PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Sound from Engine Bay

Deadnight
11-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Dear gentlemen,

Last saturday i picked up my RocR from VW and i had it tuned to ABT Stage 1. I was soo happy and have been driving around with my RocR

That evening after driving around, i stopped and was out from the car while the engine was running and idling.

I notice there was a tapping sound.. tap tap tap tap.. continuously. It's that not loud but noticeable.

Today i went to VW and ask my dealer to check the tapping sound. The technician came back and asked me whether i upgraded it to Stage 1, and i replied yes. He said the tapping sound most probably due to the Stage 1 coz all this while he never encountered any tapping sound from a stock RocR. In my head i was like 'really?' can a ECU remapped cause the tapping sound??

Anyway, he said he can diagnose it out but i need to make an appointment. So i've talked to my dealer, she will book me a slot and will get back to me.

Any one here with Stage 1 or stock R had experienced something like i did? Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks

Lucas_R
11-05-2013, 08:32 PM
The injectors are noisy at idle on these engines (direct injection). Thats probably what you are hearing.

The tune has nothing to do with it.

How long ago did the car have an oil change? Sometimes old oil can make the engine a bit noisier.

Deadnight
12-05-2013, 11:35 AM
The injectors are noisy at idle on these engines (direct injection). Thats probably what you are hearing.

The tune has nothing to do with it.

How long ago did the car have an oil change? Sometimes old oil can make the engine a bit noisier.

Hi Lucas,

So u are saying that the tapping/ticking sound is caused by injectors?

The car was collected with a mileage clocked at 70km.. Drove it around and now at 500km

A friend suggested to change the engine oil, he recommended liquimoly.

RoccoR
12-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Could very well be the fuel pump. This makes a tapping like sound as it is cam driven. Totally normal though.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S4

BoschAutoShop
14-05-2013, 11:14 AM
All the above suggestions are realistic and a common association with Gasoline Direct Injection systems. There are a lot of reasons why GDI systems are noisier than port injection - far too many to explain here - but the moral of the story is that it's highly unlikely you have anything to worry about.

Orrgazmo1986
14-05-2013, 12:08 PM
My golf r has the same tapping tinny sound. It was there when stock and now since I've changed my intake it has become more noticeable. I no longer have the oem engine cover, apparently those things do a very good job at muffling the engine sound. I think it's normal.

Deadnight
31-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Sorry guys for the late reply,

Been busy with work lately, apparently after sending my car to service center the technician told me that it is normal for TSi engine to have ticking/tapping sounds.

Problem solved.

Thank you so much guys for your advice.

Lucas_R
31-05-2013, 05:21 PM
^ FYI, although the engine cover and all VW info say that the engine is a TSI, it is infact the older FSI engine (Golf R / Rocco R / GTI 35th Edition all have the same basic engine as the older Mk5 GTI.

AdamD
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
^ FYI, although the engine cover and all VW info say that the engine is a TSI, it is infact the older FSI engine (Golf R / Rocco R / GTI 35th Edition all have the same basic engine as the older Mk5 GTI.

True, it's the same fundamental EA113 as the Mk5 GTI. Although in current applications there have been a number of (minor) revisions made - hence why VW calls the engine a TSI now. It's just a marketing term anyway, and TSI is really just another way of saying it's a later-generation FSI (direct injected, small engine, etc).