PDA

View Full Version : Mk7 Golf GTD

VUU
05-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Does anyone have any information on the Aus release date for the Golf MK VII GTD? I have had one dealer tell me it is to be released on the same date as the GTI and two other dealers have said there is no information available on when or whether it will be released in Australia at all...:(

cheers

Dutch77
05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I've seen dates ranging from third quarter to fourth quarter, I don't think anything has been firmed up just yet. I suspect stock will be fairly tight early on so best to keep in touch with your dealers if you're looking for an early example.

VUU
05-05-2013, 03:00 PM
I've seen dates ranging from third quarter to fourth quarter...

Thanks for that. Looking forward to seeing the Aus specifications before I commit :)

Dutch77
05-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for that. Looking forward to seeing the Aus specifications before I commit :)

Keep a close eye on the GTI news then, I would assume that the GTD specs will pretty much mirror it as per mk6.

I've driven the mk6 GTD and thought it was a great car, if I was a higher mileage driver it might have gotten the nod..

LunchboxVRS
05-05-2013, 03:14 PM
My local dealer is under the impression the GTI and GTD will be around November. But there also suggesting that of you order something not in the available in the country on its release in November( maybe) you won't get it till April/May 2014. But its all just rumoured. We won't know until VW actually say so.

VUU
06-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Keep a close eye on the GTI news then, I would assume that the GTD specs will pretty much mirror it as per mk6.

I've driven the mk6 GTD and thought it was a great car, if I was a higher mileage driver it might have gotten the nod..

I've had one dealer tell me the GTI specs are due August or September :( I'll just have to be patient (assuming there will be an Aus MkVII GTD). The GTD is what I'd like to get given I clock a fair few km per week but if I have to wait until next year before it is released then I may just 'have' to get a GTI instead, ha :)

pologti18t
11-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Guy seems to think the GTD has been canned for this market for now

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/not-long-now-83500.html

VUU
11-05-2013, 10:18 AM

:( that is not good news. I was also told this week that the GTD should be a couple months after the GTI release...

Golf7
11-05-2013, 12:28 PM
:( that is not good news. I was also told this week that the GTD should be a couple months after the GTI release...

Don't worry, they'll be landing a month after the GTIs.

pologti18t
13-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Don't worry, they'll be landing a month after the GTIs.

How come Guy confirmed that the GTD will not arrive? The mk6 GTD was considered a sales flop in Australia.

Ideo
13-05-2013, 12:00 PM

That is the word from my local VW dealer as well.

brenno
13-05-2013, 02:25 PM
If so, that leaves those wanting a TDI with a manual gearbox in the lurch. No Passat/Alltrack/Golf/Superb with a manual box. Only option is an outdated Octavia. I reckon that pretty poor form.

Ideo
13-05-2013, 03:55 PM
If so, that leaves those wanting a TDI with a manual gearbox in the lurch. No Passat/Alltrack/Golf/Superb with a manual box. Only option is an outdated Octavia. I reckon that pretty poor form.

Just had the phone call. No GTD is coming to Australia.

Bye bye VW. My next car will not be one of yours. My money is going to BMW.

VUU
13-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Just had the phone call. No GTD is coming to Australia.

Big disappointment! Thought I could have my cake and eat it as well, sporty performance+fuel efficient= elevated SAF. How am I going to convince her that the GTI is worth the extra cost and fuel bill :(

Must think of a way...

andrew7
13-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Just wait till you drive the GTI and hear the rorty engine note, sweet turbo spool whine and DSG burp- something you never get in the GTD!

Dutch77
13-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Big disappointment! Thought I could have my cake and eat it as well, sporty performance+fuel efficient= elevated SAF. How am I going to convince her that the GTI is worth the extra cost and fuel bill :(

Must think of a way...

There was only $1,200 difference in list price on mk6, and you'd need to do a fair bit of driving to care for the extra economy provided by the diesel.. why not consider the mk6 anyway and save a few extra dollars to tune it up?

VUU
13-05-2013, 11:33 PM
There was only $1,200 difference in list price on mk6, and you'd need to do a fair bit of driving to care for the extra economy provided by the diesel.. why not consider the mk6 anyway and save a few extra dollars to tune it up?

Wise suggestion, I'll have to give it some thought, however the lure of a shiny new mk7 may be too great...even if it is a TSI ;)

Golf7
14-05-2013, 12:19 PM
The GTD is not dead here just yet. I repeat, we might still get it! VW is undertaking some market research here at the moment. Anyone for a petition?

Ideo
14-05-2013, 02:47 PM
The GTD is not dead here just yet. I repeat, we might still get it! VW is undertaking some market research here at the moment. Anyone for a petition?

Not according to the bulletin put out to dealers advising them that no GTDs were to be imported.

It is a bit unusual for a dealer to refuse a deposit on a car, unless it won't ever be delivered.

Golf7
14-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Not according to the bulletin put out to dealers advising them that no GTDs were to be imported.

It is a bit unusual for a dealer to refuse a deposit on a car, unless it won't ever be delivered.

Completely agree, it's not looking good, VW Australia does have 2 though in the country... Saw them along with the GTIs, all LHD though...

VUU
14-05-2013, 07:03 PM
I too can confirm that a Perth dealer confirmed today that the GTD will not be imported in the foreseeable future and that they received this notification from VW Australia last week. Bad news indeed for diesel fans. I am now weighing up my options, 110 TDI, GTI (jump ship to PULP), other euro tweaked diesels and Dutch 77's suggestion...

Next thing we will hear from VW Aus is that there is no PP for the GTI...no, wait.. ;)

spikeyboy22
14-05-2013, 08:05 PM

This how the story will go...

When there is a two year wait on gti we will get p/p pack... Then when that has a list we will get gtd that is what happened last time

Golf7
14-05-2013, 08:37 PM

When there is a two year wait on gti we will get p/p pack... Then when that has a list we will get gtd that is what happened last time

+1 They're always sneaky. How on earth can they NOT get the PP??? What difference? They have them in the UK!!! They can't be serious. If this costs the Golf Wheels COTY.............

Dutch77
14-05-2013, 09:47 PM

Will be interesting to see what the waits are like this time around, no doubt anything with special options will be a six month plus gig, but unless VW Aus deliberately stifle supply (wouldn't put it past them) I reckon it will be easier to source a mk7 GTI. Less need to upgrade, a lot more viable choice..

The GTD landing here in mk6 guise seemed to coincide with a bump in fuel prices and a renewed focus on fuel economy of new cars. While that still exists it doesn't seem so important now - but the next time people start to panic over $2/litre fuel prices and there's another big push on diesel economy..

pologti18t
15-05-2013, 11:36 AM
My money is going to BMW.

What model exactly? a 118d? Same performance as a Golf 110 TDI.

Ideo
15-05-2013, 11:59 AM
What model exactly? a 118d? Same performance as a Golf 110 TDI.

F30 320d most likely. At least their auto transmissions are reliable so I'm not restricted to manuals.

Golf7
15-05-2013, 01:11 PM
F30 320d most likely. At least their auto transmissions are reliable so I'm not restricted to manuals.

That engine is horrible! And the 3 series is such a disappointment! Ride and handling are average by any standard at best, and downright shocking by what one would expect of BMW...

Ideo
15-05-2013, 04:06 PM
That engine is horrible! And the 3 series is such a disappointment! Ride and handling are average by any standard at best, and downright shocking by what one would expect of BMW...

No it's not. It's a great engine. Far superior to the current GTD engine. Msport pack is a must for handling, but stock vs stock the F20 and F30 are far superior to drive than the the Golf or Passat.

You are sounding far too much like a fanboy rather than an objective individual.

Frankenstrat
15-05-2013, 05:18 PM

This is precisely my own way of thinking. My currrent drive is a 2010 Golf 103TDI M/T and I think it is an excellent car. The fact that I can no longer buy a Golf TDI or indeed a diesel Audi A3 with manual transmission really pees me off. I am simply not willing to be forced into driving a car with DSG, that's my choice.

Currently the Opel Astra diesel is available with M/T. And a manual park brake.
Astra Specs (http://www.opel-australia.com.au/vehicles/opel-range/cars/astra-hatchback/specifications/engines-transmissions.html)

Golf7
15-05-2013, 05:32 PM
No it's not. It's a great engine. Far superior to the current GTD engine. Msport pack is a must for handling, but stock vs stock the F20 and F30 are far superior to drive than the the Golf or Passat.

You are sounding far too much like a fanboy rather than an objective individual.

The GTD was not great in my opinion as well... Why on earth would you not get the 320i? Its way smoother... Doesn't loose much in the way of efficiency.

stormshark
15-05-2013, 09:03 PM
GTD was priced too close to GTI -$5k difference at least required in terms of performance,and to pull the non diesel converts.

pologti18t
15-05-2013, 09:08 PM
GTD was priced too close to GTI -$5k difference at least required in terms of performance,and to pull the non diesel converts.

Diesels are usually priced MORE than the equivalent petrol.

Njay
15-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Have you driven a BMW before? They have 50/50 weight balance, better steering feedback, rwd and the 2.0d goes all right

BMW hands down over golf

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Golf7
15-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Have you driven a BMW before? They have 50/50 weight balance, better steering feedback, rwd and the 2.0d goes all right

BMW hands down over golf

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Take a drive in the latest 3 series and you won't even know where to start if it doesn't have the adaptive suspension. The rear end constantly bottoms out over large bumps and undulations, on the dynamometer the engine was bouncing on its mounts at 1.3khz. The car is a real disappointment, Mercedes C class still leads the pack with the new IS set to please those that were disappointed with the new 3 series. The old one however, was a drivers dream...

cktsi
16-05-2013, 06:36 AM

I have the F30 328i. Make sure you test the 320d on the freeway and coarse chip road before making the switch.

The sound insulation is not exactly refined. I am disappointed in this one aspect of the car as to me it indicates build quality.

FWIW I chose the 328i over the 320d because i couldnt get over BMW's diesel noise.

It is disappointing the GTD isnt coming to Oz if the rumour is true. It would be one heck of a car with less weight and more power.

VUU
16-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Well after doing the numbers and test driving a highline TDI and TSI one after the other, I've ordered a 103TSI as my preferred city car. In the absence of a more premium diesel model (GTD), I could not ignore the responsiveness and economy of the TSI, at least for what I need (want ;)).

Dutch77
16-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Well after doing the numbers and test driving a highline TDI and TSI one after the other, I've ordered a 103TSI as my preferred city car. In the absence of a more premium diesel model (GTD), I could not ignore the responsiveness and economy of the TSI, at least for what I need (want ;)).

Congratulations.. the TSI will be well suited as a city car anyway.

Wait time? Pics once delivered.. :)

Ideo
16-05-2013, 09:03 AM
I have the F30 328i. Make sure you test the 320d on the freeway and coarse chip road before making the switch.

The sound insulation is not exactly refined. I am disappointed in this one aspect of the car as to me it indicates build quality.

FWIW I chose the 328i over the 320d because i couldnt get over BMW's diesel noise.

It is disappointing the GTD isnt coming to Oz if the rumour is true. It would be one heck of a car with less weight and more power.

I'm doing 50,000km a year so the money is actually worth it for the diesel. 85% of that is on the freeway, so it makes sense for me. If I wasn't I wouldn't bother with a diesel. It's unfortunately becoming a business rather than emotional decision. Hence my choice between getting a mile muncher or catching the train during the week and having something like a Saab 9000 to waft around in for work and a secondhand Boxster S for weekend.

I was impressed with the 320D but that had the M power pack so better suspension etc.

I'm coming from a Golf R so not the last word in noise suppression to be honest.

They only had the 328i in normal suspension, and I'd only get it with the M suspension pack anyway, so might find out with other dealers. There is more fuel usage but it is a very fuel efficient engine for what it is.

cktsi
16-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm doing 50,000km a year so the money is actually worth it for the diesel. 85% of that is on the freeway, so it makes sense for me. If I wasn't I wouldn't bother with a diesel. It's unfortunately becoming a business rather than emotional decision. Hence my choice between getting a mile muncher or catching the train during the week and having something like a Saab 9000 to waft around in for work and a secondhand Boxster S for weekend.

I was impressed with the 320D but that had the M power pack so better suspension etc.

I'm coming from a Golf R so not the last word in noise suppression to be honest.

They only had the 328i in normal suspension, and I'd only get it with the M suspension pack anyway, so might find out with other dealers. There is more fuel usage but it is a very fuel efficient engine for what it is.

Off topic but fwiw it is true the adaptive is mandatory. I haven't driven a passive sports suspension but the adaptive on my car feels so much better tied down on the big undulations and hits on suburban and freeway.

I felt the R was quiet on the racetrack at eastern creek even at high speeds.

I wanted to test the TDI highline but the dealer was closing for the day. i expect that to be quieter than the BMW F30. If you are doing mostly freeway wouldn't you want a quieter car at freeway cruising speeds like the golf?

Ideo
16-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Depends on tyres. My Golf is much quieter on the Eagle F1 asym 2s that I have now than the Bridgestones it came with. It was loud as hell on them.

I wouldn't touch the TDI highline as VW are unable to build a reliable automatic transmission and think Australians are too stupid to work out how to use 3 pedals. Other wise I'd get one as a motorway mile muncher.

VUU
16-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Congratulations.. the TSI will be well suited as a city car anyway.

Wait time? Pics once delivered.. :)

Thanks. I am pleased to have finally made a decision :P
Wait time up to 1 month. I ordered the DAP and it appears VW Aust imported very few DAP-equipped cars in the 'first batch'. My car is sitting with customs atm...

Pictures will definitely come ASAP.

stormshark
16-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Diesels are usually priced MORE than the equivalent petrol.

Yes, aware of that but i feel the GTD's taget market was to close to the GTI's but the car itself (performance wise etc) was well short and should've been priced accordingly, if that makes sense.

REGS12
22-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Yes, aware of that but i feel the GTD's taget market was to close to the GTI's but the car itself (performance wise etc) was well short and should've been priced accordingly, if that makes sense.

All I can say is that I hope that VW do release Mk 7 GTD here because after owning and being amazed by my Mk 6 GTD I was looking forward to updating .
I disagree with people claiming poor or lacklustre performance from the GTD. I've done 46,000 kms with ours and find it to be as quick point to point as anything I've owned as well as giving remarkable fuel economy. I'll wager that when I go to sell it on carsales, that I will have little trouble obtaining a premium price.

GTD Dubber
22-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I agree with REGS12. After owning a manual 103TDI for 3 years and then buying a GTD, I couldn't be happier. I am not trying to convert anyone just saying that after owning petrol cars all my life (a 59 YO), I'm extremely happy with my GTD. I was always sceptical of diesel cars but am a true convert now. I just think, it's horses for courses and never close off your mind to alternatives. It will be a real shame if they don't bring the Mk 7 GTD here, IMHO.

cktsi
23-05-2013, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't touch the TDI highline as VW are unable to build a reliable automatic transmission .

Toucheé. True.

If i cannot fully resolve all the road noise issues, and there are many on the F30, the real alternative as Golf 7 said is the C class.

I will likely sell mine and go to a C250CDI if i cant get the issues resolved.

I really appreciate VAG car sound insulation and design. Pity abt the inconsistent service culture and poor product reliability... Or else the GTD would be a cracker of a car to own.

Then again we seem to have lots of happy mk6 GTD owners here... But not with the hassle i got on my mk5 and mk6 golfs.

Dutch77
23-05-2013, 11:13 AM
..I'm extremely happy with my GTD. I was always sceptical of diesel cars but am a true convert now..

This ^. I'd never even remotely considered diesel until test driving a GTD, and almost ended up buying one. I just don't do the mileage to warrant the vehicle, in fact I'd end up with issues because of the small trips I make. If circumstances changed and I was on the road a lot more then the GTD would be a prime candidate.

Although I wouldn't be averse to the Merc C Class, but different cars and class, so not comparing apples with apples.

VUU
23-05-2013, 07:16 PM
It will be a real shame if they don't bring the Mk 7 GTD here, IMHO.

Totally agree. I'm sure if the GTD was coming to Aus I would have an order in now...

X-Rated
23-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Well, add me to the list of GTD fans. After five years in a Mk5 103TDI Sportline DSG (the first diesel, and the first automatic I'd ever owned), I moved to an Mk6 GTD DSG in December 2010. Neither has had any issues at all, and I rave about both cars to anyone silly enough to ask me what I think.

Obviously some owners don't have the same good experience that I've had, but I still think there's more happy than sad owners out there.

A.

GTD Dubber
23-05-2013, 08:12 PM
+1. Agreed

William_Foster
02-06-2013, 09:08 PM
I have been reading this thread with disappointment. I was considering trading my 6R Polo TDI in on a 110 TDI, but then thinking I may as well wait for the GTD given that with a few options the 110 TDI was heading north of $45k; and given that the GTD is most likely to get the 8" Discover Navigation Pro rather than the 5.8" Discover Navigation. The Polo TDI was my first adventure in diesel power and I am really impressed, apart from the looming DPF replacement cost in the future. Having driven the TSI and TDI Mk7, I felt the TDI blew the TSI away in terms of torque (As expected) but also in speed (Even though the technical data tells me I'm wrong). I'd definitely be interested in the GTD if VW Australia decides to import it.

phaeton
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
While VW have reduced the Golf range variations I highly believe (80%) that the GTD Mk7 will be in Australia maybe not straight away.

GTD Dubber
03-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Good news.

Alex31
04-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Just spoke to my sales person at my local dealer and she said that VW Australia had sent her an email that there will be a Golf 7 GTD early 2014.... finger crossed!!!

andrew7
04-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Excellent news (and follows rollout of Oz MK6 GTD which was a good 12-18mths post GTI as I recall). I'm likely to switch as will be doing more k's and will have likely have got the GTI out of my system in 2 years when the lease is up :)

VUU
04-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Just spoke to my sales person at my local dealer and she said that VW Australia had sent her an email that there will be a Golf 7 GTD early 2014.... finger crossed!!!

Great news indeed.

Golf7
05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
And what have i been saying all along? Im so glad that the GTD will be here before this time next year. VW Australia actaully got two of them in RHD now about a month back, trying to figure out the spec...

Amalgam
06-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Volkswagen Golf GTD Mk7 first drive review Review | Autocar (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf/first-drives/volkswagen-golf-gtd-mk7-first-drive-review)

Amalgam
10-06-2013, 04:16 PM
First look at Volkswagen Golf GTD – Car Reviews, News & Advice - CarPoint Australia (http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/first-look-at-volkswagen-golf-gtd-37019)

Looks like the GTD is coming after all.

VUU
11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
First look at Volkswagen Golf GTD – Car Reviews, News & Advice - CarPoint Australia (http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/first-look-at-volkswagen-golf-gtd-37019)

Looks like the GTD is coming after all.

Thanks for the heads-up. I may have missed it but the article doesn't refer to an Aus release (?) and the car shown is LHD.

Tobes_WIR35
29-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Here is a photo of a Mk7 GTD 3 door manual that I took whilst in Berlin recently. Looks very smart, especially with the 19" wheels.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/20130619_141237_zps881d9460-1.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/tobes_01/media/20130619_141237_zps881d9460.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/20130619_140946_zps8385dbe4-1.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/tobes_01/media/20130619_140946_zps8385dbe4.jpg.html)

DoggieHowser
29-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Those look like the 18" GTI rims. Thot the gtd has a different rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gigitt
29-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Those look like the 18" GTI rims. Thot the gtd has a different rim.

They are definitely NOT GTI rims.
And most likely the new GTD rim.
They have a directional triangle rim edge.

DoggieHowser
29-06-2013, 05:56 PM
They are definitely NOT GTI rims.
And most likely the new GTD rim.
They have a directional triangle rim edge.

Pretty sure it looks the same as the mk7 GTI one

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/VWGolfGTIMK76255B2255D-1.jpg

These were the gtd rims when it was announced.

http://photos.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_1137/car_photo_568591_7.jpg

Gigitt
29-06-2013, 07:06 PM
My bad.

Tobes_WIR35
29-06-2013, 08:31 PM
It says on the spec sheet it's fitted with 19" Santiago wheels.

Jimi
30-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Those are definitely not Santiagos. They're the Austin 18"

Tobes_WIR35
30-06-2013, 02:39 AM
That's not what the sign said next to the car

DoggieHowser
30-06-2013, 02:58 AM
That's not what the sign said next to the car

That may be the case but it doesn't mean it is labelled right.

In fact, the red calipers suggest it is a GTI.

The GTD doesn't seem to have red calipers in this photo

CAR's website, car news & car reviews | First drives & car information | CAR magazine online (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Shared/GalleryLightbox/GalleryLightbox.aspx?PageId=19792&Keywords=makeVolkswagen%2bmodelGOLF%2bBodyStyleHot +hatch%2bSectionReviews%2bTypeReviews%2bEngineType Diesel&Image=8&KeyValuePairs=kvManufacturer%3dVolkswagen%3bkvMode l%3dGOLF%3bkvBodyStyle%3dHothatch%3bkvSection%3dRe views%3bkvType%3dReviews%3bkvEngineType%3dDiesel%3 bkvPrice%3d2530%3b)

Tobes_WIR35
30-06-2013, 03:41 AM
Ah shoot I just realized I linked the wrong photograph. Yes that's a GTI

Tobes_WIR35
30-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Here is the GTD photo

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/20130619_140940_zps4d39d498-1.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/tobes_01/media/20130619_140940_zps4d39d498.jpg.html)

thezoneR32
30-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Will the GTD get the LSD?

DoggieHowser
30-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Will the GTD get the LSD?

Only the XDS

thezoneR32
01-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Only the XDS

Bummer.

dubstyle
04-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Bummer.

XDS is brill. Makes my 110tdi feel handle like a GTi.

Eaglehawk
04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
XDS is brill. Makes my 110tdi feel handle like a GTi.

Erm, I don't think the 110TDI comes with XDS. It's in the previous generation Mk6 GTI and the Polo GTI. Am I wrong?

DoggieHowser
04-07-2013, 11:37 PM
I think the XDS is available in the regular Golfs (Mk 7) now. Maybe not in the base model?

Eaglehawk
05-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Yep, you're right.

2013 Volkswagen Golf Review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/194006/2013-volkswagen-golf-review/)

Is the only review to mention it. Not even the brochure has it listed. Weird.

dubstyle
05-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Erm, I don't think the 110TDI comes with XDS. It's in the previous generation Mk6 GTI and the Polo GTI. Am I wrong?

No, its definitely in the new Golf 7. Well in the highline at least.

AdamD
05-07-2013, 09:17 AM

All Mk7 Golfs, including the base model, get XDL; see this post (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-australian-specifications-prices-base-comfortline-highline-84598-2.html#post939900).

tonymy01
09-07-2013, 07:50 AM
The GTD here looks pretty cool, funny adverts they are running for it implying some great power:
http://www.wuv.de/marketing/nicht_im_auto_essen_die_neuen_golf_spots_von_ddb
After driving a TDI Passat, I can understand the enthusiasm for turbo diesels now, that thing for regular driving felt like it had more power than my R (obviously if I really rev the R is where it really shows who is boss, but off the mark when doing the subtle plant it from a traffic light stop, the turbo diesel felt unreal). So I can understand the desire for a sporty diesel.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

dubstyle
16-07-2013, 05:52 PM
@tonmy01 go drive the new 110tdi Highline Golf.

More powerful and lighter than the Mk6 and XDS means that it sticks like glue even on wet roundabouts.

I used to have a mk5 R32 and I like you said give it a really good rev and a Golf R/R32 would eat it up, but for 99% of my driving I'd pick the highline.

Ryan_R
28-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Looks like the new GTD definitely still has that Soundaktor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtNZs69TKh0&list=UU0US_GEXVmwMH04OMcNuhpQ&feature=player_detailpage

ecka
07-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Has anyone heard any more information concerning whether a Mk7 GTD variant will be coming to Australia?
I sent an email enquiry to VW Australia about a month ago and their response was non committal.
Thinking about updating but wondering if its worth waiting.

Frankenstrat
22-08-2013, 01:09 PM
IF we get the MkVII GTD, will it be available with M/T? For some bizarre reason VWA have taken it upon themselves to deny me (and others) in Australia the opportunity to purchase a diesel Golf with manual transmission.

tigger73
22-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Usual story is to keep info on upcoming models scant so you have to buy the ones on the showroom floor now.

Given the GTD is 6 months off its likely that they're hoping people will buy the 110TDI.

And by spreading things out it keeps people flocking back to the showrooms ;)

Eaglehawk
22-08-2013, 04:07 PM
I remember this happening back in 2005. I wanted the Golf Mk5 TDI but in Sportline spec. "No, no, no, will never happen". After waiting 5.5 months for the Comfortline to be delivered, guess what appeared in the showroom.

jessv3
25-08-2013, 08:47 PM
I would be very surprised if Volkswagen didn't bring the GTD to Aus, diesels are becoming more and more popular and the GTD is an important sports diesel model for the line up. The mk6 might have been a slow seller but I doubt they will give up on it yet.

Diesel sales up 60% | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/diesel-car-sales-in-australia-up-60-per-cent-new-abs-figures-show/story-fndo48ca-1226456056158)

andrew7
26-08-2013, 10:09 AM
^ Agreed. Expect a long delay in GTD arriving in oz due to big demand in UK/Europe (as per MK6 GTD).

Ryan_R
10-09-2013, 09:20 AM
2015 Volkswagen GTD First Drive - Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/21/2015-volkswagen-gtd-first-drive-review/)

Nice wheels on there, although the car looks like it should be lowered a bit more on them

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/lead42015volkswagengtdfd-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/lead32015volkswagengtdfd-1.jpg http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/lead22015volkswagengtdfd-1.jpg

polski_ogurek
23-09-2013, 05:39 PM
IF we get the MkVII GTD, will it be available with M/T? For some bizarre reason VWA have taken it upon themselves to deny me (and others) in Australia the opportunity to purchase a diesel Golf with manual transmission.

This is exactly how i feel, at this stage I'm too much of a student to buy a mkVII but when the time comes, i want to be able to get a Diesel Manual.

Currently you cannot buy a single passenger vehicle in diesel with a manual gearbox, sad really.

Ryan_R
23-09-2013, 06:21 PM
I know someone who has a Nissan Xtrail that is a manual turbo-diesel... if you'd call that a 'passenger car'. :)

pologti18t
23-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Not sure if this has been shown yet.... GTI vs GTD drag

http://youtu.be/kgOiUofMdTo

Sootchucker
27-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Just received mine here in the UK

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/9799876713_fa2ba607b6_b-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/9799876713/)
DSC_0976 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/9799876713/) by Sootchucker (http://www.flickr.com/people/58190042@N03/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/9799877403_4e4ee93318_b-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/9799877403/)
DSC_0971 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/9799877403/) by Sootchucker (http://www.flickr.com/people/58190042@N03/), on Flickr

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/9799792815_ca22aa86c5_b-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/9799792815/)
DSC_0974 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58190042@N03/9799792815/) by Sootchucker (http://www.flickr.com/people/58190042@N03/), on Flickr

Absolute stellar car !

AdamD
28-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Looks great Sootchucker! :cool:

stickshift3000
30-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Currently you cannot buy a single passenger vehicle in diesel with a manual gearbox, sad really.

Honda civic dti-s.

pologti18t
30-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Honda civic dti-s.

Mazda 3 is still available with diesel and manual.

Ideo
30-09-2013, 03:12 PM
This is exactly how i feel, at this stage I'm too much of a student to buy a mkVII but when the time comes, i want to be able to get a Diesel Manual.

Not really true...

New Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars/results.aspx?Vertical=Car&eapi=2&N=2994+3296+3035+4294965742&Silo=Spec&Nne=15&tsrc=sr-landing-search&Ns=p_HasPhotos_Int32|1||p_IsSpecialOffer_Int32|1|| p_Year_String|1||p_ReleaseMonth_Int32|1||p_Make_St ring|0||p_Family_String|0)

polski_ogurek
02-10-2013, 09:46 PM

I was referring to the VW line-up(assumed i didnt need to mention that, considering the whole thread is about VWs), personally, i wouldn't buy most of the cars you all mentioned for various reasons. but each to their own i guess.

REGS12
03-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Received news today which was a huge disappointment to me that the Golf GTD has been discontinued from the range and that It would not be carried over to the mk 7 range. That came from both Sydney and Geelong.
Will need to adjust my plans now. I'm a little shell-shocked, because there was never another option other than updating our mk 6 to a mk 7. Bugger.

LunchboxVRS
03-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Received news today which was a huge disappointment to me that the Golf GTD has been discontinued from the range and that It would not be carried over to the mk 7 range. That came from both Sydney and Geelong.
Will need to adjust my plans now. I'm a little shell-shocked, because there was never another option other than updating our mk 6 to a mk 7. Bugger.

Did you not see the pictures above. There is a mk7 golf GTD. Wether it will get to aus is the question

tigger73
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM

Don't believe everything you hear especially from dealers. I had one tell me they had no idea when the new model was coming out and they had the new cars around the back in their holding yard.

I guess the guy was "technically" correct as he didn't know when they were going to be "released". But from a customer perspective quite deceptive and just looking to make sales on what they have available today.

Still if you're not in a hurry I'd give it 12 months and then expect to see the GTD arrive here. GTI is here now so Golf R will be first quarter then GTD about 3-6 months after that is my guess.

Keep it staggered out and have people flocking back to the showrooms with the launch of each model/variant. If they launched them all at once they would have nothing to tell people about until the Mk8.

REGS12
04-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Lunchbox,
I was referring to Australia. We're all aware of mk 7 GTD.

spikeyboy22
08-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Volkswagen to look at hot diesel Golf and three-door GTI as limited-run specials
By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS
VOLKSWAGEN is still contemplating launching the new-generation Golf GTD performance diesel model in Australia, as well as the three-door GTI.
But these niche vehicles may still be upwards of 12 months away, as the company will not commit to them as permanent members of the Golf club after very limited sales of the previous- generation versions.
The GTI three-door in particular struggled to account for more than five per cent of total Golf volume, despite being keenly priced at $38,990, compared to its more expensive five-door sibling.
In the interim, Volkswagen will concentrate on establishing the completely redesigned GTI five- door, as well as its higher-output GTI Performance and the flagship Golf R 4Motion all-wheel-drive models that
will follow during 2014.
Speaking at the Mk7 Golf GTI five-
door launch in Tasmania last week, Volkswagen Group Australia managing director John White revealed that fans of both the GTD and three-door iterations should not lose hope, particularly if there is enough groundswell demand for them in their new seventh-generation guise.
“Right now it is not on the plan for the GTD,” he said. “The jury is still out about what the potential opportunity is with the car in this market, but currently there are no immediate plans.
“(However) it doesn’t stop us considering it as a special-edition model for later on, but in the same way we may want to consider the three-door GTI as a special-edition example.
“But to have it in the line-up based
GTD
on the sales result of the previous generation, it is not something that we are going to bring in as a permanent staple in our line-up.
“It’s not out of the question, but we were looking at about a five per cent installation rate on the previous- generation (GTI three-door). It does give you a lower entry price point, obviously, and that will appeal to certain numbers of our clients.
“But we are going to focus on the five-door right now. We will only bring in the others once we evaluate demand from dealers and from our customers.
“I don’t want to discount it as a now- or-never (proposition) ... but we are trying to keep the line-up as simple as possible. That won’t appease everyone.

tonymy01
08-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Disappointing still. The GTD is a worthy vehicle in their line up. After driving a TDI, or whatever it is called,I was blown away by the low RPM grunt, would give my car a run for its money at a 0-80km/hr traffic light drag I think, so the gtd is that much nicer& subtle power boost over TDI.

ecka
13-10-2013, 04:25 PM
At the dealer yesterday talking about GTI. Asked about when/if GTD coming to Aust.

His response was its not coming, citing petrol GTI has now had significant upgrade to torque and a corresponding reduction in fuel consumption to nearly that of a diesel engine so they would not be offered/released in Australia. Simplifying their range.

Bad news for the moment.

Lets hope they change their mind in the future.

tigger73
13-10-2013, 05:45 PM
At the dealer yesterday talking about GTI. Asked about when/if GTD coming to Aust.

His response was its not coming, citing petrol GTI has now had significant upgrade to torque and a corresponding reduction in fuel consumption to nearly that of a diesel engine so they would not be offered/released in Australia. Simplifying their range.

Bad news for the moment.

Lets hope they change their mind in the future.

Salesman just wants to sell you the car he has available right now.

And yes no guarantees that the GTD will get brought in but it's likely that the 3 door GTI and 5 door GTD models may come in a mid-model update when the marketing boffins are looking for ideas to pick up sales.

thezoneR32
29-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Just notice this on carsales:

Skoda Octavia RS 2014 Review – Car Reviews, News & Advice - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/skoda/octavia/skoda-octavia-rs-2014-review-41297)

Im assuming this is the new GTD engine which isnt coming? Is this old news to everyone?

2014 Skoda Octavia RS 2.0 TDI pricing and specifications:
Price: $TBA (plus on-road costs)
Engine: 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel
Output: 135kW/380Nm
Transmission: Six-speed manual / Six-speed dual-clutch
Fuel: 4.6L/100km (combined)
CO2: 119g/km (combined)
Safety Rating: Five-star EuroNCAP

Jondalar
29-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Sure looks that way, details of the new Octavia already on skoda.com.au (without the RS though) however interesting to find pricing about on par with the Golf, certainly if you want the 110 TDI...

readerr0r
29-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Yes the Octavia RS TDI & TSI both have the same running gear as the mk7 GTD & GTI.

It's worth noting though that only 2 TDI Octavia RS' have been loaded onto boats and sent to Aus, compared to 48 TSI RS'.

occy
29-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Yes the Octavia RS TDI & TSI both have the same running gear as the mk7 GTD & GTI.

It's worth noting though that only 2 TDI Octavia RS' have been loaded onto boats and sent to Aus, compared to 48 TSI RS'.

Where did you get those numbers?

godzilla_110TDI
30-01-2014, 05:05 AM
^^ +1

And when are they due? Do you know what combo's are on board?

readerr0r
30-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Skoda has much more detailed VIN numbers compared to VW's

The first sequence of a Skoda VIN details where it was built, the model, the engine and number of airbags.
So, TMBBK7NE is a Skoda Octavia Mk3 with 7 airbags and the 2.0 TDI engine (thus, RS TDI). TMBBE7NE is the petrol model.

Using the W&W website, which people usually use to track their orders on the way to Aus, we can see that currently 48 TSI's have made their journey here (and a lot of them have already been 'delivered', probably to a holding yard until launch) and 2 TDI's have been sent.

According to a recent Aus review of the RS, its due to be launched in March.

This is the list of TSI's
http://imageshack.com/a/img835/7483/n7v4.png

Timbo
10-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Hi, old member returning as we need to replace my wife's Mk5 GT TDI. She has her heart set on the Mk7 GTD, but I've read...and all dealers say...nada, not happening. So, before we do something silly, I'm just checking if everyone believes that's absolutely the case. Because we were also told last year we wouldn't see the GTI PP, and now it's here. I know it is a case of never say never, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard any positive chat about the GTD?

tigger73
10-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Your information is correct - there are no vehicle approvals for the GTD in the Golf range. The closest you could get is a 110TDI with an R-line kit. Though in the Mk6, the GTD was released late in the model cycle so it's still possible it could get brought here but at this stage it's not on the cards.

The other alternative is the GTD engine is about to come out in the MY15 Tiguan (130TDI) which I believe you will also be able to get as an R-line in the update. This is due at the dealers next month.

The only other option you have is picking up a low km Mk6 GTD: 2012 Volkswagen Golf VI GTD MY13 Direct-Shift Gearbox (http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Volkswagen-Golf-2012/AGC-AD-15987191/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1)

It's a pity but VWA thinks we don't need a GTD as the GTI has pretty good fuel economy and the torque out of the Gen3 EA888 2.0 petrol is about the same.

vdubmotorworx
10-08-2014, 05:18 PM
No GTD 7...they are in the UK but NOT coming to AUS unless things changed but they didnt sell many MK6 so I think thats why. When you look on carsales you will only see about 20 mk6 GTD's for sale.

I would recommend the MK6 to you, a lot nicer than the MK5. Get a test drive in one, you will like it. If I ever change the Jetta I will be getting a MK6 GTD....VDUB...

Timbo
10-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. It is as I thought, but just wanted to check. Unlikely to be interested in a 2nd hand Mk 6 unless it meets her spec, ie, leather, heated seats, bi-xenons, Nav, full B/T.

Looks like its time for a GTI :D

andrew7
10-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Timbo note that you'll need to choose a GTI with performance pack if you want bi-xenons (can't get option them on the base GTI anymore).

Dutch77
10-08-2014, 06:57 PM
I think the rumours of GTI PP not coming were more misinformation from claimed reliable sources rather than fact; but highly unlikely the Mk7 GTD will see the light of day here. As above, sales were simply not high enough.

Probably need to ask what you really want the car for: if it's the diesel, then the R-Line Highline is a sweet vehicle, and easily tuneable to GTD level if desired. If petrol is fine then you probably need to still work out whether outright performance is the goal, or having the options boxes ticked is. A loaded GTI is pretty expensive, and as Andrew said you're forced to take a PP to get the xenons which means getting stuck with 19s etc.

Timbo
10-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Hmm, thanks for the info about the GTI. All this is making an Octy VRS TDI attractive.

Dutch77
10-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Hmm, thanks for the info about the GTI. All this is making an Octy VRS GTD attractive.

Well optioned/specced, wagon space.. great buying - if you can get your hands on one.

Eaglehawk
09-10-2014, 09:20 AM
*DROOL*

Golf GTD R under consideration – Car Reviews, News & Advice - CarPoint Australia (http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2014/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/golf-gtd-r-under-consideration-46672)

Of course, it probably won't come to Australia...

GolfVII
10-10-2014, 10:52 AM
I was waiting for the Mk7 GTD in AUS but due to the marketing team in VWA I had to make my own version with a lower spec TDi engine

So I went the 110TDI Highline with R-Line sports pack, on paper it looks like a AUS GTI with a turbo diesel engine.

Specs like:

Progressive Steering
Sports Suspension, lowered approximately 15mm
leather covered sports steering wheel with R-Line badge and gearshift paddles
18x7.5" Salvador alloy wheels in grey metallic with 225/40 R18 tyres
Aluminium finish accelerator and break pedals
Comfort sport seats
Black headlining

All give it that GTI/GTD feel you see in the overseas market. but with the R-line pack it gets the look of the 7R.

if VWA do bring out the GTD with the 4motion and a bi-turbo diesel engine as hinted to in the above article, half the people who would have purchased a VW TDI in the last 2 years already have a new car they will not be willing to part with thier car so soon and then you will see VWA showing poor sales for this "concept" car. If VWA wants to turn over more cars they need to allow people to spec any Golf how they want just like on the UK VW site.

I have family member waiting 2 years from a Merc! so waiting for a $60k car for 3-5 months with everything you want and spending $10-$15k more than the RRP just to get what the you want in a Golf and possibly a good experience from VW. Then VWA would have even more sales for these unique Golfs!

Its so sad that outside Europe, VW don't listen to their customers for that local market. I wonder who is cock-blocking all these cool upgrades/configurations here in AUS?

Ryan_R
10-10-2014, 11:39 AM
The optioning method you desire was the method used for the Mk6 Golf... I'm sure VWA will be able to compare both to work out what's better (for them).