PDA

View Full Version : supercharging an Ibiza GTi

IbizaGTI
18-09-2007, 10:29 PM
At the Adelaide GTG, Cordy_SXE and I (the only SEAT drivers there) were discussing how there aren't any posts we've seen about people turbo\super charging their SEATs. well I just found a post from a UK forum that discusses that procedure and goes into a fair bit of detail (most of which is over my head) here's a quote from it fyi:

right, my summer project this year is to supercharge my Ibiza 1.8l 16v Gti, i've been reading up on loads of stuff about different superchargers (roots type, scroll type etc) and have decided to use the Eaton M45 Sueprcharger out of a mini cooper, i paid for it on thursday so it should be with me next week (if not saturday) i'll get pics up of it when i get it.

that's the hardest part to find, the chargers go very quickly on ebay and i hate using ebay anyway.

Been talking to Nanod and Eddy and this is the list that we've compiled that'll finish the job. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible without skimping on quality / reliability:

Megasquirt 1 EMS V3 Spark extra with loom,
317cc or higher injetors,
Audi TT/16v inlet with 1.8T fuel rail.
FMIC
Boost hoses and pipes.
Twin G60 head gaskets to lower compression.
G60 Crank pulely / custom machined if needed
Keep standard internals - can upgrade to S2 internals later on if i want
i'm not going to change the cams either as apparently the ADL engine has a nice cam to use anyway.

I will also be
Lightening the Flywheel
Sports Clutch (both at the same time)
Gearbox rebuild (will find a spare one and get that done alongside this)
Uprated HT leads (Megaleads) and spark plugs
various other little engine parts to make her run smoother etc.

After all of this: estimated peak output 190bhp and 180lbft. this is from 130bhp and 125lbft.

The interesting part is that i need my car as a daily, to get to and from work and uni, so there'll be 2 days of work (seperately) hopefully (things can go wrong) this is the general plan, and how Nando did his:

1st Day - Measure up charger and fabricate brackets, fit the charger to brackets and car. to do this we'll have to remove the A/C compressor (i'm not bothered by that). Also pulleys will be needed. Fit crank pulley and line up charger, fit belt. This will wear in the charger and keep it nice. Mount intercooler and get hosing measured up/

2nd Day - Fit inlet manifold and fuel rail, plumb in the charger to the air filter, then intercooler, and then to the throttle body. Fit megasquirt ECU and quick remap (eddy knows how to do this) and her get it all running sweetly

That's the plan, i'm expecting a bumpy ride, as nothing i do goes properly without a fight. There'll be pics and vids to keep all entertained.

Let the Fun Begin

and the link so that you can follow the process as it unfolds (I will be), and read others' helpful comments: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126494

Joel at the GTG on Sunday (see meet pics (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=5908)) has done a similar thing with his MK1 Golf and from the bits and pieces I understood from his tirade of intercoolers, cams and valves it sounds fairly similar... one to watch anyhow... :cool:

just had another look and the thread is tons long, and gets very much off topic - so just a warning

evorobin
18-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Put a 20vt in and be done with it

Golf Loon
19-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Use a Jap supercharger in Australia. Easier to find.

NiGhtCRaWlEr
19-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Im over on the Cupranet site in the UK ( I live here) and the usual thing is to put a 20VT lump in .. so much easier to get hold of there 'was' a write up tail end of last year/early this year of a guy from Oz that had a VR6 lump in his Mk2 'biza
ill see if I can drag it up from the archives at all

:D

John

Golf Loon
19-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Im over on the Cupranet site in the UK ( I live here) and the usual thing is to put a 20VT lump in .. so much easier to get hold of there 'was' a write up tail end of last year/early this year of a guy from Oz that had a VR6 lump in his Mk2 'biza
ill see if I can drag it up from the archives at all

:D

John

It was me with the VR6 Beeza :) The 20V engines are still harder to get over here than VR6s, but there was one 20VT Ibiza in QLD that someone built and there will be another one down here very soon ;)

gpk_gti
19-09-2007, 07:58 AM
you guys are freaks! just stick a rocket launcher in there as well! hahahaa:D

NiGhtCRaWlEr
19-09-2007, 09:16 AM
It was me with the VR6 Beeza :) The 20V engines are still harder to get over here than VR6s, but there was one 20VT Ibiza in QLD that someone built and there will be another one down here very soon ;)
NO $h!t !!
small world :D

CORDY_SXE
21-09-2007, 08:24 PM
At the Adelaide GTG, Cordy_SXE and I (the only SEAT drivers there) were discussing how there aren't any posts we've seen about people turbo\super charging their SEATs. well I just found a post from a UK forum that discusses that procedure and goes into a fair bit of detail (most of which is over my head) here's a quote from it fyi:

right, my summer project this year is to supercharge my Ibiza 1.8l 16v Gti, i've been reading up on loads of stuff about different superchargers (roots type, scroll type etc) and have decided to use the Eaton M45 Sueprcharger out of a mini cooper, i paid for it on thursday so it should be with me next week (if not saturday) i'll get pics up of it when i get it.

that's the hardest part to find, the chargers go very quickly on ebay and i hate using ebay anyway.

Been talking to Nanod and Eddy and this is the list that we've compiled that'll finish the job. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible without skimping on quality / reliability:

Megasquirt 1 EMS V3 Spark extra with loom,
317cc or higher injetors,
Audi TT/16v inlet with 1.8T fuel rail.
FMIC
Boost hoses and pipes.
Twin G60 head gaskets to lower compression.
G60 Crank pulely / custom machined if needed
Keep standard internals - can upgrade to S2 internals later on if i want
i'm not going to change the cams either as apparently the ADL engine has a nice cam to use anyway.

I will also be
Lightening the Flywheel
Sports Clutch (both at the same time)
Gearbox rebuild (will find a spare one and get that done alongside this)
Uprated HT leads (Megaleads) and spark plugs
various other little engine parts to make her run smoother etc.

After all of this: estimated peak output 190bhp and 180lbft. this is from 130bhp and 125lbft.

The interesting part is that i need my car as a daily, to get to and from work and uni, so there'll be 2 days of work (seperately) hopefully (things can go wrong) this is the general plan, and how Nando did his:

1st Day - Measure up charger and fabricate brackets, fit the charger to brackets and car. to do this we'll have to remove the A/C compressor (i'm not bothered by that). Also pulleys will be needed. Fit crank pulley and line up charger, fit belt. This will wear in the charger and keep it nice. Mount intercooler and get hosing measured up/

2nd Day - Fit inlet manifold and fuel rail, plumb in the charger to the air filter, then intercooler, and then to the throttle body. Fit megasquirt ECU and quick remap (eddy knows how to do this) and her get it all running sweetly

That's the plan, i'm expecting a bumpy ride, as nothing i do goes properly without a fight. There'll be pics and vids to keep all entertained.

Let the Fun Begin

and the link so that you can follow the process as it unfolds (I will be), and read others' helpful comments: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126494

Joel at the GTG on Sunday (see meet pics (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=5908)) has done a similar thing with his MK1 Golf and from the bits and pieces I understood from his tirade of intercoolers, cams and valves it sounds fairly similar... one to watch anyhow... :cool:

just had another look and the thread is tons long, and gets very much off topic - so just a warning

Thanks for that!! Will have a closer look/read over the weekend!! Let us know if you find something that'll make the GTi go any faster locally!!