PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Camera for VW Caddy with Barn Doors. Cable path?

kinetic
03-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Hello,

I have ordered a genuine VW reverse camera to install with my RCD510. Apparently the RVC option isn't available for vans with barn doors probably due to the lack of mounting options. My caddy has a mechanical door release rather than an electronically controlled one, so a handle replacement isn't suitable.

Anyway, I'll be modifying the camera to work in my situation and I have a reasonable plan for what I'm going to do.

My main concern is installing the cabling and ensuring I do it in a way that doesn't damage the trim. Some parts are tricky/impossible to remove in modern vehicles! I thought I'd see if anyone has installed cabling from the back of a barn door Caddy to the front head unit area? There is the option to go down the passenger side or through the roof bulkhead.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Skoda VW
11-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Not sure if any help, but I installed VW RVC into Maxi Life with tailgate.

Ran cables along drivers side under roof lining and then through tailgate entry on passenger side at top. Lots of trim in Maxi Life to hide cables behind. Not too hard to get trim off drivers side pillar to get to roof. Getting cable through the rubber cable gland into the tailgate was a real PITA. Prob spent a good 2 hours just getting the cable in there and down past the window to the number plate light.

Had to cut tailgate metal to allow VW camera mount and cable to pass into tailgate. Sealed with silastic afterwards and no leaks.

kinetic
11-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Not sure if any help, but I installed VW RVC into Maxi Life with tailgate.

Ran cables along drivers side under roof lining and then through tailgate entry on passenger side at top. Lots of trim in Maxi Life to hide cables behind. Not too hard to get trim off drivers side pillar to get to roof. Getting cable through the rubber cable gland into the tailgate was a real PITA. Prob spent a good 2 hours just getting the cable in there and down past the window to the number plate light.

Had to cut tailgate metal to allow VW camera mount and cable to pass into tailgate. Sealed with silastic afterwards and no leaks.

Thanks for that.

How did you go once you got to the drivers seat area and through the dash? Any tips for getting those side pillars off?

Skoda VW
13-06-2013, 11:44 AM
The side pillar trims levered off no problems. I bought a cheap plastic trim removal tool off the net. The hard one was the trim around the little side window which was making it difficult to get the wire up there.

Once the radio was out it was easy to run cable across drivers side below steering wheel. Don't remember the trim being hard to remove in the foot well. Had to get under the steering wheel to access a connector to install a wire for the reverse signal pickup anyway. I was installing VW bluetooth kit under drivers seat as well and prob had more trim removed than needed just for the camera wiring.