PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue Detection System

Rawcpoppa
01-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Aka Driver Alert System.

Can anyone explain to me how it is supposed to work and also what control modules are required to make it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillbilly
01-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Aka Driver Alert System.

Can anyone explain to me how it is supposed to work and also what control modules are required to make it work?

It is actually called Attention Control System and is on page 253 of your Passat manual (or is in mine)

Can be enabled or disabled in MFD Mine hasnt got it as I have the Driver assistance Package

Maybe they think if you buy an up market model you wont go to sleep ROFL

Twin_Dad
01-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I think it is tied in with the lane asistance. Maybe if you creep over the line more than 3 times in a given period it buzzes the wheel / seat and warns on the MFD.

Hillbilly
01-05-2013, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Twin_Dad;945982]I think it is tied in with the lane asistance. Maybe if you creep over the line more than 3 times in a given period it buzzes the wheel / seat and warns on the MFD.[/QUOTE
Dont know about that unless they now chuck lane assist in standard was an extra on mine and the base model had the fatigue system

Eaglen00b
01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Aka Driver Alert System.

Quoted from the VW CC Brochure :-

"The driver Fatigue Detection system automatically analyses the driving characteristics and if they indicate possible fatigue, recommends that the driver takes a break. The system continually evaluates steering wheel movements along with other signals in the vehicle on motorways and others roads at speeds in excess of 65 km/h, and calculates a fatigue estimate.If fatigue is detected, the driver is warned by information in the Multi-function Display (MFD Premium) and an acoustic signal. The warning is repeated after 15 minutes if the driver has not taken a break.

Fatigue Detection cannot replace the driver’s assertiveness. The driver is still legally responsible for the vehicle and therefore determining whether or not they are fi t to drive. A driving time of 15 minutes is required in order to assess the driver correctly. The functionality of the system is restricted given a sporty driving style, winding roads and poor road surfaces."

Eaglen00b
01-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Quoted from the VW CC Brochure :-

"The driver Fatigue Detection system automatically analyses the driving characteristics and if they indicate possible fatigue, recommends that the driver takes a break. The system continually evaluates steering wheel movements along with other signals in the vehicle on motorways and others roads at speeds in excess of 65 km/h, and calculates a fatigue estimate.If fatigue is detected, the driver is warned by information in the Multi-function Display (MFD Premium) and an acoustic signal. The warning is repeated after 15 minutes if the driver has not taken a break.

Fatigue Detection cannot replace the driver’s assertiveness. The driver is still legally responsible for the vehicle and therefore determining whether or not they are fi t to drive. A driving time of 15 minutes is required in order to assess the driver correctly. The functionality of the system is restricted given a sporty driving style, winding roads and poor road surfaces."

I presume the upshot is that VW assumes you never get fatigued driving at speeds less than 65km/h since the FDS doesn't work below that speed? :P

Hillbilly
01-05-2013, 06:57 PM
I presume the upshot is that VW assumes you never get fatigued driving at speeds less than 65km/h since the FDS doesn't work below that speed? :P

We have been driving cars now for over 100 years and shouldnt need this to tell you when you are tired. The 65kph figure is probably set as under that you will be in city traffic and hopefully wont be reading a book or something and will be paying attention to what you should be doing.
Out on the open roads and in other countries where the roads may be straighter and a bit more boring this may be a good thing. However on a recent USA trip we were doing well over 500 MILES a day sometimes and I didnt feel the need to have a rest.

I am however used to doing 12hour shifts in heavy vehicles.

Eaglen00b
01-05-2013, 07:35 PM
My apologies, I believe the sarcasm key on my keyboard may have been broken when I posted that.

:facepalm:

Hillbilly
01-05-2013, 08:04 PM
My apologies, I believe the sarcasm key on my keyboard may have been broken when I posted that.

:facepalm: Sorry missed that LOL

Rawcpoppa
01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys. I don't own a Passat CC so no way for me to check the manual. I was asking about it as I was wondering if it could be enabled via vcds/VAGCOM in other models as it all seems very software related in terms of how it works.

It's also why I wanted to know what control module controls the feature.

Bambazonke
13-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys. I don't own a Passat CC so no way for me to check the manual. I was asking about it as I was wondering if it could be enabled via vcds/VAGCOM in other models as it all seems very software related in terms of how it works.

It's also why I wanted to know what control module controls the feature.

You are quite correct re being software related. I am researching the subject at present together with indirect TPMS option for my Tiguan.

To activate the driver Fatigue and TPMS function you need to change the coding in the ABS module which inturn generates a "virtual module" called #4C. This module is like the old module 46 ie it exists in name but physically is part of the ABS module. This "module" controls all the settings in the MFD to set up the TPMS and driver fatigue options. Getting the correct coding to do this has been difficult as it varies from model to model as well as transmission engine RHD LHD etc.

I have been collecting data from various Tiguan owners here in Australia Europe and the USA and from what I have seen on the Vortex VCDS threads. I am hoping to have something of substance in the next few weeks regarding the coding.

Unfortunately there is no long coding helper in VCDS to help at this stage but I am sure at some stage Ross Tech will crack it. They appear to be very coy about the subject as I have raised a few posts about these "software options" but sadly no response from any of their team members re it's progress or how to recode the #3 ABS module to activate the functions.

Rawcpoppa
14-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Is there anyway I can help? Do you need scans from a euro spec jetta? Steering wheel on the right as we drive on the left portion of the road.

I have the indirect tyre pressure monitoring activated via retrofit. I enabled the tire pressure control module in the canbus controller then in the abs controller.

GippsCC
01-06-2013, 01:59 PM
However the Fatigue Detection works, I will say it seems pretty accurate. I had it pop up for the first time the other day, when I was dead tired (having got off an overnight flight). Luckily I didn't have far to travel.

Bambazonke
01-06-2013, 03:29 PM
However the Fatigue Detection works, I will say it seems pretty accurate. I had it pop up for the first time the other day, when I was dead tired (having got off an overnight flight). Luckily I didn't have far to travel.
Any chance you can send me an auto scan of your car. Highly likely your CC shares the same ABS module as the Tig

GippsCC
02-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Any chance you can send me an auto scan of your car. Highly likely your CC shares the same ABS module as the Tig

Sure - ABS module auto-scan return:
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 3AA-614-109.clb
Part No SW: 3AA 614 109 AR HW: 3AA 614 109 AR
Component: J104 C2 450M V506 0030
Revision: --H07--- Serial number: 00000006496474
Coding: 0121788
Shop #: WSC 05311 000 00000
VCID: 7DDF1B252455A4F04AA

No fault code found.