PDA

View Full Version : Sound System on the New Golf

ctan
16-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Is there any information out there on what sort of sound system is offered on the new Golf? As far as I can tell the DynaAudio option available on the MK6 is no longer offered as an option on the MK 7. Must admit I am not overly impressed with the system. It is definitely better than the stock system but for the money it is somewhat lacking. The DynaAudio on the Passat is heaps better. The sound system in the Skoda Octavia is just as good. The difference as far as I can tell is watts (could be wrong) , the one on the MK6 is 300W but on the Passat is 600W. It looks like there is a DynaAudio option offered on the MK7 GTI. Is this the same system as offered on the MK6? I can only hope it is a better system.

I'm not sure what comes with the DynaAudio option apart from the speakers? If it is just a set of speakers, I'm thinking the money is better spent on a third party install (assuming can find a vendor who can do this professionally w/o damaging the trims). But what about the integration with the RNS unit? If it is only speakers, then can I assume the coding and configuration will still work???

Any thoughts on this?

DoggieHowser
16-05-2013, 05:30 PM
If you follow the Dynaudio speaker range, you'll see they have different ranges:

The entry level is Excite and this is the range that goes into Golfs.

The Passat IIRC uses the higher Esotec range.

Golf7
16-05-2013, 06:35 PM
VW here haven't got any optional sound systems for the Golf just yet... Maybe they'll bring something in after a while and the GTI may very likely have some better sound system on offer...

aarunjury
16-05-2013, 08:14 PM
My sentiments exactly, in fact if I remember correctly, the Mk7 Golf GTI brochure I read from the UK offering did include an upgraded Dynaudio 8 speaker system as an option...

Paul_R
17-05-2013, 07:22 AM
UK GTI site offers 400w Dynaudio as option. 8 Speakers.
There are pictures of a plug n play subwoofer for the spare wheel well which brings a DSP too.

I suspect this option will be sufficient for most, although I'm not sure what happens to the spare wheel or if the R is impacted re the availability of the subwoofer due to the raised floor for the AWD gubbins.

The Mk6 Dynaudio is complimented very nicely by a small sub. It's like adding 2+1 and getting 4.

pologti18t
17-05-2013, 10:21 AM
VW USA seems to be going down the Fender path for optional sound systems....

choC
14-04-2014, 06:12 PM
The Mk6 + Scirocco R had options for the Dynaudio package which doesn't seem to be available any more (on the Golf R anyway).

Can someone with a bit of interest in audio give me a review of the sound in the Mk7?

zardoz
14-04-2014, 06:27 PM
I haven't heard the Dynaudio system in a Golf cabin but have heard it in a Tiguan. My current vehicle (mark 6 wagon) has a sound system which I am lead to believe is identical to the mark 5 in terms of speakers. It's average - better than some (and the mark 6 hatch in my opinion) but lacks a lot of detail.

I spent some time swapping CDs etc in a mark 7 wagon with leather interior and sunroof (these things can make a different to sound) and can say that there is a HUGE difference in sound quality compared to the mark 5 and 6 stock systems. I spent a day with a mark 6 hatch comfortline with cloth interior which, try as I may, couldn't be made to sound good for the life of me. The mark 7 system was listenable and could quite comfortable sit there for a few hours going through my music collection. I used Above & Beyond's Group Therapy album and Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms (original 1985 release) via CD and London Grammar's "If You Wait" album via high bitrate (v0 encoded) MP3 on SD card for my tests. Unlike the Discover Pro, the Discover Nav doesn't support FLAC lossless audio or direct iPhone/iPod connectivity.

I found there to be plenty of detail in the high end without that fatiguing feeling I get on some other systems. There's a bit of punch in the low end but not as much as I'd like. It's not boomy, though - it seemed well controlled.

Yes, I'd rate the Dynaudio package in the Tiguan above that sound in terms of clarity and detail. I dare say I am less concerned about the lack of premium sound option on the mark 7 than I would have been with a mark 6. Disappointed with the Discover Nav screen - Samsung are shipping watches with a higher res display ...

I've been quoted of upwards of around 4k to get the dynaudio system retrofitted inclusive of labour - a third party upgrade is likely better value at that price point. The new dynaudio system I'm told is a significant jump from the old one, too, and includes a subwoofer module that sits inside the spare wheel.

I'd suggest walking into a dealership with an SD card and/or CDs and have a play and perhaps even spend some time doing so on a test drive to give you an idea on how the road noise affects audio quality.

choC
14-04-2014, 06:37 PM
I spent some time swapping CDs etc in a mark 7 wagon with leather interior and sunroof (these things can make a different to sound) and can say that there is a HUGE difference in sound quality compared to the mark 5 and 6 stock systems. I spent a day with a mark 6 hatch comfortline with cloth interior which, try as I may, couldn't be made to sound good for the life of me. The mark 7 system was listenable and could quite comfortable sit there for a few hours going through my music collection. I used Above & Beyond's Group Therapy album and Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms (original 1985 release) via CD and London Grammar's "If You Wait" album via high bitrate (v0 encoded) MP3 on SD card for my tests. Unlike the Discover Pro, the Discover Nav doesn't support FLAC lossless audio or direct iPhone/iPod connectivity.

Just what I wanted to hear. You've got very similar tastes in music too :)

I've already ordered my Golf R 7, just seeing if I'll have to spend the extra money on a better sounding audio system. Shame there's no Dynaudio package though.

Paul_R
14-04-2014, 06:40 PM
No Dynaudio in Mk 7 R in Australia. One reason I've ordered an S3.

readerr0r
14-04-2014, 07:06 PM
The Skoda has the option to spec the canton audio system, when paired with the Discover Pro you get 5.1 surround. General comments I've read has put the Canton ahead of the Mk7 Dynaudio system, but since you've got Golf R money the B&O system in the S3 would be streets ahead of either.

Stock speakers in most VAG cars are pretty pleasant, when I paired my Polo speakers with a good quality amp and subwoofer I was amazed with the results. I actually wonder if I'm better going that route with the Octavia instead of ordering the Canton.

zardoz
14-04-2014, 08:04 PM
The cabin rumble issues with the Octavia (and the absence of skoda dealers within a reasonable distance) was the reason why I didn't opt for a new Octavia. I'd love to compare the Canton system with the Dynaudio (I'd put most Dynaudio home loudspeakers above the Cantons I've auditioned in the past but no idea what goes on with the cars) and given the Discover Pro's DVD-Audio capability, would love to find out if surround audio actually works from these discs... and how viable a surround sound environment is in a car.

The Dynaudio system is NZ$2150 as an option on a GTI. The Canton system is what, 900 bucks or so? I realise that price is never a good indicator but I'd expect the Dynaudio to have a bit more in it than the Canton. That said, audio is personal and it depends on the music you're listening to.

Now, I'd love to know if the Discover Pro is any different to listen to vs. the Discover Nav on the same speakers...

jomandybri
15-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Went into a dealer today and they said there is a new system coming out in about 12 weeks which is essntially a rectangle that gets velcroed to the back of the rear seats and gets wired in. No idea on price or details, I didn't think to ask any more at the time sadly.

zardoz
15-04-2014, 10:18 PM
This is known as the "plug and play" add-on sound system upgrade. Sadly, it's not as plug and play as they describe and it won't upgrade the speakers but I believe that it does provide additional amplifier and subwoofer capabilities in that unit.

Alex31
16-04-2014, 10:58 AM
I got to listen to the Dynauido system in a mk6 golf r and the B&O in a 8v S3... I thought the Dynauido was a good system until you put your favorite song on in the Audi..... Wow just wow it is light years ahead of the Dynauido ( and it is not a bad system either) just so full, clear and crisp sound out of the B&O.
Audi for the win when it comes to sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choC
16-04-2014, 12:04 PM
This is known as the "plug and play" add-on sound system upgrade. Sadly, it's not as plug and play as they describe and it won't upgrade the speakers but I believe that it does provide additional amplifier and subwoofer capabilities in that unit.

That's the one that replaces the spare wheel isn't it?

Here is a link:
Accessories : Owners : Volkswagen UK (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/accessories/all/all/all/Plug+%26+Play+sound+system/plug-play-sound-system/5G0051419/1#)

Would love to know if that is going to be available here in AU.

Matt P
16-04-2014, 10:37 PM
the other option (what i have) is a plug and play upgrade like this (MATCH by Audiotec Fischer (http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/en/match/?language=en))

choC
17-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Does the AU Mk7 R come with Digital Radio? Can't find much info on the actual features of the stock system.

CT69
17-04-2014, 05:43 PM
choC: standard in the UK, but not even an option in Australia, to the best of my knowledge

choC
17-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Seriously, what have we done to deserve this? It's not like it would be that hard or expensive to include.

I'll probably be spending about 2-3k on replacing the entire audio system it seems, which is a bit of a downer on a $60K+ car sold in 2014.

limiteded
15-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Having owned a few VW's, including a Mk7 Golf 110TDI Wagon, & Myself being keen on playing my music at a generous volume, I noticed how poorer quality the sound is in the Mk7 once the volume starts getting turned up.
I installed an aftermarket amp & the sound became great, & it showed how the Discover Media Amplifier is the issue, not the speakers themselves.

Though with the aftermarket amp there were issues of the sound dropping out & crackling each time the car was started due to the Stop/Start feature, which was rather annoying.

My comparison is a family members MY12.5 Mk6 Golf fitted with the RNS510, & My current MY12.5 Passat fitted with the RNS510. The sound isn't the greatest thing ever in these two VW's but I feel it being much more substantial than the Mk7 Golf, & it is something that I can comfortably live with.

I recently had a Mk7 Golf Hatch as a loan car, and it reinforced the fact of the poor audio quality.

My point is that VW have had plenty of time to get things going for the Golf, & for GTI & R purchasers to not even have an option of some sort of decent audio for above $45 000 mark is ludicrous.

They have stripped Dynaudio out of all vehicles but the R line Touareg, which also is ridiculous.

I encourage you all to be vocal at your VW dealers about options that you would like, especially if your building your own car from the factory.

It seems that VW Australia are only reactive to what people want, not proactive.

dtpearson
24-09-2015, 06:42 AM
I had the genuine VW Plug & Play Subwoofer system installed by Euro Car Tune in Maroochydore. Aus VW dealers seem to have heard about the system but don't know if they can order or fit it.

You loose the spare tyre, but i just got a small compressor and can of goop (you can get an all in one from Amazon US).

I would say that the sound in the Golf R mk7 goes from about a 6/10 to 9/10. FAR, FAR more bass (truly chest thumping) and somewhat interestingly much better treble as well (all stock speakers are powered by the new amp).

I cannot comprehend how VW Aus doesn't offer this kit. NO ONE could possibly expect a better system for a $1000 upgrade.