PDA

View Full Version : Jetta 147 turbo...when does it kick in?

tsybesor
08-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I've got an MY13 Jetta 147. Does anyone know when the turbo kicks in (rpm)? And does it always provide boost at the same engine speeds no matter how aggressive or light you are being with the accelerator?

Just curious....'cause I can never hear it.

blutopless2
09-05-2013, 09:21 AM
the turbo doesn't "kick in" as such... its actually running the entire time ... what you will feel as you increase rpm is the acceleration increase up to redline. So if you want to accelerate pretty quickly you need to keep the revs up as you go through the gears.
not sure about the boost level at different rpm etc...
you wont "hear" the turbo itself they are pretty quiet.

brad
09-05-2013, 09:35 AM
I've got an MY13 Jetta 147. Does anyone know when the turbo kicks in (rpm)? And does it always provide boost at the same engine speeds no matter how aggressive or light you are being with the accelerator?

Just curious....'cause I can never hear it.
Should start around 1800rpm & all in by ~2500rpm. Torque is then artificially limited to ~280Nm until ~4800rpm & then it starts to fall away.
So there's no "kick" as such, more a surge... unles something is wrong.

An ECU remap will give a more parabolic torque curve & increase the peak to around 350-380ish NM. Then you'll feel a kick :-)

tsybesor
09-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Ok, thanks. 2 slightly different answers as I read it. Anyone know a link to the specs of this engine which might tell me more? Any google search I do just lists pages and pages of car ads.

Hillbilly
09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Ok, thanks. 2 slightly different answers as I read it. Anyone know a link to the specs of this engine which might tell me more? Any google search I do just lists pages and pages of car ads.

Both are basically correct the second one gives a more technical answer.

Put your foot down, it starts up with the engine Put it down harder it gives more boost up to a certain point as said and then starts to drop off.

The secret is to keep it in the optimum revs to get the most out of it.

Push it to hard too long and you will need to read the DSG problem thread ROFL

Google "torque curve for XXXX motor"

Lucas_R
09-05-2013, 06:50 PM
The turbo boost pressure is related to both throttle input combined with rpm. More throttle input = more air the engine is sucking in, using to spin the turbo, and then blowing out the exhaust. If you drive down the road at 70kph in 2nd gear (constant speed and light throttle just to maintain speed) you will be doing somewhere around 5000rpm or so, but the turbo will be producing no boost (or a very small amount). But if you then floor the throttle you will feel the engine and car surge forward - now the turbo is making plenty of boost because of your heavy throttle input.

If you drive around at low rpm and with very light throttle input (like a grandma) then the turbo wont be doing much.

If you floor it from a standstill, then at around 2,000rpm or so you will feel the engine really start to get moving. The turbo in your car makes maximum boost at around 3,000rpm and then it tapers off as you approach the redline.

If you cant ear the turbo, thats because VW has tried to block it out with sound deadening etc. If you put your window down and go for a fang im sure you will hear the faint whistle of the turbo. Get an aftermarket intake fitted if you want to really hear it :)

tsybesor
09-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Great, thanks Lucas_R. That's pretty much what I was after.

DoggiesUtd
09-05-2013, 08:33 PM
open windows in an underground carpark
sounds awesome! lol

davodinkum
09-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I sometimes purposely drive with the windows down to hear that whistle from the turbo, even when it's freezing cold!