PDA

View Full Version : Is the satnav option worthwhile?

doubtfull
08-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to get a 90TSI Comfortline with DSG and the driver assist package.

I'd like to have the integrated satnav, but the $950 option price seems very steep especially given the price of standalone units.

Can anyone give feedback on the built-in unit?
Is it significantly better than a high end stand alone system?

Regards,
Jonathan

team_v
08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
The built in unit is beneficial as it gives a readout in the MFD and you don't have to worry about someone breaking in and stealing it or leaving suction rings on your windscreen (which can in itself, lead to break-ins).

I can't say for certain or the newer golf but the RNS510 does not inlcude live traffic updates or up to date maps so in the end a standalone unit will be more functional but not as aesthetic or integrated.

ziggyboy
08-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Hi team_v, I believe that the RNS510 cannot process Australian traffic updates (SUNA) unless there was a very recent update I am not aware of. The newer Golfs may have them though...

Also, I don't think anyone steals GPS units anymore as they are so cheap.

Hillbilly
08-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Unless the maps have significantly improved over V6 I would save your money and buy a portable unit.

Far, far better and map updates every 3 months against VW once a year with 2 year old maps.

No proper text to speech Says "turn here" instead of "turn into Smith st" If next turn is more than about 30k away it says " Stay on this road for a very long time" How wonderful is that.

No ability to select fastest or shortest route No traffic as said No speed shown on screen so you cant compare how fast your speedo is (usually 7kph at 100kph)

Lack of named streets in V6 has been complained about in map mode.

Need I go on.

Only $950 Lucky you Mine was $3500 with RVC in 2011 Absolute waste of money.

wai
08-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Only $950 Lucky you Mine was $3500 with RVC in 2011 Absolute waste of money.

I was going to say that.

When I bought my Caddy Maxi Life in 2011, it was $4,500 for the RNS-510 to replace the RCD-310. Then on top of that, it was a further $450 for the Bluetooth (the one that stuck out of the dash). I turned it down.

I now have an ANS-610 for just over $600. I figured I could replace it 8 times over and would still have a few dollars to spare.

By the way, the $4,500 did NOT include the RVC. That was almost an additional $1,000.

Hillbilly
08-05-2013, 06:29 PM
I was going to say that.

When I bought my Caddy Maxi Life in 2011, it was $4,500 for the RNS-510 to replace the RCD-310. Then on top of that, it was a further $450 for the Bluetooth (the one that stuck out of the dash). I turned it down.

I now have an ANS-610 for just over $600. I figured I could replace it 8 times over and would still have a few dollars to spare.

By the way, the $4,500 did NOT include the RVC. That was almost an additional $1,000. I tell a lie Mine was $3600 with Park assist 2 and RVC

Have used Park assist ONCE in 2 years. Car was specced up Wife bought it for my birthday or I would have got a lesser model ROFL

Wonder what I will get this year May take a trip to the Audi dealers LOL

wai
08-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Have used Park assist ONCE in 2 years.

Actually I am waiting for owners to get stuck into vehicle manufacturers over park assist.

By law you are required to leave a gap of at least 1 m to the car in front and the one at the rear. This means you need a space of at least 2 m longer than the car. Manufacturers who offer park assist let an acceptable space be identified when it is as little as 800 mm longer than the car. They seem to try and out do each other by saying theirs can park in smaller and smaller spaces, all the while it is drivers who accept the space identified by park assist who will end up with the fine.

One reason more fines are not issued is because it is the "last" driver who has to be fined, and the parking patrol has difficulty identifying the offender. I suppose with more CCTV it will be easier and then watch the parking patrol kick into gear :-)

Amalgam
08-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I have to agree with the other posters that an inbuilt GPS is a waste of money.

Disadvantages:
1/ Map upgrades are estimated at $199. Free on most portable units.
2/ Not as advanced as portable units. Less or inferior features.
3/ $950 vs $250
4/ As posted above, how often do you really need your GPS. Me, once every 2 years and normally when I am interstate or overseas in a hire car and you can't bring your inbuilt unit along :facepalm:

Advantages of inbuilt unit:
1/ Intergrated look. No suction cup.
2/ Less sercurity risk for theft. But at from $99 are portable units a real theft item??

We bought our Passat last July and purposely waited to get a car without GPS. :banana:

FSI 220
08-05-2013, 08:34 PM
We bought our Passat last July and purposely waited to get a car without GPS. :banana:

Lucky you didn't wait too long...otherwise you'd be stuffed (TIC) :cookie:

Ryan_R
09-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Happy with my RNS510 ($1100 from eBay). I rarely use navigation but just about always have the Map screen on. It's one thing to know where I'm going, but if I'm stuck in traffic I might see a few side-streets to link up a nice shortcut, or seeing points of interest while driving, plus I like the integrated look. Trouble with the standard GPS for me years ago was the amount of time and kerfuffle getting them fastened, powered, and navigating IF you happened to have it in the car when you needed it. Of course these days Google Maps on your phone more than does the job if the built in maps aren't sufficient.

I'd get them again, in fact I'm hoping the GTI is available with the Pro system with Google Earth maps. Of course we're yet to find out how much that would cost if it's available, we only know it's not (currently) an option for the Highline and below.

wai
09-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Satnav is useful, however once you have been to the same place a few times, it is not necessary to get turn by turn instructions.

The iGo Primo software with the ANS-610 is great as it gives you reasonably accurate speed warnings, and if you are travelling much slower than the posted limit on a road, it asks you if you want to try an alternative route because of congestion. It is also good to just have it on when travelling in rural areas as it gives you good advanced warning of up coming things like intersections and the like.

The other thing is that you can explore alternative routes.

So, all up satnav is good, just that the price of the OEM unit is not good value. It is not just the purchase price, but the ongoing cost of mapping. With the ones you stick on the windscreen, if you don't have one with lifetime mapping, there is no point in purchasing just updated maps. You may as well buy a new unit altogether. It is tremendously wasteful of resources however.

Ryan_R
09-05-2013, 09:21 PM
You realise this thread is in the Mk7 Golf forum? ;)

Hillbilly
09-05-2013, 09:44 PM
You realise this thread is in the Mk7 Golf forum? ;)

I think he is following on from his prev post spruiking the ANS

My question is why would it suggest an alternative route solely on speed.

When in the USA my TomTom did that but used the Traffic updates to do it not the fact I was under the speed limit.

The RNS does alternative routes but they are a pain in themselves, also does the same in the country. Does it give you free maps or do you have to buy them like most others.

Thats one thing, I havent bought an update in 2 years, either dealer updated it for me or I got one on here.
Hopefully the Golf 7 Nav version has improved somewhat

cktsi
10-05-2013, 07:11 AM
i would say if you are not going to buy OEM at least install a genuine after market down the track.

Thats said i paid 950 for an aftermarket rns510 so i would personally pay. Relatively speaking VW have shapened the pencil.

Plus side
- your car tracks your position underground. Big boon in unfamiliar underground car parks. Very cool feature in tunnels
- If satellite is lost signal is picked up v quickly.
- Way larger screen

Negatives.
- Hmmm.. One portable unit i use zooms in on the next turn then zooms out automatically. Dont know if this is a negative but rns miyht not have some of the finer functions that portable units have

I vote get the integrated nav

pologti18t
10-05-2013, 02:01 PM
The way it probably should be done can be seen in new Holden models. The ICE has a touch screen that uses an App/WiFi/Bluetooth to communicate to your smartphone for navigation. Navigation is displayed on the bigger screen but most of the grunt is provided by your smartphone.

team_v
10-05-2013, 02:08 PM
The way it probably should be done can be seen in new Holden models. The ICE has a touch screen that uses an App/WiFi/Bluetooth to communicate to your smartphone for navigation. Navigation is displayed on the bigger screen but most of the grunt is provided by your smartphone.

The problem is that if you drive on a long-ish trip you have to have the phone on bluetooth and utilising mobile data which impacts battery life and plan costs.

Hillbilly
10-05-2013, 02:08 PM

I'll ask the question

What do the people do who dont have a smartphone or as in my case dont have a data allocation on my Iphone

Ryan_R
10-05-2013, 02:58 PM
They drive older cars, or cheaper cars, or don't tick the option for all the extra tech, or they just ignore the tech and stick a TomTom to the windscreen. (I think that's covered most bases) :)

How long have smart phones and phone plans with bundled data been around for? I know I've had it for over 6 years (before the first iPhone came out) on my first smart phone (Nokia N96). Even those I know who preferred rugarrised simple phones that would survive a bit of abuse have switched. Just checked Telstra Prepaid and even that comes with data.

And of course keep in mind Google Maps can download offline maps over WiFi (https://support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2650377&topic=2649131&ctx=topic), and there are other navigation apps (http://www.sygic.com/en) with offline maps and more comprehensive offline features (even GPS manufacturers have phone apps). I don't see any problem offering the tech, there will always be those who choose to ignore it for as long as possible (digital TV for example).

team_v
10-05-2013, 02:58 PM
I'll ask the question

What do the people do who dont have a smartphone or as in my case dont have a data allocation on my Iphone

Also, what do you do when you need to get to out of the way locations such as my trip to Carnarvon Gorge (no 3g network capabilities but the RNS510 worked fine)

I shouldn't have to upgrade my personal phone or pay extra per month for my plan just so i can get my OEM ICE to operate effectively.

pologti18t
10-05-2013, 03:14 PM
The problem is that if you drive on a long-ish trip you have to have the phone on bluetooth and utilising mobile data which impacts battery life and plan costs.

1. You have an in car charger for your phone or it powers itself via connection to ICE via USB port.
2. You preload the maps at home if required for a long trip.
3. Most plans nowadays have at least 1GB included.

Also, what do you do when you need to get to out of the way locations such as my trip to Carnarvon Gorge (no 3g network capabilities but the RNS510 worked fine)

Preload at home.. Do you really think sat nav units (OEM or Tom Tom) are really what is required when travelling outback?

team_v
10-05-2013, 03:25 PM
1. You have an in car charger for your phone or it powers itself via connection to ICE via USB port.
2. You preload the maps at home if required for a long trip.
3. Most plans nowadays have at least 1GB included.

[/COLOR]
Preload at home.. Do you really think sat nav units (OEM or Tom Tom) are really what is required when travelling outback?

Why go to all that effort though when the RNS510 does everything i need without all those hassels?
It should be left as is rather than having to tether to a device with a pre-loaded map.

Plus i would have to pay more for a 1GB phone plan just to use my GPS once per month and buy a car charger which i don't need now.

Ryan_R
10-05-2013, 03:31 PM
You don't *need* data for phone apps that have offline maps (just download them at home like you would when updating a traditional portable GPS). There's no point buying more hardware (portable GPS) if you already have a touch screen device with a GPS chip inside. Just download an offline navigation app (I linked to one in my last post), buy the maps (unlimited free upgrades), download them, and you're set. Get a cheapo universal phone holder for your car if you need one and use the car charger.

Having said that, I'd still prefer the in-car integration which is why I have the RNS510 (amongst other reasons). But I have 1GB data with Telstra 4G on my phone which is a good supplement. I can check how much data each app uses on my phone, so far Google Maps as used 17.1mb in the last 27 days (I have live traffic conditions turned on which would be the main reason for this amount since I have most of S.E. Melbourne stored offline). By way of comparison I've used 200mb downloading podcasts to listen to on the train, 73mb of YouTube streaming, 57mb of Internet Radio, and 40mb of general Internet browsing.

pologti18t
10-05-2013, 06:42 PM
BringGo

BringGo (http://bringgo.com/about/bringgo_introduction.html)

Cuthbert
10-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Pologti18t, does Bringgo work with the Golf 7's Composition Media system?

Or does it only work with Chevys and Barinas etc?

It would be a great solution if it did. I hope that one day we will be able to 'mirror' Google Maps through our Golf Media screen.

Ryan_R
10-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Looks interesting but says the head unit has to specifically support their profile (sounds like in most cases you'd be buying the phone app and a custom head unit), so I doubt you'd see it work with the Mk7 HU (not that we know a lot about it yet).

You might also be interested in scrolling down in this thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/panasonic-realvnc-phone-mirroring-car-82752.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cNSKRz3gIcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XcAirRKffwg

And before you ask, I've got no idea :)

doubtfull
14-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I'd just like to thank everyone for their comments and opinions.

I've ended up ordering without the satnav.

Regards,

Hillbilly
14-05-2013, 11:38 AM
I'd just like to thank everyone for their comments and opinions.

I've ended up ordering without the satnav.

Regards, Sensible You can then buy the latest model from the Sponsor on here for bout $1180 which is far cheaper than from a Stealer

Golf7
14-05-2013, 12:14 PM
The satnav was useless at that price, well done! Now spend the money on a nice break from work! :)

FSI 220
15-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Sensible You can then buy the latest model from the Sponsor on here for bout $1180 which is far cheaper than from a Stealer

Huh?, it is $950 factory installed (page one, first post this thread) Which I think for a factory installed/integrated unit is pretty good to option up a lower grade car...

inlcuded (such as in the passats) is better (obviously)... but try and add it to a multivan and you are well over 3k...

Guy_H
15-05-2013, 02:19 PM
The new nav system is fantastic & worth every cent, I get to drive a few of the bigger Audi's with the MMI system & this new Golf setup is great - its so far ahead of the RNS510 (that cost ~ 3k) it's not funny.

Ryan_R
15-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Good to hear. Any specifics that stand out?

Guy_H
15-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Everything Ryan! - too much to list, its so integrated as well - all the functions are now in one place. You even turn traction control off through it (no longer a switch). All the vehicle & chassis / lighting settings are seamless, speed zones, 3D stuff - new cluster & advanced multi-lane direction in front of you.

Like I said, too much. Spend a couple of hours in one, i jump back in my Golf 6 with RNS510 and it now feels "vintage"

Ryan_R
15-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Cool, I figured the system would be better but perhaps the same ol map data would be a limiting factor. That said, the RNS510 (with latest software) also has (inaccurate) speed limit data and advanced lane guidance. Digging through HU menus to access stuff also sounds like a bigger distraction compared to having access to those settings on the MFD, and more of a risk of passengers changing something if you jump out of the car to refuel or something.

The_Hawk
15-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Everything Ryan! - too much to list, its so integrated as well - all the functions are now in one place. You even turn traction control off through it (no longer a switch). All the vehicle & chassis / lighting settings are seamless, speed zones, 3D stuff - new cluster & advanced multi-lane direction in front of you.

Like I said, too much. Spend a couple of hours in one, i jump back in my Golf 6 with RNS510 and it now feels "vintage"

That sounds good... it's not like it could get much more basic than what has been offered in the RNS for so long. I've had many rants on how inferior just about all built in factory units are compared to $99 windscreen mounted jobs, hopefully this is a step in the right direction (and continues rather than being left to rot).

doubtfull
16-05-2013, 07:17 AM
It is good to hear (apart from already having ordered without one) that the new satnav is a great improvement on the previous one.

It does still strike me that options like these must be very high margin items for Volkswagen. I mean the display is there already as must be most of the processing hardware. Just need to add a GPS chip and a software license which would cost well under $100 per unit. Plus a little software modification and you're done.

I'm not saying the dealers or maybe even VWA do well from these, but VW must love getting orders.

pologti18t
16-05-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm not saying the dealers or maybe even VWA do well from these, but VW must love getting orders.

How much are the optional factory sat navs for other makes? Perhaps thats a better representation of the cost effectiveness of the VW option.

FSI 220
16-05-2013, 08:16 PM
all the functions are now in one place. You even turn traction control off through it (no longer a switch).

Thats no good... currently launch control is a fluid ,"S" - TC Button -Rev - Dump...:shades: instead we will be interrogating our head units....:facepalm:

Wrinkles66
28-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I have just purchased a 2013 Series 7 TDI Highline with factory fitted satnav as a standard option. I have also been a long time user of Garmin portable GPS devices.

While I like the way the satnav has been integrated into the car and have found the driver interface simple to use and intuitive, at this stage, the actual navigation function does not work as well as my $300 Garmin unit.

The main problem appears to be that the algorithm used to work out the pronunciation of street names is very poor and we have had frequent problems understanding what is said, even for the streets we know close to home. The system also attempts to pronounce the abbreviations for St, Rd, Blvd, Crt, Crcl, etc as they are written rather than in full making them completely unintelligible.

Then there are the ones we are still trying to work out - ‘please take the second exit then follow the road wern’??????? I hope these are only software issues that will be addressed in future updates but at the moment, they affect the functionality of the factory fitted satnav.

Hillbilly
28-06-2013, 07:12 PM
I have just purchased a 2013 Series 7 TDI Highline with factory fitted satnav as a standard option. I have also been a long time user of Garmin portable GPS devices.

While I like the way the satnav has been integrated into the car and have found the driver interface simple to use and intuitive, at this stage, the actual navigation function does not work as well as my $300 Garmin unit.

The main problem appears to be that the algorithm used to work out the pronunciation of street names is very poor and we have had frequent problems understanding what is said, even for the streets we know close to home. The system also attempts to pronounce the abbreviations for St, Rd, Blvd, Crt, Crcl, etc as they are written rather than in full making them completely unintelligible.

Then there are the ones we are still trying to work out - ‘please take the second exit then follow the road wern’??????? I hope these are only software issues that will be addressed in future updates but at the moment, they affect the functionality of the factory fitted satnav.

SO you are finding out how bad the Navigation actually is.
Its always early with its instructions and you are not up to where it thinks you are I have never been able to adjust this.
Do you like the "Stay on this road for a very long time." Turn now 25m BEFORE the corner. The fact that the maps are about 18 months out of date when we get them. The Text to speech is abysmal as most portable units will say "turn left into Smith St" VW says turn left in 200m Then turn now.
Is disgusting for the price.
Would never have had one except it was in the car when I bought it.

pologti18t
29-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Was that instruction for a roundabout?

Nauend
30-06-2013, 06:51 AM
I bought the 103TSI, and agree the integration of the satnav is great. It displays information in the centre of the instrument display as well as the colour map on the main unit so easier to stay on track. The main unit also displays the name of the street you are on at all times which is handy. Like all satnavs, it's a bit clumsy at times with street name pronunciation. Timing of announcements seems fine to me.

Would I pay just for the satnav upgrade? Nope. A $75 unit from Aldi is sufficient - I bought one of these when the satnav in my ford died out of warranty - choice of $2400 to fix the ford or $75 for the Aldi unit which is a no brainer decision (aldi also had spoken street names which the ford didnt), and same applies to high specs units from Garman, tomtom etc. They also go portable if you need them which is fairly difficult with the inbuilt!

Ryan_R
30-06-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm just a bit curious... doesn't almost everyone have a modern smartphone (mostly IOS or Android) these days with a data plan (pretty much all post-paid plans have 1-2GB these days)? The reason I ask is that Google Maps is otherwise free and excellent (you can download a large portion of maps for offline viewing as well, although you need a connection when you first ask for directions). If you have the phone paired via bluetooth you hear the voice through the car stereo. Also when you arrive at your destination the phone shows the place you're looking for (StreetView). Live traffic conditions are also shown.

Or if you want the proper offline experience you can buy an IOS/Android app called Sygic which is similar to TomTom/Garmins.

Basically I don't get why some buy portable navigation devices (PNDs) when they already have one. :)

I have a pretty good sense of direction and often just leave my RNS510 on the maps screen without navigation (otherwise use voice control to enter a destination) but I do find Google Maps a great supplement when looking for things like shops, etc where I don't know the address. I have a Galaxy S3 4G on the Telstra network with 1.5GB of data. I'm an IT guy and use data a fair bit but never get close to the limit (just use an app to measure your usage and alert you - I use Onavo for Android).

Hillbilly
30-06-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm just a bit curious... doesn't almost everyone have a modern smartphone (mostly IOS or Android) these days with a data plan (pretty much all post-paid plans have 1-2GB these days)? The reason I ask is that Google Maps is otherwise free and excellent (you can download a large portion of maps for offline viewing as well, although you need a connection when you first ask for directions). If you have the phone paired via bluetooth you hear the voice through the car stereo. Also when you arrive at your destination the phone shows the place you're looking for (StreetView). Live traffic conditions are also shown.

Or if you want the proper offline experience you can buy an IOS/Android app called Sygic which is similar to TomTom/Garmins.

Basically I don't get why some buy portable navigation devices (PNDs) when they already have one. :)

I have a pretty good sense of direction and often just leave my RNS510 on the maps screen without navigation (otherwise use voice control to enter a destination) but I do find Google Maps a great supplement when looking for things like shops, etc where I don't know the address. I have a Galaxy S3 4G on the Telstra network with 1.5GB of data. I'm an IT guy and use data a fair bit but never get close to the limit (just use an app to measure your usage and alert you - I use Onavo for Android).

Then there are those of us who use a phone for making phone calls and not much else. I have an Iphone but dont have any data on it at all.

Only have it cos it was free.

Am quite happy to use it as I do and not worry about fancy things on it. It does have Google maps on it and Whereis but havent bothered with them much.

The RNS 510 would be a good unit if they would put some decent navigation software in it. As others have said an $75 Aldi unit has very good text to speech but the 510 sucks bigtime in that area. Cant be too hard to do it proprely surely

tonymy01
30-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Replying to Ryan's post:
This then means you can't listen to the radio, or use the head unit usb/hdd if you use Bluetooth. But yes,I mix my navigating between the rns and phone too depending on my mood. I have a Brodit vent mount and a charging mount for my Note 2 in landscape (because in portrait this phone is huuge) so have a near rns screen size just above the rns :)
I guess you could argue that most would have their fave music collection on the phone these days anyway.

But also remember most states have very high penalties these days for handling your mobile phone whilst the engine is running (because let's face it, everyone once in their life will experience a heavily "experienced" 21 year old rookie cop arguing that despite being stuck in a 2 min traffic light sequence, that you touched your phone could have killed that bus load of young school children there).
Sometimes it is definitely handy googling something and just hitting "navigate"though, so I do mix my navigation between Google, the slightly paid for Samsung Navigon (it has traffic and camera warnings) and the rns depending on situation.
But very few people would have their phones nicely mounted like I have.. one thing that does peeve me is seeing super bright portable navigation units smack in front on the drivers vision, blocking a good part of the forward view. I tried widescreen mounting my phone somewhere, there is nowhere to put it that isn't severely limiting visibility where it counts,I.e cars/people/cyclists coming from side streets..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
edit:grr,what looked like an edit option in 4 beta was a quote option.. sorry for double post. I hate icons that don't explain what they do in phone apps now, e.g copy/paste...icons all look nearly the same for select all, copy and paste now... can lose a big wad of something I was planning to copy by pasting over it..

pologti18t
01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
VW needs it's own version of GM's MyLink. That uses your smartphone as the data source and processing grunt for Sat Nav and displays the result on the cars AV screen.

dubstyle
04-07-2013, 03:35 PM
So you're willing to spend $1300ish on driver assistance but not get SatNav. I'd get both if I was you. The type of market that you are appealing to when it comes time to sell it with Driver assistance will also demand integrated Satnav.

however it may just be worth paying a bit extra and getting the 103TSi Highline.

Finance_Analyst
10-07-2013, 07:01 PM
So you're willing to spend $1300ish on driver assistance but not get SatNav. I'd get both if I was you. The type of market that you are appealing to when it comes time to sell it with Driver assistance will also demand integrated Satnav.

however it may just be worth paying a bit extra and getting the 103TSi Highline.

The additional cost won't ever be recouped come sale time. Sure may make it more appealing but you can't get $ for $ back - just like metallic paint.