PDA

View Full Version : 2nd VW - an UP!

85Fuego
10-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Hello all,

Been many years since visiting - my Golf diesel with dsg has been performing well - no outstanding issues.
To that end bought an UP! (3 door) for the daughter to drive around in.

As has been said by others, for a city car - excellent.
Obviously built to a budget and so, has no comparison with Polo, Golf etc.

No torque, however, once past 2500 rpm on the freeway will go WAAY past the legal limit.
Has NO trouble keeping up with traffic, well insulated in regards to wind noise, not so to mechanical - needs more sound insulation.

Excellent fuel economy if you're into that.
I fill with 98 and get over 600+ k to the tank driven normally ie not a maniac.

One issue - most overseas owners say it has an 'audible' gearbox.
I agree - you hear the clutch disengaging.
Cars of a similar age in the dealership make the same noise, so it may be typical.
I keep cars for years - so replaced gear oil at first service.
Was told the usual - sealed for life.
Yeah right - do as I ask.

My question is who has info on the gear oil?
Parts number is: VW G052527A2
Was charged over $85/L !!!
Obviously developed with NASA in mind.
What is SO special about this oil?
US parts places have it listed at mid $30's

No use having fixed price servicing if they rip you off blind elsewhere.

Enough of rant/report - will go to my local independant.

David

Hillbilly
10-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Hello all,

Been many years since visiting - my Golf diesel with dsg has been performing well - no outstanding issues.
To that end bought an UP! (3 door) for the daughter to drive around in.

As has been said by others, for a city car - excellent.
Obviously built to a budget and so, has no comparison with Polo, Golf etc.

No torque, however, once past 2500 rpm on the freeway will go WAAY past the legal limit.
Has NO trouble keeping up with traffic, well insulated in regards to wind noise, not so to mechanical - needs more sound insulation.

Excellent fuel economy if you're into that.
I fill with 98 and get over 600+ k to the tank driven normally ie not a maniac.

One issue - most overseas owners say it has an 'audible' gearbox.
I agree - you hear the clutch disengaging.
Cars of a similar age in the dealership make the same noise, so it may be typical.
I keep cars for years - so replaced gear oil at first service.
Was told the usual - sealed for life.
Yeah right - do as I ask.

My question is who has info on the gear oil?
Parts number is: VW G052527A2
Was charged over $85/L !!!
Obviously developed with NASA in mind.
What is SO special about this oil?
US parts places have it listed at mid $30's

No use having fixed price servicing if they rip you off blind elsewhere.

Enough of rant/report - will go to my local independant.

David

If the manual says dont change the gear oil why do it. Do you know more than the makers.

Oils have changed a lot is the recent past and so have gearboxes (maybe not for the better in some cases)

However I had a Toyota that had a "sealed for life" auto but was recommended to check it after 100,000k

I towed a van for 50,000k and had the oil changed at 140,000k.

Oil was still reasonably clean and not burnt so didnt really need doing even then.

Mine will get done according to the book and not earlier.

85Fuego
10-06-2013, 06:18 PM
...Do you know more than the makers...
Ahh the joys of public forums.
You have to accept the fact people will always 'advise' what should have been done, instead of answering the question.
You're always having to justifying yourself.
I'd rather have a late fail of anything, than early or expected fail.

...If the manual says dont change the gear oil why do it...
This is true but, as on other marque forums, the question is often raised, whose lifetime?
Cars expected lifetime?
Gearbox lifetime?
Actual lifetime of the vehicle?
Have done lots of preventative maintenance and have seen gearboxes/diffs/engines give off copious amounts of shavings WELL before due service intervals.
Tranny's cook oils - service departments put in wrong oils, there are myriads of ways for them to fail.
Service intervals are now influenced by emissions/service expectations not for the betterment of the vehicle or the poor schmuck who pays for the service
Once warranty expires, how many manufacturers are on YOUR side?
Don't want to appear to be bashing the marque, but why were they one of the LAST to introduce capped servicing?

Oils have changed a lot is the recent past
Thus my question, why the stupid cost? If it was a vastly improved API-GL4 or 5 oil then you'd do the change with synthetic at $10/L and have no qualms.
But to use only oil available only from the manufacturer itself at exorbitant prices reeks of monopoly.

VWindahouse
11-06-2013, 12:39 PM
If the manual says dont change the gear oil why do it. Do you know more than the makers.

Oils have changed a lot is the recent past and so have gearboxes (maybe not for the better in some cases)

However I had a Toyota that had a "sealed for life" auto but was recommended to check it after 100,000k

I towed a van for 50,000k and had the oil changed at 140,000k.

Oil was still reasonably clean and not burnt so didnt really need doing even then.

Mine will get done according to the book and not earlier.

Most Polo GTI's 9n3's had many gear box issues from factory. Gears crunching and or not engaging, noisy etc. Took VW Australia ages to figure out the factory was only half filling the gearbox with oil (not before they denied an issue of course):facepalm:

But when the dealerships filled it completely with OEM oil the issues mostly diminished but not 100% so most of us under instruction of the forum's most knowledgeable VAG Tech Jmac filled the box with Redline MTL.....prestow, no more issues even with heavy track and drag use :banana:

Change the oil!!!

EvoBlitz
18-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Good to hear she's enjoying it.

Regarding the noise, Ive noticed it as well, but all it requires is slightly softer and gentler engage/disengagement.

Ernz1981
19-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Mine also has the 'audible' gearbox.....but have accepted it as the vehicle is built to a price. Hence have lowered my expectations.

Might be an idea change the gearbox oil when the clutch gives way....you'll have to change the input shaft seal/bearing etc