PDA

View Full Version : Turbo ECU needs replacing...

Robear
25-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi there,

My wifes 2008 Toureg has just been in for service at a VW dealer. It had a yellwo glow plug warning light coming up, with the manual suggesting an issue with the Turbo, and the car was intermittently running in limp mode. After 3 days in the shop, they suggested replacement at a cost of $4300 installed.

My question is are there some options I can look at that might be less costly, perhaps a private repairer, I am relatively close to BWA in Seven Hills, so will be calling Bob soon to discuss.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

vdubmotorworx
25-04-2013, 01:01 PM
so is the dealer saying it needs a new turbo? I had a turbo issue with a Touareg not long ago and the waste gate on the turbo was jammed, after some lube and working it came fine and fixed the issue... Do you know what the fault codes where that were logged??....

noone
25-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Wow, thats a lot of cash... How many Kms? I'd be asking VW why a car barely out of warranty has a stuffed turbo, if its done less than 50,000 kms. if its over 100, then its probably done its base life and due to be replaced.

As its a major cost, I'd ask VW for a report (specific info on the issue and cause), blocked oil lines can cook the turbo, has this dealer been servicing you for the life of your car?

I'd start with BWA. If it is the turbo, you could consider buying one from a UK dealer yourself. It would not surprise me if you could get it for close to $2k landed and pay someone some hundreds to replace (ballpark figures, assuming its the turbo only). Also, there are companies that service turbo's and replace components rather than binning a potentially serviceable device.

Good luck.

noone
25-04-2013, 01:31 PM
couple of threads if you want to read:

V10 Turbo Replacement - Club Touareg Forums (http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/v10-turbo-replacement-57799.html)

VWVortex.com - V10 TDI Turbo removal? (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5562395-V10-TDI-Turbo-removal)

Did they pull your engine out? sounds like that might be the only way to get to them to confirm they're stuffed.

Which engine?

h100vw
25-04-2013, 01:59 PM
A first glance I thought the ECU was tagged for replacement? Now maybe I see it's the turbo. As it's out of warranty, I'd be getting it back from VW and going to one of many VW independants in Sydney.

Gavin

Robear
26-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, the fault is actually with the ECU, not the Turbo which I perhaps didnt make clear in the OP. The quote from the Service report is as follows:

"Carried out service for engine ESP light on, Turbo Charger has internal fault, removed and cleaned actuator, refitted and cleared codes, roadtested, all ok, ECU required when fault re occurs" which it did when my wife picked up the car!

Car has done 80,000 km's

vdubmotorworx
26-04-2013, 09:42 AM
seems strange... but its hard to tell when you are not working on the car yourself, ECU replacement is not really that common, unless the fault code is "internal sum error" and even then I have cured one of those issue with a online update. I would get a second person to have a look now the light has returned...

noone
26-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Sounds like a poor conclusion (based on the info provided) that a new ECU would be required. It reads like it could be this, it could be that. tried this, now try that... I'm assuming that they can't reflash it or have not, seems new hardware is the easy (and profitable) option for VWA dealerships.

Robear
26-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Sounds like a poor conclusion (based on the info provided) that a new ECU would be required. It reads like it could be this, it could be that. tried this, now try that... I'm assuming that they can't reflash it or have not, seems new hardware is the easy (and profitable) option for VWA dealerships.

Considering they claimed to have the best electronic technician in the country working on the car, it was a dissapointing experience for a factory workshop, considering it took 3 days to get to that conclusion. The first two days they said they had no idea what it could be.

Another issue the car had was no lights through to the tow bar trailer connection, with no solution after the first day. They found it needed a fuse on the second day...

MHAuto
26-04-2013, 01:27 PM
If you can get us a fault code(s) we might be able to help a bit more rather than speculate.

Robear
26-04-2013, 05:42 PM
If you can get us a fault code(s) we might be able to help a bit more rather than speculate.

After 3 attempts to get a response, I have just spoken to the dealer...If anyone from VW is reading this and care about dissapointing customer service, let me know.

They are saying the fault is "turbo charger adjustment difficulty of movement or blocked" no codes were given...

Umai Naa!!
26-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Sounds like the actuator is sticking, or perhaps jammed.

Maybe a physical test of the wastegate actuator would confirm it?

Transporter
26-04-2013, 07:06 PM
After 3 attempts to get a response, I have just spoken to the dealer...If anyone from VW is reading this and care about dissapointing customer service, let me know.

They are saying the fault is "turbo charger adjustment difficulty of movement or blocked" no codes were given...

It maybe too late for you now but have a look in my earlier post; http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f75/touareg-v6-tdi-diy-maintenance-33831.html#post749857

All the best.

vdubmotorworx
27-04-2013, 06:25 AM
for that fault I would be looking directly at the actuator of the waste gate for the turbo, jammed. easy test with vac pump or final control.. and like I said ,seen one before, jammed, lubed and then was fine..........

Robear
29-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi guys,

I didnt want to jump in too early but after 3 days driving, it seems the problem has been resolved. Firstly Thanks for the suggestions, I actually used Transporters advice and picture, and sprayed the linkage with WD40 and the problem has gone away. Imagine my wifes surprise when faced with a $4300 Turbo ECU replacement, as suggested by the factory repairer, to have it fixed with a spray of WD40?? Needless to say she is very happy and ropeable (with VW) at the same time. VW had "the best electrical guy in Australia" looking at it for 3 days and it was fixed in 30 seconds, thanks to you all!

So again thanks to everyone for their suggestions, yet another reason to love forums!

volksMuller
30-04-2013, 04:12 PM
use copper grease for a lasting affect[ wurth cu880]...this should of been done on a 60k service...I know we do for our customers !.steve volksmuller

gavs
30-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Hi guys,

I didnt want to jump in too early but after 3 days driving, it seems the problem has been resolved. Firstly Thanks for the suggestions, I actually used Transporters advice and picture, and sprayed the linkage with WD40 and the problem has gone away. Imagine my wifes surprise when faced with a $4300 Turbo ECU replacement, as suggested by the factory repairer, to have it fixed with a spray of WD40?? Needless to say she is very happy and ropeable (with VW) at the same time. VW had "the best electrical guy in Australia" looking at it for 3 days and it was fixed in 30 seconds, thanks to you all!

So again thanks to everyone for their suggestions, yet another reason to love forums!

I'd love to say I'm surprised but...:)

TSI_Dan
04-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Wow.... what a joke!! Can we please name and shame the dealer?

FJ Steve
04-06-2013, 05:26 PM
re: your problem with the trailer lights and finding it had a blown fuse....I had the same experience. However, (in my case) the caravan lights would only work if the Touareg headlights were on. A dealership here in WA tried to convince me (and he did have me for a short period of time) that it is a safety feature installed by VW. "You need to drive with your headlights on when the trailer is attached."

Looked further, and found a blown fuse. Replaced...all works fine (without the need for headlights to be on). Dealerships and their "technicians" are just not capable of troubleshooting in favour of the client, only themselves.

biggus
25-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Hi guys,

I have been quoted $4200+ to replace the turbo, same symptoms as listed in these posts, Transporter has had a look at the linkages and apparently that's not it. Now, I need to get turbo at the right price. Overseas purchase is fine with me.

If anyone has any ideas let me know.....

Gus