PDA

View Full Version : Headlight, DRL's and globes

stat71
10-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Hi all, I am about to take delivery of a Mk 7 Highline. I test drove the golf 3 times with one of those being late dusk. I was really unimpressed with the light thrown from the headlights. The light was the classic orange tinted and lacked intensity. Obviously the solution would be to wait and opt in the Bi-xenon but they still cannot give me a date of availability. I'm not convinced I need Bi-xenon either at 2k plus!

So what are my options with changing out the globes after delivery? Will changing out the globes void any warranties?

Thanks in anticipation.

team_v
10-06-2013, 08:22 AM
you could change to a higher output globe that tends to be whiter.
Shouldn't be an issue for warranty if you do your research as to what is withint tee tollerance limits so you don't burn out your bulb housing.

It is what i did instead of a 2.5k Bi-Xenon upgrade.....

stat71
10-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks. I've been researching doing the change out of the bulbs but cannot find anything on instructions / globe options for the MK 7 (not surprising given its recent release)....found a few things on the MK 6.

Amalgam
10-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Have a look here

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f128/most-powerful-legal-non-hid-blub-can-fitted-86025.html

shauno
10-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Get the Xenon's if the wait isn't too long.

Brighter halogens don't compare & a xenon retrofit is very expensive

singlespeed
10-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Bi-Xenon is $2150RRP, there's not reason why you couldn't negotiate it down to an acceptable price. There is nothing like having bi-xenon's, I wouldn't buy any new car w/o them.

stat71
10-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Bi-Xenon is $2150RRP, there's not reason why you couldn't negotiate it down to an acceptable price. There is nothing like having bi-xenon's, I wouldn't buy any new car w/o them.

Hmm, I will speak to the dealer again this arvo but I think he was intimating months NOT weeks. He told me he had checked the latest manifest on the boat an none were with the Bi-xenon's.

singlespeed
10-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Hmm, I will speak to the dealer again this arvo but I think he was intimating months NOT weeks. He told me he had checked the latest manifest on the boat an none were with the Bi-xenon's.

VW is using an identical bi-xenon setup on the Passat and Toureg, so you can check them out if there are no Golf's with them at the dealership. The LED DRL's look really clean, and it steps up the look of the Golf even when the lights are off. I think $2k is absurd, but again, that should be something to negotiate to a much lower price point.

stat71
16-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Well I've had my Golf 7 103TSI for a few days and will go ahead and change out the bulbs next weekend...the Golf 7 manual actually includes some pretty straight forward instructions, the hardest part will be choosing the bulb!

CPITUNING
07-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Well I've had my Golf 7 103TSI for a few days and will go ahead and change out the bulbs next weekend...the Golf 7 manual actually includes some pretty straight forward instructions, the hardest part will be choosing the bulb!

If you are interested you can come around to Autoslick and we can try a retrofit kit out. I'm curious to know how the MK7 will respond to our current canbus canceling kits.

stat71
07-07-2013, 09:05 PM
If you are interested you can come around to Autoslick and we can try a retrofit kit out. I'm curious to know how the MK7 will respond to our current canbus canceling kits.

Why not - can you PM me some details?