PDA

View Full Version : WTB OLD VW BEETLE. but ned info

mitch750
16-06-2013, 10:55 PM
So i'm thinking about selling my OBD2 vr6 and buying a beetle :) always liked them but never really had the funds.

But i see so many different types and prices!! some on gumtree have fully rebuild engines asking 3K and some dont have engines and are like 8k... so im guessing there is something to do with the models and years and rarity.

I was wondering if i could ask everyone the details of most models and how much i should be looking at paying...

i'll be able to afford a bug around the 3.5-4k mark.

so i dont want to jump straight into it buy a 2k bug and then want a different model the next week!

Mainly i want the car to be mechanically 'good'...(good england...)

If you can be bothered add me some info or sites or a different thread.. anything will help. Im in the middle of exams and will be looking to buy around mid july :))))))

Mitch

bizarre
17-06-2013, 02:45 PM
come over and have a chat in www.aussieveedubber.com

basically - the older the dearer

Up to 1956 you are talking oval and splits
Up to 1967 you are talking 6V early style
Up to 1971 you are talking 12V late style
Up to 1975 you are talking super beetles

For the money you are talking you will get yourself a good super.
Supers make better daily drivers.
Stuff like -
disc brakes
seat belts
indicators
1600 motor
collapsable seering column
high back seats

Barry

mitch750
18-06-2013, 12:59 AM
thanks barry thats the exact information i was looking for!

i've been looking around and i really like the 58-67 models! Although the ones ive found are mostly around the $5000, i still prefer them! will just have to muster up some more money!

mk1ster
23-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I have been wondering the same Mitch, glad someone asked! been looking at the beetles to, just not sure which one i want.

Surfpig
25-06-2013, 10:37 PM
VW Volkswagen Beetle Type 1 RAT BUG | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171059210261?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649)

you want this one ;)

wai
26-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Mechanical issues are relatively straightforward as they can be fixed. What you need to check out is the body for rust.

An area that can slip by in an inspection is the base of the A pillar. Warm air is channelled from the engine to demist the windscreen through the sills, up through the A pillars and then to the windscreen. The problem is that if the windscreen rubbers fail, then water can drip down the A pillar. There is no drain until it rusts through. It doesn't take much to check it. Just a gentle press will do, but if it slips by during an inspection it can be expensive to fix.