PDA

View Full Version : Mirror down on reverse

Arnold
10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Anyone know why, hitherto, VW has not been able to offer a manual Golf that automatically tilts downwards the near-side rear view mirror when reverse is engaged and whether this shortcoming has been addressed in any of the Mk 7 Golfs?

Hillbilly
10-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Have got it in my Passat and frankly its a pain Doesnt turn down far enough to see where the rear wheel is so I dont use it.

Dont want to scrub my mags.

team_v
10-07-2013, 06:56 PM
From memory it was only available on certain models in the VW range when the optional leather seats with memory function was optioned.

Probably omitted largely due to the fact that people want a new car but don't expect to have to pay any more than the previous model.
Also, forces people to get the auto park option.

Hillbilly
10-07-2013, 07:19 PM
From memory it was only available on certain models in the VW range when the optional leather seats with memory function was optioned.

Probably omitted largely due to the fact that people want a new car but don't expect to have to pay any more than the previous model.
Also, forces people to get the auto park option.

Yeah mines got all that and the standard ones dont have it

sVWatt
10-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Am I right in thinking that even if I get the auto-dip coding done, the mirror actually requires a different motor mechanism ?

Eaglehawk
10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I tested this tonight. You obviously need to enable it in the menu...and also leave the knob on "L". But it doesn't seem to dip down as much as I'd like. If someone could confirm this, would be appreciated. Only applies to the passenger side mirror, not both.

Oh, it's a stock 110TDI Highline.

Hillbilly
10-07-2013, 08:04 PM
I tested this tonight. You obviously need to enable it in the menu...and also leave the knob on "L". But it doesn't seem to dip down as much as I'd like. If someone could confirm this, would be appreciated. Only applies to the passenger side mirror, not both.

Oh, it's a stock 110TDI Highline.

It works regardless of where the mirror button is on mine As I said in reply 2 it doesnt go down far enough to be worthwhile

It is set by a sequence listed on page 86 (I think) in my Passat manual.

Then when you put it into reverse it alters position. I no longer have mine coded for it. It can also be done manually using the L control

IE if you are in a park with a kerb on that side and want to reverse back out it wont dip far enough to see the kerb closer than back behind the car. Therefore you cant see if you are going to scrape a wheel. Even turning it in a bit when it was lowered didnt seem to help
If I could see the kerb beside the rear wheel it would be useful It doesnt and its not.

Eaglehawk
10-07-2013, 08:30 PM
It works regardless of where the mirror button is on mine As I said in reply 2 it doesnt go down far enough to be worthwhile

It is set by a sequence listed on page 86 (I think) in my Passat manual.

This is the Golf Mk7 forum, hence I was giving an account of what happens in a Golf Mk7. Like your Passat, my Passat does exactly what you said, but it doesn't help answer the question of the OP.

I had to find another forum post about having the switch in the L position. I just wanted to confirm that someone else with a Golf Highline can also get it working, and that it's (just like our Passats) it's not good enough to protect the alloys.

All this becomes moot once you've ordered the memory seat option, where you can set the position properly. (According to the manual)

Edit: I've just found instructions on page 124 of the manual to adjust the mirrors, going to play with it now :)

Edit2: Yep, you can store it. Turn on ignition, select neurtal, make sure it's enabled in the CAR setup under Mirrors. Select Reverse, make sure the knob is at the L position. Adjust.

I'll test it properly tomorrow.

Hillbilly
10-07-2013, 09:00 PM
This is the Golf Mk7 forum, hence I was giving an account of what happens in a Golf Mk7. Like your Passat, my Passat does exactly what you said, but it doesn't help answer the question of the OP.

I had to find another forum post about having the switch in the L position. I just wanted to confirm that someone else with a Golf Highline can also get it working, and that it's (just like our Passats) it's not good enough to protect the alloys.

All this becomes moot once you've ordered the memory seat option, where you can set the position properly. (According to the manual)

Edit: I've just found instructions on page 124 of the manual to adjust the mirrors, going to play with it now :)

Edit2: Yep, you can store it. Turn on ignition, select neurtal, make sure it's enabled in the CAR setup under Mirrors. Select Reverse, make sure the knob is at the L position. Adjust.

I'll test it properly tomorrow.

I realise that but as it isnt real good in the Passat and a Golf is shorter, presumably unless they increase the downward angle to allow for that it will be less effective.

Eaglehawk
10-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I realise that but as it isnt real good in the Passat and a Golf is shorter, presumably unless they increase the downward angle to allow for that it will be less effective.

I can't test how "downward" it got until daylight tomorrow. But for reference sake, I managed to get the front passenger door handle into the "top" of the mirror image.

Hillbilly
11-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I can't test how "downward" it got until daylight tomorrow. But for reference sake, I managed to get the front passenger door handle into the "top" of the mirror image.

Just had a play with mine and I can drop it enough to the see rear wheel (just the edge of the tyre) however it would be better if it turned in a bit more.
The disadvantage is that if its turned down and you are backing into a narrow doorway using your mirrors you cant see the door frame.

I find it easier to just leave it up and stay well away from curbs.

I rarely park on the street where I have to reverse in anyway.

Eaglehawk
11-07-2013, 01:47 PM
The disadvantage is that if its turned down and you are backing into a narrow doorway using your mirrors you cant see the door frame.

Confirmed you can see the edge of the tyre too. If I need it to be normal, just switch from "L" to "0" and it doesn't budge then. Win!

exzibit
11-07-2013, 05:37 PM
You guys have some serious parking issues if you can't park this tiny car without scratching the rims.. :)

Hillbilly
11-07-2013, 05:51 PM
You guys have some serious parking issues if you can't park this tiny car without scratching the rims.. :)

I dont have any trouble but Im not the only one who drives it

Eaglehawk
11-07-2013, 10:07 PM

I'm Asian :)

tonymy01
12-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Hahaha ;-)

soogs
17-07-2013, 10:14 AM
More reason you should be an excellent reverser. In KL everyone does reverse 90 degree parking!!

Eaglehawk
17-07-2013, 03:00 PM
More reason you should be an excellent reverser. In KL everyone does reverse 90 degree parking!!

I do. I am. Just not for the wonderful curved road parking here in Canberra.

Tronz
23-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Hello,

I have bought 103 highline and the mirror moves a little bit to the left but does not tilt any idea ??

tonymy01
23-11-2013, 03:06 PM
You have to set it to the position you want.

Hillbilly
23-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Hello,

I have bought 103 highline and the mirror moves a little bit to the left but does not tilt any idea ?? Read the manual on how to adjust it to where you want

Tronz
23-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Anyone got a soft copy of the manual or kind enough to tell me what to do ?.. I bought a demo and the dealer had lost the manual.. He has requested one and I am waiting for it to come.

Idle
23-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Place the control switch to the left adjust position — when you select reverse the left mirror will tilt down (at least, mine does.)

Tronz
23-11-2013, 06:11 PM
I have done that it simply moves little bit to the left and that's it. It actually done not move back to where it was before.

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Tapatalk

tonymy01
23-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Put the control switch to the left is only the first step. When it is in reverse, manually adjust the mirror to the gutter check position. Then when you take out out of reverse, it goes back to the position it was in before you went to reverse.

Idle
23-11-2013, 07:16 PM
I have done that it simply moves little bit to the left and that's it. It actually done not move back to where it was before.

Mine must have been set up before I got it — here's the dope from the manual.

Unlock the vehicle using a valid key.
Switch on the electric parking brake.
Switch on the ignition.
Select neutral.
Activate the reverse gear exteroior mirror lowering function using the CAR button and the (button with icon that looks like a snail) and (Mirrors and Wipers) function in the infotainment system.
Select reverse.
Adjust the passenger side mirror to give you a good view of the kerb area,
The settings for the mirror position will be saved automatically and assigned to the key that is used to unlock the vehicle.

Selecting the settings for the mirror:

Turn the rotary knob to the position "R".

EDIT: Used mine today — it turns down with the knob turned to "L", not "R".

With ignition on, select reverse.
The passenger mirror will move out of the lowered position when the vehicle moves forward faster than about 15kmh or when the rotary knob is moved out of the "R" position.

Hope this helps — the function can be handy at times (although I mostly forget to use it.)

Tronz
23-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks for that.. I will give it a try...

Tronz
27-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Thanks a lot that worked after few attempts. Many thanks

Eaglehawk
27-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Don't people read the whole thread? The instructions were on the 8th post! Anyway, good to see people are finding a "hidden" feature.

Hillbilly
27-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Don't people read the whole thread? The instructions were on the 8th post! Anyway, good to see people are finding a "hidden" feature.

Ha ha I will give recent poster a break as he didn't have a manual but its marvelous what you can find if you read it and can sort out that a lot of it is written for Left hand drive cars and you have to use opposite side to get some things working.

Yes it pays to read a whole thread CAREFULLY

PS I still never bother to use the "feature" and still have no rash on the rims LOL

gustogroove
27-11-2013, 09:39 PM
The MKVII Golf is packed with features, the mirror down on reverse is one of my top five.

tonymy01
07-12-2013, 01:16 AM
I have never used it since fitting the RVC on my mk6, as the RVC lines really indicate where you are in relation to the gutter quite well.

Bambazonke
20-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Am I right in thinking that even if I get the auto-dip coding done, the mirror actually requires a different motor mechanism ?

Yes you will also require additional hardware namely a new mirror assembly and wiring loom to the door/window module as the actuator has additional wiring to move the mirror to the preset angle when reversing. You will also need a highline door module which will 1. Support the function 2.Have the memory capacity to store the preset value.

These highline door modules will also support the electric folding function and puddle light option as well.

I have recently upgraded my std Tiguan mirrors to do all these functions using new and secondhand parts from an overseas Tiguan and Passat CC

MIRSAD
23-12-2013, 01:25 PM

Some people don’t like mirror down

Idle
11-03-2014, 03:55 PM
OK, we seem to have most of that sorted (although I'll still swear my mirrors are rigidly mounted) — but does anyone know how to actually adjust the Mk 7 Highline exterior mirrors (the bulky streamlined ones, not the flat ones on a stalk in an earlier photo?)

Mine are still in the originally delivered position, (more-or-less OK, but needs improving) and I can't find any way to adjust them, nor does the manual I have explain it, other than to say that in an emergency they can be moved by pressing on the glass, which doesn't seem to work on mine (glass feels as rigid as the housing mount, I can feel the glass flexing but the motor doesn't move.)

Somewhere in the controls there ought to be a 4-way joystick for this (lots of other cars I've owned have had one,) but I can't find one on this machine — am I blind as well as stupid?

flight
11-03-2014, 04:16 PM
There is a knob on the driver's armrest. Turn this knob to the left, then use it as a joystick to adjust the left mirror. Then turn the knob to the right and adjust the right mirror. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

DV52
11-03-2014, 05:36 PM
There is a knob on the driver's armrest. Turn this knob to the left, then use it as a joystick to adjust the left mirror. Then turn the knob to the right and adjust the right mirror. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Flight: You are correct in all that you say. Before I got my car, I thought that the "Joystick" analogy was very apt. However, I now think that it's not appropriate because there seems to be four set positions for controlling the up/down in/out function. For example, I can't make the mirror go up by tilting the knob verticle. After much frustration, I now envisage the adjustment positions as an "X" . It seems on my car that the knob has to be at the apex of one of the stokes to operate the adjustment motor (nothing seems to happen inbetween the strokes). Has anyone else found this?

Idle
11-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Thanks, Flight — that's precisely what I expected to happen (same as on the Mk 6, which worked OK.)

Seems like I may have a faulty switch — it does nothing — will look further into it.

Nauend
11-03-2014, 09:32 PM
After much frustration, I now envisage the adjustment positions as an "X" . It seems on my car that the knob has to be at the apex of one of the stokes to operate the adjustment motor (nothing seems to happen inbetween the strokes). Has anyone else found this?

Mine moves the mirror following a "+" format, so moves left or right or up or down, which seems fine. No smooth joystick (any direction) motion. (My previous non-VW car did have a joystick motion, so not limited to a "+" motion, but then how often do you usually adjust it?)

veew
12-03-2014, 06:59 AM
DV52, mine adjusts if I move it in the expected + positions. Maybe have the service centre check it out.

Nauend, I adjust my mirrors a fair bit, usually dipping them when reversing but that is because I have both mirrors synchronised and I don't want to kerb my rims.

DV52
12-03-2014, 09:30 AM
DV52, mine adjusts if I move it in the expected + positions. Maybe have the service centre check it out.

Nauend, I adjust my mirrors a fair bit, usually dipping them when reversing but that is because I have both mirrors synchronised and I don't want to kerb my rims.

Mine moves the mirror following a "+" format, so moves left or right or up or down, which seems fine. No smooth joystick (any direction) motion.

Thanks for the replies. I will have the service guys have a look at the adjustment knob (although on closer investigation, you could both be right that the apex positions are more like a "+" than an "x")

Veew: Appropos of your response to Nauend, why don't you use the auto tilt function on the LH mirror when reversing (to avoid kerbing the rims)?

veew
12-03-2014, 11:01 AM
I live on a one way street, sometimes parking on the street in front of my place means the right rims are at risk of being kerbed. I have already set up the auto-tilt for the usual parallel parking situations.

Nauend
12-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Hi veew, I do switch between auto tilt and no auto tilt regularly, but generally don't adjust the position of the mirrors otherwise. But I can see you situation is very different.

My previous car had multiple mirror (and seat) position memory which is a feature I miss, especially after my daughter has been using the car, and could help with your situation too! I wonder if any VW's have a feature like that.

Hillbilly
12-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Hi veew, I do switch between auto tilt and no auto tilt regularly, but generally don't adjust the position of the mirrors otherwise. But I can see you situation is very different.

My previous car had multiple mirror (and seat) position memory which is a feature I miss, especially after my daughter has been using the car, and could help with your situation too! I wonder if any VW's have a feature like that.

Passats do if you pay $2500 for the flash seats etc