PDA

View Full Version : Recall of 7spd DSG (excludes Mk7)

Amalgam
13-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Volkswagen recall extended (http://m.smh.com.au/drive/motor-news/volkswagen-recall-extended-20130513-2jhon.html)

Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a 103 TSI Highline. Are there known reliability issues with the DSG?

Thanks in advance.

Cuthbert
13-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know whether the DSG in the new Golf 7 is significantly improved over the previous version. Or is it the same?

DoggieHowser
14-05-2013, 12:18 AM
There is a similar recall on the 7 speed gearboxes used in some VW cars in Singapore which IIRC are also sourced from the same factories as the Australian vehicles. So the spokesman for VW Australia has shot himself in the foot.

However the recall does not affect the Mk7.

The Singapore forum (VAGSG) has inputs from owners of the Mk7 which claim the 7-speed DSG in the Mk7 feels different from the ones in their older VW rides, particularly the 1st to 2nd gear jerkiness.

Ryan_R
14-05-2013, 09:06 AM
I have a MK6 118TSI and have test driven the new 103TSI. The feeling of the DSG is soooooooo much better. No more hesitation from standstill, no jerks in start/stop, no clunks. Feels a lot more like a traditional auto. Of course it's a brand new car so hard to tell but I wouldn't expect to see issues with it compared with the early MK6s).

Golf7
14-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know whether the DSG in the new Golf 7 is significantly improved over the previous version. Or is it the same?

Much improved gearbox, inside it looks way different. Saw a cutaway at the launch compared to the old one... Works 10 times better too in real life, not so much on the go when you're rolling as the old one was perfect but when you're moving off in traffic, starting up hills... It is much better with less hesitation too.

Golf7
14-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a MK6 118TSI and have test driven the new 103TSI. The feeling of the DSG is soooooooo much better. No more hesitation from standstill, no jerks in start/stop, no clunks. Feels a lot more like a traditional auto. Of course it's a brand new car so hard to tell but I wouldn't expect to see issues with it compared with the early MK6s).

The fact that it's brand new should actually make the experience worse as everything is still tight. You're so very right about the experience, it's awesome!

Golf7
14-05-2013, 12:18 PM
There is a similar recall on the 7 speed gearboxes used in some VW cars in Singapore which IIRC are also sourced from the same factories as the Australian vehicles. So the spokesman for VW Australia has shot himself in the foot.

However the recall does not affect the Mk7.

The Singapore forum (VAGSG) has inputs from owners of the Mk7 which claim the 7-speed DSG in the Mk7 feels different from the ones in their older VW rides, particularly the 1st to 2nd gear jerkiness.

I hate how Gehling just refuses to do something, he knows that something's wrong, we know that something's wrong, yet no action is taken. At least the extended warranty is a step in the right direction...

But then again what would be the corrective action for the DSG??? Replacing it and throwing it out completely?

Ryan_R
14-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Chuck in one of the other DQ models... but then you'll get some people complaining that their l/100k went up

Golf7
14-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I can see why he's doing what he's doing, they'll never win...

blutopless2
14-05-2013, 01:28 PM
No more hesitation from standstill, no jerks in start/stop, no clunks.

If you have hesitation, jerkiness or clunky gear changes the gearbox is not working correctly.

Rawcpoppa
14-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Much improved gearbox, inside it looks way different. Saw a cutaway at the launch compared to the old one... Works 10 times better too in real life, not so much on the go when you're rolling as the old one was perfect but when you're moving off in traffic, starting up hills... It is much better with less hesitation too.

Do you have a link to the cutaway or a document stating the differences? I have a service manual for the new dq200 and the servicing seems to be exactly the same as that found in older dq200 DSGs.

Ryan_R
14-05-2013, 01:49 PM
If you have hesitation, jerkiness or clunky gear changes the gearbox is not working correctly.

I've had both the clutch pack and mechatronics replaced last year, then added Guy's DSG tune and have accepted that this is as good as it's going to get for this car.

The point I was trying to make was that with the Mk6, you had to drive it like a manual, but I didn't get that feeling driving the Mk7

Golf7
14-05-2013, 02:39 PM

Nope, Ryan was completely right, the old DSG was a bit annoying around town or in carparks... Made some friends think I was crazy reversing up a steep driveway on gravel... Rolling down and then wheelspin on the way up... Must have been hilarious to watch! :)

cktsi
16-05-2013, 07:13 AM

Aaaarg... Tut! Tut! Tut! Tut! Tut! Tut! Tut!

That is how I felt about the DQ200 originally in my car, but things deteriorated over time! It is too quick to call.

Back to the OP, from what i understood last time i took the car into VW, the new unit at least has new clutch plate materials. Seems like rawcoppa didnt get any further with his research in this thread.

The new DSG unit has a new designation.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/new-7-speed-dry-clutch-dsg-80143.html

Rawcpoppa
16-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Yup I'm stumped. New designation but no new documentation I can find. It's still classified as a dq200 so vw probably won't bother releasing specific documentation for 0cw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wys
17-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm under the impression that DSGs in China are actually produced in China..?

Joesama
29-07-2013, 04:30 AM
Does this mean that the new MK7 Golf.. you can drive it like a normal Auto cars?
If it does.. I can consider this car. I was considering the Jetta before.. but it seems to be the problem prone car if driven like an any other auto cars.

joe....

wai
29-07-2013, 07:25 AM
A DSG is a DSG.

The recall only rectifies an issue with the mechatronics unit which incorporates the electro-mechanical control mechanism that changes gears. The fault was where reaction between the heated hydraulic oil would react with the mechatronics unit housing creating conductive particles that would land on the circuit board and create a short circuit. This would blow the fuse which would open both clutches.

The 7-speed dry clutch gearbox was more prone to suffer from overheated oil because it did not have an oil cooler. The 6-speed and 7-speed wet clutch units have oil coolers and are not included in the recall.

ziggyboy
29-07-2013, 11:52 AM
The hesitation still exists for the Golf 7. Read new owner reviews on this forum and Whirlpool.

rosslm
29-07-2013, 05:44 PM
The hesitation still exists for the Golf 7. Read new owner reviews on this forum and Whirlpool.

A DSG is an automated manual different from a traditional torque convertor automatic or CVT, if you haven't driven a DSG before you may notice hesitation particularly from standstill. If you understand the technology it works beautifully. Having owned a Golf MK VI Diesel DSG for nearly 4 years I cannot fault it. I have also driven a number of Golf MK VI 7 speeds also never had a problem. Drivers not familiar with DSG transmissions will normally complain about hesitation or erratic behaviour in stop start traffic or on steep inclines mostly at slow speed. I would suggest if you drive smoothly by that I mean not switching rapidly from accelerator to brake and back to accelerator particularly at slower speeds and you drive smoothly and anticipate the traffic around you the DSG will perform without problem in fact best of both worlds you get the efficiency of a manual with the ease of an automatic. Having owned or driven cars with all types of transmissions manual, automatic, CVT and DSG, my preference is the DSG!

Hillbilly
29-07-2013, 06:03 PM
A DSG is an automated manual different from a traditional torque convertor automatic or CVT, if you haven't driven a DSG before you may notice hesitation particularly from standstill. If you understand the technology it works beautifully. Having owned a Golf MK VI Diesel DSG for nearly 4 years I cannot fault it. I have also driven a number of Golf MK VI 7 speeds also never had a problem. Drivers not familiar with DSG transmissions will normally complain about hesitation or erratic behaviour in stop start traffic or on steep inclines mostly at slow speed. I would suggest if you drive smoothly by that I mean not switching rapidly from accelerator to brake and back to accelerator particularly at slower speeds and you drive smoothly and anticipate the traffic around you the DSG will perform without problem in fact best of both worlds you get the efficiency of a manual with the ease of an automatic. Having owned or driven cars with all types of transmissions manual, automatic, CVT and DSG, my preference is the DSG!

Also as in a manual dont ride the clutch by GENTLY holding on the brake or slowly moving forward in traffic by partly releasing the brake.
A sure way to burn out the clutches.

Dont hold it on a hill by letting it hold like a slush box.

When you stop hold the brake down firmly until you are ready to move off and keep moving, no creeping it.

Lots dont seem to understand how these boxes work.

ziggyboy
29-07-2013, 11:07 PM

I own an MK6 Jetta DSG and do not like it. I prefer to be lazier and drive a torque converter auto without having to worry about whether I'm driving an auto the right way.

It really is a personal thing. You're willing to live with the small quirkiness of dual clutch transmissions and be more careful in driving it for fuel efficiency and faster shifts. I personally think these benefits are small and generally not as noticeable to the general public. What is noticeable is the unusual behaviour during start stop traffic and the fact that you have to put more effort in making sure you are driving it properly.

An auto is simply what it is... an automatic. You step on the accelerator to move forward, and the brakes to stop. If you need to think beyond these two principles and it defeats the purpose of an "automatic". Some people want an "auto" for what it was originally designed for... I explained this to my gf's dad and that's pretty much what he said. He said the DSG is not ready for the masses because they just want an A to B vehicle with the least amount of effort. Having to teach them to drive a special type of gearbox defeats the purpose of an automatic.

Ryan_R
30-07-2013, 06:46 AM
If they're happy with the larger fuel bill then that's fine for them.

kaanage
30-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I own an MK6 Jetta DSG and do not like it. I prefer to be lazier and drive a torque converter auto without having to worry about whether I'm driving an auto the right way.

The wet clutches in the DQ-250 handle creeping much better than the dry clutches in the DQ-200. Drive your car as you would a slushbox.

Hillbilly
30-07-2013, 08:20 AM

It really is a personal thing. You're willing to live with the small quirkiness of dual clutch transmissions and be more careful in driving it for fuel efficiency and faster shifts. I personally think these benefits are small and generally not as noticeable to the general public. What is noticeable is the unusual behaviour during start stop traffic and the fact that you have to put more effort in making sure you are driving it properly.

An auto is simply what it is... an automatic. You step on the accelerator to move forward, and the brakes to stop. If you need to think beyond these two principles and it defeats the purpose of an "automatic". Some people want an "auto" for what it was originally designed for... I explained this to my gf's dad and that's pretty much what he said. He said the DSG is not ready for the masses because they just want an A to B vehicle with the least amount of effort. Having to teach them to drive a special type of gearbox defeats the purpose of an automatic.

Holdens are cheap at the moment

ziggyboy
30-07-2013, 09:22 AM
The wet clutches in the DQ-250 handle creeping much better than the dry clutches in the DQ-200. Drive your car as you would a slushbox.

I haven't driven any of the other DSG models but I'll keep that in mind.

Holdens are cheap at the moment

Don't get me wrong, I do intend to replace my car. Just bad timing at the moment. I bought a house early this year and to buy another brand new car of a similar class will cost me around $30k driveaway. Trading in my VW will probably cost me $18k? Possibly even lower. I don't have $10k+ in cash to top up for a new car. Used car isn't really an option as well because I want manufacturer's warranty. And I'm not going to buy a 2 year old car because I'll just get 1 year warranty. My car is crap, I admit it, but at least in the last few times I had issues they were covered by warranty. I also bought extended warranty when I got it so it gives me some consolation even though I dislike it. At the end of the day it serves its basic purpose.

Hillbilly
30-07-2013, 09:26 AM
. Drive your car as you would a slushbox.

Holding it on a slope on the throttle as you would in a slushbox wont exactly do the clutches much good I wouldnt have thought.
I dont even do that in the Passat

Mountainman
30-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Read the latest "Wheels" and they seem to be more impressed with the new BMW 8 speed auto over the VW DSG when comparing the 118d and the 110TDI. As a manual owner and occasional DSG driver I just couldn't put up with the jerkiness, low speed stumbles and delayed response from rest that the DSG's, both 6 and 7 speeds, I have driven seem to give. They are poor in an area where a good auto is so soothing and easy.

ziggyboy
30-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Read the latest "Wheels" and they seem to be more impressed with the new BMW 8 speed auto over the VW DSG when comparing the 118d and the 110TDI. As a manual owner and occasional DSG driver I just couldn't put up with the jerkiness, low speed stumbles and delayed response from rest that the DSG's, both 6 and 7 speeds, I have driven seem to give. They are poor in an area where a good auto is so soothing and easy.
Thanks for your post. This is exactly how I feel. There are pros and cons to both the DSG and torque converters. I'm just one of those, like you, who doesn't think the pros outweigh the cons. Sometimes I just come across as aggressive with my posts so other just see me as trolling, but this is the very message I have been trying to convey.

kaanage
30-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Holding it on a slope on the throttle as you would in a slushbox wont exactly do the clutches much good I wouldnt have thought.
I dont even do that in the Passat

Well, I don't even do that with slushboxes - you're using extra fuel and generating heat in the transmission with those as well (though they may well have a higher heat capacity)

pologti18t
30-07-2013, 11:47 AM
I
Don't get me wrong, I do intend to replace my car. Just bad timing at the moment.

Why continue complaining about it on the MK7 thread then? It is what it is.

DSG (as do Powershift and TCT) has quirks and irritations. Plenty of TC automatics with irritations (constant gear shuffling, stay in high gears too long, clunky shifts)

I can't believe people who had never driven a DSG before wouldn't have picked up during a test drive the foibles straight away. The initial delay for instance. The slow speed hesitation.

rosslm
03-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Anyone interested, here is a car with the only transmission available being a DSG enjoy! Video: 2013 Porsche 911 GT3 driven Car Video | Autocar (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-2013-porsche-911-gt3-driven)

dieterbohlen
20-01-2014, 08:38 PM
How do you know that your DSG was actually repaired/replaced? Does the dealer put some kind of sticker on the car or in your log book or is it going just in VW database? How can I be sure that they actually repaired it?

Hillbilly
20-01-2014, 08:47 PM
How do you know that your DSG was actually repaired/replaced? Does the dealer put some kind of sticker on the car or in your log book or is it going just in VW database? How can I be sure that they actually repaired it?

They give you an invoice and there should be a recall sticker placed on the car Usually on the driver A pillar when you open the door.

This has always been done on any car I have had a recall done on and there has been a few.

dieterbohlen
20-01-2014, 08:57 PM
They give you an invoice and there should be a recall sticker placed on the car Usually on the driver A pillar when you open the door.

This has always been done on any car I have had a recall done on and there has been a few.

Interestingly I don't have a sticker on my car. Should i be worried?

hoi polloi
20-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Well, I don't even do that with slushboxes

Exactly, you're not supposed to hold any auto gearbox on a slope with just the throttle...

Hillbilly
20-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Exactly, you're not supposed to hold any auto gearbox on a slope with just the throttle...

Very true but try telling those who do it all the time

Hillbilly
20-01-2014, 09:50 PM

I don't know ask the dealer how they record it It seems they can tell whats been done by entering the Vin in their system and they read it off.

I got an invoice when the Polo had the last recall done so just filed it.

there are also stickers in the boot if I remember correctly Look there.

Im not worrying about mine

wai
07-02-2014, 07:50 PM

I had mine done yesterday.

You should have a "receipt" showing 3 things. The mechatronics unit replaced, the oil replaced, and the sticker having been placed.

On my Caddy, it is on the driver side door A pillar (near the top hinge).