PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav Sd Cards

nick118
07-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I picked up my 103 Highline the other day and found that the Sat Nav Sd card was not with the car.
The dealer said that they will have to order it from VW and they are unsure when it will arrive.
I was wondering if any other new onwers have had the same problem? if so how long did it take to solve?

Golf7
07-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I picked up my 103 Highline the other day and found that the Sat Nav Sd card was not with the car.
The dealer said that they will have to order it from VW and they are unsure when it will arrive.
I was wondering if any other new onwers have had the same problem? if so how long did it take to solve?

That's shocking! As the good you purchased does not fulfil its intended purpose, you ought to demand some compensation under the Trade Practices Act. At least get some money back to be honest. Very poor form VW! One of the main features of the Highline is that SD card that has the maps, turning the radio into a sat-nab, you ought to have it there straight away!

Hillbilly
07-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Hi Guys,

Arent they like the Touareg and you have to take it back to the dealer to do map updates and they dont release the Sd "Key" card

nick118
07-05-2013, 02:23 PM
No apperently the maps are now installed on an SD card and the Sat Nav will not work with out it.

ian
07-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Does that mean you can't play music from a SD card and use the GPS at the same time, or can you install the maps to the Hard Drive . or music ?

nick118
07-05-2013, 02:39 PM
The cars fitted with Sat Nav have two SD card slots, one for the Sat Nav and one for music.

Mkj
07-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi Guys,

Hi Nick,
I picked up my 103TSI Highline also without the satnav sd card on April 23 as they were apparently not then in Australia. I was obviously very happy to take the car home without satnav rather than wait for it to arrive! My dealer then rang to call just less than a week later to say that it had arrived and I picked it up that same day. So it shouldn't take too long!

I also asked my dealer about the voice control, as it wasn't working in my car. They contacted VW Australia and apparently VW made a mistake in the brochure specification- voice control is not available in the Australian market.

How are you finding the car so far?

Golf7
07-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Hi Nick,
I picked up my 103TSI Highline also without the satnav sd card on April 23 as they were apparently not then in Australia. I was obviously very happy to take the car home without satnav rather than wait for it to arrive! My dealer then rang to call just less than a week later to say that it had arrived and I picked it up that same day. So it shouldn't take too long!

I also asked my dealer about the voice control, as it wasn't working in my car. They contacted VW Australia and apparently VW made a mistake in the brochure specification- voice control is not available in the Australian market.

Very poor form VW Australia!

Mkj
07-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Yes I am quite disappointed. The voice control button in Australia just acts as a mute button and it clearly said in the brochure that voice control was standard! Another publishing mistake.

nick118
07-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Hi Nick,

Good to hear, I was worried that I would be waiting a while for it when I just want to try it out!

So far so good, I am very happy with the car, still getting use to the dsg gearbox and the stop-start but all in all I have no complaints. I love the look and the interior is just a nice place to be especially at night with the led lighting. Our other car is a 118 and I find the performance very similar but sometimes I do miss that twin charge engine!

How are you finding your one mate?

Ryan_R
07-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Given that button can easily be changed between voice control and mute in the Mk6 using VCDS, that might be a simple fix later one when Ross-Tech get their hands on a Mk7 and document the new control modules.

I'd think the SD shortage would only be a problem for a short amount of time and shouldn't be ongoing in the months to come. I don't really like the idea of maps on an SD card - more chance of it disappearing.

spikeyboy22
07-05-2013, 10:41 PM

By your shock I take it you have never owned a vw or had to deal with there dealers believe me they are all shocking..

ziggyboy
08-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Might be a bit off topic but some VW dealerships are part of parent companies that own dealerships of other car brands. The one I go to in Canberra even share the same service workshops with their other dealerships. However I have heard more bad things about their VW team than the other ones they run. This brings me to ask whether it is a dealership thing, or a VW thing...

When I owned a Toyota for 5 years in Sydney I have gone to 3 different Toyota dealerships for service. I don't remember having any sort of problems with any of them at all. The notion that VW dealerships are shocking may be an effect of how VW has trained them. If dealerships are asked to react a certain way to problems then that's what they will do. A dealership refusing to fix a problem or saying there is no problem (when in fact there is), may not be of their own doing but rather as instructed by VW Australia.

I find it too convenient if VW Australia blamed their dealer network for its problems.

boris
08-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Good to hear, I was worried that I would be waiting a while for it when I just want to try it out!

So far so good, I am very happy with the car, still getting use to the dsg gearbox and the stop-start but all in all I have no complaints. I love the look and the interior is just a nice place to be especially at night with the led lighting. Our other car is a 118 and I find the performance very similar but sometimes I do miss that twin charge engine!

How are you finding your one mate?

HI Guys,

The car comes already allocated the SD card automatically if it has the sat nav option.

If the dealer hasnt given it to you they either forgot to order it against the car or dont understand the procedure.

Cheers,

Boris

nick118
14-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring this up again but I am still getting the run around from my dealer over this SD card. Apperently they still haven't arrived and 10 days have now passed since I have picked up the car. I need to know if any sat nav onwers have received the SD card or they getting the same story. I'm tring to work out how to respond to the dealer and just need to get some information.

Cheers

buzuki
14-05-2013, 04:54 PM
our latest order for sat nav sd took 5 days

Golf7
14-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring this up again but I am still getting the run around from my dealer over this SD card. Apperently they still haven't arrived and 10 days have now passed since I have picked up the car. I need to know if any sat nav onwers have received the SD card or they getting the same story. I'm tring to work out how to respond to the dealer and just need to get some information.

Cheers

Hey,

I know the feeling, get your awesome new car but... There's one massive stain on your new shirt...Ask for some compensation, you have the right legally under consumer law, assuming you're in Queensland's jurisdiction...

Guy_H
15-05-2013, 02:16 PM
My new car had the card in the slot & the official box in the glovebox.

BumbleBeetle66
16-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Hey,

I know the feeling, get your awesome new car but... There's one massive stain on your new shirt...Ask for some compensation, you have the right legally under consumer law, assuming you're in Queensland's jurisdiction...

You do realise that the dealers are the ones who are meant to order the SD cards and supply them with the vehicle upon sale!

BumbleBeetle66
16-05-2013, 02:05 PM
My new car had the card in the slot & the official box in the glovebox.

Clearly Guy_H had a dealer who knew what they were doing!

Ryan_R
16-05-2013, 04:11 PM
If I had to guess what's going to happen - Nick (the OP) will keep pestering the dealer, the dealer will just grab a car from another car, then repeat the process with the person who buys that car, and so on. Eventually they might get the additional SD card.

dubstyle
25-05-2013, 08:42 AM
I had the same problem.

Apparently there werent any in the country and had to be ordered in. I waited about 2 weeks for mine. Dealer gave me a full tank of fuel when I went back to pick it up to say sorry for the inconvenience and I didnt even ask for it.

Wim37
28-05-2013, 01:18 AM
I collected my 110TDI last Thursday (23/05/13) from Austral in Brisbane and it had the SD card for navigation in it. I've looked at the maps but not had to use the system so far. It's disappointing that the Voice mode doesn't work in Australia and also DAB is missing here. I did notice that there were a number of items in the pre-delivery sheet that were not ticked or crossed out. Who knows if they were done? Also there was a sheet I was asked to sign about all the things they were supposed to do at delivery. Quite a few of those items were not done either. Emailed them to complain but absolutely no response. Seems typical but they do state they are trying to be the best dealer in Australia. They have a very long way to go unless the others are very bad.

chrisarmstro
02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Collected my 103TSI Highline on Wednesday, dealer delivery guy had the SD card ready to go so it looks like the supply of the SD cards may have caught up to the number of cars.

Hillbilly
02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I collected my 110TDI last Thursday (23/05/13) from Austral in Brisbane and it had the SD card for navigation in it. I've looked at the maps but not had to use the system so far. It's disappointing that the Voice mode doesn't work in Australia and also DAB is missing here. .

DAB doesnt work because it is different to the Aussie system which is DAB+ and it wouldnt be worth producing special units which would work

night_flight
04-06-2013, 03:20 AM
I collected my 110TDI last Thursday (23/05/13) from Austral in Brisbane and it had the SD card for navigation in it. I've looked at the maps but not had to use the system so far. It's disappointing that the Voice mode doesn't work in Australia and also DAB is missing here. I did notice that there were a number of items in the pre-delivery sheet that were not ticked or crossed out. Who knows if they were done? Also there was a sheet I was asked to sign about all the things they were supposed to do at delivery. Quite a few of those items were not done either. Emailed them to complain but absolutely no response. Seems typical but they do state they are trying to be the best dealer in Australia. They have a very long way to go unless the others are very bad.
why doesn't voice control work? it works on my unit

chrisarmstro
04-06-2013, 01:39 PM
why doesn't voice control work? it works on my unit

Really? How'd you get it to work?

night_flight
04-06-2013, 02:00 PM
i have 9wz bluetooth (mic retrofitted) and rns510H version.. I think the H version has this capability...i guess it depends what version of RNS you got...
bought mine from here
https://jku.com.au/vw-parts/rns-510-p-led-2013-v6-maps-1t0035680p.html

chrisarmstro
04-06-2013, 02:27 PM
i have 9wz bluetooth (mic retrofitted) and rns510H version.. I think the H version has this capability...i guess it depends what version of RNS you got...
bought mine from here
https://jku.com.au/vw-parts/rns-510-p-led-2013-v6-maps-1t0035680p.html

ohhhh the RNS510 voice control!

the discover media in the new MK7 golf has a voice control button but it's been disabled in the australian market by the looks of it. theres no more rns nav in the new golfs

night_flight
04-06-2013, 04:14 PM
ohhhh the RNS510 voice control!

the discover media in the new MK7 golf has a voice control button but it's been disabled in the australian market by the looks of it. theres no more rns nav in the new golfs

I am not sure for the new mk7 what the situation is, but I have read somewhere VW will not be pursuing with VOICE control anymore they are giving this option to Apple, Goolgle and so on...so my guess is that VW doesn't want to invest $ into Voice control but rather integrate it with Apple's siri or google now...

VUU
04-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Yep can confirm the Voice button does nada in my Mk 103TSI Highline. Anyone got the traffic button to work on the Discover Media?

chrisarmstro
06-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Anyone got the traffic button to work on the Discover Media?

As far as I know, that button does nothing in Australia either. I think it has something to do with the licensing/decoding of our traffic updates.

Ratstylz
14-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Yep can confirm the Voice button does nada in my Mk 103TSI Highline. Anyone got the traffic button to work on the Discover Media?

The Voice can be turned on via VAS pc.

lux_tv
12-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Hi everyone,

Is it true that the SD card is linked to the car? I am still waiting for mine to be delivered from the dealer my car originated from but am getting increasingly impatient

Brew69
13-04-2014, 05:41 AM
Poor form. Mine came with the car when I picked it up. It comes in a case similar to a dvd case.

DV52
13-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Poor form. Mine came with the car when I picked it up. It comes in a case similar to a dvd case.

Brew69. Did you pick-up your car recently? Do you have an my14 series Golf? I'm interested to know if our friends at VW Australia (or more accuratley, their contractors SENSIS) have released an upgrade for the SAT NAV maps on the mk7. I understand that a new version of Aust. maps was recently released for the mk6 and I'm hoping that the same progress has been made with the mk7.
Is the versioning data on your "DVD case" the same as in the pic below?

Idle
13-04-2014, 10:39 AM
My CD wasn't in a case, but already in the slot. I doubt that it's linked to the actual car, but is somehow linked to the system — you can make a copy quite easily, but it won't work.

In Europe ( and presumably here?) a card that can be copied to is available from dealers — probably at a highly inflated price.

In that area map updates can also be freely downloaded and written to the CD — bet it won't happen here...

@DV52 — The Discover Media maps are, so far as I know, not from Sensis but from some outfit in Central Europe.

armthehomeless
22-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Just got the Golf R Mk 7 and the TP button works if you turn it on. It even puts traffic incidents on the maps for you and reroutes you around traffic

flight
23-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Just got the Golf R Mk 7 and the TP button works if you turn it on. It even puts traffic incidents on the maps for you and reroutes you around traffic

How do you turn it on?

armthehomeless
23-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Go into radio settings and enable it and RDS. That's all I did

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

readerr0r
23-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Go into radio settings and enable it and RDS. That's all I did

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd be very interested in scanning your car with my VCDS cable once I get my Octavia!

n0d3
23-04-2014, 02:08 PM
I can confirm I have traffic reports on mine as well.

flight
23-04-2014, 04:03 PM
I can confirm I have traffic reports on mine as well.

I have read somewhere that if you have traffic working, it is likely to stop working when the car is first serviced and the software gets updated. This seems to mean you need to enjoy it while you can. However, somebody with VCDS may be able to see how to reactivate traffic if you let them have a look before it gets deactivated.

Any views on this?

flight
23-04-2014, 04:25 PM
I just found the reference to Traffic being disabled on service. Have a look at pages 3 and 4 of this forum/thread.

Mk VII Navigation (http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?17996-Mk-VII-Navigation)

wasabiz
23-04-2014, 04:35 PM
There's a new update on the discover media, I got mine updated upon delivery :( and the traffic func didn't work from the start. I think they're gonna reintroduce it at a later date with a wee bit of $$$

armthehomeless
23-04-2014, 05:04 PM
I just found the reference to Traffic being disabled on service. Have a look at pages 3 and 4 of this forum/thread.

Mk VII Navigation (http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?17996-Mk-VII-Navigation)

I only read:

Which means that if you have it, you can expect it to be disabled by VW during your next service.

I'm still hoping it doesn't!

armthehomeless
23-04-2014, 05:07 PM
I'll take some pics or videos of it working tonight.

I'll also see if I can remember how I enabled it.

armthehomeless
23-04-2014, 08:22 PM
As promised...a video tour of the traffic working on the Mk 7 Golf R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWCbPxR9K00

n0d3
23-04-2014, 11:01 PM
I have read somewhere that if you have traffic working, it is likely to stop working when the car is first serviced and the software gets updated. This seems to mean you need to enjoy it while you can. However, somebody with VCDS may be able to see how to reactivate traffic if you let them have a look before it gets deactivated.

Any views on this?

Seems kinda silly...I mean the whole Discover system isn't that fantastic + they already deprived us of having the option of the Pro. Don't see why they keep taking features away for no apparent reason.

Flipper
23-04-2014, 11:09 PM
The traffic works on my GTI, December build, I don't see how they could just turn it off at a service consumer affairs might have something to say about removing features from a car someone already owns.

vk6tnc
24-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Looking at the information providers website (click link below) I doubt VW would try to charge extra for this...

SUNA Compatible Devices | Suna Traffic (http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/suna-compatible-devices/)

readerr0r
24-04-2014, 06:47 AM
The traffic works on my GTI, December build, I don't see how they could just turn it off at a service consumer affairs might have something to say about removing features from a car someone already owns.

I think the updates end up wiping the key and the dealers don't know any better.

If there are any Brisbane Mk7 owners with functioning traffic let me know, I would like to look at the settings via VCDS. That way when people lose it they can just put it back on.

armthehomeless
24-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Could it have something to do with the version of maps on the SD card? Mine came with V2

Ryan_R
24-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I don't think the SUNA license will be found in VCDS - I'd expect it to be a part of the map disc/SD card.

Also when reading through the other thread it sounded more like a sarcastic joke that VW would unwittingly remove the Traffic feature when in for a service, yet others are taking this as a factual experience. :?

sucnip
24-04-2014, 10:41 AM
There is a code in VCDS to set the encryption code for subscription traffic. Mine is set to "1024".

On the other hand, to get traffic to work make sure you enable RDS and then tick the TP or traffic option.

dp

flight
24-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Looking at the information providers website (click link below) I doubt VW would try to charge extra for this...

SUNA Compatible Devices | Suna Traffic (http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/suna-compatible-devices/)

But this SUNA site makes no mention of VW that I could see. Just because some manufacturers include SUNA functionality with their satnavs doesn't mean you can expect it from VW. If it can be switched on by the VW dealer, expect to pay for the "work" of switching it on.

DV52
24-04-2014, 11:25 AM
There is a code in VCDS to set the encryption code for subscription traffic. Mine is set to "1024".

On the other hand, to get traffic to work make sure you enable RDS and then tick the TP or traffic option.

dp

sucnip: Hi. When you refer to "TP". are your referring to the reports that should appear on the Discovery Media screen when the "Traffic" button is pressed? If so, I've been trying to activate this facility for some time (without success) on my my13 series vehicle. On 15-03-2014 (12:09 PM) I posted a few VCDS shots on the thread titled "Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions" and I asked for help in completing the process. I have copied the link below, but my VWW profile is set-up to view the latest thread page first, so I hope that the link works for you

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-4.html

Anyway, I would welcome any advice that you could provide (my suspicion is that I'm entirely on the wrong path). thanks

readerr0r
24-04-2014, 11:34 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-56.html#post1038915 is the post with the instructions.

Interesting that yours is only 1024 sucnip, do you get all the traffic info fine?

DV52
24-04-2014, 11:39 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-56.html#post1038915 is the post with the instructions.

Interesting that yours is only 1024 sucnip, do you get all the traffic info fine?

Reader0r: thanks for the correction. I think that I need to change the viewing sequence on my "Settings" to make it more compatible with those of the other folk here.

readerr0r
24-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Reader0r: thanks for the correction. I think that I need to change the viewing sequence on my "Settings" to make it more compatible with those of the other folk here.

You just copy the link from the number on each post, ie your post is #59, it's just above your Join Date

Brendan_A
26-04-2014, 07:41 PM
When we took delivery of our car last month it came with the version one maps. I contacted my dealer and they agreed to swap it for V2 maps which was really nice.

With v1 maps it could never navigate to a main Street in Brisbane cbd where my wife has to travel to occasional for work and she was very disappointed.

V2 maps installed and now it will navigate to this street and I have a happy wife. :)

Traffic also works on mine.

kennyc
28-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Just picked up the car and i think it is V1 maps. Traffic works on it though.

armthehomeless
28-04-2014, 11:11 AM
You should hit them up for V2.

kennyc
28-04-2014, 11:47 AM
You should hit them up for V2.

I asked the dealer just then, he will get back to me.

Brendan_A
28-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I asked the dealer just then, he will get back to me.

Your car should come with v2 maps being so new.

Dutch77
28-04-2014, 12:22 PM
How does one tell whether they've got V1 or V2 - is there an info screen somewhere, or is it just the booklet etc it comes with as per the thumbnail pic earlier in this thread?

(Sorry if I've missed this elsewhere - didn't have satnav on the Mk6 so not sure how the VW system works)

Brendan_A
28-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Sd card comes in a DVD like case which will have V1 or V2 on front case.

kennyc
28-04-2014, 12:27 PM
How does one tell whether they've got V1 or V2 - is there an info screen somewhere, or is it just the booklet etc it comes with as per the thumbnail pic earlier in this thread?

(Sorry if I've missed this elsewhere - didn't have satnav on the Mk6 so not sure how the VW system works)

The SD comes in a DVD cover and that has V1 written on it.

Dutch77
28-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Sd card comes in a DVD like case which will have V1 or V2 on front case.

Cheers, got the pick up later this week, will be interesting to see what kennyc has given cars came on same boat (although guessing Australian dealers would be adding the local satnav SD card).

buzuki
28-04-2014, 04:53 PM
V1 is for cars pre november 2013 built

V2 from then on.

Brendan i dont know how yours works. They cant be swapped around, it comes up invalid navigation data.

Brendan_A
28-04-2014, 05:43 PM

V2 from then on.

Brendan i dont know how yours works. They cant be swapped around, it comes up invalid navigation data.

My car is December built and should have came with v2, that's why they swapped them over.

It was very easy to do, remove sd card and put in v2 sd and they loaded up and all works fine. :)

kennyc
28-04-2014, 06:40 PM

V2 from then on.

Mine was Feb 14 build...

buzuki
29-04-2014, 05:36 PM
I correct myself, I put a V1 in a golf r today to test and it worked. But V2 in pre nov13 doesnt.

Brendan_A
29-04-2014, 05:56 PM
I correct myself, I put a V1 in a golf r today to test and it worked. But V2 in pre nov13 doesnt.

So how do people with pre nov13 update the maps?

Ryan_R
29-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Most likely by spending some money at the dealer :)

That was the whole point of them switching to the SD-card based system after all, wasn't it?

alanzidane
29-04-2014, 08:30 PM
G'day all, a friend of mine (GeckoZAO) told me that many of the Golf MK7 do not have TMC (Traffic Message Channel) working.

Traffic Information
5F-Adaption, Follow the screen shot. and you have to make sure RDS and TP is enabled in the settings and wait for about 40mins. The traffic report will start come.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/51png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/52-1.jpg

kennyc
29-04-2014, 10:28 PM
My dealer said free updates every service if they have it.

Eaglehawk
29-04-2014, 11:28 PM
I'm thinking that's just sales tactic, but I'll find out in June I guess!

spikeyboy22
30-04-2014, 12:03 AM
My dealer said free updates every service if they have it.

can I ask what dealer?

kennyc
30-04-2014, 08:57 AM
can I ask what dealer?

Barloworld Volkswagen in Glen Waverley.
He could be spinning a line to me but i asked him again when i was picking up the car and he said, Yes free map upgrades.
I don't have it in writing though so i guess i will find out on my first service next year.

kennyc
01-05-2014, 11:06 AM
He got back to me and said there are no updates at this stage, but clearly people are getting V2 maps.

Brendan_A
01-05-2014, 11:10 AM
He is telling you BS! I had v1 maps and now have v2...

Jimi
01-05-2014, 11:16 AM
I was given V2 on collection yesterday. Feb 2014 build

kennyc
01-05-2014, 02:52 PM

I will call the service department.

TJG
01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Definitely call - My car was delivered last week with V2.

DV52
01-05-2014, 04:50 PM

Brendan_A : I don't suppose that the dealer allows you to retain the old "VI" sd card when the "V2" upgrade is done?

Brendan_A
01-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Brendan_A : I don't suppose that the dealer allows you to retain the old "VI" sd card when the "V2" upgrade is done?

I had to give it back so they could put it in a my13 car.

DV52
01-05-2014, 07:03 PM
I had to give it back so they could put it in a my13 car.

Brendan_A: Thanks for the response. Just one more question-please. Many folk here have mentioned the appalling voice pronunciation that happens on VW's current sat nav facility. I've experienced this first hand. Did you find that voice pronunciation was changed (i.e. any better) when the V2 maps were installed?

Brendan_A
01-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Brendan_A: Thanks for the response. Just one more question-please. Many folk here have mentioned the appalling voice pronunciation that happens on VW's current sat nav facility. I've experienced this first hand. Did you find that voice pronunciation was changed (i.e. any better) when the V2 maps were installed?

Tbh I haven't used it to navigate anywhere yet lol. I'll have a play around with it on the week end and let you know.

I do know the v2 maps have improved because it will navigate to this street in Brisbane where the v1 maps it wouldn't. That's the only thing I've checked so far. :)

kennyc
01-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Can you confirm the version information from the settings menu?
Mine is 5G0919866A 0022 ROW 2013

Brendan_A
03-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Can you confirm the version information from the settings menu?
Mine is 5G0919866A 0022 ROW 2013

This is mine

Dutch77
03-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Another V2 here, picked up 2/5.

armthehomeless
03-05-2014, 02:15 PM
This is mine

Same as me. V2

kennyc
04-05-2014, 03:40 PM
OK thanks, haven't called service department yet, but will tomorrow morning.

Nauend
04-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Hearing you can turn tp on sounds great.

Does the v2 of the sat nav card make any difference to the reported sat nav problems?

kennyc
05-05-2014, 08:50 AM
I am at the dealership now. They are like we give whatever maps come with the car. But I mentioned people got V2 maps that got the car before and after me.
They are checking on it now.

DV52
05-05-2014, 09:09 AM
I am at the dealership now. They are like we give whatever maps come with the car. But I mentioned people got V2 maps that got the car before and after me.
They are checking on it now.

Kennyc: If you are there now, show them the pics of the latest software. If they still refuse, ask them why the folk on this forum are more knowledgeable than their own mechanics!

kennyc
05-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys, just shows the forum community can help each other.
I now have V2 maps but didn't have to resort to showing or mentioning this website. Went and saw the guy who sold me the car and he was very good, helped me out. After-sales support still very good.

Also actually used the maps for the first time today as i went down to moonah links to play golf. The system still cannot say most of street names and can't even say "road"! It is like Roooeeeaadd. Stupid.
But i love how the navigation switches to the screen where the speedo is.
Loving the car more and more!

Brendan_A
05-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Glad you got it all sorted kennyc.

greg32
05-05-2014, 08:03 PM
I would be interested to see how old the maps are. I bought the latest V7 disc for my RNS510 and the maps are ~January2013. Over one year old on the latest release? Would it be possible to copy the SD card before it gets installed in a radio? I think the radio would brick the card for copying or swapping.

DV52
05-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys, just shows the forum community can help each other.
I now have V2 maps but didn't have to resort to showing or mentioning this website. Went and saw the guy who sold me the car and he was very good, helped me out. After-sales support still very good.

Also actually used the maps for the first time today as i went down to moonah links to play golf. The system still cannot say most of street names and can't even say "road"! It is like Roooeeeaadd. Stupid.
But i love how the navigation switches to the screen where the speedo is.
Loving the car more and more!

Kennyc:Well done! I quess the message for dealers is - don't mess with the VWW community!!

Have you got TMC working on your car? I installed the VCDS tweak last week on my my13 model. It adds a totally new dimension to the Sat Nav. Screen now shows little triangles where the congestion sites are. Just touch the triangle on the screen and a more complete description of the traffic delay is displayed. It's all updated in (almost) real time - Great stuff!

Pity about the voice pronunciation. I had thought (hoped, really) that V2 would fix the appalling speach impediment of the announcements. How hard can it be for a SAT NAV to correctly pronounce the word "Road"? The worst part (for me) is when the SAT NAV tries to say highway numbers (particularly the number "4", or "40-something" - says something like "frewery" instead).

veew
05-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Wow the TMC sounds great! I come across a fair bit of congestion due to road works etc so the TMC would be really helpful when I'm trying to work out an alternative route.

DV52
06-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Wow the TMC sounds great! I come across a fair bit of congestion due to road works etc so the TMC would be really helpful when I'm trying to work out an alternative route.

veew: Do you own, or do you have access to a VCDS cable? If not, and as I said in a previous post, can you get to my place for me to do the tweak for you -where do you live? I'm fairly sure that there are VWW folk that are willing to do tweaks for other members in the various States - not sure where to find details. Failing that, you could ask your dealer to install it as part of the next service (you would argue, of course, that it ought to be provided at no cost - given how easy it is to install).

sucnip
06-05-2014, 04:45 PM
sucnip: Hi. When you refer to "TP". are your referring to the reports that should appear on the Discovery Media screen when the "Traffic" button is pressed? If so, I've been trying to activate this facility for some time (without success) on my my13 series vehicle. On 15-03-2014 (12:09 PM) I posted a few VCDS shots on the thread titled "Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions" and I asked for help in completing the process. I have copied the link below, but my VWW profile is set-up to view the latest thread page first, so I hope that the link works for you

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-4.html

Anyway, I would welcome any advice that you could provide (my suspicion is that I'm entirely on the wrong path). thanks

Hi DV52. Just saw your post. Did you get everything working ok? The TP setting is in the radio settings somewhere and not in the traffic button. One drawback to the traffic reports is that they aren't very good/reliable - at least in Sydney.

Cheers,
David

DV52
06-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Hi DV52. Just saw your post. Did you get everything working ok? The TP setting is in the radio settings somewhere and not in the traffic button. One drawback to the traffic reports is that they aren't very good/reliable - at least in Sydney.

Cheers,
David

David: Yes it all went well once I plugged-in your magic number (which was later confirmed by alanzidane in a subsequent post). The information was very useful-thanks.

I had already set-up the requisite radio settings long ago in the irrational hope that somehow the illusive VW Golf fairies would magically install the facility in my car without any further intervention by me (don't know why this didn't happen)!

I've had mixed success with the accuracy of the reports here in Australia's best State. On the whole the reports have been not-too-bad, but I might be in a good period - only time will tell! Thanks again for the information

Incidentally, I updated the detailed procedure that I originally started for the the TMC tweak to include credits for both alanzidane and yourself. I appologise for not getting your prior permission but I hope that this was OK. Getting to the final answer was a collaborative process which confirms the value of community forums such as this. For your reference, the corrrect link for the fully completed TMC tweak is below (the link in my post to you was incorrect):

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-post1038915.html#post1038915

vk6tnc
07-05-2014, 01:14 AM
Pity about the voice pronunciation. I had thought (hoped, really) that V2 would fix the appalling speach impediment of the announcements. How hard can it be for a SAT NAV to correctly pronounce the word "Road"? The worst part (for me) is when the SAT NAV tries to say highway numbers (particularly the number "4", or "40-something" - says something like "frewery" instead).

I know English will be a second language for a lot of the VW designers and engineers, but their text to speech software is appalling!! Sometimes the poor girl trapped in my SAT NAV sounds like she has just climbed over the Berlin wall with a couple of bottles of vodka under her belt...

Street and Road both translate to Strasser in German, oh dear.

readerr0r
07-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Am I right in saying the Nav should then route around the accident/congestion automatically? Just curious.

veew
07-05-2014, 07:27 AM
veew: Do you own, or do you have access to a VCDS cable? If not, and as I said in a previous post, can you get to my place for me to do the tweak for you -where do you live? I'm fairly sure that there are VWW folk that are willing to do tweaks for other members in the various States - not sure where to find details. Failing that, you could ask your dealer to install it as part of the next service (you would argue, of course, that it ought to be provided at no cost - given how easy it is to install).

I don't have a VCDS cable or a Windows laptop. I'm in Adelaide and was going to get Transporter to do it but it seemed like it would cost more than I thought it was going to so I have held off, especially for TMC.

I had my car in the service centre a while back regarding the radio button control issue, gave them a printed list of VCDS tweaks and they said they couldn't do them in their system (which was different, I should've known haha). Anyway one of the technicians was pretty retarded as he had written in the report "heated leather seats not present" when trying to activate the retained settings for seat heater, it's pretty obvious I do have heated leather seats when you look/sit in the actual vehicle! When the service manager told me that my car didn't have the feature, I didn't feel confident I was going to get far with getting these tweaks installed. I remember reading one of the forum members was able to coerce the service staff to change the settings using their software but can't find the post any more.

I'm going to have another go at getting the service centre to activate TMC. Firstly I'll chase up VWA customer care so they have confirmed the features are available and then ensure they forward the appropriate details to my service centre so they can't deny the features being available for the Australian market.

DV52
07-05-2014, 10:16 AM
I don't have a VCDS cable or a Windows laptop. I'm in Adelaide and was going to get Transporter to do it but it seemed like it would cost more than I thought it was going to so I have held off, especially for TMC.

I had my car in the service centre a while back regarding the radio button control issue, gave them a printed list of VCDS tweaks and they said they couldn't do them in their system (which was different, I should've known haha). Anyway one of the technicians was pretty retarded as he had written in the report "heated leather seats not present" when trying to activate the retained settings for seat heater, it's pretty obvious I do have heated leather seats when you look/sit in the actual vehicle! When the service manager told me that my car didn't have the feature, I didn't feel confident I was going to get far with getting these tweaks installed. I remember reading one of the forum members was able to coerce the service staff to change the settings using their software but can't find the post any more.

I'm going to have another go at getting the service centre to activate TMC. Firstly I'll chase up VWA customer care so they have confirmed the features are available and then ensure they forward the appropriate details to my service centre so they can't deny the features being available for the Australian market.

Andrew: pity that you live so far away. If you are ever plan to be in Australia's premier State, PM me and I will do the tweaks for you (it will only cost you your undying gratitude and a good conversation - about anything that you want)

82fireman
07-05-2014, 11:17 AM
As a newbie to the forum I am a bit confused as I have been reading this thread and then went to the dealer to ask for details about the traffic and voice buttons on my 110TDI. DOM 7/13 MY 14
They told me that satnav v1 and v2 are not interchangeable and will only work on the correct dated car. In other words you can't update from 1 to 2 if pre that version car. Also they and VW customer care say there is no traffic data and that it doesn't work in Aust.
When I mentioned to customer care that some have it working I was told that some due to luck had the right settings but that the data was not accurate and should not be used.
I was also told by the dealer that the voice button would cost to activate and that calling vw would probably get me an update at no cost. Fat chance! VW view it as an accessory and want to charge.

What a joke that they sell cars with satnav but parts don't work and they want to charge you when they do come up with a fix.

Eaglehawk
07-05-2014, 02:16 PM
They told me that satnav v1 and v2 are not interchangeable and will only work on the correct dated car. In other words you can't update from 1 to 2 if pre that version car.

Does this explain why Brendan_A was having weird problems with their SatNAV with V1 maps?

DV52
07-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Does this explain why Brendan_A was having weird problems with their SatNAV with V1 maps?

Eaglehawk: Whilst I'm a firm believer in the adage that "anything is possible", I'm not sure that I'm entirely convinced that the information that the dealer or VWA gave 82fireman was all that accurate.

As an example of the quality of the information that 82fireman received, I enclose the following quote from his (her?) post:"
Also they [dealer] and VW customer care say there is no traffic data and that it doesn't work in Aust

We know this is not true because a number of us have it working in our vehicles (me included). Some have had TMC working from the date of delivery and some (like me) have enabled the facility as a VCDS tweak (i.e. kinda like an "aftermarket" installation). Whilst sucnip has said that the Traffic reports are not that reliable in Sydney, my observation is that the reports are not that bad (in Melbourne). I can't say that everytime that I pass a point where the traffic report says that there are roadworks, roadworks exist, but in general, I experience some sort of delay at these locations.

I hope that the suggestion about the map version is not correct because I'm looking forward to getting the V2 maps for my my13 vehicle. It would be helpful to know if anyone here who has received a V2 upgrade has an my13 car (or have the V2 maps only been fitted to my14 cars.

PS:82fireman - please don't take my comments above as a personal criticism. My concern is about the information that was given to you by others.

82fireman
07-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Eaglehawk: Whilst I'm a firm believer in the adage that "anything is possible", I'm not sure that I'm entirely convinced that the information that the dealer or VWA gave 82fireman was all that accurate.

As an example of the quality of the information that 82fireman received, I enclose the following quote from his (her?) post:"
Also they [dealer] and VW customer care say there is no traffic data and that it doesn't work in Aust

We know this is not true because a number of us have it working in our vehicles (me included). Some have had TMC working from the date of delivery and some (like me) have enabled the facility as a VCDS tweak (i.e. kinda like an "aftermarket" installation). Whilst sucnip has said that the Traffic reports are not that reliable in Sydney, my observation is that the reports are not that bad (in Melbourne). I can't say that everytime that I pass a point where the traffic report says that there are roadworks, roadworks exist, but in general, I experience some sort of delay at these locations.

I hope that the suggestion about the map version is not correct because I'm looking forward to getting the V2 maps for my my13 vehicle. It would be helpful to know if anyone here who has received a V2 upgrade has an my13 car (or have the V2 maps only been fitted to my14 cars.

PS:82fireman - please don't take my comments above as a personal criticism. My concern is about the information that was given to you by others.

No problem DV52. As I said they have just confused me with their remarks (VW that is). I noticed that on VW Europe you can update maps a limited number of times using your own SD card for free but AU does not have these downloads. So maybe V2 is not required.Just surmising tho.

If anyone in the Perth area can help to activate the traffic etc please let me know as I would be most grateful.

Nauend
07-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Do you think the issue with traffic maybe relates to licensing and shared platforms? For example, it may be able to be turned on in the golf as it's a standard feature included in the mfd shared across platforms, which Audi supply(so I assume they pay a Suna licence fee) but VWA decide not to pay Suna licensing so they switch it off in the golf. VWA may also have a standard process which turns it off each service?

veew
20-05-2014, 02:30 PM

V2 from then on.

Buzuki, I didn't see your message while looking through this thread a while back. Would've saved me some time, oh well.

I called the service centre with regards to installing V2 on my Aug '13 built, Feb '14 complianced Golf Highline. One of the staff called VWA and was told the cards are limited to certain chassis numbers, therefore they couldn't be swapped. I informed them of owners who were able to and he reiterated what VWA told him.

Anyways it looks like I can forget about the V2 SD card as it looks like it won't work in my car anyway. Pity, considering I've only had it for a few months, I'd like to be sure it has the latest and greatest software.

DV52
20-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Buzuki,
I called the service centre with regards to installing V2 on my Aug '13 built, Feb '14 complianced Golf Highline. One of the staff called VWA and was told the cards are limited to certain chassis numbers, therefore they couldn't be swapped. I informed them of owners who were able to and he reiterated what VWA told him.

Andrew: That's disturbing news from our very dear friends at VWA (not)! My Golf has a Jan 2013 build date, so I'm in the same boat (or, is that, car) as you. I never relished the prospect of having to talk to the inappropriately named "Customer Care" people at VWA, but I guess that I will have to. What a "f"ing nuisance!!

veew
20-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Don, I did call Customer Care before, finally, getting through to the service centre!

The Customer Care girl 1) had no idea about sat nav updates, 2) therefore didn't know there were 2 different versions for the Golf 7 and 3) was unable to really provide me with any useful information, only suggesting I contact my local service centre.

The phone call with the service centre concluded with "I understand if you're not happy with this outcome but this is what VWA has told us over the phone (another technician was on another line to VWA while I was on hold). If you want any further information to contact Customer Care."

And so the phone carousel continues ... except I don't have time and will have to leave it at that. I'll check in to see if you have much luck.

My previous emails to Customer Care, regarding voice control and TMC, haven't really brought about the outcomes I've wanted either. They state the functions are not for our market and now have reported immediate deactivation of TMC for the cars that do have it, yep, frustrating.

DV52
20-05-2014, 05:35 PM
The phone call with the service centre concluded with "I understand if you're not happy with this outcome but this is what VWA has told us over the phone (another technician was on another line to VWA while I was on hold). If you want any further information to contact Customer Care."

Andrew: I hate it when service centres give that response. I call it the Nuremberg defense! A response that relies on the arguement that "I only do (or, say) what I'm told to do (or, say)" did not work in the war trials and it's less than helpful in a customer service situtation.

I'll let you know how I get on with VWA (what a daunting task it will be!).

veew
20-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Andrew: pity that you live so far away. If you are ever plan to be in Australia's premier State, PM me and I will do the tweaks for you (it will only cost you your undying gratitude and a good conversation - about anything that you want)

Mate, was just going through the previous page and saw your post. Cheers for your offer! I'm so time poor I doubt I'll ever get to take lil Golfy across the border. If I was to drive over the border, it would be with a couple motorbikes in tow, heading for Phillip Island BUT I don't think I would put the Golf through that. Last year my mate took his Forester with our 3 motorbikes in tow, effortlessly did the distance whilst consuming 8L/100km of PULP98.

singlespeed
23-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Mate, was just going through the previous page and saw your post. Cheers for your offer! I'm so time poor I doubt I'll ever get to take lil Golfy across the border. If I was to drive over the border, it would be with a couple motorbikes in tow, heading for Phillip Island BUT I don't think I would put the Golf through that. Last year my mate took his Forester with our 3 motorbikes in tow, effortlessly did the distance whilst consuming 8L/100km of PULP98.

Off topic but I can't resist. I would never tow with my Golf either. I sold my Forester for a new TDI because of the fuel economy. There is no way on earth a Forester could pull off 8L/100km, especially pulling a trailer. Did you mean 18l/100km? That's sounds more probable.

DV52
25-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Off topic but I can't resist. I would never tow with my Golf either. I sold my Forester for a new TDI because of the fuel economy. There is no way on earth a Forester could pull off 8L/100km, especially pulling a trailer. Did you mean 18l/100km? That's sounds more probable.

Singlespeed: hmm.... I've had a tow bar on the golf almost since new. Mostly tow a trailer for domestic purposes. Regularly tow half meter of soil. Golf handles it no worries at all.

singlespeed
25-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Singlespeed: hmm.... I've had a tow bar on the golf almost since new. Mostly tow a trailer for domestic purposes. Regularly tow half meter of soil. Golf handles it no worries at all.

I used to tow a motorcycle trailer with two sport bikes on it with my Mk4 Golf TDI manual, it was a great vehicle in the hilly Eiffel region of Germany. The new Mk7 DSG feels fragile to me in comparison to the old Golf. I'm sure it would be fine.

mgrobins
30-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Andrew: pity that you live so far away. If you are ever plan to drive in Australia's worst weather, PM me and I will do the tweaks for you (it will only cost you your undying gratitude and a good conversation - about anything that you want)

Fixed that for you :P

Guys this thread has been a stellar effort. Kudos to those of you who have persisted and been successful with your dealers. I advise you to become comfortable with the situation of you knowing more than the dealership.... It will happen often unless you hit an enthusiast who happens to work there!

How much would dealers likely charge for VCDS changes? I ask as I am contemplating purchasing the cheapest kit and using it for the changes I want. I intend to be doing other mods to the car for engine mapping etc as well so I'm investigating what capabilities I need.

I'm in Brisbane - If I go down this path I'd be happy to hep out others locally.

booba
30-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Hi Guys, just got a Golf R but dec2013 build with V1 maps :(. Will have to ask the dealer about V2 next week..

Alex31
31-05-2014, 07:22 AM
V1 and v2 maps are not interchangeable. V2 is not actually version 2 as such, just different software for newer model golfs. ( however it does appear to have more roads) A real software update is due out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transporter
31-05-2014, 08:10 AM

I agree with that. The message is, don't trust everything you read in the forums. :)

Transporter
31-05-2014, 08:15 AM
How old are the maps that come with the Golf7?

I know that we got maybe spoiled with TomTom and others, offering the map updates up to 4 times per year, but it doesn't mean that VW has to do the same. Maybe people who want to buy a new car should ask about the updates and how often they will be released before they make a decision to buy a car, if the up to date maps are that important to them.

I found that google maps are quite up to date, everytime my Navman or TomTom can't find a new street.

b c
01-06-2014, 09:51 AM
How old are the maps that come with the Golf7?

I know that we got maybe spoiled with TomTom and others, offering the map updates up to 4 times per year, but it doesn't mean that VW has to do the same. Maybe people who want to buy a new car should ask about the updates and how often they will be released before they make a decision to buy a car, if the up to date maps are that important to them.

I found that google maps are quite up to date, everytime my Navman or TomTom can't find a new street.
Nice thought, and I did ask but couldn't get a clear reply - but the dynamics of the car were more important to me than the sat nav, so I purchased anyway.

b c
01-06-2014, 09:52 AM
A real software update is due out soon.
I'm afraid that's old news for me, like several months. VWA's "soon" seems to be quite a long time. Or do you have recent info?

salrom
14-06-2014, 02:35 AM
Nice thought, and I did ask but couldn't get a clear reply - but the dynamics of the car were more important to me than the sat nav, so I purchased anyway.

The same for me I asked and was told its the latest software 0430 and maps 5G0919866G 0027 ROW 2014 but it has a 2013 load dated making it more than 6 months old. The traffic reports don't seem to integrate with the map when I push the traffic button I get a list of traffic incidents all over the state with no reference to my location. I thought the congestion was meant to be shown on the map?
Also voice control only mute's the sound no voice instructions. I have contacted the dealer in Mascot but it's been over a week and one email and 3 calls and not even a return call. I tried to speak with the sales person but was told he no longer works there and this is meant to be one of VW's biggest dealers. Worst car delivery I have have ever had !

salrom
14-06-2014, 05:08 AM
This must have changed because all the cars GTI, R & Scrocco except the one I bought had the voice control and I'm chasing them up as to why now.

salrom
14-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Given that button can easily be changed between voice control and mute in the Mk6 using VCDS, that might be a simple fix later one when Ross-Tech get their hands on a Mk7 and document the new control modules.

I'd think the SD shortage would only be a problem for a short amount of time and shouldn't be ongoing in the months to come. I don't really like the idea of maps on an SD card - more chance of it disappearing.

I agree I tried to make a backup because I know how unreliable SD cards can be. I tried using a number of methods and none worked there is some kind of protection to prevent copping.

Ryan_R
14-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Try a sector-based copy? Perhaps from a live CD operating system?

readerr0r
14-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Not many people realize but SD actually stands for Secure Digital. SD cards have some pretty advanced DRM copy protection available including protected data zones that can't be accessed. Its a rarely used feature on SD cards but I'm guessing VW is taking advantage of that fact (I don't think its been cracked).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Features

Transporter
14-06-2014, 08:32 AM
I agree I tried to make a backup because I know how unreliable SD cards can be. I tried using a number of methods and none worked there is some kind of protection to prevent copping.

Maybe you should try a smarter excuse to make a copy, like "in case I lose the original".

For more than a decade, I use SD cards a lot and never had one that failed. :?

Idle
14-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Agreed — I've been using them since 16MB was a big one and no failures.

There must be a way to access the protected areas — back when prices made it worth their while the Chinese were able to fake the capacity in order to sell small cards as larger and more expensive.

zardoz
17-06-2014, 10:44 PM
I've had two SD cards die on me before. Well looked after - SanDisk ones, too. I own about 8 of them and use them almost exclusively in sandisk readers, Apple equipment and Canon professional camera gear.

Regarding protected areas, I believe the SD card uses similar DRM systems as DVD-Audio which has been broken now. I'll have my hands on a card when the new car arrives so I'll sit down to work and find out how this thing goes together.

Curious as to whether the Discover Pro maps are subject to the same limitations and how they are coded/locked to a particular vehicle. Chasing this up through various contacts; watch this space.

readerr0r
20-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I've managed to download the latest maps from VW for both Discover Media and Pro, but I don't have a Golf 7 to work on.
Edit: See below

readerr0r
20-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Updated below

readerr0r
22-06-2014, 10:33 AM
ROW2014: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3v44jhkKI6wd1hXanhkSjloMnc/edit?usp=sharing

Intructions: VW_Discover_Media_PDF (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?Page=VW_Discover_Media_PDF&NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

Anyone interested in trying?

Backup the contents of the SD card first!

GT1977
22-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Anyone interested in trying

i reckon those are European maps so don't recommend trying in Aus!

readerr0r
22-06-2014, 06:11 PM
That's funny because I can't help but notice the folder called 'aus' and files containing 'Australia' within. Plus the dbinfo file with the same part number as people with 2014 maps on their Golf's, 5F0919866G.

TJG
22-06-2014, 06:14 PM
If they are ROW 2014 they are Australian (and rest of the world - eg Not Europe and Not USA). You can download them from the South American VW Navigation site (but it takes ages). I believe that they are the same version as I have in My R now - as delivered (V2 ROW 0027 2014) - You can tell by looking at the DBINFO.TXT file - This matches the info from my car eg: ROW 0027 2014

PartNumber2="5G0919866G "
PartNumber3="5E0051236D "
PartNumber4="5F0919866G "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0027"
SystemName=" ROW 2014 "

How compatible they are with all Australian models is a different question ;)

readerr0r
22-06-2014, 06:39 PM
If they are ROW 2014 they are Australian (and rest of the world - eg Not Europe and Not USA). You can download them from the South American VW Navigation site (but it takes ages). I believe that they are the same version as I have in My R now - as delivered (V2 ROW 0027 2014) - You can tell by looking at the DBINFO.TXT file - This matches the info from my car eg: ROW 0027 2014

SystemName=" ROW 2014 "

How compatible they are with all Australian models is a different question ;)

Bingo thats where I got it from, and my theory is that since the DRM is encoded on the SD-Card for the Discover Media. You should be able the grab the ROW2014 maps from VW and upgrade goes through fine, since its designed that way in other countries.

TJG
22-06-2014, 07:15 PM
readerr0r that makes sense. Everything I have researched indicates the licences (DRM) are attached to the SD Card. Somewhere in the manual it does say to update by downloading maps or by contacting a VW dealer. So I think you are correct. My only concern would be some references I have seen to V2 maps not being "compatible" with all cars eg:

V2 from then on.

readerr0r
22-06-2014, 07:46 PM
readerr0r that makes sense. Everything I have researched indicates the licences (DRM) are attached to the SD Card. Somewhere in the manual it does say to update by downloading maps or by contacting a VW dealer. So I think you are correct. My only concern would be some references I have seen to V2 maps not being "compatible" with all cars eg:

That reference is more related to when V2 was loaded onto cars from factory, not their compatibility.

I think the swap mentioned failed because each SD-card is tied to each car, not the map version. So a car's V1 SD-card upgraded to V2 should be fine, but putting a V2 SD-card from one car into a different car would fail. But of course its all theory until someone can give it a try and confirm it.

When I get my Octavia I'll definitely be testing out the Discover Pro map upgrade.

zardoz
23-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Are there maps for the discover pro available as well as the discover media from that website?

readerr0r
23-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Are there maps for the discover pro available as well as the discover media from that website?

Yup, but they're 17gb so you need to buy a 32gb sd card just to transfer them over. Its a small stepping stone for potential retrofits but it probably won't work without dealer interaction. I imagine a retrofitted DPro would still need to be authorized for AU maps. Updating a Skoda with one would be fine, since that's been done at the factory though.

Idle
23-06-2014, 04:13 PM
That reference is more related to when V2 was loaded onto cars from factory, not their compatibility.

I think the swap mentioned failed because each SD-card is tied to each car, not the map version. So a car's V1 SD-card upgraded to V2 should be fine, but putting a V2 SD-card from one car into a different car would fail. But of course its all theory until someone can give it a try and confirm it.

When I get my Octavia I'll definitely be testing out the Discover Pro map upgrade.

Just gave it a try, the V2 map failed:- "Map Data is invalid, please insert valid media)" on an early 2013 unit.

Tried it twice with different copy programs, just in case...

Old data restored OK with Windows Explorer.

So there's more to it than we've discovered so far.

readerr0r
23-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Just gave it a try, the V2 map failed:- "Map Data is invalid, please insert valid media)" on an early 2013 unit.

Tried it twice with different copy programs, just in case...

Old data restored OK with Windows Explorer.

So there's more to it than we've discovered so far.

Rats, so V2 maps placed on the sd card had a similar file system structure to the V1? Good to hear it recovered fine.

Idle
23-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Yes, formatted the same, areas covered are the same — haven't fully compared the actual files (over 30,000 of them.)

The numbers in the text file vary somewhat, though.
Maps 2:
SystemName=" ROW 2014 "

Maps 1:
PartNumber2="5G0919866A "
PartNumber3="5E0919866A "
PartNumber4="5F0919866A "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0022"
SystemName=" ROW 2013 "

I think it's possible to lock files to the actual card, but that doesn't appear to be the case here — I think it's an interaction between the head unit and the card.

The first time I popped the updated card into the head unit it seemed to work for a few seconds before it was rejected, after that rejection was instant, even if the card was taken out, the head unit restarted and then the card replaced.

Can't say I was surprised nor, given that the "new" maps are actually up to two years (some may be more) old, really disappointed.

When the restored card was reinserted it took a while for the head unit to read the data in again (this might account for the initial delay in checking the copy — the head unit may remember its last location.)

zardoz
24-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Yup, but they're 17gb so you need to buy a 32gb sd card just to transfer them over. Its a small stepping stone for potential retrofits but it probably won't work without dealer interaction. I imagine a retrofitted DPro would still need to be authorized for AU maps. Updating a Skoda with one would be fine, since that's been done at the factory though.

If the dealer has the tools to do it, then my dealer will do this for me. Looks like there might be hope!

BumbleBeetle66
05-08-2014, 04:58 PM

V2 from then on.

buzuki is right. v1 and v2 sd cards contain the same map data.

Ryder
05-12-2014, 09:05 PM
I know this is reviving an old thread but did anyone work out a way to get v2 working in a pre November build?

BumbleBeetle66, from other posters it sounds like v2 does have extra roads that aren't in v1.

I recently drove from Brisbane to Sydney and many of the new bypasses aren't on the v1 maps. If anyone has done this trip with the v2 maps it would be interesting to know if it's any better.

shamooni
20-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi all

I just purchased my car a week ago and apparently there is a new update.

Can I please ask,

1. Is there anyway of having fixed camera warnings?
2. Where do I install the new maps from?
3. How can I disable the intro warning on the NAV screen when starting up?

thanks for your assistance guys.

Regards

Shamooni

Eaglehawk
20-12-2014, 07:05 PM
1. No.
2. Here http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/boom-new-2015-maps-available-discover-media-free-download-101882.html
3. No.

shamooni
21-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks heaps Eaglehawk.

appreciated.

uruvti
17-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Hi All,

My 2014 GTI came without the SD card of the Discover Media. Dealer in my country is asking me USD +300 to install a new one. I have recently bought a original VW SD Card V1 from ebay for USD 50 but has US maps, so I would like to replace them with ROW maps.

Do you know where can I download any version of maps for the V1 card?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Eaglehawk
17-04-2015, 08:54 AM
3. How can I disable the intro warning on the NAV screen when starting up?

An update, this can be done now.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-84619-39.html#post1120844