PDA

View Full Version : Mk5 fog lights as drl?

audi-tone
13-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Is it possible to have the fogs as drl's?
I know its sometime's frowned upon but I've seen a few gti's running them.

Hillbilly
13-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Is it possible to have the fogs as drl's?
I know its sometime's frowned upon but I've seen a few gti's running them.

Using fogs is illegal unless weather is inclement Not that anyone takes any notice.

Deadpool
13-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Using fogs is illegal unless weather is inclement Not that anyone takes any notice.

I believe there is a way around that law by using LED Bulbs in the Fog Lights. I've seen a GTD driving around with LED Fog Lights for most of this year and he said he's been pulled over many a time and never even talked to about his fog lights.

To answer the OP, yes you can VAGCOM it so that the Fog Lights are always on while the car is running. There's a setting for them to act a DRL, but it escapes me right now. I hate people using their Fogs (Halogen) during the day as it's just too bright and looks like ****e. Get some LED bulbs if you're really considering it. To make them easy on the eyes, but to also make you stand out/be identifiable.

audi-tone
14-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Ill look into led bulbs then.
I'm guessing you'd need new les lights hey? Unless the bulbs are changeable to led?
Cheers.

brimway
14-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Ill look into led bulbs then.
I'm guessing you'd need new les lights hey? Unless the bulbs are changeable to led?
Cheers.

You can buy HB4 LED globes and code the fogs to act as DRLs. So you would not be able to switch them off in the usual way. You can also adjust the brightness via VCDS.

audi-tone
14-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Great. Now to find some bulbs and how to code them in.

brimway
14-06-2013, 03:38 PM
When you get the bulbs, I've got a cable you can use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audi-tone
14-06-2013, 04:32 PM
I've gotta cable at the moment. Just the coding I need!
Thanks for offer though.

greg32
15-06-2013, 10:30 PM
The fogs can be set as DRLs using VCDS and the intensity can be dimmed so they are not full brightness. I set mine to 50% although I am considering taking them to 40% to see if they are still OK. I think the module you need to code is the CECM. There is a reasonable difference and it is obvious they are not operating as fogs when dimmed. They work until the normal lights switch on when the daylight gets too dim, then the headlights switch on and turn off the "DRLs" at the same time.

harlie
16-06-2013, 09:28 AM

This is true, HOWEVER if the DRL function is operating at a dimmed level they are no longer fog lights, they are DRLs. set mine at 30%

audi-tone
16-06-2013, 12:51 PM
That's also good to know.
I have tries coding them before but it came up with an error saying it wasn't sure if it was going to work. I cancelled at this point because I didn't want to stuff anything up.
Ill do it again later and show the screenshot I get.

Cheers.

audi-tone
16-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Ok so I've tried different things in vcds but whatever I put in it shows this text. (I've got the led bulbs on the way but wanted to try the fogs at a dimmed value)

This appears to be an uninitialised control module;
Valid wsc/importer/equipment data may be required.

Click yes for vcds to use default values of 12345/123/12345.
Click no for vcds to try the values currently in the module.
Click cancel to go back and manually edit the values.

What do I do? I don't want to do something that I shouldn't

Cheers.

Buckets
16-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Click yes. What VAGCOM does is put generic codes into the fields reserved for workshop/importer/equipment which does NOT affect the module operation.

audi-tone
16-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Great. Thanks!