PDA

View Full Version : New Day, New 6n1 for the fleet. Problems however

pontiff
23-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Hey all,

Its a new day, so of course I have added another 6n1 to the fleet.. This one is quite rough but hey... I can hopefully bring it up to snuff to give away,

Problems however include

1) AC does not work, when turning AC on the engine fan does not kick in and the AC relay does not click, and as a consequence, the AC compressor does not activate. If it were low on gas (not sure of this) I should still hear the relay click I would have thought? and I would have thought the fan would have activated none the less?

2) Heater only works when you rev the car and drive.. if you sit idle the temp cools right off. I will pull off the heater hoses tomorrow and flush it with cold water but I am suspecting dodgy water pump?

As for the A/C not coming on and running the fan, I have changed the fan resister (in the 'update' 6n1's its on the passenger side behind the bumper) but it doesn't make a difference.

anyone seen the same? once I figure them out I will report back none the less.

Cheers,
Aaron

Jmac
25-06-2013, 04:50 PM
If the gas is low it won't kick in mate, check to see how much gas it actually has first before getting too heavy into wiring . The coolant you might find heater core either blocked or possibly leaking , common for these to be leaking, is coolant level good? Check carpet anyway. Some of the water pumps were plastic but generally when it cracks the engine overheats. Back to the carpet sorry just check especially passenger side.
Let us know how u go I got diagrams etc if stuck
Cheers
Jmac

pontiff
26-06-2013, 02:30 PM
If the gas is low it won't kick in mate, check to see how much gas it actually has first before getting too heavy into wiring . The coolant you might find heater core either blocked or possibly leaking , common for these to be leaking, is coolant level good? Check carpet anyway. Some of the water pumps were plastic but generally when it cracks the engine overheats. Back to the carpet sorry just check especially passenger side.
Let us know how u go I got diagrams etc if stuck
Cheers
Jmac

Thanks for that, I am thinking partially blocked heater core at the moment, as it is not leaking onto the carpet.

Is there a way for the layman to check how much gas is in it? vag-com didnt have anything and i dont think it had a test to activate the compressor.

temp is good. does not move :)