PDA

View Full Version : Test drove a TSI 103 Highline in Sydney yesterday

Cuthbert
24-04-2013, 05:01 PM
I test drove the new TSI 103 Highline in Sydney yesterday, and was very impressed. It is a beautiful car in so many ways. Feels more like a BMW or Audi in terms of the interior and ride. The car also feels considerably bigger inside that the 6 series, even though it is only by a matter of a few centimeters here and there.

Although I was concerned that the standard 17-inch wheels may cause a harsh ride (as per my previous post), my fears were unfounded. It drives very smoothly and is perfectly damped.

My only gripe is that the glossy piano black dash on the Highline is very impracticable. Not only is it a smudge magnet, it also causes a lot of reflections, which distract the eye. For my taste, it also cheapens the interior of the car by giving it a flashy look. While I was at the showroom, another potential customer commented to me that he couldn’t live the piano black finish because it ‘made him feel like Billy Joel’ (which I am not sure is a good or bad thing!)

The muted brushed aluminum finish on the cheaper Comfortline model looks a lot better, is less prone to scratching, and is far more practicable. Paradoxically, it also looks classier in that understated German way. I do hope VW Australia rethink this issue, and offer the aluminum finish on the Highline.

Overall though, what a wonderful car the new Golf 7 is, and I can’t wait to receive my order – hopefully next week.

AdamD
24-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Please continue the discussion in the TSI obervations and questions thread:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967.html