that I would not be out of pocket and the reply was "Yes".

Then followed a series of mixed messages, misunderstandings, and confusion between insurer, default repairer, and VW recommended repairer (O'Briens), including being told that I would have to pay the difference for OEM. In the end Shannons sent O'Briens authorisation to use OEM!

Should get a call tomorrow morning to organise the repairer after O'Briens have sourced the screen from VW.

adhock
14-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Dislike: It's a VW. I may have to deal with VWA corporate.

Otherwise love the thing, so far, but I'm on edge waiting for a problem..

jdbrown1953
15-09-2014, 06:49 AM
It will be a genuine screen, although it took a long tedious route to get there. Spent most of yesterday on the phone sorting it out, after making claim with Shannons on Friday.

Default repairer didn't inspire confidence - they were supposed to call me within an hour of the claim - I finally called Saturday morning, only to be told OEM screen not an option and no chance to get it done until some time next week. Oh, and the only difference between their screen and OEM was the lack the VW markings.

Rang insurer to say I wanted OEM since car was still brand new, registered last week. I was advised I could organise to get OEM from VW, but would have to pay and then be reimbursed. I (fortunately) asked them to confirm that I would not be out of pocket and the reply was "Yes".

Then followed a series of mixed messages, misunderstandings, and confusion between insurer, default repairer, and VW recommended repairer (O'Briens), including being told that I would have to pay the difference for OEM. In the end Shannons sent O'Briens authorisation to use OEM!

Should get a call tomorrow morning to organise the repairer after O'Briens have sourced the screen from VW.

Had to have my windscreen replaced. My insurer (NRMA) authorised a genuine vw replacement. It was all done by OBriens I didn't have to purchase the screen and then seek reimbursement.

lambertia
15-09-2014, 09:20 AM
2. Turn the key 90. Let go. Reset hand. Turn. It's not hard or uncomfortable.

4. It's not a Mercedes. Deprogram, learn the VW way and you'll be fine. If I can control the cruise without looking at the wheel so can you. I like that the Golf doesnt have 6 million stalks.

Have re-read this and it sounds narky. That wasn't the intent :) Sorry!

LMF
20-09-2014, 12:07 AM
The only thing I don't like about the car (so far) is some noise from the front suspension, it happens at low speed (less than 10km/h) going over bumps or speed humps. Has anyone here got the same problem???

Mountainman
20-09-2014, 07:42 AM
The only thing I don't like about the car (so far) is some noise from the front suspension, it happens at low speed (less than 10km/h) going over bumps or speed humps. Has anyone here got the same problem???
Yeah, mine does the same and my mechanic says it's the coil moving slightly in the seat. Has done it since new but is a bit worse now after 50,000km. I haven't taken it to a VW workshop yet to see if it is a warranty issue (as it gets serviced by an independent) but will soon.

7R
20-09-2014, 09:38 AM
I've got the same suspension clunk - when I first drive out of the garage in the morning or go from a drive to reverse and the car first starts to move. Once or twice a day only so I am not fussed. Like everything car related I will wait till it gets worse and then get the dealer to look at it.

What I don't like is those dark overlays when the reversing camera is first activated... I cannot actually see where I am reversing and they won't auto hide until I start moving the car... anyone know how to make them go off immediately or not show by default?

Other dislikes - I notice just after sunrise (I am an early starter at work) that the auto headlights get confused and don't come on so the instrument cluster also doesn't come on. Generally like that until I get somewhere VERY dark like right into the car park at work and then the headlights come back on and so does the instrument cluster. Again - can I change the sensitivity to avoid that issue?

A couple of niggles that I believe are electrical gremlins - the power window auto up and down stopped working last week but came good after a restart of the car. Little things like that but not enough to get too worried about (yet...)

Still love the car.

Jimi
20-09-2014, 10:37 AM
My power window auto-down and up stopped working too. I worked out that i'd confused it by trying a few times to open a small gap of a couple of cms, which meant I was quickly pressing down and then up to stop it (the first few times the gap was too big so I kept trying and eventually it stopped auto-down).

There is a procedure in the manual to reset it, so if it happens again and the car restart doesn't work, give that a go.

LMF
20-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Did some research on the front suspension clunk and it could be due to the grease/lubricant has been washed off by water ... Some silicone spray should fix it. I may try CRC silicone spray and see how it goes.

tonymy01
20-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Some mk6 owners were getting a clunk that they though was coming from the front suspension, but turned out to be the front subframe didn't have good clearance to the under body and simply getting a spacer washer inserted was enough. You can usually tell if it is this by looking for a slight wear mark on that point.

jonoz
20-09-2014, 04:31 PM
- No sound attenuation for navigation
- Slow navigation, i.e. after you have passed a street tells you to turn and slow start-up
- Navigation voice
- Navigation in general, seems to be an afterthought

Will discuss with missus and report back.

NCGR1
21-09-2014, 06:12 AM
...A couple of niggles that I believe are electrical gremlins - the power window auto up and down stopped working last week but came good after a restart of the car. Little things like that but not enough to get too worried about (yet...)....

I wouldn't consider that a "gremlin". The system is designed to cancel the auto up/down if the system has sensed a pinch protection incident. The reset is a simple process and is described in the OM.

It is funny to me that even this electrical/electronic "gremlin" myth, prevalent in the USA, is even in Aust.

BFPO40
21-09-2014, 06:49 AM
What I don't like is those dark overlays when the reversing camera is first activated... I cannot actually see where I am reversing and they won't auto hide until I start moving the car... anyone know how to make them go off immediately or not show by default?

Firmly agree with this ^^^^

Other dislikes - I notice just after sunrise (I am an early starter at work) that the auto headlights get confused and don't come on so the instrument cluster also doesn't come on. Generally like that until I get somewhere VERY dark like right into the car park at work and then the headlights come back on and so does the instrument cluster. Again - can I change the sensitivity to avoid that issue?

There is a setting for this, I can only guide you from memory, under the car menu - settings, looking for lighting and there is a setting for the auto lights sensitivity.
I've have not experienced any issues with the MK7 auto lights getting it wrong, they had been pretty good over the three MK7s I had used.

Kesh
21-09-2014, 08:50 AM
The rear doors squeal when being opened when the front doors are closed. Kinda annoying haha

lambertia
22-09-2014, 10:26 PM
- Slow navigation, i.e. after you have passed a street tells you to turn and slow start-up
- Navigation voice

If by sound attenuation you mean volume, the volume of the announcement can be adjusted in the menus. You can also adjust it with the wheel and dash volume controls whilst it is announcing. This will be remembered and is independent of the media volume.

Herbie_059
11-10-2014, 09:03 PM
- Navigation voice

I am presuming by sound attenuation you mean if you are are playing music on your media player with sat nav guidance on, I am finding that when the voice command comes on, it doesn't decrease the volume of the music so you can actually hear the command clearly.

I also dislike the Bluemotion stop start technology especially on the R.

jonoz
11-10-2014, 11:25 PM
I am presuming by sound attenuation you mean if you are are playing music on your media player with sat nav guidance on, I am finding that when the voice command comes on, it doesn't decrease the volume of the music so you can actually hear the command clearly.

I also dislike the Bluemotion stop start technology especially on the R.
Precisely, rather than the media and navigation commands having a screaming match the music volume should reduce so the navigation command will play at the currently desired volume followed by media volume resuming normal volume. Essentially how the park assist functions.

The stop start is an interesting one as I read that unless the engine will remain stopped for more than 8 seconds the restating of the engine uses more fuel than if you sat idle.

Euro Car Upgrades
15-10-2014, 06:43 PM
VW might not have it but we Euro Car Upgrades (http://jku.com.au/westfalia.html) do
ADR approved, genuine option if you bought the car from Germany
VW Golf 7 genuine tow bar (http://jku.com.au/westfalia-towbar-for-vw-golf-7-vii-detachable-tow-bar-a40v-0688-800-000s.html)

Westfalia towbars $ accessories Euro Car Upgrades (http://jku.com.au/westfalia.html)

4 mth wait from order to delivery. The ship I think mine is on is in Baltimore today.

Oh, and VW still don't have an oem towbar available, or a date when it will be available.

Arnold
18-10-2014, 02:56 PM
The boot is shorter and less accommodating than that of any previous Golf since the Mark III.

SonicAaron
20-10-2014, 03:50 AM

Do you mean the parking sensor screen that takes up the entire left hand side of the screen? I wish the parking sensor diagram was smaller so you could see most of the camera.

siu_loong_bao
21-11-2014, 12:54 PM
try a blown turbo....

7R just died today on side of freeway (http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?23953-7R-just-died-today-on-side-of-freeway)

pepito
26-11-2014, 10:05 PM
... these software glitches (I hope that's all they are) are starting to bug me a little.

In only three weeks, 600kms of ownership I've had the infamous "Error start-stop system" malfunction about five times.

But today I've twice had the car not auto-start at the lights (on pressing clutch in ready to take off) and have the Catalytic Converter and EPC lights come on.

The car will eventually start after turning key all the way to the left, waiting a few seconds and then trying ignition again.

Now whenever I go to start the car at the start of any trip it takes at least two goes before the ignition kicks the engine over.

Lastly, the EPC light is now permanently on. I haven't worked out how to clear that.

AdamD
27-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Now whenever I go to start the car at the start of any trip it takes at least two goes before the ignition kicks the engine over.

Lastly, the EPC light is now permanently on. I haven't worked out how to clear that.

That sounds like a fairly major issue; I'd get the car to a dealer. There's no way the EPC should be on, especially permanently. Chances are there are faulty parts that should be replaced under warranty - the sooner the better.

kk_mqb_mk7
04-12-2014, 07:28 PM
For me, it is definitely the turbo lag and quirkiness of the DSG in start/stop traffic. I have learnt the need to put in a lot more effort in modulating the accelerator/brake pedal to get it to be as smooth as an NA with torque convertor/CVT. Otherwise, I am completely sold on all other driving aspects.

pepito
04-12-2014, 07:49 PM
That sounds like a fairly major issue; I'd get the car to a dealer. There's no way the EPC should be on, especially permanently. Chances are there are faulty parts that should be replaced under warranty - the sooner the better.

Took the car in this week but they couldn't see any errors logged after they "scanned" the car. So the stop/start error will remain a mystery for now.

They did load the electronic handbrake update so hopefully that banishes the e-brake/auto-hold error.

pepito
24-03-2015, 08:59 PM
So after nearly 4 months and over 4000km trouble free after the electronic handbrake software update was installed by the dealer in December last year, I got the dreaded ""fault: electric parking brake" today.

It cleared itself quickly so didn't have time to take a pic of the error on the phone.

agentthumb
27-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Not sure about this, but the sun visor is too short!

I'm 170cm, and have the seat positioned as such that when I have my shoulders against the seat back, the steering wheel is just under my wrist. My head is just in front of the B pillar.

When the sun is coming in from the 3 o'clock position, the sun visor (flipped out to cover the driver side window) provides no shade at all! I'd have to lean forward to get some coverage. It baffles me why the visor doesn't slide out on the joint (towards the driver) like many other cars.

aj555
30-03-2015, 04:23 PM
The noisy door seals whenever I travel across anything put smooth road, along with the creaking plastic trim surrounding the instrument binnacle. Off to the dealer yet again for the intermittent Geiger counter noise that comes and goes and the cold start rattle at idle.

LMF
04-04-2015, 08:44 PM
The only thing ignore me is the noise from subframe. Have the subframe bolts tighten by VW the noise disappear for about two months then the noise come back. Take the car back to the dealer and this time they told me the front shocks need to be changed (i still think it is the subframe bolts), will have the car back to the dealer next Friday and see how it goes

soogs
18-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Had my 103 for 3 months now and it's a brilliant car. Also bought a 90 for my daughter and can say that not much difference in oomph and driveability around town.

However things I don't like

1. Brake dust! In this day an age, surely this problem can be fixed by better composite materials? I have and other cars with little dust problems inc another German make.

2. No illumination for ignition slot. I mean they have lights everywhere on the doors in the foot well (WTF?) but none where u might need it.

3. Internal handle for hatch should be on the bottom of the door instead of inside to facilitate closing especially for the weaker sex.

4. Increase and reduce button function for cruise control should be tap to inc/red by 1kmh and tap and hold for 10kmh not other way around.

5. Gloss plastic B frame covers on doors are easily scratchable. Have to be very careful when washing.

6. The tiny triangle A window must be impossible to clean unless you have a tiny hand.

7. The 380 litre boot must have been measured by a pygmy. It doesn't take much to fill it up.

Things I would prefer VW would re-design.

1. The set and resume button for CC to be swapped. It would make more sense, turn it on and move to the left to set instead of diagonally across.

2. Gear and outside temp icon in centre binnacle to be swapped making more grouping sense. ie temp is grouped together with clock, and gear icon would then sit under digital speedo.

3. To be able to reset fuel consumption from start feature, anytime you want.

Eaglehawk
18-05-2015, 05:48 PM
7. The 380 litre boot must have been measured by a pygmy. It doesn't take much to fill it up.

You've got the boot floor on the lower setting right?

Everything else I agree with, but I don't really care about the CC being the wrong way around. Still better than what it use to be.

Ralfi
18-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Just one thing - I want CarPlay. Discovery Media GPS has its good points, but is sluggish compared to Google Maps, & predicted travel times are always longer than Googles.

Music player controls off the smartphone are better too. I want those on the in dash screen.

Waiting to hear from VW re: if CarPlay is a software or hardware upgrade for MY15 GTI's.

The Bone Ranger
18-05-2015, 07:18 PM
4. Increase and reduce button function for cruise control should be tap to inc/red by 1kmh and tap and hold for 10kmh not other way around.

When cruise is engaged, you can use the "res" button to increase the speed by 1km/h increments, and "set" for the opposite. Or perhaps it's the other way around, but that is the best way to get 1km/h increments...

Andrew

soogs
19-05-2015, 10:24 AM
When cruise is engaged, you can use the "res" button to increase the speed by 1km/h increments, and "set" for the opposite. Or perhaps it's the other way around, but that is the best way to get 1km/h increments...

Andrew

Thanx didn't know that. Should have thot abt it, as other cars use those buttons. Will give it a try.

Arnold
22-05-2015, 11:43 AM
The shorter, less accommodating boot.

In a first for VW, the Golf7 boot is shorter and less accommodating than the previous 3 Marks. Yes, the Mark IV as well, I have read on this forum (a golf buggy that fitted in the Mark IV would not fit in a Golf7, or not as easily anyway).

I tested the Golf7 boot with two large suitcases that sit flat and snugly side-by-side in our Mark V. While I have to release the rear seats to get them in and then close them on the suitcases, not even this technique allows the Golf7 boot to go close to accommodating the suitcases, simply because the distance between the boot lip and the back of the rear seats is shorter and so the boot is now too short.

Given the squeeze packing everything into the Mark V is for vacations, it is worrying to think that packing the car would be an even more challenging exercise with the newer, more costly Golf7.

It is that change in boot size alone that changes the decision to upgrade to a Golf7 from a "no-brainer" to having me consider "what else is out there"?.

And before anyone says the Golf is not targeted at families, it is used by a lot of families in Europe and many parts of Australia where sensible people know that 95% of the time you don't need the interior space of an SUV plus extra space can be added, on demand, with a roof pod.

Apologists for the Golf7 chief designer's decison to sign off on a retrograde boot design should remember the car has increased in every other dimension and it is not unreasonable to expect a larger, later generation Golf to be able to hold luggage that could fit in an earlier, smaller predecessor, as has been the case until the Golf 7.

Bear in mind that the functionality of a boot is related to its size and storage capacity. Reducing the size should never have been an acceptable design outcome. Analogous would be decreasing fuel efficiency, reducing handling, reducing acceleration of performacne variants, increasing weight disproportionately, reducing seat comfort or safety, etc etc.

The point is, I very much would like a Golf 7 hatch - not a wagon or any other markedly longer car - and this unnecessary and retrograde design outcome, from a company that has a reputation for building cars with disproportionately large boots (think Jetta), is extremely disappointing. Quite bewildering.

With any luck the Golf 8 will mark a return to form in this regard and with only 66000 on my manual's clock, I can wait if need be.

soogs
22-05-2015, 03:20 PM
I agree, it looks small, smaller practically than other hatches I have owned over time, Laser 80s, Astra 00s. However the blurb says it has increased from 340 to 380L. Go figure. Having said that, a fantastic car, only if they would have redesign a few things.

Eaglehawk
22-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Just wondering, you did test it with the floor of the boot in the lowest setting right?

Mountainman
24-05-2015, 08:55 PM
We always use ours with the floor lowered and I reckon its got slightly more room like that than our friend's Mk5 when looking into them parked side by side.

I guess the practical use of putting the same luggage in each might tell a different story though. The Mk7 does claim 380L while the Mk5 claim is 349L though.

Anyway go and see what you can fit in the hatch of the current model Suzuki Swift and you'll feel much better......

Mountainman
24-05-2015, 09:30 PM
3. To be able to reset fuel consumption from start feature, anytime you want.
You can - easy.

Go to touch screen. When set on car or driving display press Set-up in bottom right hand corner - scroll to Multifunction display and press, then scroll to Reset "Since Start" driving data and press. Can be done any time and the same for "Long term" too. Then just use your back arrow at the top to get back to the car screen.

staticmk4
24-05-2015, 11:20 PM
The thing I don't like about my mk7 is that I don't have one

soogs
25-05-2015, 09:41 AM
You can - easy.

Go to touch screen. When set on car or driving display press Set-up in bottom right hand corner - scroll to Multifunction display and press, then scroll to Reset "Since Start" driving data and press. Can be done any time and the same for "Long term" too. Then just use your back arrow at the top to get back to the car screen.

Thanks, good to know, seems complicated but will give it a go. I'm sure your average driver won't be aware of this.

In reply to Eaglehawk, I have even done better. To avoid the upward slope when using the lower setting, I have reclaimed that wasted space by removing the floor completely and replaced it with a flat piece of masonite and covered it with a non-slip mat and some carpet underlay for noise reduction.

veew
25-05-2015, 02:58 PM
To avoid the upward slope when using the lower setting, I have reclaimed that wasted space by removing the floor completely and replaced it with a flat piece of masonite and covered it with a non-slip mat and some carpet underlay for noise reduction.

Mind posting up a photo? Wouldn't mind seeing what that looks like.

LMF
26-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Has anyone got any clunking noise from front suspension? Am I the only one as the VW technicians still can fix it after they try to fix it a few times in the last couple of months, happens when going through a speed bump at low speed ... car has been to the dealer a few times, have the front shocks replaced, sub frame bolts replaced but the noise still there. Have the car booked in this Friday and they will change the rear shocks and look into the front noise again.

Eaglehawk
26-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Mind posting up a photo? Wouldn't mind seeing what that looks like.

Ditto. Wondering if it will then fit the Golf boot liner/plastic thingy I paid too much for.

Arnold
27-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Just wondering, you did test it with the floor of the boot in the lowest setting right?

Right; both configurations.

The suitcases that fit in my Mark V boot when laid flat and lengthways will not fit in the Golf7 boot whether the false floor is in place or removed.

This points to markedly less distance between the boot lip and the back of the rear seats in the Golf7 compared with that in the Mark V Golf.

It is to be hoped that this dimension in the Golf8 will be at least as great as it is in the boot of the Mark IV which eclipses that for the Golf7.

bru20vt
28-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Has anyone got any clunking noise from front suspension? Am I the only one as the VW technicians still can fix it after they try to fix it a few times in the last couple of months, happens when going through a speed bump at low speed ... car has been to the dealer a few times, have the front shocks replaced, sub frame bolts replaced but the noise still there. Have the car booked in this Friday and they will change the rear shocks and look into the front noise again.

I also have noisy suspension - I have been complaining for about 6 months without getting anywhere. I am running 16" wheels so would hate to think the noise 17" or 18" would make.

We have speed bumps in our work car park and at low speed sometimes, not always, the clunking noise sounds like the front end is going to collapse. I can also hear the front end noise when turning right at a large roundabout. There is one near home where the approach is downhill. It feels like when the weight transfers to the right front the shock compresses but gets stuck before rebounding. This is the feeling I get.

As far as the rears go, I don't think VW have a fix yet. I had my rears replaced two weeks ago and the noise is still there. It only occurs over small bumps and has a distinct bobble noise. The last page of this thread pretty much summarises the issue.

Rear suspension noise - are you affected? - Page 22 - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2568&page=22)

soogs
28-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Ditto. Wondering if it will then fit the Golf boot liner/plastic thingy I paid too much for.

Let me see if this works for photos, just by using attachment feature. Not that IT savvy.

I tell a lie the white bit showing under the mat is one of those real estate corrugated plastic advertising boards, didn't rush out to buy a masonite sheet as I had the plastic board lying around. Seems to support average luggage without any problems.

LMF
28-05-2015, 06:32 PM
I also have noisy suspension - I have been complaining for about 6 months without getting anywhere. I am running 16" wheels so would hate to think the noise 17" or 18" would make.

We have speed bumps in our work car park and at low speed sometimes, not always, the clunking noise sounds like the front end is going to collapse. I can also hear the front end noise when turning right at a large roundabout. There is one near home where the approach is downhill. It feels like when the weight transfers to the right front the shock compresses but gets stuck before rebounding. This is the feeling I get.

As far as the rears go, I don't think VW have a fix yet. I had my rears replaced two weeks ago and the noise is still there. It only occurs over small bumps and has a distinct bobble noise. The last page of this thread pretty much summarises the issue.

Rear suspension noise - are you affected? - Page 22 - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2568&page=22)

It is pretty frustrating ... they did fix the problem last October by tightening the sub frame bolts but 2 months later it happens again and since then I bring the car back for 3 times and they still can't fix it. They did change the bolts and the front shocks but the noise still there ... my mum's 20 years old Hyundai never does it. I am dropping off my car to the dealer tomorrow and they said they will have my car for a few days and ensure there are no more noises before returning the car to me. I really don't know what to do if it still happen ... :facepalm:

peekay34
29-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Navigation Radio the most hate it with a vengeance.... and that most of the options that are available overseas are not here

rpps
02-06-2015, 08:10 AM
It is pretty frustrating ... they did fix the problem last October by tightening the sub frame bolts but 2 months later it happens again and since then I bring the car back for 3 times and they still can't fix it. They did change the bolts and the front shocks but the noise still there ... my mum's 20 years old Hyundai never does it. I am dropping off my car to the dealer tomorrow and they said they will have my car for a few days and ensure there are no more noises before returning the car to me. I really don't know what to do if it still happen ... :facepalm:
Don't hold your breath, I had noisy rear suspension and the dealer replaced the rear shock absorbers but the problem came back a few weeks on. I have since sold my Golf and bought a new Jetta and it's much quieter in the suspension but still noisy. A friend has a new Corolla hatch and the thing I really noticed about this car was how quiet is was in the suspension especially over rough bitumen roads, no clunks coming at all from the suspension. I suppose VW owners in the USA and Germany don't notice this problem because the roads are better and smoother.

Dutch77
02-06-2015, 07:36 PM
<commence speech>

I wave goodbye to my Mk7 some time this week.

While I do enjoy the big boot which not surprisingly fits more than my Mk6 given it is the largest boot in Golf history there are a few bugbears I had, pretty much all of which are well documented by me and just about everyone else at some time or another.

Firstly that head unit. What an embarrassing joke. Small screen, crap resolution and the most useless satellite navigation system ever put in a car. What a massive step backwards from the old RNS units in the Mk6. I'd never spend the ridiculous coin on an upgrade after market but geez I totally understand why some feel like they have no choice. I'd expect to find a better unit in a $12k Chinese special.

Secondly the headlights. Again I'd never have spent the coin on ticking the red stripe option while my driving was city based, but after seeing how dangerous they are on an unlit country road/freeway I can again understand why some would tick that box on the early models or be forced into the PP currently (best marketing job ever by VWA courtesy of Wolfsburg HQ).

My third problem is purely personal opinion and has absolutely no rhyme or reason to it.. except that I know it's an opinion shared by at least one of my ex Mk6 colleagues. And that is I will miss my Mk6 more than I ever will my Mk7. There is no doubt the Mk7 is a superior car in most aspects and maybe part of it relates to the more extensive personalisation I did to my Mk6, but I used to love every drive in the Mk6.. I'm not real fussed over the Mk7 and won't miss it the same way.

I don't think I'd even buy it today if confronted with the same circumstances - I'd go the Octavia wagon over the GTI for the space and spec. It might lose a touch in some areas, but more than makes up for it in others. And as for Skoda's horrible resale - I can't say I'm smiling over VW's lack of strength on the three vehicles we have owned now.

I did briefly consider waiting for the R wagon, but when I broke it down I crossed it off for the same reason I did the R.

This is absolutely not a knock on what is overall a brilliant package and a segment leader. I would happily talk up the Mk7 to anyone. I'm not looking to argue the above with anyone, they're just a few comments stuck in my head as the car goes this week and just a personal call on my needs. Not someone else's. As I usually say: each to their own. This is more about me saying goodbye to the Golf for the immediate future, but not farewell.

And for those that think the Golf looks better with after market wheels (and let's face it, that's not hard if you've got stuck with Santiagos) the wheel thread is not going anywhere. :)

<end speech>

AdamD
03-06-2015, 08:58 AM
And for those that think the Golf looks better with after market wheels (and let's face it, that's not hard if you've got stuck with Santiagos) the wheel thread is not going anywhere. :)

Amen to that! :)

(And to everything else you said actually; as someone who never owned a Mk7 but who has driven many and spent a fair bit of time with them, I've never connected with them the way I did with my Mk6, despite being demonstrably the better car.)

Jimi
03-06-2015, 11:40 AM
I agree with all of that Dutch, particularly the head unit (like you I could never justify $3k to retrofit the big screen). My other gripe remains the bundling of options which still doesn't allow a 'purists combination' of manual transmission and Performance Package.

The_Hawk
03-06-2015, 04:55 PM
I agree with all of that Dutch, particularly the head unit (like you I could never justify $3k to retrofit the big screen). My other gripe remains the bundling of options which still doesn't allow a 'purists combination' of manual transmission and Performance Package.

It really annoys me that an Aussie delivered vehicle running down the same production line misses out on so many options or combinations that are available elsewhere in the world. I can understand from a spare parts and service point of view if VW Australia choose not to import a particular model (like the Sharan) because they don't see a market for it and don't want to keep all the spare parts on hand...

..but things like a manual transmission that is a standard part across the range isn't allowed, or things like the GTI and R Spec engines available in the Golf Cabriolet overseas are simply not available (they have even dropped manual as an option on that now too) it does my head in a little. Why when I'm laying down your hard earned cash on a new vehicle and are willing to wait for it to be built and delivered, why can't I pick anything on the list? I'm about 99% confident that even if they added a "Custom Build" premium of 2-3% to anything outside the norm there would be plenty of customers more than willing to pay a little bit extra to get what they want. (And lets face it, it's money for jam for VW).

Dutch77
03-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Amen to that! :)

(And to everything else you said actually; as someone who never owned a Mk7 but who has driven many and spent a fair bit of time with them, I've never connected with them the way I did with my Mk6, despite being demonstrably the better car.)

I know we discussed the point a few times, and it really hit home.

As its turned out my last drive in the car was over two months ago now and the Speaker handed it over this afternoon (part of the deal I did, long story) and I'm not having any kind of reaction like I did when I did my final run in the Mk6 - lol, I actually was about to pull into the dealer that time and at the last second kept going and did one last 'final lap'!

Cheers Jimi, glad it was taken in the spirit as intended and not as one taking a dig now that I've moved on.

The decisions HQ takes here shows how out of touch they are with their customer base and what the market wants.. but hey we knew that when they ran their fake five year DSG warranty and then took it away by just removing the page on their website. This at a time when a fair chunk of ROTW gets 5-10 years and even Skoda give out 5.

Imagine a three door PP manual with no other options.. even drop the Santiagos back to 18s and so on.

Ditto the three door R. They dropped it to bring us the Scirroco which kind of made sense although they pissed off a whole group of buyers (although made the group who did get their hands on three doors quite happy) but why can't it be there now?

As Aaron rightly points out, this involved very little to no work on VWA's behalf and heck, charge a premium, make it special order, whatever.. just show you give a toss about your customers.

Sort of ironic that one of their biggest driving forces and 'free' marketers - us, the enthusiasts - are the ones they stomp on at every opportunity.

It really annoys me that an Aussie delivered vehicle running down the same production line misses out on so many options or combinations that are available elsewhere in the world. I can understand from a spare parts and service point of view if VW Australia choose not to import a particular model (like the Sharan) because they don't see a market for it and don't want to keep all the spare parts on hand

Amen to that brother.

I look to the day that maybe VWW can parallel import the VWs we all want to drive.. ;)

Arnold
04-06-2015, 09:54 AM
...While I do enjoy the big boot which not surprisingly fits more than my Mk6 given it is the largest boot in Golf history ...

That reads like quite a pointed comment about a car boot! I've heard of people finding boots practical and useful, but never a source of enjoyment.

Nonetheless I am glad if the Golf7 boot has been a source of enjoyment , Dutch77. Much more enjoyable than the high-capacity windscreen washer reservoir I imagine but, let's face it, not a patch on the centre armrest. Imagine the enjoyment if you could subtract the loading and unloading part from the boot experience, and don't even think about an auto closer (which will be added to the Golf8 with any luck).

That said, your boot enjoyment would be even greater if the Golf7 boot were not shorter than that in the Mark IV, V or VI.

As many have written in various online fora, including this one, items that would fit in the boot of their Mark IV, V or VI simply cannot be accommodated, or cannot be accommodated as easily, by the Golf7 boot due to its relative shortness fore& aft which is exacerbated by the height of the false floor and angle of the rear seats. This has been a source of frustration and inconvenience, rather than enjoyment and, in my case, would require an investment in new luggage or hanging on to my Mark V longer than I otherwise might.

However, as you are now giving your Golf7 the "boot", all that is of no moment to you and I trust you will derive as much enjoyment from the boot of your new car. Of course, someone with as much baggage as you should find that an A3 boot would be more enjoyable than the boot in the S3.

But giving VW props for its Golf7 boot design because its capacity is the greatest in Golf history when it is shorter in one critical dimension and, for many, less practical, is a bit like commending VW for a less efficient engine with lower specific power output simply because it has a higher capacity.

The utility of a boot does not necessarily correlate directly with its capacity and given the greater overall length of the Golf7 the reduction in boot depth fore & aft is even more lamentable.

I am sure your enjoyment of your S3 will not be affected by its boot capacity.

Dutch77
04-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Lol.. I am amused.

I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea whether it is more useful or not for me, given how 'squat' a Mk7 looks I assume the extra volume has come from width. I know Junior's ridiculous pram that cost more than my first car just fit in it - sounds like I would have been cruising if I'd retained the Mk6.

Just a friendly dig given I think you've mentioned the boot more often than I have the fugly Santiagos on this forum.

As for the A3 boot - the sedan doesn't have height but it does have decent length, you may even derive enjoyment from it.
I do know the Sportback manages to have 10% less room than the Mk7 despite the car being longer.. it looks visually small and I'm not sure what Audi were thinking with that.

zardoz
05-06-2015, 12:43 AM
After having my car for a good nine or so months, I'm starting to feel its shortfalls.

It's a good car. Love it. But there are a few annoyances:

1. The Discover Nav. If the dealer had the option sheet to tick the pro, I would have done so - but obviously our Australian dollars are no good in Germany. At least there are aftermarket solutions now.
2. There's no interior lighting around the ignition (I've found it hard to figure out where the key goes when it's dark). The bigger problem is that there's no light in the centre phone compartment under the centre console. If it's dark, even the interior lights (the LEDs, which are very narrow beams!) won't light it up, so if I want to plug a USB cable in, I have to resort to a torch or similar.
3. The 7 speed DSG. I've got a shudder issue. I've just had a software update done and it's still a bit rough; it was smooth as silk the day I got it - and I know this because my old 118TSI had the same problem and it was night and day.
4. I have Xenons, but the stock headlights on the Golf 7 loaner I had during my service were terrible! Wow. Glad I sprung for the extra lights but I shouldn't have to do that.
5. RATTLE IN THE DOORS. Taken it back to the dealer, they said they lubricated stuff but it didn't go away. Wasn't there the day I got the car and very noticeable with music going.
6. The reversing camera image gets obstructed for the first five or so seconds with a black background around the reverse sensor diagram. THIS IS A REALLY POOR DESIGN so I have to sit there for a few seconds before I can see the left hand side of my street, rendering the tool relatively useless.
7. Footwell lighting can't run at full brightness when driving. The mark 6 had much brighter lights in the footwells that were useful for passengers - the mark 7's are too dull to actually be of any practical use and only serve as decorative lighting.
8. I would really like the ability to, with one button, return to the digital speedometer on the MFD. If I get a call and answer it, it takes me away from that display and I have to fiddle with menu flipping to go back. Or even an idle timeout where it returns to a nominated page.
9. There was no golf R version of the wagon when I purchased mine. Glad they've resolved that issue now ;-)

Otherwise, it's been a decent car!

REGS12
05-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Headlights on GTI are absolute crap. Came home along Great Ocean Road last night and driving was most unpleasant.
I've been grizzling about Golf headlights on mk5, mk6 and now mk7.. No-one at VW seems to care, even though plenty of owners agree. How do we convince Europeans that we actually drive on dark, windy roads that we have huge mountain walls, steep cliffs to drive off and big animals jumping out at us? Headlights---headlights ----headlights. Everything else is brilliant.

Dutch77
05-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Headlights on GTI are absolute crap. Came home along Great Ocean Road last night and driving was most unpleasant.
I've been grizzling about Golf headlights on mk5, mk6 and now mk7.. No-one at VW seems to care, even though plenty of owners agree. How do we convince Europeans that we actually drive on dark, windy roads that we have huge mountain walls, steep cliffs to drive off and big animals jumping out at us? Headlights---headlights ----headlights. Everything else is brilliant.

It's amazing just how crap they are given the number of other cars on the road with basic halogens that kick their ass.. they are easily the worst lights I ever had - 1982 Sigma included.

My advice for any buyers is easy:

1) If you are city based with little to no country driving, suck it up, you'll live unless you need to look cool, then spend your $2k.

2) If you are country based or expect to do at least some country or unlit road driving and value your life, FIND A CAR WITH BI-XENONS. It's not a luxury.

veew
19-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Let me see if this works for photos, just by using attachment feature. Not that IT savvy.

I tell a lie the white bit showing under the mat is one of those real estate corrugated plastic advertising boards, didn't rush out to buy a masonite sheet as I had the plastic board lying around. Seems to support average luggage without any problems.

Thanks mate, appreciate the photo!