PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Wiper Issues

stat71
07-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi all,

Well I've been driving my 110TSI Mk 7 approx 4 weeks now and have discovered a couple of annoying issues concerning the front wipers.

1. A smear that constantly appears when the wiper is in use (drivers side) and bumping across the windscreen. At first I thought it was a result of the wiper blades being on the car for many months in transit from Germany so I purchased some Bosch blade / arms to replace. I also discovered the following: what annoys you about your mk7! - Page 8 - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3859)

2. The new Golf Mk 7 will only take a OEM arm/blade combo at present. When attempting to fit an appropriate replacement from Bosch it was apparent that they have changes the design of the arm lock cavity ever so slightly but enough to prevent me fitting the right size bosch arms :mad:. A little bit of research and I discovered that this is indeed the case with the Mk 7 and we will need to wait for Bosch etc to modify their designs for the Golf Mk 7.

Not happy, and the dealer seemed unaware of any issues including the OEM arm issue!

brad
07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Juddering blades could be a number of things beyond just the blades.

I would have gone back to the dealer & asked them to look under warranty.

Could also be a build up on the glass. There are a couple of threads in the detailing area about how to thoroughly decontaminate glass.

Idle
07-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Yes, it's probably on the glass — my Mk6 had the same smeary wipers when new.

After a number of cleans they're much better, and at 4+ years I've still not had to change the blades.

brad
07-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Yes, the OEMs are amazingly good.

Mine just hit 5.5yrs. Used to change wiper blades every 6mths on previous vehicles.

rpps
07-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Hi all,

Well I've been driving my 110TSI Mk 7 approx 4 weeks now and have discovered a couple of annoying issues concerning the front wipers.

1. A smear that constantly appears when the wiper is in use (drivers side) and bumping across the windscreen. At first I thought it was a result of the wiper blades being on the car for many months in transit from Germany so I purchased some Bosch blade / arms to replace. I also discovered the following: what annoys you about your mk7! - Page 8 - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3859)

2. The new Golf Mk 7 will only take a OEM arm/blade combo at present. When attempting to fit an appropriate replacement from Bosch it was apparent that they have changes the design of the arm lock cavity ever so slightly but enough to prevent me fitting the right size bosch arms :mad:. A little bit of research and I discovered that this is indeed the case with the Mk 7 and we will need to wait for Bosch etc to modify their designs for the Golf Mk 7.

Not happy, and the dealer seemed unaware of any issues including the OEM arm issue!
After reading a lot of replies on the same issue on a South African forum it appears it's quiet common with the LHS wiper blade, my dealer changed mine under warranty and it wipes nice and clean now with no smearing in the middle.
The other problem on my car is the poor FM reception it keeps fading in and out, again this is a common problem and VW Germany are suppose to be working on a solution.
The other main concern is, I checked my oil level today my car has just done 2000klm's and the oil is down on the add mark and needs about a litre of oil to bring it up. Surprising considering it's only a new car so keep an eye on that for sure.

jets
07-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Yes, the OEMs are amazingly good.

Mine just hit 5.5yrs. Used to change wiper blades every 6mths on previous vehicles.

I changed mine today on my Mk5. In December will be 8 years.In owners book VW says wiper rubbers should be changed every 12 months or even 6 months. Only changed because there must have been a slight nick in the rubber leaving an unwiped line on RHS wiper.
I reckon mine have lasted this long because I avoid parking in the sunlight & if I have to, I cover the windscreen with a sunscreen.
Despite someone saying on another thread that you need to buy the whole blade, I purchased just the rubbers for around $10 ea from VW. That is for the Mk5 aero, don't know about later models.

greg32
08-07-2013, 06:51 AM
I was able to get the correct rubber profile from autobarn for my R. It takes a bit of effort but they are replacable with some care. A good windscreen polish also works wonders.

stat71
19-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Well I'm at the dealers now and have just showed them the problem - response? "This is not covered under the warranty". So I showed them what I had been reading concerning this problem only to be told that they know this is a problem and they have tried to get them covered under warranty only to be told no. Pissed off.

brad
19-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Well I'm at the dealers now and have just showed them the problem - response? "This is not covered under the warranty". So I showed them what I had been reading concerning this problem only to be told that they know this is a problem and they have tried to get them covered under warranty only to be told no. Pissed off.

If the wiper blade is changed at your cost & the problem persists then the problem isn't the blade, it's either the arm or the arm pressure. I can understand that the wiper rubber wouldn't be covered under warranty on a vehicle more than 6 months old but a relatively new vehicle such as yours should be a different story.

I'd suggest you ring VW customer service & explain your problem in a logical yet insistant manner .

ziggyboy
19-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Well known MK7 problem worldwide.

One UK dealer told a customer that it was wear and tear so isn't covered. This was after one use of the wipers (first time it rained since ownership).

MK7 wipers are s**t! - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469)

Smearing wiper? common issue? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?146517-Smearing-wiper-common-issue)

cathaldinneen
19-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi Stat71, sorry to hear you're having a few manufacturing issues with your MKVII, thankyou for keeping everyone informed.

Do you know what the build date of your car was ?

stat71
21-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Build Date was Dec 2012.

Regarding the wiper issue, I asked to speak with the service manager, whipped out my iPad and showed him the online discussions concerning the issue. He agreed it needed sorting and replaced my blades free of charge. The problem persisted (hence more likely a wiper arm issue) and has escalated this to VW Australia. Now I wait for a response.

Sunny43.5
22-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Not only Golf's guys the wifes new Transporter T5 does the same thing bloody annoying smear right in the sight line .

Dano™
23-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Took delivery of my MK7 last night in the rain, smear is present directly in drivers line of sight.

Other than that over the moon with the car :)

Brew69
23-07-2013, 05:57 PM
So the flex blades don't fit?

stat71
25-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Only OEM's will fit currently

kure69
23-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi All

What solutions has your dealership provided you. I'm curious to know. My dealer is only replacing my blades with bosh twin aero blades.

I hear that some have had their arms changed.

Tip if you do notice that your blades are playing up take it back to the dealer with in the first 1000km so you don't get the
"This is not covered under the warranty".

Cheers

Baz 55
24-09-2013, 11:02 PM
After reading a lot of replies on the same issue on a South African forum it appears it's quiet common with the LHS wiper blade, my dealer changed mine under warranty and it wipes nice and clean now with no smearing in the middle.
The other problem on my car is the poor FM reception it keeps fading in and out, again this is a common problem and VW Germany are suppose to be working on a solution.
The other main concern is, I checked my oil level today my car has just done 2000klm's and the oil is down on the add mark and needs about a litre of oil to bring it up. Surprising considering it's only a new car so keep an eye on that for sure.

I was told by the dealer to keep an eye on the oil light as it may need to be topped up. The reason is they use very light oil as the engine is basically being run in. So wouldn't be too worried about that. He also told me to pop back to the dealership if it needed a top up. Suggest you do that. Good luck

iStress
25-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Got the problem on my 90TSI which I received one week ago. Called up the dealer and they're arranging a new wiper (right hand side) to be installed next week. I will let you guys know if the new one works.

kure69
01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi All

Got the new wiper blade installed and it works perfectly.

Cheers

Snail Style
02-10-2013, 06:32 AM
I have been replacing the rubber and arm, which has been fixing the problems and so far no returns.

iStress
03-10-2013, 12:03 AM
I can also provide an update. Went to VW yesterday and got both wipers replaced. All is good.

Brew69
03-10-2013, 09:18 AM
My dealer told me on Monday that there was no fix yet and they were not replacing anything until VW came out with a fix. This was still some time away and i would have to put up with it.

kure69
04-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Guess you're going to the wrong dealer....
Try another dealer or give customer care a call.

What dealer is it? Write some feed back on their google review page.

R1200GS
04-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Got mine replaced by the Dealer recently. The problem is improved, but still persists.......

I really like the car, so I'm happy to keep trying. The AM radio reception is doing my head in though!!

iStress
06-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately the wipers started smearing again today. I only got them replaced 5 days ago.

kure69
07-10-2013, 07:39 AM
I don't know where you located. But mine got sorted out at the bay ford dealer in epping Melbourne. Try them if you can. My car is June built I don't know if they might have had a factory arm update.

Cheers

Watercooled
07-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Correct blades are important also,in my country the european cars I have bought have always been fitted with incorrect blades,IMO most part retailers don't know the right ones and tend to sell anything the "sort of" fits.
Dealers class wiperblades as consumables and generally won't do much for the customer.

Give your windscreen a good clean with meths and newspaper (old skool but works for me) or clean the winscreen with automotive wax and tar remover and then go to a quality glass cleaner.

I get my arms and blades from oversea's and find the Bosch and SWF brands to be best,good luck

JonathanT
07-10-2013, 05:26 PM
I had all the same problems as you guys, had it replaced for free at Barloworld Glen Waverly today after much argument. I really can't believe that a company as big as VW doesn't seriously test wipers, hear wastegate rattles and in my case and sell cars with squeaky clutch pedals. My first VW and most likely my last

R1200GS
10-10-2013, 09:55 PM
I had all the same problems as you guys, had it replaced for free at Barloworld Glen Waverly today after much argument. I really can't believe that a company as big as VW doesn't seriously test wipers, hear wastegate rattles and in my case and sell cars with squeaky clutch pedals. My first VW and most likely my last

My first VW too.. but I've had a brace of BMWs dating back to 1988, each one of which had their own (small) problems. I've also owned a Ducati and an Alfa Romeo, which make our 'issues' almost invisible.... At this stage Mk7 problems are teething issues...

Brew69
08-11-2013, 07:42 PM
VW Australia tell me the new arms have been available for 2 months now. Called my dealer and they have ordered the replacement.

Mountainman
08-11-2013, 10:19 PM
My first VW too.. but I've had a brace of BMWs dating back to 1988, each one of which had their own (small) problems. I've also owned a Ducati and an Alfa Romeo, which make our 'issues' almost invisible.... At this stage Mk7 problems are teething issues...
My Mk7 Golf is the most perfect car I've ever owned. The stop / start and the auto hold and electric park brake work perfectly and no wastegate rattles or squeaky clutch pedal or smearing wiper blades. I've had a run of ultra reliable Jap cars over the last 30 years but this Golf beats them all for excellent build quality and trouble free driving characteristics. At 18,000km I have no complaints about anything. Oh yeah, one - wish the headlights were brighter.

bru20vt
17-11-2013, 06:32 PM
At 18,000km I have no complaints about anything. Oh yeah, one - wish the headlights were brighter.

I agree about the headlights. Fitted some Osram Night Breaker Unlimited yesterday which are much whiter and brighter - a worthwhile improvement over the standard bulbs. Drivers side was easy to replace, the passenger side is a pain with limited access.

Brew69
18-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Went in today and they said vw customer service were full of it. Still no fix according the head office spare parts.

ganstar
25-12-2013, 02:16 PM
So the flex blades don't fit?

I just picked a MK7 last week and it appears to have the flex blades. Though I dont know for certain as I have no idea what was originally installed. Lifting them they definitely flex, much more so than regular wipers on previous cars I've had. I tested them this morning and there appears to be no smear, but shocking shuddering. I mean really bad.

Brew69
26-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Had mine fixed and they still smear. How hard can it be?

DV52
27-12-2013, 03:27 PM
I just picked a MK7 last week and it appears to have the flex blades. Though I dont know for certain as I have no idea what was originally installed. Lifting them they definitely flex, much more so than regular wipers on previous cars I've had. I tested them this morning and there appears to be no smear, but shocking shuddering. I mean really bad.

ganstar: Had the same problem with my Mk7 when I got it (in June this year). I believe that the wipers are called Bosch aero wipers (no idea why the tag "aero" is used - probably because they are meant to be aerodynamic). Any way, I found that the suddering problem was highly sensitive to the amount of water on the windscreen and also dependent on the new-ness of the wipers. After about a month of intermittent use, the shuddering was greatly reduced. Now I simply adjust the sensitivity slider on the wiper switch to stop the suddering (intermittent mode). I've read on one of the European forums that Bosch are looking at a modified version of aero-wipe becasue of the dreaded smudge complaint. Not sure if these are commercailly available as yet.

ganstar
27-12-2013, 06:16 PM
ganstar: Had the same problem with my Mk7 when I got it (in June this year). I believe that the wipers are called Bosch aero wipers (no idea why the tag "aero" is used - probably because they are meant to be aerodynamic). Any way, I found that the suddering problem was highly sensitive to the amount of water on the windscreen and also dependent on the new-ness of the wipers. After about a month of intermittent use, the shuddering was greatly reduced. Now I simply adjust the sensitivity slider on the wiper switch to stop the suddering (intermittent mode). I've read on one of the European forums that Bosch are looking at a modified version of aero-wipe becasue of the dreaded smudge complaint. Not sure if these are commercailly available as yet.

Thanks for that. I didn't test them scientifically, i had someone hose the windscreen with me inside operating things. But if it's still shuddering for you that doesn't really sound ideal. Booked a warranty service to fix the rattle and this, I'll wait and see what happens. Called the service dept about 8am, sounded like the female customer service personnel had already had enough of customers for the day. Hope this isn't a taste of things to follow.

flight
08-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Yep, had my wipers replaced 2 times so far and even on the 3rd set they still smear on the drivers side. Initially the replacements were good for the first couple of weeks, then the smearing came back. Annoying, but I can't be bothered going to get them replaced again. Going to wait till they wear out and then get the bosch wipers.

I am wondering if the driver's side wiper smear problem happens with every Mk7 Golf, or are many of them quite OK.

Any views please?

Idle
08-04-2014, 02:34 PM
I've had no problem with mine (TDI110.)

The Mk6 TDI103 Comfortline I had before it had smeary wipers from day one.

It might be positioning on the ship coming out — prolonged exposure to black (heavy) diesel exhaust can make an awful mess of glass, and Germany's a long way from Australia.

Many years ago we took a car on the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth — the truck it was on was directly behind the loco's from Adelaide on, when I picked up the car it was well coated with oil which I never did manage to completely get rid of and had to change the wipers a couple of times over the next few months.

Brendan_A
08-04-2014, 02:59 PM
It might be positioning on the ship coming out — prolonged exposure to black (heavy) diesel exhaust can make an awful mess of glass, and Germany's a long way from Australia.

Are you for real??

They are not deck cargo.

veew
08-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Yep, had my wipers replaced 2 times so far and even on the 3rd set they still smear on the drivers side. Initially the replacements were good for the first couple of weeks, then the smearing came back. Annoying, but I can't be bothered going to get them replaced again. Going to wait till they wear out and then get the bosch wipers.

I thought the factory ones are made by Bosch as well...whats the difference between the ones you're getting?

Apparently the standard wipers are French Valeos? Anyways for those interested, these are the Bosch A864S wiper blades people have been buying after going through a few VW wiper blades. Good reports so far.

(http://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397007864)http://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397007864
OR
A864S Bosch Wiper Blades (http://www.windscreenwipersdirect.co.uk/A864S_Bosch_Wiper_Blades_p/a864s.htm)

veew
08-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Aerotwin A864S - Set of 2 - Bosch Auto Shop (http://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397007864)
OR
A864S Bosch Wiper Blades (http://www.windscreenwipersdirect.co.uk/A864S_Bosch_Wiper_Blades_p/a864s.htm)

These are the Bosch A864S wiper blades people have been buying after going through a few VW wiper blades. Good reports so far.

Snail Style
08-04-2014, 05:26 PM
There is a technical bulletin for this issue. The original bosch blades need to be replaced by Federal Mogul blades to rectify the issue. :P

cox11
08-04-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm having shudder problems also. Dealer told me that happens when they are new

Idle
08-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Are you for real??

They are not deck cargo.

Have you seen them being unloaded?

Brendan_A
08-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Have you seen them being unloaded?

On YouTube yes. So what about it?

They come over on a RORO car carrier which is fully in closed. Exhaust fumes come out the stack which is very high above the deck.

Can't see how they would get covered in exhaust fumes.

Mountainman
08-04-2014, 10:16 PM
I am wondering if the driver's side wiper smear problem happens with every Mk7 Golf, or are many of them quite OK.

Any views please?
All I know is that mine (Dec 2012 build) have been perfect for all the 33,000km I've driven it. No smear, no shudder.

popeclement
09-04-2014, 07:56 AM
All I know is that mine (Dec 2012 build) have been perfect for all the 33,000km I've driven it. No smear, no shudder.

Had my fronts replaced two weeks after picking up the vehicle - they are ok but still tend to smear a little - lots of windscreen washer to keep it smear free,

Apparently the standard wipers are French Valeos? Anyways for those interested, these are the Bosch A864S wiper blades people have been buying after going through a few VW wiper blades. Good reports so far.

Aerotwin A864S - Set of 2 - Bosch Auto Shop (http://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397007864)
OR
A864S Bosch Wiper Blades

Is there a part number for the rear one?

Lemonskin
09-04-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm having shudder problems also. Dealer told me that happens when they are new

I had crazy shudder issues for the first 6 weeks or so.

It's calming down now, I guess the friction or whatever was causing it is lessening.

flight
10-04-2014, 02:57 PM
There is a technical bulletin for this issue. The original bosch blades need to be replaced by Federal Mogul blades to rectify the issue. :P

Do you have a ref number and/or date for this technical bulletin please?

Also, does the bulletin apply to all Mk7 Golfs? Or will recently manufactured cars come with wipers that don't have the problem?

Snail Style
10-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Can't be sure. It effects all Golf 7's fitted with Bosch blades. I'll see if I can get hold of it tomorrow.

Saintza
12-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Can't be sure. It effects all Golf 7's fitted with Bosch blades. I'll see if I can get hold of it tomorrow.

That would be great if you could, thanks!

enzso
13-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Not having any issues with my wagon picked up 2 weeks ago. I mentioned it to the dealer prior to delivery and he said they always replace the wiper blades anyway....

DP Vic
30-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Do you have a ref number and/or date for this technical bulletin please?

Also, does the bulletin apply to all Mk7 Golfs? Or will recently manufactured cars come with wipers that don't have the problem?

Took my Golf in for the 45D4 update and got the dealer to look at the wipers. I Originally had the Valeo wiper blades which they replaced with Bosch OEM blades in February. I was still experiencing the streak in the drivers lines of sight, however, it wasn't as bad as the Valeo ones. The dealer tried telling me that I should use some kind of wax/compound on the windscreen and to clean the wiper blades every couple of weeks - when I told them this wasn't acceptable and that there is probably a defect with the blade design, they blatantly said there was nothing they could do for me and basically suck it up.

As I didn't find this acceptable, I decided to take a gamble and order the Bosch wiper blades from the Bosch store/website as others have reportedly done. They arrived today and I fitted them straight away. I was skeptical.... But much to my amazement, they bloody work!!!!

No more smearing & quiet operation. To think I have been putting up with this problem for 6 months and all it took was me to order the Bosch Independent aftermarket part! VW really need to get their sh*t sorted!

So if you are experiencing the wiper smear like I was, I strongly recommend the Bosch Aerotwin A864S blades!

n0d3
30-05-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm experiencing some "shuddering" with the rear wipers when it's on the way down, tried cleaning the glass and everything but no dice.

Anyone knows if I can just order another set online?

veew
30-05-2014, 10:31 PM
I decided to take a gamble and order the Bosch wiper blades from the Bosch store/website as others have reportedly done. They arrived today and I fitted them straight away. I was skeptical.... But much to my amazement, they bloody work!!!!

No more smearing & quiet operation. To think I have been putting up with this problem for 6 months and all it took was me to order the Bosch Independent aftermarket part! VW really need to get their sh*t sorted!

So if you are experiencing the wiper smear like I was, I strongly recommend the Bosch Aerotwin A864S blades!

Happy to hear they're working well. Keep us updated with your progress after a few months, that is the real test as most wipers work pretty well from new

wasabiz
31-05-2014, 12:46 AM
I'm experiencing some "shuddering" with the rear wipers when it's on the way down, tried cleaning the glass and everything but no dice.

Anyone knows if I can just order another set online?

I had this issue for the first 2 weeks after delivery of my vehicle. Took it for a cruise and my girlfriend went nuts inside the car (it was a rainy day). Now, after 2 weeks of non stop rain I can safely say it's finally gone.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

n0d3
31-05-2014, 01:39 PM
I had this issue for the first 2 weeks after delivery of my vehicle. Took it for a cruise and my girlfriend went nuts inside the car (it was a rainy day). Now, after 2 weeks of non stop rain I can safely say it's finally gone.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up! Will see how it goes.

samcyh
03-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Hi All

For those who is going to pickup the Brand new Golf, I would highly recommended you to check your WIPER especially on the driver side. I pickup my car on on 31-May2014 and on 1-June-2014 (less than 1 day) I discovered the wiper does not work smoothly. I notices a lot of owners having the same issues on internet and because I discovered this the second day I pickup the car, the sales person willing to fix it and replace it with a replacement model of blade for us. FREE of CHARGE. The service manager advise this is a known issues of VW Golf MK7 but they will not proactively replace the problem blade. He also mention if owner report it after 1000KM, they will treat it as wear and worn, the owner will have to pay for replacement. I am lucky enough to discover this. When you pickup your BRAND NEW GOLF MK7, Please use the wind screen liquid on and off for 5 minutes and you should able to discover the issues.

Good luck to all new GOLF MK7 owner.

wasabiz
03-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Mine disappeared after 2 weeks of non stop rain. Not sure of this will happen to everyone

Lemonskin
03-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Mine had bad shuddering for the first few weeks but it didn't rain much. Cleared up after a few days of solid rain and it's fine now. Even when it was shuddering, spraying a bit of the soapy washer fluid on cleared it up. Not a problem.

Mikey1
03-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi All

For those who is going to pickup the Brand new Golf, I would highly recommended you to check your WIPER especially on the driver side. I pickup my car on on 31-May2014 and on 1-June-2014 (less than 1 day) I discovered the wiper does not work smoothly. I notices a lot of owners having the same issues on internet and because I discovered this the second day I pickup the car, the sales person willing to fix it and replace it with a replacement model of blade for us. FREE of CHARGE. The service manager advise this is a known issues of VW Golf MK7 but they will not proactively replace the problem blade. He also mention if owner report it after 1000KM, they will treat it as wear and worn, the owner will have to pay for replacement. I am lucky enough to discover this. When you pickup your BRAND NEW GOLF MK7, Please use the wind screen liquid on and off for 5 minutes and you should able to discover the issues.

Good luck to all new GOLF MK7 owner.

What exactly is the fault with the originally supplied wiper blades? You refer to a "replacement model of blade". Does this replacement have a different part number to the original ones fitted? Were both wiper blades replaced? Should I ask for new wiper blades to be installed before taking delivery of my new R because of a known issue, regardless of whether there is an active service campaign or not? Or do I need to ask the dealer to test mine while I'm present, and have replacements on stand-by?

Mountainman
03-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Don't do anything until you know there is a problem - and most likely there won't be. Mine have been perfect (now a year old). But then mine doesn't make that wastegate actuator rod rattle that some complain about on the TSI engines either.

pologti18t
04-06-2014, 04:01 AM
Has anyone with the smearing wipers tried clay barring the windscreen?

a239947
04-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Has anyone with the smearing wipers tried clay barring the windscreen?

I have donr this but it doesnt always work. Usually smearing is from the blades losing their edge. It does help the water and road grime slide off easier though and your blades hold their edge longer!

this message thrown at you from the window of my flying Golf!

flagger
04-06-2014, 09:10 AM
I had my blades replaced twice within the first month of ownership by VW service. Still smeared on the drivers side. I gave up, and am living with it. Had a look at the Bosch online store, $60 for the aeroblades is a bit steep...considering we shouldn't have to pay money to fix this kind of problem. :mad:

lambertia
04-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Hi All,

I picked up my wagon about two weeks ago. I have no issues with smearing or shudder but I do have a very annoying "thump" sound when the blades change direction. Especially when they change direction to start going down. It's pretty annoying.

Does anyone else have this?

Cheers,
--
Greg.

Brycem
04-06-2014, 02:17 PM
My wife's wagon (less than a week old) goes in tomorrow. Wipers have only been on once and were smearing (driver's side middle of blade) and skidding and consequently bouncing off the window seal at the furthest point of travel. Very disappointing. Will see what they come up with.

CT69
04-06-2014, 02:49 PM
I specifically mentioned the known wiper issue to my (very good) dealer, and they specifically checked them prior to delivery.
They worked fine for two weeks, then driver's side smearing started, plenty of rain, car and blades clean.
I got the Bosch aero twins which have been perfect ever since (nearly 2000km).

When I changed them, I compared the OEM blades to the aero twins - they are almost but not quite identical, with a slight difference in overall length and curvature. I suspect that this difference results in a slight pressure change on the glass at that point, which may or may not result in smearing. Don't know why VW just don't go with the aero twins from the start...

Brew69
10-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Got my Aero twins today. Fitted and have a smear free windscreen. I am pissed off we have to fix these with our money. Any VW replacement wiper only last a few weeks. Hope the Bosch ones last a winter.

Brendan_A
10-06-2014, 06:18 PM
My VW replacement wipers are 10 weeks old and still smear free.

siu_loong_bao
26-07-2014, 09:17 AM
When I picked up my R at te start on this month, I didn't pay much notice to the wipers. But 2nd day of ownership, the smudge happened. Was a bit lazy and didn't contact the sales guy until 2 weeks lapsed. Then was told to contact their Servce Dept; in which I didn't do until yesterday.

The lady on the phone said that VW would fix the issue (I assume change of wiper blade) under 1000kms. Anything over a 1000kms was to be charged as a consumable. I told her that the issue happened 2nd day. She told me to bring the car in and have it checked out. Now, this morning I was expecting a *****fight over a wiper blade, so I went in calm but demanding "can u let me know if this will be fixed under warranty as I'm not paying for it and I'll take it up with Consumer Affairs".

15 mins later, it was fixed and I drove away happily. I didn't even have to sign any paperwork Car has around 1400kms on the clock.

I wonder how long b4 the issue re-appears. Hmm...

Kesh
26-07-2014, 12:37 PM
I've had my mk7 for about 2 months, done about 5000k's and I got mine fixed no questions asked. Was quite impressed. Just said "hey my wipers are smearing" he just asked for my keys and I waited about 30 minutes and I was off.

SergeP
12-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Same here. Golf MK7 Confortline manual with 2500km on the clock. Went to VW Ringwood (Vic.) and got a replacement within 15mns.

dening
12-08-2014, 05:42 PM
I was told by vw to go to my dealer to get them looked at. Just haven't had time yet.

BFPO40
12-08-2014, 07:55 PM
I've had three Mk7 Golfs since Oct 2013, two of them had awful wipers. One was a 2013 build, the other is a 2014 build (GTI which I'm now driving).

I have a set of the Bosch Aerotwin blades - instant fix for the annoying wiper smearing issue.

kennyc
14-08-2014, 10:18 AM
My new ones are worse than the old ones now, will have to go back to dealer at some point and get them changed again...

Kesh
14-08-2014, 11:41 AM
My new ones are worse than the old ones now, will have to go back to dealer at some point and get them changed again...

When I got mine fixed, there was no paperwork done, or at least given to me. So if you plan on going there multiple times for a faulty wiper blade, do ask for some paperwork so you can prove that they're not as old as the car, so they can't blame it on wear and tear.

kennyc
19-08-2014, 09:31 AM
When I got mine fixed, there was no paperwork done, or at least given to me. So if you plan on going there multiple times for a faulty wiper blade, do ask for some paperwork so you can prove that they're not as old as the car, so they can't blame it on wear and tear.

Yeah no probs, they did give me paperwork for the last "fix" so will take it when I eventually go back.

MattyMcFly
01-12-2014, 09:12 AM
I picked up my MY15 R last week and this issue is still apparent... streaking, shuddering, noise... pretty piss poor.

I'll try to get to the dealer today to have them take a look.

mui_michael
03-12-2014, 12:37 AM
I picked up my MY15 R last week and this issue is still apparent... streaking, shuddering, noise... pretty piss poor.

I'll try to get to the dealer today to have them take a look.
I have had the same problem mate... I have taken the car back three(3) times for the dealers to get it fixed/replace. All of which were unsuccessful and made one customer absolutely pissed.

First time they gave me this reason: "we have a certain procedure to follow from VW before we can replace the blade for you... this time we can only adjust the wiper to fix the issue".

Second time I demanded a replacement and they feed me with this BS: "the new wiper blade are just dry and needs a coating of cleaning alcohol..." I was like WTF......

Third time round I told them if this is not fixed than VWA will definitely hear about it. This time this certain VW dealership ensure me that they will handle it but yet again... disappointment.

So I took things into my own hands and rang VWA myself(21/11), as I wanted to talk to a real person so they know how pissed I'm. They opened a case for me and promised me they will give me a call within 2-3days, not a call back after a week of waiting, so I called back(28/11) and within 2hrs they followed up saying they will replace it during my first service(5/12), I'm happy with the outcome but definitely not happy with the customer service from both the dealership and VWA for taking so long to act...

Sorry for the long post guys, but definitely be proactive in the things you think it's right and demand for a fair treatment.

mgs996tt
03-12-2014, 09:10 AM
I have had the same problem mate... I have taken the car back three(3) times for the dealers to get it fixed/replace. All of which were unsuccessful and made one customer absolutely pissed.

First time they gave me this reason: "we have a certain procedure to follow from VW before we can replace the blade for you... this time we can only adjust the wiper to fix the issue".

Second time I demanded a replacement and they feed me with this BS: "the new wiper blade are just dry and needs a coating of cleaning alcohol..." I was like WTF......

Third time round I told them if this is not fixed than VWA will definitely hear about it. This time this certain VW dealership ensure me that they will handle it but yet again... disappointment.

So I took things into my own hands and rang VWA myself(21/11), as I wanted to talk to a real person so they know how pissed I'm. They opened a case for me and promised me they will give me a call within 2-3days, not a call back after a week of waiting, so I called back(28/11) and within 2hrs they followed up saying they will replace it during my first service(5/12), I'm happy with the outcome but definitely not happy with the customer service from both the dealership and VWA for taking so long to act...

Sorry for the long post guys, but definitely be proactive in the things you think it's right and demand for a fair treatment.

Picked up MY15 R last week.....having the same issues with shuddering.

mui_michael
03-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Picked up MY15 R last week.....having the same issues with shuddering.
Take it back mate, and make sure they replace it. This shouldn't be happening to a one week old car...

Flipper
03-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Someone gave me the tip to put some Bars Leak windscreen cleaner into the washer bottle and that solved the problem once and for all it must have some type of lubricant built into it.

MattyMcFly
03-12-2014, 07:27 PM
So I didn't end up getting to the dealership, but interestingly I ran the wipers on the way to work this morning with the windscreen washer spray and they didn't shudder. I thought it might have been a fluke because I was using the fluid, and because they were only running for a second. I should note for completeness that this wasn't the first time I had used the windscreen washers to I can't attribute the change to that.

Anyway, it pissed down in Sydney this afternoon whilst I was driving home, and the wipers were much better. They were still noisy at the point of changing direction, but were not shuddering across the screen like previous.

This leads me to wondering whether VW, whether it be at the factory or when delivered in Australia, or the dealer, are using something during the post-construction to pre-delivery stage that is either fouling the screen or the wipers themselves which is leading to this problem.

Idle
03-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Don't put Bars Leak in your washer — the proper name is Bars Bugs.

And yes, your wipers won't shudder on a wet screen — the shudder is from the blade snagging in the glass when it's dry or almost so.

Some blades have a lube built in, some don't — the problem is as old as wipers, much older than VW..

MattyMcFly
03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Don't put Bars Leak in your washer — the proper name is Bars Bugs.

And yes, your wipers won't shudder on a wet screen — the shudder is from the blade snagging in the glass when it's dry or almost so.

Some blades have a lube built in, some don't — the problem is as old as wipers, much older than VW..

Mate, you're probably only trying to help, but I'm pretty confident we don't have 9 pages worth of content based upon people who are complaining about their wipers shuddering on a dry windscreen!

If you had taken the time to have a read before posting I think you would find that the majority, if not all of us, are complaining about this issue occurring whilst the windscreen is wet, like when it's raining... :facepalm:

Also, 'Bar's Leaks' is the brand who make 'Bar's Bugs', I don't think anyone is stupid enough to put Bar's Leaks' 'Stop Leak', or perhaps any of the other products made by the same company in their washer bottle.

Idle
04-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Sorry if I upset you, MattyMcFly, but I was under the impression that most VW wiper complaints involved smearing — as the blades on my Mk6 did from new.

Shuddering I've seen many times, but not on either Golf — the Mk7 I now drive has been fine for the 13 months I've had it.

And as for drivers putting Bars Leaks into a washer, as a now retired fleet owner I wouldn't put it past lots of them.

brad
04-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Also, 'Bar's Leaks' is the brand who make 'Bar's Bugs', I don't think anyone is stupid enough to put Bar's Leaks' 'Stop Leak', or perhaps any of the other products made by the same company in their washer bottle.

I think there are plenty that would - probably the same people from this forum that have topped up their oil.... to the top of the rocker cover or poured brake fluid in the coolant tank or drained the gearbox oil when they meant to do the engine. Unfortunately Darwinism doesn't work as well as it used to so you have a pretty low base to work off these days.

Is it a fair assumption that all you folk with near new cars & juddery wipers - the first thing 7you try is cleaning the windscreen with toothpaste or Ajax/Bon Ami (apply damp, allow to dry, remove with dry cloth) and give the wiper blades a clean with alcohol / metho / windex?

The windows will have a fair bit of shipping crud on them and I doubt the PD detailer does a lot of work on them. I do concede there's an issue with some units but I think there's also an issue with wax/crud/dewaxing chemical on the glass.

flat_eric
18-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Hi Team

I recently purchased a second hand 2013 Comfortline, and the driver's side wiper blade does indeed smear (left tip). Looking at the service history I see that the wiper blades were replaced at last service (at the used car dealership) with TRICO wipers. Can anyone tell me if this is an OEM product?

I can see from this thread that some people have found the Bosch Aerotwins offer a solution to the smearing problems. Can someone just confirm that this is the right product (Aerotwin A864S - Set of 2 - Bosch Auto Shop (http://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/products/details/-/productdetails/3397007864)?)

Thanks

brad
18-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Your link goes to a generic page.

Trico aren't OEM but they aren't cheap'n'nasty either.

If you are getting smears I'd attempt cleaning the windscreen first.

1) wipe over with isopropyl alcohol & buff off

2) using a damp cloth, buff in ajax or cheap toothpaste or baking soda (it needs to be slightly abrasive). Leave to dry & duff off with a dry cloth or newspaper.

3) wipe over with isopropyl alcohol.

AdamD
19-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Your link goes to a generic page.

Fixed that.

Jimi
19-05-2015, 10:12 AM
I have to say, I replaced with Aerotwins and also keep the window clean but I don't have a perfect sweep by any measure. Still a couple of little streaks (but no where near as bad as the 4" wide one right in front of my face with the original ones)

duberya
29-05-2015, 07:40 PM
I've only had my Golf for around three weeks now and have to admit that the wipers really annoyed me to begin with as they were smearing all over and bouncing on the drivers side. I upgraded from a 2013 Civic hatch that had the same problem. Seems to happen on almost every car I've driven that has one long wiper blade. I decided to attack the glass with some windscreen washer additive along with a non scratch scourer. Works perfectly now.

Imolator
06-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Another vote for the Bosch Areotwins.

My Golfs wipers still smeared a little on the drivers side even after claying and polishing with Autoglym glass polish so ordered a set of the Bosch blades and they are just so quiet and smooth now, and zero smearing.

Money well spent.

Mikey1
06-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Another vote for the Bosch Areotwins.

My Golfs wipers still smeared a little on the drivers side even after claying and polishing with Autoglym glass polish so ordered a set of the Bosch blades and they are just so quiet and smooth now, and zero smearing.

Money well spent.

15% off all Bosch wiper blades from their online shop until 30/6/15. Free delivery on orders $50 or more. And no, I'm not employed by Bosch!

https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/

tonymy01
07-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Beauty, ordered, paid, now waiting :)

veew
09-06-2015, 12:22 AM
15% off all Bosch wiper blades from their online shop until 30/6/15. Free delivery on orders $50 or more. And no, I'm not employed by Bosch!

https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/en/

Thanks, just ordered! Just so sick of these wretched OEM wipers.

Mikey1
02-07-2015, 08:12 PM
I was visiting my local VW service department today, and they had a pile of leaflets labelled: "Get Aero Windsceen Wiper Blades fitted for Winter" - "Wipe away the winter blues for only $65". It would seem VW Australia is hitting back with their own range of aero wipers for popular models, including "Golf MY 2009-2015", which obviously includes all Golf Mk7's.

I know this thread has been bagging the factory supplied aero wipers no end, but isn't it interesting VW are actively marketing their aero wipers after all the criticism. They must think they are pretty good, as the deal includes fitting by no less than a "Volkswagen trained technician" and they come with a standard Volkswagen Genuine Parts two year warranty. The offer end on 31/07/15.

I now feel a little guilty for promoting the Bosch wiper sale a few posts back, but that ended on 30/06/15, so now Volkswagen has the entire month of July to claw back sales. Of course, the Bosch Aerotwin A864S were only $50.14 during the sale period (normally $58.98), so the VW offer is still more expensive, whichever way you look at it.

veew
01-08-2015, 09:11 AM
I recently came back from an overseas trip where I was provided with a Golf Comfortline as a hire car in France. It had with 15,000km on the odometer and fortunately it rained for a couple hours with the car. I can report that the car did not have an issue with the windscreen wiper smear which ticked me off about my car.

While I was away my Bosch wipers were delivered, I decided to hold off installing them until it rained to see a direct before/after comparison. It is raining today so I decided to clay the windscreen one more time before driving around the block, unfortunately with Murphy's law, this has now fixed the smearing. I've clayed the windscreen 3 other times in the last 16 months with no noticeable improvement so am very surprised it worked this time. I'm going to hold onto my Aerotwin wipers as I'm sure the dreaded smearing will return all too soon.

Edit: Well that didn't last long, about 2 days. Got the Bosch wipers fitted and over the past week they've been working great!

Thanks Imolator for the heads up on the sale!

Valvster
30-01-2017, 07:41 PM
As per the title I purchased a pair of Aerotwins 6 months ago from the UK (unavailable from Bosch OZ) and they initially worked OK for a few months although had that dry rubbery squeegee sound with light rain but no shudder.
Wife then started complaining they were shuddering in heavy rain.
Put back the original 2.5 year old OEM's that came with the car, problem solved so I figure no problem with the wiper arms adjustment.
Spotlessly cleaned the windscreen and the rubber blades but they still shuddered.
I noticed the shuddering was more pronounced at the extremity of the drivers blade so I compared the OEM blade to the Bosch.
It seems the Bosch had lost it's tension having only a gentle curve whereas the OEM had a much greater curve.
I re-tensioned the Bosch to match the OEM but 6 weeks later the problem returned worse than ever in heavy rain. Interestingly this time the blades have not lost their tension and still look as good as new (we normally don't get a lot of rain in Adelaide).
Any further inputs or ideas appreciated.

Valvster

Umai Naa!!
30-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Both of my VWs run genuine wipers for this reason.

Cost is no issue, when I know they work :)

ope126
30-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Both of my VWs run genuine wipers for this reason.

Cost is no issue, when I know they work :)

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Valvster
30-01-2017, 11:07 PM
Interesting....the www is littered with problems with MK7 OEM wipers and the solution was to change to Bosch Aerotwins.
Wiper Judder - Experiment - VW Golf R MK7 Chat - VW R Owners Club (http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/5983-wiper-judder-experiment/)
Crap wipers - VW Golf R MK7 Chat - VW R Owners Club (http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/11059-crap-wipers/?hl=wipers)
If VW have fixed the problems with the OEM's(Valeo I think) I'm happy to purchase from them as long as I know they work.

Valvster

Imolator
05-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Bumping this thread....

Your not alone, I had this very issue with my 2015 MK7 it's a common enough issue.

I replaced my OEM blades with Bosh Aerotwins and can recommend them. Big improvement on the originals and still on the car.

Have a read of this thread.

Jozh
08-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Bumping this thread....

Your not alone, I had this very issue with my 2015 MK7 it's a common enough issue.

I replaced my OEM blades with Bosh Aerotwins and can recommend them. Big improvement on the originals and still on the car.<br>

Have a read of this thread.

Agree, picked up a pair aswell off ebay, good price too!

Front: Aerotwin A864S - Set of 2 - Bosch Auto Shop (https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/products/details/-/productdetails/3397007864/aerotwin-a864s-set-of-2)
1x Bosch Set Of Wiper Blades A864S 3397007864 [4047025144698] | eBay (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5337592361&toolid=10001&mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-Bosch-Set-Of-Wiper-Blades-A864S-3397007864-4047025144698-/323106779254)

Rear: Rear Blade A282H - Single - Bosch Auto Shop (https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/products/details/-/productdetails/3397008634/rear-blade-a282h-single)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-Bosch-Wiper-Blade-A282H-3397008634-4047024496811-/323315922968 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5337592361&toolid=10001&mpre=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5337592361&toolid=10001&mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-Bosch-Wiper-Blade-A282H-3397008634-4047024496811-/323315922968)

WallySimmonds
08-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Has anyone had any problems with their blades actually scratching the windscreen? Mine were initially shuddering in heavy rain, didn't think much of it but I've noticed some very light scratches on the windscreen now. I'm presuming it can be fixed, but I don't really want to leave the originals on if they cause this.

DrWHO
08-10-2018, 11:35 PM
In very light rain I had a terrible sound like fingernails on a blackboard and in very heavy rain some shuddering. I poured some spray on window cleaner into the wiper/washer reservoir and all fixed.

crainger
09-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Has anyone had any problems with their blades actually scratching the windscreen? Mine were initially shuddering in heavy rain, didn't think much of it but I've noticed some very light scratches on the windscreen now. I'm presuming it can be fixed, but I don't really want to leave the originals on if they cause this.

Not scratching, but I've come across some bad shuudering that needed a bit of work to fix up.
Best bet is to replace the wipers. I like Bosch AeroTwins, well worth the money.
Clean the windscreen and then use a razor to scrape up any junk and bugs that might have set on the screen.
Polish with a auto glass polish, but you can use any good polish. I like Meguiars Ultimate polish as it doesn't leave white residue on black plastic.
Clean with alcohol or auto glass cleaner, then I usually put on Rain-X, but not everyone likes these products.
I then top up the washer fluid with distilled water and Bosch additive or the Rain-X washer additive. The Bosch additive prolongs the life of the wiper blades, Rain-X renews the Rain-X application (I don't mix them though just use what ever the seasons dictates)
Then I enjoy my silky smooth wipers.