PDA

View Full Version : Airbox Mod

DUBING
27-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Now that i have an exhaust, i was woundering what the rest of you vr6er's have doe with your airboxes, to feed more air to the engine. Thanks in Advance. :D

Bug_racer
27-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Ran a 3 inch tube to factory airbox .
Concentrate on cams / chip now if your sticking with N/A mods

Tim
27-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Seb. With just a duct on the stock airbox does it give much of a change to the induction noise?
Im thinking of pretty much doing the same thing. But having gone for a drive in a friends car with a pod. maan the sound is awesome! I realise its not the best for performance tho. especially with how hot things get under the bonnet in traffic and stuff.

I want the induction noise tho! hehe

Bug_racer
27-04-2006, 08:39 PM
If you want induction noise you can make up an airbox mod , but you should only do this if your converting to Map sensor . Stick with the stock airbox until you start running big power

evorobin
27-04-2006, 11:32 PM
I realise I do not own a VR6 but I've just put a K&N cone with a heat shield and cold air feed. Otherwise drilling the airbox does wonders for noise Tim

Golf Loon
28-04-2006, 12:06 AM
I run a Pod filter on the Ibiza and it brethes great and makes the best noise.

It gets a bit hot though, a piece of pipe to move it into the cold air is gonna happen soon.

vinderliker
28-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Yep I'd get a pod filter running to a spot where thr cold air comes in, but I am no familiar with the layout of the 6, but when I had a partnership in a performance chip business lots of years ago I always suggested that cold air induction helped the engine breathe heaps better.

golfvr6
28-04-2006, 08:38 AM
i have a pod filter with a 2.5 in hose to feed from the removed reflector next the bumper indicator (sometimes an air duct goes in there to make it look pretty).

yes the engine bay does get hot standing still (hot air is less dense, so less oxygen in the hotter air = less Oxygen to burn = less peformance) so performance at a traffic light drag will be worse :lol:

i remember a few years ago guys in the US did some dyno and temperature tests with the stock box vs pod filter (without any air feed) and the pod filter did suffer performance. they found the stock box with some holes in it worked better (use a big 2-3 inch hole saw). putting some sort of heat shield between pod and engine would help (there used to be some US made 'air bath' i recall).

and another option is to put an air vent in the driver side guard where the stock box takes its feed and keep the stock box, do your mods, and slam in a K&N panel filter

but either way, with the pod filter over 3K revs the noise is fantastic.
i don't really care about the loss of power at low speed :D

ausgolfer
28-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey robin, I was assuming you car was on K-jet?? If not then the pod filter makes sence, but if it's still on K-jet how did you get the pod filter to work? I'd love the rorty induction noise on my Golf especially with all 16v's buzzing.

Tim
28-04-2006, 10:46 AM
hmm im not gonna do the pod thing. Id rather a nice cool air feed. perhaps something a little less restrictive than the 90 degree bend that goes into the front fender. Function over form is how i have tried to do most mods. Itd be nice if i could do that and get some nice sound tho!

a few months back we did a day at DECA. It involved a lot of start stop driving and idling in queues to get onto the track or skidpan after flogging the tits off the car. At that time i was feeding air from the engine bay and i noticed the car was very very sluggish compared to normal. I also noticed with this setup the car would occasionally ping quite severely. So i returned it to stock and it seems to be happier.

But yeah. I just think especially for that kind of driving there is too much heat under the bonnet.

golfvr6
28-04-2006, 12:33 PM
tim - for a day like that you can try taking out the front right headlight! :lol:

DUBING
28-04-2006, 08:33 PM
hmm so i had a look today and the vr6 has a intake coming from the guard, getting a panel K&N filter and making some holes in the airbox, would that work, and would it sound like it has a Pod?

Golf Loon
28-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Thats a neater solution. Drill the airbox heaps. It should look like a cheese. I used to do it heaps on Golf GTIs and it makes em sound nicer and pickup better.

Tim
28-04-2006, 10:24 PM
just rembember if youre gonna do that to drill the half b4 the filter!

not that i think youre dumb but yeah.. hehe u never know! :lol:

Golfwise
28-04-2006, 11:51 PM
We run a k&n pod down in the cold air stream ,you can't even see it in the engine bay hence no heat.U can feel the difference.
Imported kit from US

Bug_racer
29-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Unless you have the air flaper MAF dont use K and N , they damage the hotwire element on Maf.
I really wouldnt bother playing so much with the airbox , look into cams and portwork , more gain can be found there

DUBING
29-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Unless you have the air flaper MAF dont use K and N , they damage the hotwire element on Maf.
I really wouldnt bother playing so much with the airbox , look into cams and portwork , more gain can be found there

Ye but thats later to come, first i have too make my car more pretty :P now, i want to get the sound right... :lol: Air Flaper MAF.... i will be honest, i have no idea what that is...:oops: :shock:

midget
29-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Air Flaper MAF.... i will be honest, i have no idea what that is...Embarassed Shocked

Ok, I think my airbox is the same

the stock airbox has 2 parts, top half and bottom half, you should have 1 tube running to each, the air flapper part should be on the bottom half inside the airbox, a flap of plastic which opens and closes and leads to the tube going out of the box.

Sorry if Im way off here, just that today I was modifying my airbox. before I just had a big hole in the front of it, sounded very grunty. and then ran thicker pipe to the front to close the gap, now makes a less grunty noise but adds a sucking noise, original pipe was quite restrictive. shoulda taken photos

is it such a good idea to drill holes in the box? Ive read up about guys on the Seat forum doing this...

evorobin
29-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey robin, I was assuming you car was on K-jet??

Nah 1988 so one of the first Digi's. I had a pipercross cone that fell apart and now I have just put on a K&N. When evoposters is back up I'll post a pic!

golfvr6
29-04-2006, 06:48 PM
here's an alternative to the swiss cheese look - guess you can focus where the air comes in

http://www.gti-vr6.net/library/engine/AIRBOX2.html

re MAF damage with k&n - 1st i've heard of that one - i've got a k&n cone & no probs - that's been almost 10 years and counting!