PDA

View Full Version : Mk7 iPod Compatibility (MDI, Bluetooth etc)

Wrinkles66
28-06-2013, 04:14 PM
I have just taken delivery of my 2013 Series 7 TDI Highline and have been very disappointed to find that I can’t connect my iPod (Classic, Touch or Shuffle) the the vehicle's sound system.

The car has a USB port, audio jack connection, two SD card slots and a CD player but no MMI connection. Dealer said that is no problem, ‘just connect your device with through the USB port’ ..…. BUT the USB port does not recognise any of my Apple devices.

I have gone back to the dealer and the response was:

“After making some enquiries with regards to the USB and streaming music I have found out that this is not possible. The usb can accept a thumb drive etc, which you can load music on to, but does not stream music from phones as this is meant to be done by the Bluetooth system.”

Bluetooth however is not a satisfactory alternative for me. You can only see details of the track you are playing and you can’t search by album, artist etc on the sound system, only on the device itself - hardly an option when driving. Nor is it an acceptable option to transfer individual tracks to an SD card or thumb drive – I want access to all my music when I want it. Buyer beware.

team_v
28-06-2013, 04:26 PM
I recommend going on ebay and finding an MMI cable or asking your dealer to throw it in as they provided false information.

I have got by fine with an SD card.
And i am glad i didn't have to pay extra for an apple-centric cable to be included with the car.

Tobes_WIR35
28-06-2013, 04:50 PM
I had to buy the ipod cable from VW for $80. This allows full functionality that you desire.

I'm assuming that the MDI is similar to the mk6?

Wrinkles66
28-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys but how do you connect the device to the car with the iPod connector cable when there is no MMI/MDI socket in the car? I understand that there was an MMI/MDI socket in the Mk 6 if not earlier models but not in mine Series 7.

Tobes_WIR35
28-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Are you sure? Have you checked in the center console or glove box?

My MDI socket is in the centre console.

Paul_R
28-06-2013, 06:22 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this. My 10 year old iPod 4th gen is playing up and I'm too old to figure out an SD card so was going to buy a new iPod. Might not bother as I'll hopefully have a Mk 7 R in 18 months. Might have to look at an SD again.

Let us know how it goes.

Wrinkles66
28-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Nope, not there. USB and audio socket only in centre console, CD player and 2x SD card readers in glove box. One SD card reader has the satnav SD card.

buzuki
28-06-2013, 07:23 PM
As stated, newer gen ipods have bluetooth, this is how you connect.

Ive not tried it personally so operation may be different as also stated OP

exzibit
28-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Have you tried auxiliary cable to the iPhone?

stat71
29-06-2013, 08:05 PM
I've been using bluetooth from from iPad and am pretty happy with the performance thus far. I will be setting up the SD card soon as will want to use by mobile on the bluetooth.

Nauend
29-06-2013, 10:51 PM
You can have more than one device attached to Bluetooth at the same time and use them for different purposes. For example I was using my phone for calls and daughters phone for music.

Sd card is better thought as u have album art displayed etc.

Wrinkles66
30-06-2013, 07:42 PM
That is the other problem - you can only have one Bluetooth device connected at a time. If the was an MMD socket you could have both your phone and all your music readily available.

AdamD
01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
I believe VW has discontinued the MDI, and it is not available on the Mk7, even as an option. It's bluetooth, USB, or nothing - which means that the Mk7 is incompatible with older iPods such as the Classic.

elephino
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
I believe VW has discontinued the MDI, and it is not available on the Mk7, even as an option. It's bluetooth, USB, or nothing - which means that the Mk7 is incompatible with older iPods such as the Classic.

Damn. I'm in the camp of not liking Bluetooth streaming as it offers no control over the device.

pologti18t
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Damn. I'm in the camp of not liking Bluetooth streaming as it offers no control over the device.

I don't think this is correct for late model devices.

Nauend
02-07-2013, 12:48 AM
The manual mentions that what is available when using Bluetooth will vary depending on the device. My Iphone 4S connects automatically and starts playing via bluetooth automatically, and you can do a few simple functions like next and previous from the Discover Media system. Not much else. You can control what's playing from the phone too, but..........

SD offers more functionality over bluetooth, like playlists, album art, song list displays etc. I expect USB will offer this functionality too, but have not tried it.

elephino
03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't think this is correct for late model devices.

Very little control then :) Makes it difficult to switch between podcasts, for example.

pologti18t
03-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Very little control then :) Makes it difficult to switch between podcasts, for example.

Whats a podcast?

dubstyle
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
The USB in the Golf 7 is for charging and flash drives only. It will not read info from an ipod/mp3 player. I just copied a whole load of music from my laptop onto a flashdrive and leave it in the car all the time, or stream music from my phone using bluetooth.

Paul_R
07-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Well I got the SD thing working. $20 for a 16Gb card. $35 to join iTunes Match which allowed me to re-download my DRM music in non-protected format. Converted my whole iTunes library to mp3 (in iTunes), deleted all the AAC versions and then dragged the folders onto the SD card in explorer. Even figured out how to make the random function work (sort of) by putting a single music track in the root folder (thanks Google).
Works a treat and a lot cheaper than a new iPod. It is a bit clunky to set up compared to syncing an iPod but it works. Much faster than MDI in switching between tracks. Volume seems louder too although that might be because the previously DRM files are now at a higher bit rate.
Now all I need is a Mk 7 R!

Wrinkles66
14-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Just tried the auxiliary cable connection to my iPod Touch. You can get music to play through the in-car system BUT... no streaming, no album, artist or track information, no ability to move forward or back a track - all those functions can only be performed on the iPod itself - in other words, even less functionality than the Bluetooth connection. Also need to keep iPod connected to USB port to charge device. Bottom line, the auxiliary connection is not a practical option.

angelus512
31-07-2013, 01:09 PM
So nobody has thus far been able to have their ipod and by extension iPhone display music, playlists and artist album covers via the USB connection or some adapter for it that can be bought?

Wow...

I mean how difficult do they need to make it? USB...to iPhone connector bam done. Evidently thats not possible?

gustogroove
31-07-2013, 01:26 PM
It's for charging your iDevice, and that's it.

elephino
01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
So nobody has thus far been able to have their ipod and by extension iPhone display music, playlists and artist album covers via the USB connection or some adapter for it that can be bought?

Wow...

I mean how difficult do they need to make it? USB...to iPhone connector bam done. Evidently thats not possible?

More than just bam to convert the information from the iPod to the display and then interact with the iPod.

OYE
03-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Well I got the SD thing working. $20 for a 16Gb card. $35 to join iTunes Mtheatch which allowed me to re-download my DRM music in non-protected format. Converted my whole iTunes library to mp3 (in iTunes), deleted all the AAC versions and then dragged the folders onto the SD card in explorer. Even figured out how to make the random function work (sort of) by putting a single music track in the root folder (thanks Google).
Works a treat and a lot cheaper than a new iPod. It is a bit clunky to set up compared to syncing an iPod but it works. Much faster than MDI in switching between tracks. Volume seems louder too although that might be because the previously DRM files are now at a higher bit rate.
Now all I need is a Mk 7 R!

Thanks Paul_R for sharing how you were able to convert your itunes library to mp3 files. I did the itunes match thingy and long story short my favorite songs on my SD card with full functionality/controls bluetooth and Aux don't offer. Thanks heaps!!

jessv3
12-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I am surprised people prefer to use their iPod to play music over a usb stick. Its just adding an extra step of complexity when uploading music to their car, when really all the head unit is doing is using the ipod as a thumb drive, except you have to use itunes to upload any music whereas a usb stick is simply drag and drop!

Put the ipod on ebay, and buy a $25 32GB usb stick from office works. You won't look back, I know I havent.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

orkers
12-08-2013, 02:42 PM
I am surprised people prefer to use their iPod to play music over a usb stick. Its just adding an extra step of complexity when uploading music to their car, when really all the head unit is doing is using the ipod as a thumb drive, except you have to use itunes to upload any music whereas a usb stick is simply drag and drop!

Put the ipod on ebay, and buy a $25 32GB usb stick from office works. You won't look back, I know I havent.

A lot will depend on how and where you listen and update your music. I have an SD card loaded with a large part of my music collection and I often listen to this in the car, but I don't tend to update it too often.

I also have music and podcasts on my iPhone that I regularly update as I listen to this device in the car, when running and at work.

The ability to control the iPhone through the head unit and select different podcasts, albums or playlists etc while the phone is also charging is invaluable to me, and the fact that I will not be able to do this in a MK7 is a bit disappointing.

Obviously I will get over it and just stream podcasts through Bluetooth and update the SD card more regularly but still it is something that should be easy for VW to allow for. I recently had a loan Range Rover Evoque that only had USB connectivity but when the iPhone was plugged in I was able to fully control the iPhone through the head-unit.

jessv3
12-08-2013, 03:31 PM
A lot will depend on how and where you listen and update your music. I have an SD card loaded with a large part of my music collection and I often listen to this in the car, but I don't tend to update it too often.

I also have music and podcasts on my iPhone that I regularly update as I listen to this device in the car, when running and at work.

The ability to control the iPhone through the head unit and select different podcasts, albums or playlists etc while the phone is also charging is invaluable to me, and the fact that I will not be able to do this in a MK7 is a bit disappointing.

Obviously I will get over it and just stream podcasts through Bluetooth and update the SD card more regularly but still it is something that should be easy for VW to allow for. I recently had a loan Range Rover Evoque that only had USB connectivity but when the iPhone was plugged in I was able to fully control the iPhone through the head-unit.

That's fair enough, I was under the impression you were using an iPod not an iPhone. As a workaround you could use a few smaller usb/ sd cards. I don't have an iPhone, so basically if Im at work or home and want to upload a new podcast for the car i just dumb it on any spare 1GB usb stick that I keep laying around.

irossiter
12-08-2013, 04:13 PM
I can't understand why VW have taken a backward step with this. I love the simplicity of plugging my iPhone in via the MMI cable, particularly as it charges and allows full connectivity through the iTunes library on my touch screen in the GTI. I wonder if VW refused to pay Apple's fee to have direct access to the phone? I'm waiting for the Mk 7 GTI to come out and maybe by that time they might have changed it. :mad:

X-Rated
17-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Hmmmmm - it took me about 15 seconds of searching with Google to find this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251313223752?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649).

Very happy with my Mark 6 GTD, and she'll be good for a couple of years yet, so I have no current need for one of these. But for the sake of less than $50, it's got to be worth a try for one of you Mk 7 owners. Just saying...

A.

Nauend
18-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Hmmmmm - it took me about 15 seconds of searching with Google to find this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251313223752?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649).

Very happy with my Mark 6 GTD, and she'll be good for a couple of years yet, so I have no current need for one of these. But for the sake of less than $50, it's got to be worth a try for one of you Mk 7 owners. Just saying...

A.

Don't waste your money ordering one of these as the Aus Mk 7's have USB. They dont have MDI. Just saying.......

philthy
20-08-2013, 07:33 PM
A ford falcon has full functionality when you plug an iPod/ iPhone into the USB port. Poor effort VW!

Brew69
31-08-2013, 08:15 PM
What is the plug above the usb? Looks like a MDI?

jdbrown1953
01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
What is the plug above the usb? Looks like a MDI?

On my Mk 7 the plug above the USB is a 3.5mm din plug (like that on iPhone headphone's). Its not the VW media port found on previous Golf's

emufriedchicken
03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
any update with ipod connectivity with the new GTI....I see there are a few places on ebay that sell like a ipod cable for MK7 but are they compatible with Aussie spec cars???? Picking my new GTI up on Friday and just want to know if I have to see if the dealer can throw a cable in the deal for a sweetner....Cheers

scobb
08-12-2013, 04:51 AM
FWIW, the NZ-spec Mk7 (both Comfortline and Highline) comes with an MDI mounted in a compartment in the centre console in a cubby in front of the gear lever. By default, an MDI to iPhone/iPod cable is included, but you can also get an MDI to USB cable if you want to connect a small form factor hard drive. That's what I did in my recently traded Polo 6R GTI which gave me full access to all of my music and I plan to do again when my Mk 7 1.4 TSI Highline arrives in a couple of weeks. Sure, you could also use Bluetooth A2DP for streaming, but this never seemed as comprehensive or convenient an option to me.

notice
10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Does it make a difference what speed SD card I buy? Like 30MB/s, 45 or 90? They are the Sandisk options and get quite expensive.

scobb
10-01-2014, 01:44 PM
The only real difference will be in the speed of writing to the card i.e copying data from your PC to the SD card. It won't matter in terms of playback in the car, so if you don't mind waiting a bit longer to copy your music onto the card, buy the cheaper, slower card.

night_flight
24-01-2014, 04:29 AM
I kinda see the point why VW has ditched MDI....constant updates to deal with apple's evolution in terms of software and hardware is too much...having had iPhone 3g all way to iPhone 5 as new software comes MDI would be playing...At the moment I have to have lighthing adapter thats connected to MDI...The latest software from apple does not let me select previous song and has issues with forward song too...luckily bluetooth streaming is unaffected to this issue

GeckoZAO
24-01-2014, 03:11 PM
I think VW is dropping ios devices support because apple made change for the port? just guessing. ;)

kennyc
25-01-2014, 06:46 AM
Hi all, bit off topic but I have a question regarding the "media center" connections on the mk7 golfs.
In my mk6 the MDI connection is in the center console, so when I want to charge the phone I can rest the phone on where the cup holders are or on the passenger seat.
With the Mk 7 can u plug in the phone, close the glove box but still manage to have the phone on the passenger seat or on the center console? Or do you have to keep it in the glovebox?

scobb
25-01-2014, 07:13 AM
The MDI connection in the Mk7 is located in a cubby in front of the gear lever. There is room inside the cubby for the phone to be connected to the MDI to allow streaming/charging and for the door to the cubby to be closed. It's a nice, discreet solution in my opinion.

kennyc
25-01-2014, 05:17 PM
The MDI connection in the Mk7 is located in a cubby in front of the gear lever. There is room inside the cubby for the phone to be connected to the MDI to allow streaming/charging and for the door to the cubby to be closed. It's a nice, discreet solution in my opinion.

Yeah I saw where it is today after test driving one, really happy where they put it.

jdbrown1953
25-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Yeah but for Australian models it's not a MIDI port, just a USB charging port only! Buying MIDI cables for the Australian model MK 7 Golf is just a waste of money. They won't work!

kennyc
25-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Yeah but for Australian models it's not a MIDI port, just a USB charging port only! Buying MIDI cables for the Australian model MK 7 Golf is just a waste of money. They won't work!

True, but for me I have an Android phone and can do a lot more with it. All I need it for is charging anyway as all my music will be on an SD Card

GeckoZAO
26-01-2014, 07:41 PM

not only a charging port, you can use memory sticks to play music!

JC76
03-02-2014, 05:26 PM
I've just bought a vii highline, with a Discover Media system in it. Reading up in the instruction book it says:

The vehicle may be fitted with a MEDIA-IN multi-media interface...

REQUIREMENTS
Compatible Data Storage Devices... IPods and IPhones of various generations...

Adapter for connecting a data storage device. An external data storage device should be connected to the MEDIA-IN multimedia interface via an adapter. AN adapter is supplied with the interface. Other adapters are available from a Volkswagen dealership. Do not use memory card adapters, USB extension cables or USB hubs.

I've tried to use the Apple cable and the phone will charge but will not play music. I have also attempted to contact the VW dealership to find out where the supplied cable is but they are yet to call me back...

readerr0r
03-02-2014, 06:07 PM
I've just bought a vii highline, with a Discover Media system in it. Reading up in the instruction book it says:

I've tried to use the Apple cable and the phone will charge but will not play music. I have also attempted to contact the VW dealership to find out where the supplied cable is but they are yet to call me back...

Key word is 'may' in that section of the manual. The AU-spec Golf 7s are not fitted with a Media-in interface.

JC76
03-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Vexing, but thanks for pointing that out. I wish the sales guy had done the same.

*edit* the port is labelled "media in" in the multi media interface picture in the manual and the car just has a USB symbol. So I guess we missed out.

scobb
03-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Completely bizarre that au-spec cars don't have this but the nz-spec cars just across the ditch do. Why would they bother differentiating in such a minor way? You'd think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Ideo
04-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Because VW Australia are idiots who think the Australian consumers will accept old sheet shoveled down their collective throats.

I hate bluetooth audio. Hate it with a passion. The sound quality is just abysmal.

nway91
06-02-2014, 05:46 PM
So basic consensus on this is, there's no possible way to directly connect your iPhone via cable to the Golf?

Alex31
06-02-2014, 06:49 PM
In my golf there is not difference in Bluetooth sound to USB/CD sound quality

Golf mk7 TDI Highline. 17inch blade wheels, Bi-Xenon, DA pack limestone grey

scobb
06-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Agreed. Bluetooth A2DP streaming audio quality is excellent and to my ageing ears at least, indistinguishable from CD or MP3 inputs.

nway91
06-02-2014, 07:15 PM
I'll give a go when we go car shopping on the weekend and check it out

Blybo
13-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Jeez I'm pissed about this. Have 140gb of cd quality music on an iPod Classic that we can't use:mad:. Using sad or flash drives just sounds like a ridiculous solution. I connected an iPod to a 2013 Passat so can't believe a mk 7 won't accept it. Lift your game VWA.

jdbrown1953
14-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Had a good look at an Audi A3 sedan yesterday. Connected my phone via Bluetooth and it displayed my album art while playing music and even read out a text message. These things don't happen on a Golf 7. All part of the Volkswagen group so go figure!

Wrinkles66
14-02-2014, 01:59 PM
The other limitation with the Golf 7 Bluetooth connection is that you can only connect one device at a time - it is either your music or your phone, you can't run both simultaneously. Don't know if it is the same with Audi or other vehicles in the VW stable.

Ideo
14-02-2014, 02:22 PM
In my golf there is not difference in Bluetooth sound to USB/CD sound quality

Golf mk7 TDI Highline. 17inch blade wheels, Bi-Xenon, DA pack limestone grey

I tried it when I was testdriving new cars.

Was not impressed. Put on Mogwai Fear Satan which is 18 minutes of instrumental post rock bliss with lots of difference in volume etc and the sound quality and glitches was not impressive at all.

vdubberd
14-02-2014, 06:34 PM
The other limitation with the Golf 7 Bluetooth connection is that you can only connect one device at a time - it is either your music or your phone, you can't run both simultaneously. Don't know if it is the same with Audi or other vehicles in the VW stable.
I have two devices connected simultaneously to my bluetooth on my Golf? One being my phone and the other being my ipod for music??

gustogroove
14-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Yep I have both mine and my wifes phone synched at the same time

Blybo
15-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Agreed. Bluetooth A2DP streaming audio quality is excellent and to my ageing ears at least, indistinguishable from CD or MP3 inputs.

What codec are you using for your files? Unless FLAC, WAV or ALAC it must be inferior to CD.

scobb
15-02-2014, 02:31 PM
320 Kbps CBR MP3. In my opinion, that's more than adequate for use in a car, given that you are hardly in an audiophile environment.

Incidentally, I do use FLAC when listening to my home stereo.

Ideo
15-02-2014, 04:28 PM
320 Kbps CBR MP3. In my opinion, that's more than adequate for use in a car, given that you are hardly in an audiophile environment.

It's probably fine for pop music or radio. But as I said, the compromise is one that is not needed and just VWA cutting costs again.

Blybo
16-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Thanks. Well as I'm sure you are aware it can't be equal to CD playback then but that's fine if your happy with it.

Yesterday I tried a thumb drive and an SD card with a couple of m4a (apple lossless) albums but the GTI comes up with file error or no files available despite the manual saying these files are supported. :mad:, please don't tell me it's some issue with Apple computers.... And I really don't want to convert the entire library.

midlifecrisis
20-02-2014, 11:02 AM
So m4a's don't work with Bluetooth ?

And you can't connect a physical apple phone/iPod ?

readerr0r
20-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks. Well as I'm sure you are aware it can't be equal to CD playback then but that's fine if your happy with it.

Yesterday I tried a thumb drive and an SD card with a couple of m4a (apple lossless) albums but the GTI comes up with file error or no files available despite the manual saying these files are supported. :mad:, please don't tell me it's some issue with Apple computers.... And I really don't want to convert the entire library.

Apple lossless uses a different codec (ALAC) with is then put into a m4a container.

When the manual says it supports m4a it means Mpeg-4 Audio, aka AAC placed in a m4a container.

High bitrate (256+) AAC passes blind tests all the time with much better sound systems than a stock golf... A2DP usually sounded terrible because the digital to analogue converters in the BT units were only really intended for voice, but the later VW units are much better.

midlifecrisis
26-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Is this a solution to iPhone mk7 golf integration ? MEDIA - IN MDI - Golf 7 5Q - iPhone 5 5S / iPod - 5N0035554G (http://www.carsystems.pl/media-in-mdi-golf-7-5q-iphone-5-5s-ipod-5n0035554g,id802.html)

zardoz
26-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Is this a solution to iPhone mk7 golf integration ? MEDIA - IN MDI - Golf 7 5Q - iPhone 5 5S / iPod - 5N0035554G (http://www.carsystems.pl/media-in-mdi-golf-7-5q-iphone-5-5s-ipod-5n0035554g,id802.html)

I would say so! Contemplating similar for when I place my order.

I believe the Discover Media might play FLAC - has anyone tested this? The Discover Pro certainly can, even though it's undocumented.

jdbrown1953
27-02-2014, 07:12 AM
I would say so! Contemplating similar for when I place my order.

It's not plug and play! It will require VCDS recoding.

midlifecrisis
27-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Mmm. That's a shame.

Blybo
27-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Apple lossless uses a different codec (ALAC) with is then put into a m4a container.

When the manual says it supports m4a it means Mpeg-4 Audio, aka AAC placed in a m4a container.

High bitrate (256+) AAC passes blind tests all the time with much better sound systems than a stock golf... A2DP usually sounded terrible because the digital to analogue converters in the BT units were only really intended for voice, but the later VW units are much better.

That's a bugger. I'm currently converting my entire library to 320 AAC so I can drop it on a SD card... I hope the artwork isn't too large, that will be a big task to manually change 370 albums.

My iPhone 5 has 256 versions on it to save space as per ITunes option when syncing. In my car (a Territory) I have a separate iPod classic connected directly and it plays the ALAC versions. A glitch on a country trip on Tuesday meant the iPod connection didn't happen for 30 minutes or so so I had to use bluetooth streaming from my iPhone. Sounded terrible compared to the ALAC versions. Not sure if the Territory supports the A2DP or not though.

My Territory does have Focal splits and an integrated 2ch amp and 8" sub under the passenger seat. Fair bit of Dynamat inside the front door skins too.Trying to convince the wife to do similar with the GTi, but waiting till the factory speakers are fully run in first.

nix83
27-02-2014, 01:39 PM
that was the first thing that peed me off with the golf the ipod wouldn't work
I ended up having to buy new ipod with Bluetooth to get it to work.
Even my MK5 golf had ipod connectivity

zardoz
27-02-2014, 03:43 PM
It's not plug and play! It will require VCDS recoding.

Would certainly expect it to require coding - fortunately, I have VCDS... but not sure if the coding helpers are aware of the new options yet.

midlifecrisis
27-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Where's the best place to buy a VCDS for Aussies?

Nauend
28-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Volkswagen National eStore (http://www.parts.vw.com/vwparts/index.cfm?action=accessories&makeid=35&manufacturerid=1000&catalogid=200&categoryid=40002&subcat1=50017&subcat2=0&subcat3=0&subcat4=0&subcat5=0&modelid=637&siteid=9&itemid=404592&jointvehid=17279&startyear=2013&startrow=1&partnumber=&description=&overlayExtids=&overlayIntids=&retval=%2Fvwparts%2Findex%2Ecfm%3Faction%3Daccesso ries%26siteid%3D9%26catalogid%3D200)

Looks very similar. Wow, the solution of buying a (expensive) cable and then some vcds recoding seems simple. Must mean the golfs have whatever hardware or software needed to interact with the iPhone built in?

AdamD
01-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Where's the best place to buy a VCDS for Aussies?

Dub Addiction sells them locally and at a good price; that's where I got mine:

VCDS (VAGCOM Diagnostic System) License with Micro-CAN Interface - $349.00 : Dub Ad·dic·tion [duhb uh-dik-shuhn] (http://www.dubaddiction.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=98&zenid=p99hnq0258qb1f8m5jt4h9qgj2)

zardoz
01-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Volkswagen National eStore (http://www.parts.vw.com/vwparts/index.cfm?action=accessories&makeid=35&manufacturerid=1000&catalogid=200&categoryid=40002&subcat1=50017&subcat2=0&subcat3=0&subcat4=0&subcat5=0&modelid=637&siteid=9&itemid=404592&jointvehid=17279&startyear=2013&startrow=1&partnumber=&description=&overlayExtids=&overlayIntids=&retval=%2Fvwparts%2Findex%2Ecfm%3Faction%3Daccesso ries%26siteid%3D9%26catalogid%3D200)

Looks very similar. Wow, the solution of buying a (expensive) cable and then some vcds recoding seems simple. Must mean the golfs have whatever hardware or software needed to interact with the iPhone built in?

This appears to be the mark 6 cable if the website is to be believed.

Nauend
01-03-2014, 10:00 PM
This appears to be the mark 6 cable if the website is to be believed.

Yeah, the Mk6 built between 2010 and 2014 based on what the website says.

readerr0r
02-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Yeah, thats the Mk6/Mk5/Polo etc. version.

Blybo
03-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Okay maybe somebody can help me copy files across to my SD card... in folders.

I've now got Apple lossless and AAC versions of all my tracks in iTunes. Problem is finder (I use mac) sees every track as mpeg4 audio. Is there a short cut to only copy the AAC versions out of multiple folders and keep the folder structure?

AdamD
04-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Okay maybe somebody can help me copy files across to my SD card... in folders.

I've now got Apple lossless and AAC versions of all my tracks in iTunes. Problem is finder (I use mac) sees every track as mpeg4 audio. Is there a short cut to only copy the AAC versions out of multiple folders and keep the folder structure?

You would need to write a shell script or similar to do that. Quick Guide to Bash Shell Scripting (http://osxdaily.com/2009/10/30/quick-guide-to-bash-shell-scripting/)

readerr0r
06-03-2014, 08:25 AM
I heard on the grapevine that the Mk7 MDI allows for video playback (when paired with a red collared ipod 30pin -not blue-, no word on compatibiliy with the lightning) from the iPhone, not sure if this is compatible with the Discover Media or if its a Discover Pro only affair.

Eaglehawk
06-03-2014, 09:37 AM
I heard on the grapevine that the Mk7 MDI allows for video playback (when paired with a red collared ipod 30pin -not blue-, no word on compatibiliy with the lightning) from the iPhone, not sure if this is compatible with the Discover Media or if its a Discover Pro only affair.

The problem is, the Mk7 doesn't come with MDI, they put a USB port in instead :(

readerr0r
06-03-2014, 11:17 AM
The problem is, the Mk7 doesn't come with MDI, they put a USB port in instead :(

As mentioned prior, retrofit options are becoming available. I thought I'd mention it to help people evaluate the purchase :)
MEDIA - IN MDI - Golf 7 5Q - iPhone / iPod (http://www.carsystems.pl/media-in-mdi-golf-7-5q-iphone-ipod,id801.html)

zardoz
10-03-2014, 11:23 PM
As mentioned prior, retrofit options are becoming available. I thought I'd mention it to help people evaluate the purchase :)
MEDIA - IN MDI - Golf 7 5Q - iPhone / iPod (http://www.carsystems.pl/media-in-mdi-golf-7-5q-iphone-ipod,id801.html)

Has anyone actually installed this thing? I'd like to know how well it still works when powering USB devices with a USB cable eg if I decide to migrate to a portable drive.

steve2209
11-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first post (other than the intro post). I pick up my 103 TSi Highline Golf on Friday and I have had conflicting reports from sales staff at the stealership regarding connecting the ipod to the car. I have a BMW X3 which uses the cable below to connect the ipod classic so that I can stream my music in apple lossless to the stereo. I have been told that it will work and I've been told it doesn't work. Does VW supply a similar cable and has anybody tried this and seen it work? Thanks in advance.

Steve

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/BMW_IPOD_CABLE-1.jpg

Lucas_R
11-03-2014, 03:56 PM
My MK6 uses a specific VW cable which plugs into the MDI in the centre console. Im assuming your Mk7 has been ordered with MDI (Media Device Interface)?

If so, then you will want the proper MDI to iphone cable. Golf Audi VW AMI MMI Media IN MDI Interface Adaptor Cable FOR Ipod Iphone Ipad | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOLF-AUDI-VW-AMI-MMI-MEDIA-IN-MDI-Interface-Adaptor-Cable-for-iPod-iPhone-Ipad-/111175155705)

Any non Genuine cables do not work properly in my Mk6 - so im sure it will be much the same in the Mk7.

Amalgam
11-03-2014, 04:07 PM
If so, then you will want the proper MDI to iphone cable. Golf Audi VW AMI MMI Media IN MDI Interface Adaptor Cable FOR Ipod Iphone Ipad | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOLF-AUDI-VW-AMI-MMI-MEDIA-IN-MDI-Interface-Adaptor-Cable-for-iPod-iPhone-Ipad-/111175155705)

+ 1

Just a word of caution that the 30 pin cables do not work with iPhone 5 /5S.

Have you tried streaming via Bluetooth??

flight
11-03-2014, 04:07 PM
This is not a simple issue, according to another thread on this site.

Have a read through this: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/ipod-compatibility-new-golf-87352.html

Best of luck!

steve2209
11-03-2014, 06:56 PM
This is not a simple issue, according to another thread on this site.

Have a read through this: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/ipod-compatibility-new-golf-87352.html

Best of luck!

hmmm thanks guys. It does seem to be more complicated than it needs to be. I will take the cable from the X3 to VW and see if it works with my iPod. I use the iPod Classic as it is 160 GB so I can put about 5,000 songs in apple lossless on it and that keeps me happy whichever mood I am in. I don't need the new cable connection that the iPhone 5 uses. BMW have had this functionality for a few years so I am very surprised if VW don't have it. If it works then I'll let everyone know and you use the BMW cable. Three more sleeps. I'm getting antsy!

Steve

readerr0r
11-03-2014, 08:52 PM
My MK6 uses a specific VW cable which plugs into the MDI in the centre console. Im assuming your Mk7 has been ordered with MDI (Media Device Interface)?

Any non Genuine cables do not work properly in my Mk6 - so im sure it will be much the same in the Mk7.

No AU Golf MK7 has MDI from factory

stedes
11-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Dear all

About to order a Mk7 and I'm confused about the media system.

In my previous Mk5 GTi I had the RCD 510 system with MDI. Could connect my iPod classic and was able to choose music on the touchscreen with nothing displaying on the MFA. I have been to my local dealer and none of the cars there seem to come with an MDI interface but all have a USB port and a 3.5mm plug in the centre console.

Questions:
- Does anyone have MDI
- Does the USB port only charge or is there any other functionality
- Does anyone have a large music collection on an SD card and if so how fast is the system accessing the songs?
- How big an SD card can the system recognise?

steve2209
11-03-2014, 11:11 PM
There is no mdi on the new golf. I can confirm that the capacity for the SD card slot is future proofed at 1TB.

zardoz
12-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Incidentally, I tried some hard drives today (1TB and 2TB, NTFS formatted) and absolutely no dice; the Discover Media would not even recognise that there was a USB device connected.....

readerr0r
12-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Incidentally, I tried some hard drives today (1TB and 2TB, NTFS formatted) and absolutely no dice; the Discover Media would not even recognise that there was a USB device connected.....

Very rare to have a NTFS formatted drive work on an embedded device (TVs, Bluray players, Media units etc.). Try exFAT, or failing that FAT.

ihawk
12-03-2014, 02:10 PM
The USB port will charge and will read music on a USB thumb drive which works quite well. You can arrange music in folders on the USB if you want. Similarly I also have an 8 gig high speed SD card connected in the glove box but have noticed sometimes songs are unrecognisable and other times they can be played. I haven't worked out why but maybe it has something to do with my particular SD card. At first I was surprised at no mdi but now I think it makes sense just to have an SD or USB. The port in the centre console is USB 2.0 according to the manual so there's no point paying more and getting a USB 3.0 speed.

neoexe
12-03-2014, 02:51 PM

The biggest HDD I've tried that worked is an old seagate 320GB formatted in FAT32. That had about 200gb worth of music and worked after a little wait for the unit to scan.

adhock
13-03-2014, 12:55 AM
My experience after 10 days in a mk7 high line:
1. There is no MDI plug or anything like what was in my mk6. Nothing. End of discussion. No way to connect MDI in an Aus spec mk7.
2. USB is charge only. It will not recognise an iPod Classic, period. I could hook it in, and connect via headphone jack, but that's hardly a sensible solution.
3. My solution: get a 32gb SD card, dump a bunch of music on it that has been processed thru iTunes to have cover images etc., organised by artist into folders then albums in sub folders (same as it probably is on your PC). Plug card into socket in glovebox. Then hit media on the dash display, and fiddle. Works better than mk6 iPod direct connect, displays album art, all normal tag info.
4. Pity about the spare iPod Classic, but the SD card only cost $30 anyway.

golfi_vend
13-03-2014, 06:40 AM

ihawk
13-03-2014, 06:54 AM
My experience after 10 days in a mk7 high line:
1. There is no MDI plug or anything like what was in my mk6. Nothing. End of discussion. No way to connect MDI in an Aus spec mk7.
2. USB is charge only. It will not recognise an iPod Classic, period.

Correct it won't recognise an ipod - I was also expecting it to. However it will recognise a USB thumb drive with music and works just like the sd card. I often encountered instability with my previous mdi/ ipod setup so I'm in favour of using just a USB or sd card. As you say cheaper than a dedicated ipod.

steve2209
13-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi all, I started a thread a couple of days ago regarding the BMW Ipod Y cable and was going to discuss my success (or lack of) with it but now the post is closed and I can't get into it. Why is that?

Anyway, I will explain how I went in this post. I am picking up my new Golf 103TSI Highline tomorrow and I went to VW Camberwell to try out my Ipod Classic 160GB with the BMW Y cable (see below pic) and it worked perfectly except for one thing; you have to select your music off the Ipod itself. The song selections do not come up on the screen menu. My Ipod has all my music in Apple lossless so I get CD quality coming through and yes it will be a pain not being able to select my music on the go through the multi-media controls but it's better than nothing.

So if you want to be able to play your Ipod (regardless of type) then buy the BMW Ipod Y cable as that connects from the Ipod and splits in to a USB cable for powering and a 3.5mm Audio out cable in a neat small cable which allows you to store it in the cubby hole behind the gear stick.

What I'm going to do is create a bunch of playlists to suit my moods so I can select a playlist when I get in the car and don't have to worry about changing from one artist or album to another on the go. I hope this helps anyone who wants to connect their Ipod or Iphone to the stereo to play music whilst keeping their Ipod/Iphone charged.

Steve

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/41C2B7SbztnL_SY300_-1.jpg

readerr0r
13-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi all, I started a thread a couple of days ago regarding the BMW Ipod Y cable and was going to discuss my success (or lack of) with it but now the post is closed and I can't get into it. Why is that?

Anyway, I will explain how I went in this post. I am picking up my new Golf 103TSI Highline tomorrow and I went to VW Camberwell to try out my Ipod Classic 160GB with the BMW Y cable (see below pic) and it worked perfectly except for one thing; you have to select your music off the Ipod itself. The song selections do not come up on the screen menu. My Ipod has all my music in Apple lossless so I get CD quality coming through and yes it will be a pain not being able to select my music on the go through the multi-media controls but it's better than nothing.

So if you want to be able to play your Ipod (regardless of type) then buy the BMW Ipod Y cable as that connects from the Ipod and splits in to a USB cable for powering and a 3.5mm Audio out cable in a neat small cable which allows you to store it in the cubby hole behind the gear stick.

What I'm going to do is create a bunch of playlists to suit my moods so I can select a playlist when I get in the car and don't have to worry about changing from one artist or album to another on the go. I hope this helps anyone who wants to connect their Ipod or Iphone to the stereo to play music whilst keeping their Ipod/Iphone charged.

Steve

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/41C2B7SbztnL_SY300_-1.jpg

Just a normal retractable 3.5mm aux cable would have the same effect, just without charging is all.

stedes
13-03-2014, 12:49 PM

Hey mate. This is really interesting. I am wondering whether part no. 15, I.e. The cable connecting the interface to the media unit in the glovebox, is the same for The USB/Aux (no. 2) and the Media In interface (no.1). If it is then, without much fiddling, one could swap between them?

steve2209
13-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Yes you are correct there. But if you want charging as well you'll need the cable above. But I cannot express how disappointed I am that VW can't incorporate the song selections on to the screen. Many other manufacturers have it.

stedes
13-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Yes you are correct there. But if you want charging as well you'll need the cable above. But I cannot express how disappointed I am that VW can't incorporate the song selections on to the screen. Many other manufacturers have it.

Hi Steve. I understand your disapointment but I must disagree with you. You, in fact do not need the particular Y-cable. You can use your standard Apple USB to iPod cable to charge it and a separate 3.5mm mini-jack cable for the audio connection. There is no need for the Y cable from BMW or any other manufacturer.

Without knowing first hand, I suspect VW Australia chose to offer the USB/Aux-In interface instead of the Media-In for a number of reasons. I had a Media In interface some years ago in a Golf Mk5. Apart from needing a separate cable for each of your devices (iPod, USB etc), the cables were expensive and especially the Apple cable did not work with all devices properly (i.e. for me it did work with an iPod Classic but not my iPhone 3GS or 4). If you look at European fora at the moment, you will find that people are also having compatibility problems with the Mk7 Media-In interface and especially with the iPhone 5 and 5S needing newer versions of the cable etc. I know from first hand experience that BMW experienced similar problems with their USB interface in the E90 series when the iPhone 5 came out.

Also you need to remember that a lot of people don't have iPhones or iPods and for them the easiest way to connect a device is a (very cheap and ubiquitous) 3.5mm cable. Yes, you lose the ability to control the device on the touchscreen of the car but if that's really important to you then you can have that using an SD card instead. The SD card will also work faster. That way you also have the USB port free to charge your mobile phone and also take advantage of the inductive phone aerial that works in the little cubby in front of the gearshift knob. Failing that I'm sure that in a few months we will see someone will have swapped the USB/AuxIn interface with the Media In with not a lot of difficulty.

readerr0r
13-03-2014, 01:20 PM
The Y-cable is a much neater solution though, and its good to know if works for people wanting something more streamlined.

Don't forget that if your ipod has bluetooth you can connect it up for titles and play/pause/prev/next

Jimi
13-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Can you put playlists on the SD card? .m3u files or whatever they are?

steve2209
13-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Hi Steve. I understand your disapointment but I must disagree with you. You, in fact do not need the particular Y-cable. You can use your standard Apple USB to iPod cable to charge it and a separate 3.5mm mini-jack cable for the audio connection. There is no need for the Y cable from BMW or any other manufacturer.

Without knowing first hand, I suspect VW Australia chose to offer the USB/Aux-In interface instead of the Media-In for a number of reasons. I had a Media In interface some years ago in a Golf Mk5. Apart from needing a separate cable for each of your devices (iPod, USB etc), the cables were expensive and especially the Apple cable did not work with all devices properly (i.e. for me it did work with an iPod Classic but not my iPhone 3GS or 4). If you look at European fora at the moment, you will find that people are also having compatibility problems with the Mk7 Media-In interface and especially with the iPhone 5 and 5S needing newer versions of the cable etc. I know from first hand experience that BMW experienced similar problems with their USB interface in the E90 series when the iPhone 5 came out.

Also you need to remember that a lot of people don't have iPhones or iPods and for them the easiest way to connect a device is a (very cheap and ubiquitous) 3.5mm cable. Yes, you lose the ability to control the device on the touchscreen of the car but if that's really important to you then you can have that using an SD card instead. The SD card will also work faster. That way you also have the USB port free to charge your mobile phone and also take advantage of the inductive phone aerial that works in the little cubby in front of the gearshift knob. Failing that I'm sure that in a few months we will see someone will have swapped the USB/AuxIn interface with the Media In with not a lot of difficulty.

Thanks stedes. I'm coming from the perspective of a current BMW X3 with the premium sound package so I was expecting something similar. I'll play around with the SD card option when I pick the car up but I don't like the smaller capacity of the cards as I don't play compressed music so I need the space. I guess you can't have everything.

ihawk
13-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Can you put playlists on the SD card? .m3u files or whatever they are?

From what I can tell so far the system doesn't know what to do with any file that's not a music file. So m3u is a no. I've grouped songs into folders as a workaround

stedes
13-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks stedes. I'm coming from the perspective of a current BMW X3 with the premium sound package so I was expecting something similar. I'll play around with the SD card option when I pick the car up but I don't like the smaller capacity of the cards as I don't play compressed music so I need the space. I guess you can't have everything.

I understand your pain and when dealing with such premium brands one does expect to have everything.

Something that may be of interest although I'm not sure whether it applies here. I was looking around to find an online manual for the Discover Media system (which will be in my car when it arrives in May). Although I haven't found that, I was able to find a pdf of the owner's manual for the Skoda Amundsen system which looks like it is similar to the Discover (Columbus being similar to Discover Pro etc). The manual for the Amundsen clearly states the devices the USB input will recognise and also the file types the system will play...

So if this is indeed similar to the Discover Media then you should be able to have 1TB SD card with FLAC files on it. Thus solving your problem of lossless.

zardoz
13-03-2014, 11:31 PM
I have tested flac files on a Discover Media and confirm that it's a no go unfortunately. Confused as to why the USB volumes can't be NTFS yet the SD cards can. Have seen several reports of flac files working on the Discover Pro.. so perhaps it's a firmware thing with the particular unit I was testing.

AdamD
14-03-2014, 08:23 AM

Your thread was merged with this one, as the topic is broadly the same, and having many threads with similar/overlapping content makes it difficult for people to search and find content. Your post is here (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-ipod-compatibility-mdi-bluetooth-etc-87352-9.html#post1037728) (a couple of pages back), and a redirect remains in place on the Mk7 main page.

Alex31
14-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Has anybody done the ISO 7.1 update that just came out??
It has some carplay feature.
Wonder if this will give us full integration finally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stedes
14-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Has anybody done the ISO 7.1 update that just came out??
It has some carplay feature.
Wonder if this will give us full integration finally

Sorry mate. Looks like VW isn't one of the brands mentioned...

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

readerr0r
26-03-2014, 04:46 PM
When VW finally put the Discover Pro in the Golf 7, this is how it'll work...

I've just tested a Octavia RS with the Columbus/Discover Pro (standard) with an iPhone 4 plugged into the USB port using a normal 30-pin sync cable and it worked flawlessly. Album artwork, Apple Lossless (ALAC) support and full track selection (Playlists, Artists etc.). The smoothness of the system is phenomenal, none of the delays as with the old rns510 + MDI or the Discover Nav. Voice operation also works, fantastic system...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/13420300765_503bac47e6_o-1.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/mrUxRX)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/13420299335_2e498f1f75_o-1.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/mrUxri)

steve2209
27-03-2014, 10:13 AM
When VW finally put the Discover Pro in the Golf 7, this is how it'll work...

I've just tested a Octavia RS with the Columbus/Discover Pro (standard) with an iPhone 4 plugged into the USB port using a normal 30-pin sync cable and it worked flawlessly. Album artwork, Apple Lossless (ALAC) support and full track selection (Playlists, Artists etc.). The smoothness of the system is phenomenal, none of the delays as with the old rns510 + MDI or the Discover Nav. Voice operation also works, fantastic system...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/13420300765_503bac47e6_o-1.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/mrUxRX)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/13420299335_2e498f1f75_o-1.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/mrUxri)

OK, now I am really pissed. I picked up my car last week (103TSI Highline in black with all options) and I must admit I love it :) BUT..........this Discover Pro is exactly what I am looking for in functionality. Why doesn't VW at least make this optional on the Golf? I was doing ok until I saw this post. Such is life.........

Benmac
27-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Should have got a Skoda Elegance :)

"courtesy of iPhone using Tapatalk"

Brendan_A
27-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Why? I'll stick with my GTI thanks:

Benmac
27-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Then don't be "pissed". It is after all just a media system in an inherently compromised acoustic environment. Having said that it is a cruel joke that VW Australia decides to allow its lesser brand to carry the above when a GTI and also apparently the new Golf R cannot even spec it as an option in Australia.

readerr0r
27-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Then don't be "pissed". It is after all just a media system in an inherently compromised acoustic environment. Having said that it is a cruel joke that VW Australia decides to allow its lesser brand to carry the above when a GTI and also apparently the new Golf R cannot even spec it as an option in Australia.

Brendan_A wasn't the initial replier, steve2209 was. Not sure why Brendan_A felt like you were attacking his GTI purchase when you wern't talking to him?

scobb
27-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Just to rub salt in the wound (sorry) it IS an option for us Kiwis on the other side of the Tasman. Would love to hear an explanation of that sales logic!

neoexe
02-04-2014, 03:23 PM
wait... so is it a software issue (which getting a discovery pro might fix) or a hardware issue (the usb doesn't support it at all)?

kennyc
02-04-2014, 03:49 PM
I just think they will allow it in next years model and then led taillights in the model after that as a "new feature" for the MY15 and MY16 models.
If that is true then HOPEFULLY we will have the option to buy and fit in the MY14 model.

readerr0r
02-04-2014, 05:35 PM
wait... so is it a software issue (which getting a discovery pro might fix) or a hardware issue (the usb doesn't support it at all)?

The discover pro is a much more advanced unit and can do it without the aid of a MDI unit (which the older mk6 and discover nav in the mk7 need).

Brendan_A
03-04-2014, 01:48 PM
The discover pro is a much more advanced unit and can do it without the aid of a MDI unit (which the older mk6 and discover nav in the mk7 need).

It's such a good unit... But it still can't navigate to Tank St in Brisbane city??

readerr0r
03-04-2014, 04:52 PM
It's such a good unit... But it still can't navigate to Tank St in Brisbane city??

Picked it up as a one way street fine looking at the pic?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/13420419533_ea744fd098_o-1.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/mrVaaF)

Brendan_A
03-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Picked it up as a one way street fine looking at the pic?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/13420419533_ea744fd098_o-1.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/mrVaaF)

I got that to come up to, but it wouldn't navigate/calculate route to the street just like my discover media.

Brissienew
28-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Dumb question. If I want to play music from iPhone with music streaming services such as MOG/spotify it will be through Bluetooth? Can I access all the interface of MOG through the touch screen or just skipping song, backtracking etc?

Mountainman
28-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Just the skipping / backtracking.

wasabiz
01-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Would this work if I retrofit this myself on the discover media?

Multimedia socket MEDIA - IN VW Golf 7-40000 (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-7-5q/multimedia-socket-media-in-vw-golf-7)

readerr0r
01-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Would this work if I retrofit this myself on the discover media?

Multimedia socket MEDIA - IN VW Golf 7-40000 (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-7-5q/multimedia-socket-media-in-vw-golf-7)

Yes it should work fine with it, the kufatec system doesn't require VCDS either which is handy. Getting lightning MDI adapters can be expensive though.

There's an AU webstore for those guys too, not sure if it'll be cheaper or not.
Multimedia socket MEDIA - IN VW Golf 7-40000 (http://www.kufatec.com.au/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-7-5q/multimedia-socket-media-in-vw-golf-7)

Here are my notes on the different iphone MDI adapters and how they work, based on peoples experiences.
Blue Collar - 30 pin - Audio and selection (like Mk6/Polo MDI)
Red Collar - 30 pin - 4F0051510R, Video and Album artwork

White Collar - Lightning - Doesn’t work AVOID!
Green Collar - Lighting - 4F0051510AD

kennyc
01-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Hi Guys,

Plugged in my Android phone via USB so i can charge it and then my SD card sort of died. Couldn't play music from it anymore and kept showing an error message for the SD Card. Removed and connected the SD card again and still would not pick it up.
Is it possible to have a phone charging and listen to the music off the SD card at the same time? Or when you have the phone connected it disables the SD?

wasabiz
01-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi Guys,

Plugged in my Android phone via USB so i can charge it and then my SD card sort of died. Couldn't play music from it anymore and kept showing an error message for the SD Card. Removed and connected the SD card again and still would not pick it up.
Is it possible to have a phone charging and listen to the music off the SD card at the same time? Or when you have the phone connected it disables the SD?

Yes this is possible. I do it everyday. I plug my phone (iPhone 5) in to charge then I play my music off the SD card. I don't like to use the Bluetooth streaming because the album cover doesn't show.

pologti18t
01-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Hi Guys,

Plugged in my Android phone via USB so i can charge it and then my SD card sort of died

I had a similar problem with my new 208GTI. Plug Android phone in and the ICE would complain bitterly. It was to do with the USB network and Sync settings on the phone. Disabled those and all was fine with the world.

kennyc
01-05-2014, 07:26 PM
I had a similar problem with my new 208GTI. Plug Android phone in and the ICE would complain bitterly. It was to do with the USB network and Sync settings on the phone. Disabled those and all was fine with the world.

Yeah cheers, I just disabled the MTP on the USB settings on my Nexus 5 phone and it started working. Stupid that you can't have it switched on at the same time.

wasabiz
05-05-2014, 01:01 AM
I just realized that the USB does not charge my phone when I have Discover media turned off =/ is it only me or is this how the thing is supposed to operate?

readerr0r
05-05-2014, 07:00 AM
I just realized that the USB does not charge my phone when I have Discover media turned off =/ is it only me or is this how the thing is supposed to operate?

The USB port is plugged directly into the headunit so it makes sense I suppose. If you need to charge, perhaps just mute the unit instead?

wasabiz
05-05-2014, 09:11 AM
The USB port is plugged directly into the headunit so it makes sense I suppose. If you need to charge, perhaps just mute the unit instead?

Yep, that's what I do after figuring that out.

Static
10-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Yes it should work fine with it, the kufatec system doesn't require VCDS either which is handy. Getting lightning MDI adapters can be expensive though.

There's an AU webstore for those guys too, not sure if it'll be cheaper or not.
Multimedia socket MEDIA - IN VW Golf 7-40000 (http://www.kufatec.com.au/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-7-5q/multimedia-socket-media-in-vw-golf-7)

Here are my notes on the different iphone MDI adapters and how they work, based on peoples experiences.
Blue Collar - 30 pin - Audio and selection (like Mk6/Polo MDI)
Red Collar - 30 pin - 4F0051510R, Video and Album artwork

White Collar - Lightning - Doesn’t work AVOID!
Green Collar - Lighting - 4F0051510AD

Ok ... so if I understand this correctly ... this will allow me to connect an iPod Classic without having to have recoding done and if I get the Red Collar 30 cable it will show Album Artwork. Have I got that right?

Also where would this socket be connected located? Would the dealer fit this or do they avoid this stuff?

As the car doesn't arrive for about another week I can't have a look at it myself ... but I'm not technical so wouldn't be keen playing with cables under the dash.

Is there anyone in Brisbane who does this stuff? I'm happy to pay for it if the price is likely to be reasonable.

readerr0r
10-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Ok ... so if I understand this correctly ... this will allow me to connect an iPod Classic without having to have recoding done and if I get the Red Collar 30 cable it will show Album Artwork. Have I got that right?

Also where would this socket be connected located? Would the dealer fit this or do they avoid this stuff?

As the car doesn't arrive for about another week I can't have a look at it myself ... but I'm not technical so wouldn't be keen playing with cables under the dash.

Is there anyone in Brisbane who does this stuff? I'm happy to pay for it if the price is likely to be reasonable.

Doubt a dealer will want to do it because it isn't available on Golf's here and I imagine the dealer price/labour will be sky high. Its worth having a chat with audiupgrades.com.au, I've talked with him many a time and he's a smart guy and knows a lot about VAG retrofitting -he's at the sunshine coast.

As for the plugs, those are my notes from forums users in the UK so they should work but I can't guarantee it. I've chatted with Martin about the retrofit before (because I thought the Octavia needed it but they don't (https://flic.kr/p/mrUxRX)) and he knew that the red collar showed artwork for audi's.

From the factory the MDI socket sits where the USB/Aux plug is, not sure if the retrofit cable does the same.

anduril
10-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Just rang up the dealer about the USB MDI Cable for iPhone 5 on the Mk7 R and all I got told was "That is not released or available to Australia as far as I'm concerned. I'll find out more from VWA on Monday and keep you posted."

readerr0r
10-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Just rang up the dealer about the USB MDI Cable for iPhone 5 on the Mk7 R and all I got told was "That is not released or available to Australia as far as I'm concerned. I'll find out more from VWA on Monday and keep you posted."

Even if you had MDI, the MDI -> USB cable wouldn't work with the iphone. You'd have to use MDI -> Lightning.

anduril
10-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Even if you had MDI, the MDI -> USB cable wouldn't work with the iphone. You'd have to use MDI -> Lightning.

Sorry, what I meant was the USB > Lightning cable that would work like the MDI cable. Am I making sense lol?

readerr0r
10-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Sorry, what I meant was the USB > Lightning cable that would work like the MDI cable. Am I making sense lol?

The Golf 7 doesn't come with MDI at all in Aus, and iPhones are incompatible with the standard USB port fitted.

anduril
11-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Hmm I get it now.. I was looking at this (GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum - View Single Post - Iphone 5s mdi cable (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16191&postcount=33)) and thought someone found a USB > Lightning cable that can work like a MDI cable..

What about this, has anyone seen or tried?

readerr0r
11-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Hmm I get it now.. I was looking at this (GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum - View Single Post - Iphone 5s mdi cable (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16191&postcount=33)) and thought someone found a USB > Lightning cable that can work like a MDI cable..

What about this, has anyone seen or tried?

I was talking about that a page ago...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-ipod-compatibility-mdi-bluetooth-etc-87352-post1052647.html#post1052647

Josh1403
25-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Hi does anyone know how to display the artwork on the media unit via an iPhone 5 also with playlists?
cheers! :)

AdamD
25-05-2014, 12:19 PM
See these threads:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-ipod-compatibility-mdi-bluetooth-etc-87352.html
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/album-artwork-usb-sd-96462.html
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/multimedia-unit-radio-station-logos-album-art-87734.html

Josh1403
25-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Thanks Adam, I've tried the sd card as recommended, copied straight fro
iTunes but it still doesn't cone up, am I missing something? Also there is only 1 radio station icon (kiss fm) which is on the today fm station- do you know how to change it around? Cheers

slashj
06-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks Adam, I've tried the sd card as recommended, copied straight fro
iTunes but it still doesn't cone up, am I missing something? Also there is only 1 radio station icon (kiss fm) which is on the today fm station- do you know how to change it around? Cheers

Have a look at this:
VW Golf Mk7 – SD Cards and Album Art | Haydn Williams Blog (http://tinyurl.com/kr9fmrq)

I followed the steps and got it working.
One thing - I found that formatting the SD card with exFat didn't work, but it worked nicely with normal FAT format. I have a Mac.

Good lucky!

PBJ
13-08-2014, 07:35 AM
From the Golf GTi/GTiPerf/R brochure...

USB charge cables, adaptor cables supporting connection to Apple lightning, Apple 30 pin and mini USB
$88 from a VW dealer, makes the iPod/iPhone work via USB

hainsey
13-08-2014, 10:17 AM

Does it show album artwork and info, can you control through steering wheel??

dening
27-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Does anyone have one of these?

I cant find any mention of the part no. anywhere on vw accessory lists, only the MDI cables.

Happy to spend $88 to get functionality like the mdi in my old polo, even of it doesn't have artwork. It's better than the 300 plus to get MDI installed.

kreuze
27-08-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm having some issues with Spotify on Android via bluetooth. Inconsistently displaying album art and tracklist information. Playback working fine.

Anyone in the same boat?

wasabiz
27-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Does anyone have one of these?

I cant find any mention of the part no. anywhere on vw accessory lists, only the MDI cables.

Happy to spend $88 to get functionality like the mdi in my old polo, even of it doesn't have artwork. It's better than the 300 plus to get MDI installed.

The golf isn't equipped with MDI, you gotta have them retrofitted and coding done if you want them. Why is it not available... We could only wonder.

dening
30-08-2014, 11:25 AM
The golf isn't equipped with MDI, you gotta have them retrofitted and coding done if you want them. Why is it not available... We could only wonder.
Yeah I know, it was frustrating when I looked for where to plug my mdi cable in and discovered it wasn't there.

People just love bluetooth so I think that's why they figured to trim a few bucks out.

zardoz
31-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Potentially slightly off-topic; has anyone run portable hard drives and can advise on what partitioning scheme and filesystem to use? I've tried exFAT under Windows 8 and no success there -claims USB device is unrecognised.

zardoz
31-08-2014, 11:12 PM

This is a "charge" cable, not a data cable.

irossiter
02-09-2014, 06:09 PM
It is most certainly NOT a data cable. My dealer even tried one out for me when I picked up my car he didn't want me paying $88 for a charge cable. VW were claiming it was a Mk 7 data cable. You already have a charge cable with an iPhone. Just unplug the cable from the charger unit in the wall and plug it into the car in the centre console. I still find the lack of data cable / MDI astonishing in the Mk 7. It was great in the Mk 6. My Merc had one and even our Mazda CX5 has one!

dening
02-09-2014, 10:09 PM
It is most certainly NOT a data cable. My dealer even tried one out for me when I picked up my car he didn't want me paying $88 for a charge cable. VW were claiming it was a Mk 7 data cable. You already have a charge cable with an iPhone. Just unplug the cable from the charger unit in the wall and plug it into the car in the centre console. I still find the lack of data cable / MDI astonishing in the Mk 7. It was great in the Mk 6. My Merc had one and even our Mazda CX5 has one!

Well that puts that to rest.

I'm using a bmw y cable just to have something compact ish for my 160gb ipod.

Llex
25-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Hi all,

I will have an GTi Mk7 in roughly 4 to 6 months (ugh production times). I was blown away with how it drives and couldn't not be happier. However, the only thing I was disappointed about was the inability to connect an iPod with full functionality on-screen.

My question is simple: What is the best way to store music with this basic option not included in a $50k+ car? I have playlists set up on iTunes, so it would be awesome if I could have the ability to keep those somehow.

I realise you can connect phones and newer iPod's/iTouches via bluetooth, but that isn't an option as I want to be able to control the music from the screen and not the device.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as i'm kind of a newbie when it comes to this stuff :facepalm:

regards

Llex

pologti18t
27-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Hi all,
I realise you can connect phones and newer iPod's/iTouches via bluetooth, but that isn't an option as I want to be able to control the music from the screen and not the device.

Llex

Bluetooth music streaming can be controlled from the headunit.

adhock
28-09-2014, 08:40 PM
What is the best way to store music with this basic option not included in a $50k+ car?

Big W, $60 for a 64 Gb SD card from Emtec, speed OK, quality of card OK. Pour all the music in folder by folder, thumbnails at 220x220 I'm told, stick it SD slot 2 in the glovebox (this is for a Highline with GPS). If you're OS x based (I'm dual nationality :)), figure out how to get rid of the dot files. Works just like the iPod did on the Mk6 Golf, but you now have a surplus iPod probably :(. Playlists I can't help with.

Guy
10-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Anyone still having bluetooth issues with the new iphones?

pepito
10-11-2014, 08:05 PM

I assume you mean this?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/11/c8ad8aa638b74203aaaee925e3890388-1.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/pepitovfr/media/c8ad8aa6-38b7-4203-aaae-e925e3890388.jpg.html)

I've given up and using SD card.

ZMan
11-11-2014, 04:08 PM

My iPhone 6 connects fine every time. Haven't tried it with a 6+ though.

simonjohnhead
25-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Pick up my R Line Golf in 2 weeks, I want to get some music sorted on an SD card ready.

Anyone had any success with album art? Is the iTunes style coverflow available on our Aus delivered units or is it just something that works on the larger 8" European ones?

Roary
05-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Hi All,

I have a GTI PP and I'm having an annoying issue with the order the music is being played through an iPod Nano (connected via Bluetooth). First world problems, I know.....

When I select a playlist. I want the songs within that playlist to shuffle however I can never seem to get it to do that. It will only ever play songs in album order. I don't want to listen to a whole album at once.

I've tried selecting the shuffle button on the iPod, and then the pressing the shuffle button on the display screen - no luck. Not sure if one cancels out the other??
I've tried selecting the shuffle button on the iPod only and not selecting shuffle on the display screen - no luck
I've tried selecting the shuffle button on the display screen only and not on the iPod - still no luck
Have tried restoring the iPod and re-adding all the music, then trying all of the above again - no luck and getting frustrated.

I have no idea if it is an iPod, VW, or user issue..... is it quite possible that I simply cannot shuffle all the songs in a playlist?

Has anyone else noticed this problem?
I know there is a sticky on the iPod compatibility but that seems to be more related to getting album artwork to display (not interested) or finding a way to install an MDI, hence why I have created a new post.

Thankyou

mui_michael
05-12-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't know if I got lucky or what but my mate had the same issue with his 7R and I did the following and worked...

Turn both shuffle off, un-link the device, turn Bluetooth off, shut down your device, turn the car off, count to 12, turn vehicle back on, turn device back on and start the linking/sync as if it was your first time.

It should work but if not just take it back to the dealers to upgrade your system. Hope it helps mate.

Roary
06-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for that!
i'll give it a go..... Might also turn around five times, touch my nose, and do a rain dance. Hopefully something will do the trick.

GolfVII
31-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Big W, $60 for a 64 Gb SD card from Emtec, speed OK, quality of card OK. Pour all the music in folder by folder, thumbnails at 220x220 I'm told, stick it SD slot 2 in the glovebox (this is for a Highline with GPS). If you're OS x based (I'm dual nationality :)), figure out how to get rid of the dot files. Works just like the iPod did on the Mk6 Golf, but you now have a surplus iPod probably :(. Playlists I can't help with.

On OS X just use iTunes to export your music to the SD card and you will not get the dot files. I made a play list and exported that play list with all the songs the first time, I have since purchased a SD card reader for my Windows box and now do it all from there as windows system files are always hidden and do not appear on the head unit like the Mac files do.

AdamD
01-01-2015, 12:59 PM
On OS X just use iTunes to export your music to the SD card and you will not get the dot files.

Not true; the "dot" files are a factor of the operating system (OS X) and file indexing strategy on the Mac. OS X won't write them for every file or on every occasion, but it will when it deems it necessary.

I create playlists and transfer music to an SD card from my Mac using iTunes, and just wrote a quick shell script to delete the "dot" files before ejecting the SD card. If anyone wants the details I'm happy to post them.

cheapasiangeo
06-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Not sure how accurate this information is but... ​Apple CarPlay And Android Auto Coming To Volkswagens This Year (http://jalopnik.com/apple-carplay-and-android-auto-coming-to-volkswagens-t-1677675567)

Carplay!!!!!!!

PBJ
04-02-2015, 11:21 AM
I don't get how people are happy with Bluetooth streaming? The quality is woeful compared to a USB, 3.5mm or SD card. Then again the factory stereo in the Golf 7 is woeful as well...

Sucks that they can't offer us even a paid option to get iPod connectivity.

Moonee
07-02-2015, 10:28 AM
I don't get how people are happy with Bluetooth streaming? The quality is woeful compared to a USB, 3.5mm or SD card.

Interesting comment. I haven't noticed a downgrade of audio quality Bluetooth streaming music from my iPhone compared to playing from SD card. Both sound great.

Then again the factory stereo in the Golf 7 is woeful as well...

We mustn't be very audio fussy, very happy with the sound quality of the factory stereo in our standard GTI.

PBJ
10-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Interesting comment. I haven't noticed a downgrade of audio quality Bluetooth streaming music from my iPhone compared to playing from SD card. Both sound great.

Well it all depends on the source quality. If your music is of the lossless compression type (eg CDs/FLAC/ALAC etc) then you'd definitely notice a difference compared to 128kbps off iTunes. Course since BT audio is above 128, theoretically it should sound the same no matter which input you use :)

We mustn't be very audio fussy, very happy with the sound quality of the factory stereo in our standard GTI.
Oh don't get me wrong, it's far from terrible. It's just sad that VW won't let customers pay to get the upgraded sound system like in the Mk VI due to simplifying the product or whatever. Actually I'm just melodramatic :P

Ralfi
18-02-2015, 05:59 AM
I was given the impression by a dealer that the GTI model's USB port both charges & passes through audio. Could this be for newer builds only?

I found this out after I requested the charge cables - dealer said they're not needed as the port does everything through USB.....

cheapasiangeo
18-02-2015, 08:10 AM
I was given the impression by a dealer that the GTI model's USB port both charges & passes through audio. Could this be for newer builds only?

I found this out after I requested the charge cables - dealer said they're not needed as the port does everything through USB.....

AFAIK its power only, no data.

pbrowne
19-02-2015, 07:28 AM
I decided for music that I would put my entire music library on an SD card. To do so I rearranged my library by genre, then artist, then album. I also added my playlists from iTunes as text filed in the root of the SD card. This setup now works well and can also shuffle tunes well. Here's the instruction from another forum that I followed:

It is possible to do, but a little involved. What I'm explaining below has been done from memory, but should give you a start.

I also use iTunes on a Windows PC, and already had some playlists created within iTunes.

On my PC my music was in d:/iPod music/artist name/album name/song name.mp3

I copied all the folders from my PC to the SD card with everything except the /iPod music/ folder level. So, on my SD card the folders were artist name/album name/song name.mp3

From iTunes, I exported the required playlists which created a .m3u file which I then had to edit in notepad to remove all the d:/iPod music/ text from the start of each line within the .m3u file

The edited .m3u file was then copied to the root of the SD card (it can't be put in a folder)

The car should be able to read the .m3u file and pick up the required fields from the folders on the SD card.

There was a little trial and error getting the right format, but it worked in the end. For it to work, the folder structure on the PC and SD card does need to be quite similar.

Ralfi
24-02-2015, 04:15 PM
AFAIK its power only, no data.

That's disappointing.

I just had my work van changed over (Toyota Hiace), & it's USB is both power/data. The tracks even appear on screen & you can navigate through the 'folders' on the iphone using the steering wheel controls....

VW need to catch up in this department. Music's a big thing & makes the whole driving experience complete for many. Easily accessing your music on any device should be standard on high-end vehicles like the GTI by now........

aek
04-03-2015, 12:37 PM
That's disappointing.

I just had my work van changed over (Toyota Hiace), & it's USB is both power/data. The tracks even appear on screen & you can navigate through the 'folders' on the iphone using the steering wheel controls....

VW need to catch up in this department. Music's a big thing & makes the whole driving experience complete for many. Easily accessing your music on any device should be standard on high-end vehicles like the GTI by now........
I don't have iPhone/iPod, but the I can access music files on USB drive via the port, so it's not power only. Track details appear on the screen and on the dash. I have not tried track with music art, so can't comment.

Jimi
04-03-2015, 03:24 PM
It is 'power only' as far as a phone is concerned though. You can't interact with songs and playlists stored on an iphone or android unless streaming via bluetooth.

Moonee
04-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Discovered a little disappointing thing today. If you initiate a call on your phone (iphone here) even though it's connected to the car's bluetooth you cannot hangup from the steering wheel.

So if you start a call while sitting in your driveway you can't hang up without taking your hands off the wheel once you're on the road.

Ralfi
06-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Discovered a little disappointing thing today. If you initiate a call on your phone (iphone here) even though it's connected to the car's bluetooth you cannot hangup from the steering wheel.

So if you start a call while sitting in your driveway you can't hang up without taking your hands off the wheel once you're on the road.

What a blunder. Gotto wait until the other person hangs up. So technically, it's illegal to hung up the phone in your car. :)

With your Apple device connected via BT, can you use Siri to initiate commands? Or do you need to have it connected to the USB whilst connected via BT & say "Hey Siri" for it to work? If so, that's fine - the VW voice command Option costs a bit & adds time to the delivery i'm told.

Does anyone have the Voice Command feature in their GTI? Does it work well?

Oops wrong thread for that last comment...........

Jimi
06-03-2015, 10:08 AM
You can still legally hang up as there is a button on the centre screen, but as Moonee suggests you can't do it without taking your hands off the wheel.

PBJ
07-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Tried this today in a dealer, works just fine with my iPhone 6 using the button on the wheel?

blameturner
10-03-2015, 10:53 AM

You can. If you start the call from your iphone, mid call just hit the Phone icon on your wheel, it'll bring up the Phone screen automatically on the MFD. From there it is like you've dialled from the in-car system.

I discovered it by chance, I was trying to see what the point of that button even was.

Moonee
14-03-2015, 03:47 PM
You can. If you start the call from your iphone, mid call just hit the Phone icon on your wheel, it'll bring up the Phone screen automatically on the MFD. From there it is like you've dialled from the in-car system.

I discovered it by chance, I was trying to see what the point of that button even was.

Thanks guys, yes that does work!

blameturner
15-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys, yes that does work!

Glad I could help :)

Ralfi
07-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Not sure how accurate this information is but... ​Apple CarPlay And Android Auto Coming To Volkswagens This Year (http://jalopnik.com/apple-carplay-and-android-auto-coming-to-volkswagens-t-1677675567)

Carplay!!!!!!!

I really want CarPlay!!!

Is this a software update or would the whole head-unit need need to be replaced?

spikeyboy22
07-05-2015, 11:35 PM
I really want CarPlay!!!

Is this a software update or would the whole head-unit need need to be replaced?

It has just been released that Canada and UK get mirror link which is car play with my16, we will not know until cars hit the lots here.

Jimi
07-05-2015, 11:54 PM
There is a new Discover Media/nav too but I'm praying they make it possible to use car net or mirror link on our existing MY14 cars etc with just a software update

wasabiz
08-05-2015, 12:06 AM
we humans can only hope

Moonee
27-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Anybody else using Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation on iPhone6 ?

Works ok except the navigation voice causes the dash display to show an incoming call from your own number.

I'm waiting to see what happens when/if I get an incoming call while Google Maps is saying something :)

Wolves1877
09-06-2015, 03:12 PM
So if I'm understanding this all correctly, I'll need to copy all of the tracks from my iPod Classic to an SD Card if I want the same functionality as I currently have with the iPod in the Polo? :facepalm: And I though the RNS510 system in the Polo was bad?

If this is correct, anyone know how to convert 8,000 tracks to MP3 without having to create duplicate files in iTunes?

Paul_R
14-07-2015, 09:11 AM
And if I've got this right, with this new fangled iTunes Music thingy, copying music to an SD card is no longer possible (my current method from iTunes) and I have to keep 'off-line' songs on my iPhone and Bluetooth them to the car? I'll get one of my kids to do it for me...

GolfVII
14-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Those using iTunes try these:

1. Back Up in .mp3 format (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3075435?tstart=0)

2. Back up your iTunes library by copying it to an external drive (https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201625)

It worked for me. :bannana_guitar:

SIRIoz
13-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Does anyone know what version of bluethooth comes with MIBII?

Ralfi
17-09-2015, 10:13 PM

3407 According to the System Information.

RMBB
18-09-2015, 11:42 AM

Hey SIRIoz, I'm guessing you're after the Version Number e.g. Bluetooth v2.1 or Bluetooth v4.0 etc.
Sadly I cannot find anything about it on the web, even tried finding documentation to see if CarPlay requires a certain version. I can although find the new iPhone 6S uses Bluetooth v4.2 and the iPhone 4S, 5, 5S & 6 has v4.0
However, CarPlay is only compatible with iPhone 5 and above. There is a claim stating it needed the extra ability of the Lightening (cable) connection to run CarPlay. I have found articles that state the iPhone 4S will support the wireless CarPlay, not 100% sure the iPhone 4S will support CarPlay on iOS 9 though.

My point is, that to support CarPlay it might require Bluetooth Version 4.0 as a minimum, thus MIBII would have BT v4.0.

Also I have read the new MIBII system can do 2 paired Bluetooth phones at the same time! (might be one for music and one for phone at the same time, can't find much about that either).

3407 According to the System Information.

Thanks Ralfi, I'm guessing 3407 is likely their internal version numbers. Although I'd love to think they are using the latest Bluetooth v4.0 standard or at least v3.0 and not v2.1. Bluetooth v4.0 has been around since 2009 and first introduced with the iPhone 4S. iPhone 4's used Bluetooth V2.1 + EDR.

If anyone has a way of identifying the Bluetooth Version the new MIBII (CarPlay enabled version) has I'd love to know! Still waiting for my car so I can't test anything.

Two things,
1. Can anyone confirm what Bluetooth Version (e.g. v4.0, v3.0, v2.1) the MIBII systems are using?
2. Can anyone shed anymore light on the 2 Bluetooth devices connected at the same time?

SIRIoz
18-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks Ralfi and RMBB. Yes after BT version

Ralfi
18-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Hey SIRIoz
Two things,
1. Can anyone confirm what Bluetooth Version (e.g. v4.0, v3.0, v2.1) the MIBII systems are using?
2. Can anyone shed anymore light on the 2 Bluetooth devices connected at the same time?

1. ???

2. Yep, as per manual, 2 can be connected at the one time. I've successfully connected both a Samsung S4 Mini & iPhone 5.

carbonester
22-05-2016, 12:08 PM
I was at my local VW dealer playing with the radios in the MY 16 R line and alltrack (I couldn't find the R) and noticed that you can "disconnect" car play on the radio. When disconnected you can browse the music on the iPhone through the touch screen in a similar way to navigating a SD card. I don't have my car yet so I can't be sure but I assume that this means you can browse the iPod through the display in the dash cluster.

This is only worked with my iPhone 6. The radio did not recognise my 4S which leads me to believe you need a lightning cable. Which makes me wonder if I can use my iPod with the lightning port instead of an iPhone.

Has anyone else tried connecting an iPod with the Lightning connector to the radio?

Edit: I have now had the car for a few weeks and can confirm that USB works if you use an iPod with a lightning port. However I like using carplay for maps and messaging so my iPod will spend its time charging in the boot and I will select songs via bluetooth.