PDA

View Full Version : Mk7 Golf GTI Launched in Europe

Golf7
21-04-2013, 05:01 PM
I've put up the brochure for the MK. 7 GTI on my blog: autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au Specifications will be coming soon...

Tobes_WIR35
21-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Lucky I speak a little Deutshe!

Golf7
21-04-2013, 07:35 PM
I had a tough time getting through it all to be honest, but the numbers and specs are all there, real easy to see and find. Fancy a GTI with Bluemotion Technologies...

DoggieHowser
21-04-2013, 09:14 PM
I had a tough time getting through it all to be honest, but the numbers and specs are all there, real easy to see and find. Fancy a GTI with Bluemotion Technologies...

Is this the official Aus spec?

Golf7
21-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Nope this is the German brochure but some things can't change like the actual engine specs of the GTI, so yes our GTIs will have Bluemotion Technologies, i.e. stop start and brake energy recuperation.

DoggieHowser
21-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Nope this is the German brochure but some things can't change like the actual engine specs of the GTI, so yes our GTIs will have Bluemotion Technologies, i.e. stop start and brake energy recuperation.

Curious if our GTIs will get the color TFT MFD or if it will get electric folding mirrors and ACC :)

I notice the GTIs also lack the Marrakesh Vienna leather that's an option on regular Golfs in the UK.

Golf7
22-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Hey Everyone,

The new MK.7 Golf GTI has just launched and I'm very honoured to share some details from its launch a few hours ago in Nice, France. This car is the embodiment of perfection!

Check it out: autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au

I'll also post up some pictures of the final production car!

Jay Gee
22-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi All, I just spent the weekend at the Crowne Plaze, Terrigal. On arrival last Friday the drive was full of the MK7 T.S.I. Blue Motion models. Volkswagen Australia have apparently been there for the past two weeks for the launch. Was advised by one of the staff that the release date for the G.T.I. is September. Regards

andrew7
22-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Here's the first review of the GTI performance edition- sounds very tasty!

Volkswagen Golf GTI Performance Edition Review | Autocar (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf-gti/first-drives/2013-volkswagen-golf-gti-performance-edition-first-drive)

Bambazonke
22-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Heard from my local dealer the golf 7 is being officially launched in Sydney today and there will be one here in Mackay on Sat for the local rubbers to have a look at

zoomda
22-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Here's the first review of the GTI performance edition- sounds very tasty!

Volkswagen Golf GTI Performance Edition Review | Autocar (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf-gti/first-drives/2013-volkswagen-golf-gti-performance-edition-first-drive)

Thanks for that. Was looking for the first one :)

It got me thinking. With the radar guidance I wonder if it calculates the speed of the vehicle in front of you or just the distance. Speed would be awesome. Maybe we could get a vcds hack that shows us the speed of the car in front on the screen. haha!

Dutch77
22-04-2013, 11:35 AM
I see they went all out and put a GTI badge on the side now as well.

The radar guidance might help out its insurance rating in the UK, but I think it actually replaces the front strakes as the ugliest addition to the design?

Ryan_R
22-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Yeah, not liking the looks of it either tbh. Maybe it'll be better in person. Wonder what the effect is on the intercooler...

Seats still aren't working for me - they seem to be too light a grey colour to match the darker interior elsewhere. Guess that's what the leather is for.

Has anyone else noticed the 5.8" GPS appears to have the current style maps whereas this Pro version appears to be using Google maps like the new Audi S3 does?

Also was interested to reach how the e-diff in the Performance addition could sway a few people who otherwise might have waited for the R to get the AWD.

Tobes_WIR35
22-04-2013, 06:27 PM
To be honest, I don't want engine stop/start. If I*want an eco car I'll buy one...

Ryan_R
22-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Still not liking the front (where the honeycomb mesh used to be) but besides that it's looking pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=96fxpepWb7w

alebonau
22-04-2013, 07:22 PM
I see they went all out and put a GTI badge on the side now as well.

The radar guidance might help out its insurance rating in the UK, but I think it actually replaces the front strakes as the ugliest addition to the design?

both the radar and strange wavy front grill plus the red stripes across teh headlights all dont add well. not sure why had to get rid of the front honey comb. or why the radar has to be such a big ugly thing. you cant even see the radar on the mercs so not sure why has to be so obvious on the golfs. definitely one that photos probably dont do it justice. prob a whole other thing in the metal :)

alebonau
22-04-2013, 10:09 PM
top gear always been a great fan of the car, below their first drive review..

First drive: the new VW Golf GTI - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/golf-gti-first-drive-review-2013-4-22)

DoggieHowser
22-04-2013, 10:44 PM
both the radar and strange wavy front grill plus the red stripes across teh headlights all dont add well. not sure why had to get rid of the front honey comb. or why the radar has to be such a big ugly thing. you cant even see the radar on the mercs so not sure why has to be so obvious on the golfs. definitely one that photos probably dont do it justice. prob a whole other thing in the metal :)

The fifth gear review showed the Merc one not working even as well as the one in the Up!! :)

Golf7
22-04-2013, 11:18 PM
From what I've been reading the new GTI is beyond perfection; faster, lighter, more refined, much more fun and better to drive, beautifully made, more efficient, spacious and much more premium than any other competitor out there. I can just hear Renault Sport and Ford crying all the way from France and Belgium... Oh and what's better the price in Australia is confirmed for a RRP of $40,990 without the performance pack and $43,990 with the performance pack. DSG will be $2500 more, ACC is $1499 more. The car will come standard with bi-xenons, the Discover Pro Navigation system as well as 18 inch tyres on the non-performance pack version. All in all great value considering the overall improvements as well as the added kit!

DoggieHowser
22-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Any indication of other options such as Dynaudio, leather, electric folding mirrors, auto dipping mirrors in reverse or the color TFT?

I'm gonna assume the RVC+ and front/rear park sensors is standard since it is on the Comfortline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ryan_R
23-04-2013, 12:08 AM
All those options you mentioned come to just under $48k + on road costs... better start saving then :)

Golf7
23-04-2013, 10:12 AM
From what I've got here is that the car comes with the Colour TFT and the Dynaudio will be a $1499 option. I'd love to show the documents but I have to figure out a way... I also want to share the car's press release from Saint Tropez, where it was launched a few days ago... Any ideas?

DoggieHowser
23-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Nice. Thanks for all the information!!

Has the Dynaudio option gone up in price?

Ps there doesn't seem to be a Dynaudio option for the regular Golfs.

Golf7
23-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Yeah that's right, decided to completely discontinue it half way through the Mk.6 ... I'm not sure how much it used to cost TBH.

Ryan_R
23-04-2013, 12:14 PM
$1500 iirc, although if bundled with the RNS there might have been a discount.

DoggieHowser
23-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks Ryan. I think the price subsequently dropped to 1k even without RNS for the GTI.

spikeyboy22
23-04-2013, 06:18 PM
From what I've been reading the new GTI is beyond perfection; faster, lighter, more refined, much more fun and better to drive, beautifully made, more efficient, spacious and much more premium than any other competitor out there. I can just hear Renault Sport and Ford crying all the way from France and Belgium... Oh and what's better the price in Australia is confirmed for a RRP of $40,990 without the performance pack and $43,990 with the performance pack. DSG will be $2500 more, ACC is $1499 more. The car will come standard with bi-xenons, the Discover Pro Navigation system as well as 18 inch tyres on the non-performance pack version. All in all great value considering the overall improvements as well as the added kit!

Hey golf 7, thanks for sharing the info, so do I understand right the gti will come standard with the discover pro sat nav

Any idea of some of the other options such as leather and roof, also mate will base gti come with 18 inch or only the performance version ...

Loving the information .. Keep it coming ...

alebonau
23-04-2013, 06:38 PM
The fifth gear review showed the Merc one not working even as well as the one in the Up!! :)

seems to work fine on my 250, radar detects if running too close to car in front and depending on speed a red warning light lights up. get closer again ie way too close as have done couple of times and it gets a beep to warn further. so yeah works and detects appropriately I think. no idea re the golfs system and whats different.

spikeyboy22
23-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Come on Golf7 sharing is caring, can you load them on as attachments to your blog, maybe put them on a google drive account and we can all download them from there... Just take off any reference to you as we don't want to get you into trouble, but I am eatting up all the information I can on this car .... Love it :)

DoggieHowser
23-04-2013, 07:28 PM
seems to work fine on my 250, radar detects if running too close to car in front and depending on speed a red warning light lights up. get closer again ie way too close as have done couple of times and it gets a beep to warn further. so yeah works and detects appropriately I think. no idea re the golfs system and whats different.

It didn't stop in time automatically even at low speeds whereas the Up! did

DoggieHowser
23-04-2013, 07:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ZNG8cmnlw

Ryan_R
23-04-2013, 07:34 PM
-ninja'd :(

alebonau
23-04-2013, 07:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ZNG8cmnlw

if its that merc there I imagine its carrying a lot more momentum vs a light weight UP ! that said no way am talking about car stopping in time. am only talking of the radar and and that on the a250 it is very effective in detecting distance following at and if get too close. or need to avoid a collision. With me still as driver and controlling the car :)

Golf7
23-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Hey Everyone,

Sorry guys, I can't directly give you all of the info on the new Golf, just keep posting questions and I'll answer as best I can! However I may just post one photo of the new R without anything covered... Just have to figure out how to do it... :)

dsta
23-04-2013, 08:08 PM
oh really... eagerly awaiting that pic!!

alebonau
23-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Hey Everyone,

Sorry guys, I can't directly give you all of the info on the new Golf, just keep posting questions and I'll answer as best I can! However I may just post one photo of the new R without anything covered... Just have to figure out how to do it... :)

intrigued to see what they do with the R and also the roco I guess.

ps re posting pics could just post on photobucket or flickr and then post a link on here :)

spikeyboy22
23-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Hey Everyone,

I understand, we'll you have my questions once you answer them I am sure I will have heaps more

Can't wait to hear, thanks golf7

Golf7
23-04-2013, 08:50 PM
The new Scirocco will have absolutely nothing to do with the old car, I have spoken to Romers who has said that it will no longer be sports orientated but it will be a posher, more luxurious and stylish version of the Golf, maybe not even a coupe at all. This seemed so odd to me... De Silva has also said that it will be a completely different animal.

Now we get onto the R. The images below are what the Concept 1 car looks like (000111010011VWGOLFR). For those who don't know how VW names its concepts, this is as close to the actual production car that you can get, sort of like the Golf MK7 GTI shown in Paris. Called a concept but 99.9% the real thing.

I would ask that you do NOT copy these images and use them elsewhere, please look at them, and admire, in order to ensure that as many people as possible can see the new R. Thanks guys!

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/GolfMk7/DB2013AU00299_medium_zps57dd4cd7.jpg (http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/GolfMk7/media/DB2013AU00299_medium_zps57dd4cd7.jpg.html)

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/GolfMk7/DB2013AU00300_medium_zpse6e7191f.jpg (http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/GolfMk7/media/DB2013AU00300_medium_zpse6e7191f.jpg.html)

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/GolfMk7/DB2013AU00301_medium_zps33b69368.jpg (http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/GolfMk7/media/DB2013AU00301_medium_zps33b69368.jpg.html)

spikeyboy22
23-04-2013, 09:12 PM
The new Scirocco will have absolutely nothing to do with the old car, I have spoken to Romers who has said that it will no longer be sports orientated but it will be a posher, more luxurious and stylish version of the Golf, maybe not even a coupe at all. This seemed so odd to me... De Silva has also said that it will be a completely different animal.

Now we get onto the R. The images below are what the Concept 1 car looks like (000111010011VWGOLFR). For those who don't know how VW names its concepts, this is as close to the actual production car that you can get, sort of like the Golf MK7 GTI shown in Paris. Called a concept but 99.9% the real thing.

I would ask that you do NOT copy these images and use them elsewhere, please look at them, and admire, in order to ensure that as many people as possible can see the new R. Thanks guys!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/[/URL][/IMG]

Is it just me or is it there is not much to it ?

FSI 220
23-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Hmmm

If that is an R, I am a little underwhelmed... I would have to call that one heck of a sleeper... in fact... I am falling asleep just looking at it

I think the wagon would make a better R... (You listening VWA?)

Golf7
23-04-2013, 09:16 PM
And Im sure the rear lights will be from the GTI too... But this is the best idea we have at the moment... Oh and it WILL have quad-exhausts, I just remembered... Calm down everyone, it WILL be better... Some fancy lights on the front, GTI's rear lights, quad-exhaust...

MkVIGTI
23-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Looks more like a regular Golf with R-Line sports pack to me.

spikeyboy22
23-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Looks more like a regular Golf with R-Line sports pack to me.

Spot on check out the number plate in this pic... We have a match

Galerie k článku Volkswagen Golf VII R-Line 2013: skutečné R je v nedohlednu, R-Line na světě (8) | Autoforum.cz (http://www.autoforum.cz/predstaveni/volkswagen-golf-vii-r-line-2013-skutecne-r-je-v-nedohlednu-r-line-na-svete/obrazek/8)

alebonau
23-04-2013, 09:55 PM
hmm guys please no one take this the wrong way but d@mn thats more boring than toyotas or subarus ! whats the deal ? wolf in sheeps clothing was one thing but this thing has been counting way too many sheep and gone into a slumber ! :lol: hope someone in the design dept is shocked into realisation that a golf R is one helva hot stonking automobile ! these arent white goods cars !

interesting news re the rocco golf7 will have plenty keeping buying the current one which is one helva car as well :)

MkVIGTI
23-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Another review of the MkVII GTI

VW Golf GTI (2013) CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/VW-Golf-GTI-2013-CAR-review/)

Golf7
23-04-2013, 10:02 PM
I find it's weird that VW Press Office is trumpeting this as the Golf R Concept, like I said before... Good pick-up guys!

spikeyboy22
23-04-2013, 10:08 PM
I find it's weird that VW Press Office is trumpeting this as the Golf R Concept, like I said before... Good pick-up guys!

Which press office, Australian office?

Golf7
23-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Nope, Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft in Wolfsburg...

Spook
23-04-2013, 11:31 PM
GTI brochure up on the UK site also. For those who do not speak Deutsche.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-gti-vii/which-model/brochures

Lima
24-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Enjoy!

AUSmotive.com » Volkswagen Golf VII GTI in detail (http://ausm.tv/mk7gti)

Golf7
24-04-2013, 09:33 AM
And one more thing with the local R, Anke has been hinting at what she said would be "modest" price reductions... Whatever that means

Jimi
24-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know if we are going to get the half leather/cloth with alacantra option available in some European markets? It looks great, not available in the UK though

Golf7
24-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Does anyone know if we are going to get the half leather/cloth with alacantra option available in some European markets? It looks great, not available in the UK though

I'll check it out...

MkVIGTI
24-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Anke has been hinting at what she said would be "modest" price reductions... Whatever that means

Combined with more equipment then VW will have a winner!

oshuyi
24-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Combined with more equipment then VW will have a winner!
:icon_rate_10:

Cookie28
24-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Oh and what's better the price in Australia is confirmed for a RRP of $40,990 without the performance pack and $43,990 with the performance pack.

This is what I don't like/understand. The PP is only 900 pounds in the UK, why so much more here? This will pretty much put the GTI out of the running for my next car (unless I wait a while and then try and find a 3dr manual with PP used :facepalm:)

idaho
24-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Enjoy!

AUSmotive.com » Volkswagen Golf VII GTI in detail (http://ausm.tv/mk7gti)

There are some significant changes to the engine in the linked Press Kit information. The engine has both direct and port injection.

spikeyboy22
24-04-2013, 08:42 PM
This is what I don't like/understand. The PP is only 900 pounds in the UK, why so much more here? This will pretty much put the GTI out of the running for my next car (unless I wait a while and then try and find a 3dr manual with PP used :facepalm:)

Correct me of I am wrong but I think Golf7 said the plain is the pp would have 19 inch where the normal has 18 inch

19 inch are not standard in Europe on the pp

Cookie28
24-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Correct me of I am wrong but I think Golf7 said the plain is the pp would have 19 inch where the normal has 18 inch

19 inch are not standard in Europe on the pp

That makes a bit more sense but TBH I think I'd prefer the 18's :( oh well can't change that if that's their specs

spikeyboy22
24-04-2013, 09:29 PM
That makes a bit more sense but TBH I think I'd prefer the 18's :( oh well can't change that if that's their specs

I am so with you cookie, the 18 inch looks way better, If the 19 inch are standard on the pp, I will be trying to get one ordered with the 18's

Cookie28
24-04-2013, 09:34 PM
I am so with you cookie, the 18 inch looks way better, If the 19 inch are standard on the pp, I will be trying to get one ordered with the 18's

I wouldn't just be doing it for looks haha if I was to get a GTI it would already be pushing the budget for when I can get it (about July next year hopefully) let alone with the PP but from the reviews I've seen so far the PP is pretty much a necessity, and for the money I'd end up spending it would end up being near the megane RS265 in price and I would probably go that, the Opel Astra OPC or a Focus ST and get an LSD put in with money to spare

Jimi
24-04-2013, 09:42 PM

Agreed. I'm annoyed that the PP is such a premium here compared to the UK. It's a joke. I just want PP with 18s, and it would be fair to charge $1500 more on that basis

Dutch77
24-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I wonder if this is the first steps in responding to the fully-specced A250?

Including the 19s does help explain the price differential to the UK which works out to around 1450 AUD today (0.67 exchange). The Detroits were a 1200 option over Denvers, any additional premium for 19s and maybe some rounding to keep things neat and there's the $3k package.

pologti18t
24-04-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't think we will be getting a 3dr MK7 GTI ....

PP + 19 inch makes perfect sense if you see who the competition is...

Golf7
24-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Oh trust me guys, we will get both 3 door and 5 door models. Each available with the PP. The 18s are standard on the non PP model and the 19s are standard on the PP model, specs could change... I'll be consulting the final product in the next few weeks, I can make the suggestion if you guys wish.

Jimi
25-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Oh trust me guys, we will get both 3 door and 5 door models. Each available with the PP. The 18s are standard on the non PP model and the 19s are standard on the PP model, specs could change... I'll be consulting the final product in the next few weeks, I can make the suggestion if you guys wish.

I believe there will be a lot of people wanting the PP with 18s, as is available in the UK. Even if it was a $2k premium to the non PP I think people would accept it (even through a straight FX conversion of the UK PP option works out to be about $1500). The argument against the 19s is:

- they don't look as good/the car sits strangely on them/they're harder to look after (my view);
- they make the optional ACC a necessity if you want to live with the car every day (that's a biggie); and
- in isolation, they add cost.

So it'll end up being a $41k car that people aren't entirely satisfied with (non PP) or a $45.5k car (PP and ACC) that has wheels that aren't everyone's cup of tea. It's a big gap. Perhaps they're taking the packaging up of options too far?

idaho
25-04-2013, 12:31 AM
I think the standard GTI should have 17 inch wheels. Not everyone wants a go-cart type ride for normal road driving. Let alone having shorter sidewalls (on bigger wheels) and bigger chances of tyre or wheel damage. You see the same thing with MY13 Touaregs in Australia. How the 4xMotion (the off road model) Touareg comes standard with 20 inch wheels and 45 profile tyres is mind boggling.

Jimi
25-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I've noticed the Americans are making a similar fuss over in the vwvortex.com forums

DoggieHowser
25-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Frankly I'm happy that they have more inclusions as standard rather than exclusions.

Selling the 19" rims should be easy enough. But having to wait six months just to check the 19" box on a custom order would be painful.

Golf7
25-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Frankly I'm happy that they have more inclusions as standard rather than exclusions.

Selling the 19" rims should be easy enough. But having to wait six months just to check the 19" box on a custom order would be painful.

Agree with all that, there's the chance they could make the 18s a no cost option. They'll also do that with the Scirocco next month!

gareth_oau
26-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Autocar's review gives it great praise.

Especially the front e-diff which gives great traction and all but emiminates understeer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dIETxZLoA_Y

zoomda
28-04-2013, 07:02 PM
It get's to 200km/h mighty quick for a 4cylinder Golf VII 7 GTI Performance 0-259 km/h Test First drive sport auto (http://www.motor-talk.de/videos/golf-vii-7-gti-performance-0-259-km-h-test-first-drive-sport-auto-v596958.html)

Ryan_R
28-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Sounds nice too, although I suspect it still has that fake soundakator engine noise coming through the stereo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pYt1oVd4MYU

Everyone keeps telling us that the Performance Edition is 0.1 seconds faster and 10BHP more powerful which we all know, but I haven't seen anyone do a 100-0kph brake test comparison... (although the ventilated larger brakes in the PE might just be to cater for the extra braking brought about by having the e-diff)

zoomda
29-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Sounds nice too, although I suspect it still has that fake soundakator engine noise coming through the stereo
Everyone keeps telling us that the Performance Edition is 0.1 seconds faster and 10BHP more powerful which we all know, but I haven't seen anyone do a 100-0kph brake test comparison... (although the ventilated larger brakes in the PE might just be to cater for the extra braking brought about by having the e-diff)

I've been wondering the same thing.

Golf7
29-04-2013, 08:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pYt1oVd4MYU

The new Golf's noise is pure, no electric trickery going on here, just pure induction and turbo charger whoosh. And some fruity exhaust tones. :) All in all it will be very pleasing to the ear!

tonymy01
29-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Not convinced at your salesspeak Golf7. some of that interior stuff definitely sounds "soundaktor"ish to me.

Golf7
30-04-2013, 12:23 PM
It's the same as the old GTI in terms of way that the sound is produced... Glad someone likes my automotive language flair, trying to be journo here... I'll chick up my review of the car soon! :)

tonymy01
30-04-2013, 12:33 PM
You contradicted yourself? Old gti has soundaktor transducer which resonates the firewall and windscreen to generate an artificial noise.

Ryan_R
30-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Surprised your blog has the 2015 USA version of the GTI instead of the 2013 Euro one, which should be more applicable to Australia.

Golf7
01-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Sorry guys, just realised. All models GTIs from 2011 onwards have the transducer. The new one also has something similar going on I believe. But I just wanted to say that there is no TRUE artificial noise coming from the car. Case in point: the new Clio RS which actually uses the cars speakers to emulate different car noises.

And with the GTI question, the two variants are the same, it's just that the US will be getting there ones later. They're the slides that VW had up in Nice. Any opinions on the new GTD?

tonymy01
01-05-2013, 09:52 AM
All models GTIs from 2011 onwards have the transducer. The new one also has something similar going on I believe. But I just wanted to say that there is no TRUE artificial noise coming from the car.

Sorry, what are you talking about?? The transducer (Soundaktor) *IS* an artificial noise generator. It uses the windscreen to make the raspy low frequency noise simulating a deeper engine tone, rather than the car speakers. That is as artificial as anything. Please google Soundaktor, and learn.

Golf7
01-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Sorry, what are you talking about?? The transducer (Soundaktor) *IS* an artificial noise generator. It uses the windscreen to make the raspy low frequency noise simulating a deeper engine tone, rather than the car speakers. That is as artificial as anything. Please google Soundaktor, and learn.

Hey, hey no need to fight me over it... I meant that the device merely amplifies the existing sound, without generating any NEW noise as a speaker would. The actual system made my Kuhnke is quite complex, it not only amplifies the noise but the vibrations as well. I'm curious to see how it works! :)

tonymy01
01-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I meant that the device merely amplifies the existing sound, without generating any NEW noise as a speaker would.
? The Soundaktor as far as we are all aware is simply a sound generator device instructed by the ecu to generate sounds (low frequency amplified by the windscreen) at particular rpm, how you can possibly think this is not artificial, but the same process using the car speakers is, I really don't understand.
There is no microphone input to the Golf VI Soundaktor..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Golf7
01-05-2013, 10:56 AM
? The Soundaktor as far as we are all aware is simply a sound generator device instructed by the ecu to generate sounds (low frequency amplified by the windscreen) at particular rpm, how you can possibly think this is not artificial, but the same process using the car speakers is, I really don't understand.
There is no microphone input to the Golf VI Soundaktor..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

How cares really, when the noise is that good!

zoomda
01-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Anyone else noticed that not one of the reviews so far have been of a car with DSG?

I wonder why that is.

Cookie28
01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Because manuals are better *puts on flame suit*

That's just my opinion, I personally prefer a manual but don't have to drive in heavy traffic at all.

Arnold
02-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Manual transmission not only makes sense for a sports-oriented car by providing a more enjoyable and engaging driving experience, the 6MT largely eliminates the risk of negative comments or reservations about the car (in particular due to the apparently indecisive low speed performance of the DSG which VW claims uses more fuel than the 6MT without any stated performance benefit). One reviewer even commented on how he was changing up to 3rd gear partly so he could enjoy the sensation of changing back down into 2nd!

I am sure there are many manual drivers who take pleasure in operating a clutch and pulling / pushing a gear stick together to smoothest effect who would say that that process is more satisfying than simply flicking a plastic lever that sends a signal to a processor that takes care of all that and so eliminates the opportunity for the driver to perfect the smoothest and most seamless gear change, which is a frequent challenge for those who generally aim to get the most from their use of a manual gearbox.

Having seen a few GTI reviews now, all in manuals, it is hard to recall any reservations or negative comments in them, so mission accomplished, if VW put on manuals with that objective in mind.

AdamD
02-05-2013, 09:23 AM
This is not the thread for the Manual vs DSG debate, thanks.

Arnold
02-05-2013, 09:25 AM
How cares really, when the noise is that good!

I'm quite surprised!

Does VW really need to invest time, money and resources amplifying the engine noise? Does the wonderful Mark V GTI's engine note rely on such "enhancements"? I'm a bit put off by the concept. Is the natural note of these engines so wimpy?

Seems a bit fake to me. Although I will admit that when I was 8, with clothes pegs I clipped cardboard onto the front forks of my bike so they would be clipped by the spokes . . . but that was a long time ago!

Golf7
02-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm quite surprised!

Does VW really need to invest time, money and resources amplifying the engine noise? Does the wonderful Mark V GTI's engine note rely on such "enhancements"? I'm a bit put off by the concept. Is the natural note of these engines so wimpy?

Seems a bit fake to me. Although I will admit that when I was 8, with clothes pegs I clipped cardboard onto the front forks of my bike so they would be clipped by the spokes . . . but that was a long time ago!

Not sure to be honest if the MK5 has any trickery going on... I think they just "add" the noise as a marketing ploy, to satisfy the ears of buyer who might be expecting a more boomy sound... Waste of space and unnecessary weight in my opinion.

Dutch77
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Not sure to be honest if the MK5 has any trickery going on... I think they just "add" the noise as a marketing ploy, to satisfy the ears of buyer who might be expecting a more boomy sound... Waste of space and unnecessary weight in my opinion.

My understanding was the Soundaktor only appeared on the mk6 and may not have been present on early models - although that information was generally sourced from the USA forums, so Euro/Aus GTIs may all have it.

pologti18t
02-05-2013, 01:29 PM
My understanding was the Soundaktor only appeared on the mk6 and may not have been present on early models - although that information was generally sourced from the USA forums, so Euro/Aus GTIs may all have it.

The Soundaktor makes sense if you really think about it. You can make a car quiet via NVH enhancements, then pipe engine noise in as required. Quiet cruise.... then engine noise when giving it a bit.

It's no more silly then the active exhaust systems that open a valve to total change the exhaust note at higher rpm.

Ryan_R
02-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Channeling noise through a valve via the firewall is fine, creating fake sounds through the speakers isn't. I'm not entirely sure which it is for any given VW. I know the Audi R8 eTron definitely has fake engine noises for obvious reasons.

Golf7
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Channeling noise through a valve via the firewall is fine, creating fake sounds through the speakers isn't. I'm not entirely sure which it is for any given VW. I know the Audi R8 eTron definitely has fake engine noises for obvious reasons.

I'm 100% sure the Golfs do NOT create new noises through the speakers, ala R8 eTron. The car merely amplifies the lower bass frequencies of the engine and attempts to distribute them evenly along the firewall. I remember seeing a technical video on it once, I'll try and find it...

Ryan_R
05-05-2013, 07:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8mUbYVS3uEc

Before (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P7xmjtA9cCY) and after (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp5GE2RyV1M)

MkVIGTI
07-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Umm I've got the 2010 one so no Soundaktor for me...

Golf7
07-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Umm I've got the 2010 one so no Soundaktor for me...

All the better then! Less weight, purer sound!

Lashika
09-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Golf7 - awesome blog and reviews!

i'm just salivating at the lips in anticipation for the the MK7 GTI to come out in Aus. I have the MK6 and i love it to pieces.

Golf7
09-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Golf7 - awesome blog and reviews!

i'm just salivating at the lips in anticipation for the the MK7 GTI to come out in Aus. I have the MK6 and i love it to pieces.

You're welcome! Glad you enjoy it! Much more coming! Check out the new Golf's development videos... And welcome to the forums!

alebonau
09-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Drive - New Volkswagen Golf GTI Review (http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-car-review-volkswagen-golf-gti-20130509-2j8vy.html)

another review of the gti for you guys :)

zoomda
09-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Drive - New Volkswagen Golf GTI Review (http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-car-review-volkswagen-golf-gti-20130509-2j8vy.html)

another review of the gti for you guys :)

Thanks for the link.

Golf7
09-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the link.

Wow, DRIVE did another crap review as usual... Any content in there??? A bit late...

zoomda
09-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Another one is up First drive: VW Golf GTI review | carsguide.com.au (http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/first_drive_vw_golf_gti_review)

EDIT: and another http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2013/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/volkswagen-golf-gti-2013-first-drive-36514

Golf7
09-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Another one is up First drive: VW Golf GTI review | carsguide.com.au (http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/first_drive_vw_golf_gti_review)

Really, 4 stars, prepare to get shot down... :) These guys must be joking!

alebonau
09-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Really, 4 stars, prepare to get shot down... :) These guys must be joking!

must say that review does have a point with...

"Would the real Golf GTI please step forward?"

before this the golf gti was the golf gti. now its going to confuse things with the lower powered version and then the higher performance version that is supposedly coming out later down the track ! *blink*

tonymy01
10-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Really, 4 stars, prepare to get shot down... :) These guys must be josking!
I dunno, your reviews went from glowing to less in about a week. perhaps they just spent a bit more time weighing pros and cons before looking like VW shills on their payroll that some reviews have seemed like in the past.

spikeyboy22
10-05-2013, 10:38 PM
I don't think we have seen this but I have uploaded to my google drive the GTI press book and background information from the press day in Austria.

Press still it is in English, 60 pages with specs an information and pics, I have printed up as a book...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5b-...VUtVDg/preview

Enjoy

alebonau
10-05-2013, 11:11 PM
ch31 community TV here in melbourne runs a weekly german car program from DW(deutsche welle) TV called "drive it !"

Drive it! | DW.DE (http://www.dw.de/program/drive-it/s-9690-9798)

at end of this weeks episode they said they would review the mk7 golf gti next week. look out for it next friday 8:00-8:30pm :)

OYE
11-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Alebonau, how are you going with your a250?

alebonau
11-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Alebonau, how are you going with your a250?

loving it ! had it month and half now and nearly clocked up 2,000kms already, off on another drive in the hills today

I posted a run down here on how finding it so far vs the mk6 golf gti had before :)

http://www.germancarforum.com/community/threads/mercedes-a250-amg-sport-vs-vw-golf-gti-mk6.48927/#post-636705

OYE
11-05-2013, 10:24 AM
loving it ! had it month and half now and nearly clocked up 2,000kms already, off on another drive in the hills today

I posted a run down here on how finding it so far vs the mk6 golf gti had before :)

http://www.germancarforum.com/community/threads/mercedes-a250-amg-sport-vs-vw-golf-gti-mk6.48927/#post-636705

Wow, what a comprehensive write up you put out there. I'm sure Mercedes benz Australia would be so glad for getting that for free. Nice car mate, enjoy it!

Golf7
11-05-2013, 12:31 PM
The problem is that the PP may not be available on the early models here in Oz. They're still working on it. The first shipment of our GTIs will be completed by the end of next week, leaving the factory the weekend after that. VW Australia are saying that it's going to be leaving Port Bremerhaven in about 10 days...

andrew7
11-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I dunno, your reviews went from glowing to less in about a week. perhaps they just spent a bit more time weighing pros and cons before looking like VW shills on their payroll that some reviews have seemed like in the past.

Agreed there Tony, your a little OTT Golf7 (do appreciate your info tho)

rosslm
11-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Deliveries in UK start June with all options, including performance pack, 400W Dynaudio etc. so I cannot see why performance pack won't be available here!

check this link http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-gti-vii/configure/1505/optional-extras/popular-choices/

We are 3 months behind so end September GTI / GTD should be available

fully
14-05-2013, 11:15 PM
First drive: VW Golf GTI review | carsguide.com.au (http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/first_drive_vw_golf_gti_review)