PDA

View Full Version : Rally Golfs

Bluerex
01-06-2005, 06:53 PM
OK now I know from my ebay snooping that I am not the only one building a MK1 for rally use. So come on you mob, 'fess up and share the experience.

You can find the start of my project at http://www.malamovers.com/manage/site.php?id=65

C

TassieGTi
02-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I have been invoved in building rally and circuit Golfs and one is currently doing Tarmac rallies here in 05

syncro
02-06-2005, 09:26 AM
The first GTI ever to come to Australia was a rally car.

GoLfMan
02-06-2005, 05:37 PM
that car looks pretty good mate. but the rust!!!! i was lucky got a 76 2 door for $150 and basicaly no rust. i love these cars. keep the updates coming im interested
:)

Bluerex
04-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I should post pics of the good bits to be fair :D
The rust nearly turne me off the car as a base for the rally project, but after talkin to the guys on the UK mk1 forums, I decided to give it a go. The rust is limited to the passenger floor, seat cross mount forwards... Nick at the farm has offered to cut a solid bit of floor out of one of his wrecks so that will be the go I hope!

John Rawson in Melbourne has been building a number of mk1's for Vic rally use. He has also campaigned on himself quite successfully. He is going to build the roll-cage for me + reinforce the front chassis etc etc. Wonder how he feels about floor replacement while he has the axe out :lol:

Charles... more pic to come

Golfwise
04-06-2005, 12:18 PM
What a ripper The car that is.
We are spoilt here in Aus with minimal rust and I can't see yours as a problem.Thats nothing to repair to keep a mk1 2door from the scrap heap.
Anyone who gets one without floor or front pillar rust is very lucky.
I wouldn't go silly with seam welding as it is very time consuming although some areas up the front would help particularly the turrets.
If you are putting in a cage weld it via brackets to the body.
Bond Roll cages still have the jigs for mk1 Golfs and may save your man a lot of bending.Buy a Bond in pieces and weld it in .
I ve done it this way and saved heaps.
Got to go will help whenever I can.
Ed

ps I've got one here I'm restoring and it is worse for rust but very straight otherwise.
They don't make them anymore

HillFlog
09-06-2005, 04:35 PM
I was going to build a rally golf MK1 but I'm now concentrating on a hillclimb/motorkhana/trackday fun car instead. Its a long way from done but I'm starting to fire up for it now. What are you doing to the engine?

Show us some pics of your progress :)

copb8
10-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Nice little jigger you have there BlueRex :)

Basic rule of thumb - Make it strong, real strong.

GoLfMan
10-06-2005, 01:21 PM
jesus mate they are some impressive figures of you car there.... show us some fotos copb8!!!!

copb8
10-06-2005, 02:02 PM
She ain't pretty but she's quick!

http://xs32.xs.to/pics/05235/18T.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs32&d=05235&f=18T.jpg)

evorobin
10-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Without wishing to be rude what does a 1.8T cost you in oz. It's $10K fitted in the UK, did you provide the engine or did they?

imported_brackie
10-06-2005, 04:55 PM

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs32&d=05235&f=18T.jpg)

I reckon she's beautiful!

GoLfMan
10-06-2005, 06:34 PM
im inclined to agree with brackie... she is beautiful!!!! and it aint bout the show its bout the go :twisted:

el_foolio
10-06-2005, 11:42 PM
same here, i reckon she's purdy :P

TassieGTi
12-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Sounds impressive......but how come it is LHD as you can see from the pic?

evorobin
12-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Sounds impressive......but how come it is LHD as you can see from the pic?

Good point which states allow LHD for cars under 25 years?

Golf Loon
12-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Not NSW

imported_brackie
13-06-2005, 07:49 AM
WA does

mrgolf
19-06-2005, 08:30 PM

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs32&d=05235&f=18T.jpg)

Hey Copb8, when you going to surface at a local gtg to show your beast? I have been driving the roads of Canberra for years in my 2, and I havent seen yours yet. Cmon. Out of the closet, mate. I want to see it!!!

TassieGTi
19-06-2005, 09:09 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm :? Pics of the engine would be great too! If these cars do exist, some of them need to surface at the Sydney VW Easter show! At least we have a decent excuse in Tassie! :)

Golf Loon
19-06-2005, 09:57 PM
I don`t believe that copb8s car exists. Prove me wrong. Could be our first incidence of fraudulent posting.

el_foolio
19-06-2005, 10:31 PM
ooooh, nasty. you have me interested, lets see some more specific pics. any requests anyone?

ausgolfer
14-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah we'd love to see some pics of this car. If we haven't already scared him off. LHD is a bit sus though, and there's no Maron Performance listen in Australia on white pages dot com. :P

ausgolfer
14-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Also is that a Carbon fibre bonnet on Copb8's car?? :roll:

GoLfMan
14-07-2005, 10:16 PM
I don`t believe that copb8s car exists. Prove me wrong. Could be our first incidence of fraudulent posting.
i think so he hasnt been back since.

HillFlog
15-07-2005, 09:28 AM
OK this post is officially killing me!

To put the record straight the copb8 golf does exist somewhere on the planet but one is not likely to see it in oz. Its more than likely a datto 1600 guy I know taking the micky, will have to teach him some vw restepa very soon.

MaronMotorsports does exist, its what everybody calls my shed! Where currently in progress is my mk1 clubcar with 1.9 8v on throttle bodies Its used tongue in cheek as all my projects take heaps of time and never remain on track , shedule or budget:)

The good news is he will be punished in every hillclimb, motorkhana, track day by my MK1FLOG with half the horsepower for the rest of his life :)

GoLfMan
15-07-2005, 09:44 AM
now that we solved that problem... i wish you all the luck whoopin his arse :P

mrgolf
15-07-2005, 10:54 AM
hey Hillflog, who are you, which car do you own, and do I know you...Furthermore, if not, why not?

gotrice
15-07-2005, 03:53 PM
I have been to MMI (Maron Motorsport INternational) It does exist and has turned out some very neat machines the latest of which was a 911 slow. I have sought his advice with my current MK1 floG and he is very helpful and even at times humours.

Steve, you havent met him coz he moves in different circles but I am sure he will be at the next German show day (He will even wash his car unlike me....) as he wants to lay claim to the Best MK1 trophy. Also if you camp at Petes there is a chance of seeing him there too. 8-)

finemk1
16-07-2005, 12:23 AM
yo as a canberra, and being a person who just drives around eraticaly looking for people to race not any more as i get chaufferrd alot now, i have recently seen a blackish mk1 with "black betty" on the back window on a golf from the passengers veiw on a mid winters night from a mates car was just a glimps but i seen it, but ive also seen a another blackish dub cruzin the strrets of canberra with out a sticker on the back window, and ive been told about a "rad looking golf with a front mount canning around through traffic" so i beleive this dub is on canberra, ,bit like the loch ness monster i think

so copb8 we will have to meet up in a few weeks privatly of course so we can treasure each others ride, cheers bud

Bluerex
21-07-2005, 12:33 PM
yo as a canberra, and being a person who just drives around eraticaly looking for people to race not any more as i get chaufferrd alot now, i have recently seen a blackish mk1 with "black betty" on the back window on a golf from the passengers veiw on a mid winters night from a mates car was just a glimps but i seen it, but ive also seen a another blackish dub cruzin the strrets of canberra with out a sticker on the back window, and ive been told about a "rad looking golf with a front mount canning around through traffic" so i beleive this dub is on canberra, ,bit like the loch ness monster i think

so copb8 we will have to meet up in a few weeks privatly of course so we can treasure each others ride, cheers bud

Think we need forum software with Babel plug-in. Or else one mother of a spell checker
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

C

syncro
21-07-2005, 04:09 PM
He speaks Bankstown :shock:

Bluerex
21-07-2005, 04:33 PM
:twisted: Have you considered offering your services as an interpreter?

C :lol:

syncro
21-07-2005, 06:05 PM
:twisted: Have you considered offering your services as an interpreter?

C :lol:

Just watch "Pizza" & "Ali-G" for language education. :mrgreen:

Golf Loon
21-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah Innit.

Black Betty goes on this site sometime. Mad scotsman. Catch him if you can.