PDA

View Full Version : 118TSI Daytime Running Lights

crackdawg
10-05-2013, 11:30 PM
So the wife loves her 103TDI mk6 Golf and we decided to add a 118TSI Jetta to the garage too.... i've just taken delivery and i can't believe the daytime running lights can't simply be switched off via MFD like the Golf...

Anyone have any idea how to turn this absolutely ridiculous option off?

Any suggestions (other than pulling out fuses)?

DoggiesUtd
10-05-2013, 11:41 PM
y do u want to turn em off?

crackdawg
11-05-2013, 10:13 AM
because it is annoying and as a consumer of a product i've just purchased i should have the option to run them on/off as i feel fit... i can't understand why a golf can easily switch it off but the jetta cannot

Hillbilly
11-05-2013, 10:34 AM
They are a safety feature and compulsory in some countries (Canada for one) so why anyone would want to turn them off is beyond me.

A you cant see them when in the car

B Oncoming drivers can see you better especially in cars that the driver doesnt bother to turn lights on in dark driving conditions..

They look quite nice as well, far better than the w***kers who drive around with their fogs on illegally

davodinkum
11-05-2013, 01:47 PM
In my 147tsi jetta, I can switch the DRL off though the MFD menu. I've done this as I've installed some led strips as a replacement

vdubmotorworx
11-05-2013, 02:16 PM
would be able to turn them off with VCDS if you dont want them on again, but as above VW see it safety and Ive heard that the law may be coming to Australia within the next 5 years....so most manufactures are already putting the programme in so the customer has no option to turn them off... good idea really as so many people I see on a night that dont have there lights on! Idiots should not be on the road....

crackdawg
11-05-2013, 04:33 PM
They are a safety feature and compulsory in some countries (Canada for one) so why anyone would want to turn them off is beyond me.

Having lived in Canada for a number of years I'm aware of the legal requirement and for most countries in the Northern Hemisphere that suffer from limited sunlight through the day ie: sunrises at 8am and sunset at 4pm, it makes sense - thankfully I don't need to concern myself with this and therefore demand the choice similarly with my Golf and other VW vehicles via MFD.

In my 147tsi jetta, I can switch the DRL off though the MFD menu. I've done this as I've installed some led strips as a replacement

Interesting that the option on your 147 can be amended via MFD. I can understand VW having this as a standard feature but not having the option to turn it on/off as you feel appropriate seems absolutely ridiculous. In the owners manual on page 102 it specifically states it can't be switched on/off ... thanks for your post and sharing that the premium models do have the flexibility.

would be able to turn them off with VCDS

thanks for this, after looking around on various sites/forums it seems VCDS is the only option - appreciate your posts folks.

Hillbilly
11-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Having lived in Canada for a number of years I'm aware of the legal requirement and for most countries in the Northern Hemisphere that suffer from limited sunlight through the day ie: sunrises at 8am and sunset at 4pm, it makes sense - thankfully I don't need to concern myself with this and therefore demand the choice similarly with my Golf and other VW vehicles via MFD.
s.

I would be more worried about Aussies that cant see you in daylight actually Ive got them and an idiot came up the wrong side of a traffic island and nearly wiped me out last week.

Must have been blind or a complete moron

Rawcpoppa
11-05-2013, 08:17 PM
VCDS gives you the option to turn them off. After you enable this feature via VCDS a new option appears on the vehicle's MFD with a toggle option under "Lights".

Skoda
12-05-2013, 10:26 PM

I too have the 147tsi Jetta (MY12) and can also confirm that the DRL can be turned off through the MDF menu.

Cheers

ziggyboy
13-05-2013, 11:33 AM
I've got a Jetta MY11 118TSI (first MY of this model released in Australia) and I am able to switch the DRL's on and off via the MFD. The Euro specs used to do this including the ones sold in the UK, but the American ones couldn't. Maybe they switched to using the American MFD settings...

Ryan_R
13-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Just to add to the mix - my MY10 118TSI Golf doesn't have an MFD menu for it - was added a year later iirc. Doesn't bother me as I prefer them - I recall reading stats of 30% reduction in oncoming accidents with them, and in inclement weather if you see others with them, they stand out a lot sooner (especially if they've got a light coloured car).

crackdawg
17-05-2013, 06:24 PM
it's been a week since delivery and admittedly im over it now but i'd still prefer the choice of on/off or at least snazzy LEDs etc... i'll mention it to the dealer and hopefully it'll magically appear in the MDS

human traffic
03-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I've got a Jetta MY11 118TSI (first MY of this model released in Australia) and I am able to switch the DRL's on and off via the MFD. The Euro specs used to do this including the ones sold in the UK, but the American ones couldn't. Maybe they switched to using the American MFD settings...
same. picked up my (almost) new 118tsi on the weekend, thought it was strange there wasnt an option to turn them off but after a quick play on the mfd i found the option but decided to keep them on after that anyway.

....um... rtfm? lol

JettaPom
11-08-2013, 04:54 PM
We've got an MY13 Comfortline, and there's no option in the menu to turn them off.