PDA

View Full Version : Audi TT Quattro advice

jasong
21-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey all,
Looking to buy a 2000 Audi Quattro Coupe with a blown up motor and this appears to be the place where people actually know what they're talking about. The only details I have at this stage are:

1781cc, petrol 98-RON, 4-cyls, turbo-charged intercooled, sequential EFI, 5-valves/cyl, dohc bore: 81.0mm, stroke: 86.4mm, c.r.: 9.0:1
power: 165kW at 5900rpm, torque: 280Nm at 2200rpm-5500rpm

Are there other Audi models that would have a compatiable motor? (i.e. drop straight in)
Any idea on costs and availability?
Anything to look for or words of advice?

Much appreciated

h100vw
22-09-2007, 09:45 AM
The other Audi with a similar engine is the S3. Other engines are similar but not the same. You should get the engine code off the head on the front left corner. Probably BAM.

You say the motor is blown, what exactly does that mean?? They are tough and the only thing that can cause damage really is a snapped timing belt.

Even than if you are doing the work yourself, you can get valves and rebuild the head.

Not too many of these engine floating around in Australia. Plenty in the states and europe though.

Not a difficult project if you know what has one wrong with it.

Gavin

jasong
24-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey Gav,
Appreciate the info - I asked a few more questions and it turns out the code is APX and far as damage - the cars been wet and the motor damaged (i.e. bent rods). Translates into more than just a motor - I imagine the electronics would really rack up dollars. Shame as I was really getting into audi's.

Any ideas on whether an APY code motor would drop in or any other suggestions ?

Regards

h100vw
24-09-2007, 08:51 PM
The APY is a 210 hp S3 engine. I reckon the basic engine would be the same spec as the only difference I know of between the 2 power outputs is the software.

Personally unless it was being given away I don't think buying a water damaged car would be a good move. You would have to be prepared to change out the whole wiring loom and all kinds of stuff in a worst case scenario.

If you had easy access to a rear damaged one it wouldn't be so bad.

Time would be the other thing you'd need lots of.

Gavin

jasong
24-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey Gav,
I've got the time or rather I would make it as I believe there would be alot of satisfaction involved (and frustration no doubt). I have an electrics background and have access to a great mechanic. More a case of getting caught out and it all turning sour . Ad I found (below) makes it tempting but I dont know enough about interchangability of the motors.

AUDI S3 2001, APY 1.8LTR TURBO ALL WHEEL DRIVE ENGINE,GEARBOX WIRING AND COMPUTER PACKAGE LOW KM LOCAL ENGINE WITH WARRANTY 154 KW ENGINE, $3300.00

Regards

jasong
24-09-2007, 09:23 PM
From a UK site -

APY was the early S3 engine (210), followed by the "Facelift" engine (there was a facelifted S3) which was the AMK, later a further engine, the BAM was introduced. There seems to be a few other differences between the APY and the later engines - it seems mostly emissions stuff, extra lambda sensors, a change from the K04-20 to the K04-23 (which is essentially the same, but has an extra sensor) and the switch from Mechanical to Hydraulic/electrical VVT actuation all related to control, and perhaps larger injectors on the AMK/BAM. It seems the ECU changed to the me7.5 on the AMK/BAM. There's no fundamental difference between the AMK and BAM engines

h100vw
24-09-2007, 09:33 PM
ECUs is where it could fall down too. Need to have a matched set for the Engine and clocks.

If you have the ECU chipped then some firms can over-ride the security I know that Custom-Code can.

If your not frightened off yet then get busy. I don't mind with advice, if I have it. A good mate of mine in the UK did the engine conversions at Awesome for a long time. I can always get info from him.

Gavin

jasong
24-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Greatly appreciate your replies,
A little more homework to do.

Regards