PDA

View Full Version : The great DSG recall of 2013

2009fsi
01-07-2013, 03:06 AM
I'd be interested to know if any owner has received any correspondence from VAG/Skoda about this recall.
Of the half dozen I know who have Superbs or Octavias manufactured within the date range, not one has heard anything.
Perhaps with the media off their backs, VW/Skoda have round filed the affair already. While there is an emphasis on the overheating in traffic problems of the 7speed, I'd be surprised if the electrolysis problems of the ECU housing were any different for the 6 speed. From what I can find out the hardware is the same, even if the software isn't. Any experts around that can say yea or nay?

Volkswagen Group Australia Pty Ltd—Skoda Octavia and Superb vehicles
PRA number: 2013/13635
Date published: 14th June 2013

Product information

Product description
All Skoda Octavia and Superb vehicles manufactured between November 2008 and August 2011
Identifying features
35C3
What are the defects?
Due to electrolysis, the DSG 7-speed transmissions are susceptible to conductive deposits forming in the gearbox control units, possibly causing the gearbox fuse to blow. Should this happen, the clutch will fully open due to power supply failure, causing the vehicle to roll to a stop if in motion.
What are the hazards?
In the majority of cases, the fault occurs when the engine is started with the vehicle stationary. If the fuse blows while the vehicle is in motion, however, a sudden loss of power at the wheels could in certain circumstances occur while the vehicle is being driven. This may pose a hazard to the vehicle occupants and other road users. All other functions of the vehicle (steering, braking, etc.) remain fully active.
Where the product was sold
Nationally

Traders who sold this product
Authorised Skoda dealers nationally
Supplier
Volkswagen Group Australia Pty Ltd
What should consumers do?
A letter is being sent to affected owners of the vehicles. For further information, customers can contact their local Skoda Authorised Service Centre or contact Skoda Customer Care on 1800 607 540.

omega31
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I'd be interested to know if any owner has received any correspondence from VAG/Skoda about this recall.
Of the half dozen I know who have Superbs or Octavias manufactured within the date range, not one has heard anything.
Perhaps with the media off their backs, VW/Skoda have round filed the affair already. While there is an emphasis on the overheating in traffic problems of the 7speed, I'd be surprised if the electrolysis problems of the ECU housing were any different for the 6 speed. From what I can find out the hardware is the same, even if the software isn't. Any experts around that can say yea or nay?

Called VW Australia and was informed that even though my MY12 SKODA Octavia was manufactured May 2011 my VIN number is not in the range of the recall. They also to told me that should I have any issues with the DSG I should contact them.

I must say I love how my DSG responds and have no issues as reported so far, so, do not really want it touched unless it is really faulty.

gavs
01-07-2013, 12:01 PM

The principle of operation is the same and that is it.

The 6spd dsg, model designation dq250 runs a single hydraulic setup and a common lubrication setup with clutch packs encased in the common oil of the dsg, hence the requirement for servicing every 60,000s or more frequent if used in harsh operating conditions.

The 7spd dry clutch dsg, model designation dq200 runs separate hydraulic and lubrication circuits for the dsg, the gear train in lubrication and sealed for life and the mechatronics unit hydraulically sealed for life.

The electrolysis issues are specifically related to mechatronics units built within a specific time frame and have absolutely no correlation to the 6spd dsg even though there are common issues between all 3 dsg boxes. Unfortunately I have attempted to persuade Fairfax media to continue the pressure but they have now decided that after getting their story, they don't care about any other issues...

dArK5HaD0w
01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
While there is an emphasis on the overheating in traffic problems of the 7speed, I'd be surprised if the electrolysis problems of the ECU housing were any different for the 6 speed. From what I can find out the hardware is the same, even if the software isn't. Any experts around that can say yea or nay?

the hardware between the dsg6 and dsg7 is different, as already explained by gavs.

2009fsi
01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Agree omega31, I also have no complaints with the 6speed with my V6.
Yes the 6 & 7 speed are different gearboxes. But it is still not clear to me that the actual ECU unit is different & not subject to the same issues relating to electrolysis. One of the interesting things about chasing up a wide range of part numbers for any vehicle made in western Europe is just how many of them use the same part from EOM suppliers. That's not only within the VWG but other manufacturers as well. No effort wasted in reinventing the wheel for each different brand name it seems.

onyertod
16-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Advising of "Voluntary Recall" of my 2009 Octy tsi with 7 sp DSG due to electrolysis problem which can lead to blown mecatronics fuse which causes clutches to open and car to freewheel. Skoda are preparing for the recall and will write to me again when they are ready to do the work.

sstorra
18-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Advising of "Voluntary Recall" of my 2009 Octy tsi with 7 sp DSG due to electrolysis problem which can lead to blown mecatronics fuse which causes clutches to open and car to freewheel. Skoda are preparing for the recall and will write to me again when they are ready to do the work.

+1

We got the same letter, for our Superb 118TSI/7sp DSG, one of the first of the MY12 models produced.

zach
18-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Received my letter yesterday. Octavia June 09 build. Follow up letter to advise when part/s arrive.

cbay
30-07-2013, 08:08 AM
great news for you guys!

that's strange, omega31. is your octavia a diesel?

my 90tsi dsg7 was manufactured outside that range (nov 2011), and no letter as expected. however i'm unlucky as i'm getting different (or possibly related?) shudder issues that are still being resolved.

omega31
21-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Nope , mine is the 7 DSG 118tsi and did get the recall letter even though was told other wise over the phone.

roshea
05-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Has anyone affected by the recall had the work done yet? I visited my dealer in July about another issue (clutch plates; will be replaced under warranty too) and was told that they'll do those at the same time as the mechatronic; still waiting for the call.

Martin
05-09-2013, 07:16 PM
TheSpeedFighter bought a Superb TSI118 and had this service done as a condition of sale