PDA

View Full Version : seat toledo 16v

rav
14-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi guys,

I just bought a 96 seat toledo 16v which has a ABF engine. it has a really heavy clutch and im used to clutches a lot lighter. any advise on how to make it a bit lighter?

Golf Loon
14-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Congratulations mate thats a very rare car.

Thats the GTI spec Tolly and is one of 25 sold in Australia.

What colour is it? Does it have half leather seats?
Any Pics?

I have one the same and the Mrs always hated the heavy clutch.
It is because the cable does a 90 degree bend against the radiator.
You can change the cable, which helps a bit.

I actually just changed the entire gearbox setup to use the 8v box with the lighter clutch cable and better gear ratios, but it was a lot of messing about.

I got quoted $250 for a clutch cable in Australia and actually imported a couple from the UK. I have one that has only done a couple of thousand ks, yours for $100 if you like.

They are great cars, nice to have another Toledo owner on here, hope you stick around.

Cheers Matt

rav
15-09-2007, 08:14 AM
The car is grey in color and got r15 195/50 in it and right now its with a friend of mine who's working in audi he's checking it from top to bottom to make sure i can get the rwc. he told me i will need a new clutch on it so i will be getting one today . right now the clutch is ever heavier and its sitting right at the top so once i change it i will see how heavy it is and let u know about the clutch cable

cheers
rav

Golf Loon
15-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Just to answer a few questions I have received via PM :

The standard Toledo 16v ABF has the same clutch cable as the Ibiza Cupra Sport. The engine is identical to that in the GTI, but the cltch cable is unique to SEAT.

The Toledo 16v runs the same gearbox as the Mk3 Golf GTI 16v, which was never sold in Australia, BUT the Golf has a hydraulic clutch, the same as the VR6 and a hydraulic slave cylinder instead of a cable.

The SEATs were made cheaper and so they have a unique cable and mechanical actuator for the clutch, presumeably to save build costs.
The drawback of this system is that the cable is very long and does a 180degree bend at the gearbox end, so always feels heavy.

There should be a spring behind the pedal too, to assist. This often falls out and will not help the clutch movement if it is missing.

The 8v Toledo has a different gearbox and different cable arrangement to the 16v. The 8v box is the same as a Golf 3 2L, Mk2GTI and Seat Cordoba and Ibiza GTI.

The 16v Toledo also uses a cable system to control the gear linkages and the 8v uses the older rod shift system, as do the other 8v VAG cars.

With my 16v Car, I just changed the gearbox for the 8v version, and the clutch and flywheel from the 8v. I also Changed the whole gear linkage system to control the earlier box and used the 8v clutch cable, which I find light as a feather compared to the 16v version.

It was heaps of work, but the car now makes its power lower in the rev range and does not have the laggy feeling that 16vs suffer from.

The Tolly is a funny car, it has mostly Mk2 switch gear, Mk3 engine and running gear and lots of Passat Parts thrown in. It was made with lots of parts from the VAG parts bin, so you have to understand a bit of the history behind it to allow you to accurately locate parts and maintain it.

Its still a good car, the boot alone sells it to me.

Hope that helps.

Golf Loon
15-09-2007, 08:32 PM
The car is grey in color and got r15 195/50 in it and right now its with a friend of mine who's working in audi he's checking it from top to bottom to make sure i can get the rwc. he told me i will need a new clutch on it so i will be getting one today . right now the clutch is ever heavier and its sitting right at the top so once i change it i will see how heavy it is and let u know about the clutch cable

cheers
rav

The car looks silver, mine is a much darker grey. There are some pics in the SEAT section if you care.

Are you sure you need a new clutch? does that one slip, or is it just heavy, could well be the cable.

The gearboxes are fun to get out as they are massive.

The clutch bite point on most VWs in natuarally very high.

I`d change the cable and check the spring first. The cables are hard to find and expensive in Australia, so rarely get changed.

Good Luck

rav
16-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi,
according to john i will need a new clutch pretty soon.its not so much the slipping but i have heaps of trouble getting it into first gear and when i was driving down to my place i had to pick it up from 2nd gear because i had too much trouble with the first one. i already picked up the clutch kit so i will see how that feels but keep the clutch cable you have for me because if this doesnt solve the problem then i'll get the cable off you ;)
also there is a miss when im driving that car since the guy said he has not driven it for the last few mths. i'm guessing may be its the plugs and at worst i guess i will have to change the leads. Do you stock ignition leads?

cheers
rav

rav
17-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Is there any way i can install a hydraulic clutch on it so its not that heavy? Anyone know how much it is to get it installed?

Golf Loon
17-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Miss will be plugs or coil. Dont buy the platinum ones that the book recomends at $44 a pop. I bought 4 ngks one heat range cooler for a total of $17.

Ignition leads are dear as poison, even overseas. Ebay will be your best bet. I`d do the plugs first as the leads rarely break.

You could use a VR6 pedal box, slave cylinder and actuator.
Pedal box is a cow to change and the VR6 pedal boxes are hard to find.

1st is often hard to engage, you can adjust the linkages at the gearbox end. Be careful as the plastic shift rod is flimsy.

rav
19-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi,
Since yesterday my ABS light seems to be on constantly while im driving. How do i find out what exactly is the cause? i am guessing it could be the sensor but how do i check which one it is? also loon might be able to help me with this one my remote doesnt work i have to use the spare key to start the car and if i try to start the car with the main key the motor kicks in and just turns off . i cant seem to find out where the control panel is for the immobilizer? the battery seems ok in the key.

Golf Loon
19-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Sounds like the main key is not coded.
A trip to vw is probably in order, but they will slug you for coding.

The ABS systems in Golf3s and Seats is dire and tends to work as it chooses.
A fluid change may sort it. Or clean all the wheel sensors.

h100vw
19-09-2007, 09:44 PM
You can check out the wheel sensors with a multimeter. The rear ones will have connections under back seat. Just check them all for continuity. A duff one will be different to the others.

If they all appear the same then jack up each corner of the car in turn and spin the wheel while monitoring the sensor cable on AC mV. No idea how much you should see but a bad one should stand out.

If you can get hold of VAG-COM it'll have a fault stored in the ABS computer which will tell you which wheel.

The ABS does a self check when you turn the ignition on. A bad sensor will cause a fault straight away if the wire is broken. If it fails after you have set off, there is a problem with the output compared to the other 3 wheels.

Plugging in a good/new sensor into the duff corner should clear the light when you turn the ignition on.

Gavin

rav
20-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Thank you for all the helpful tips guys . i can get hold of a VAG COM , where is the plug to connect it to?

h100vw
20-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Possibly above the fuse box.

Gavin

rav
20-09-2007, 09:49 AM
thank you gavin i will check it out and let you know if i manage to find it

cheers
rav

CORDY_SXE
21-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Thats a pretty sweet looking Toly you have there and very rare!!

Probably the best looking of all the Toledo's they ever bought over!!

Welcome to the SEAT famliy mate!!

Golf Loon
21-09-2007, 10:57 PM
The Toledo has the earlier OBD 1 type connector.
2 Plugs, one blue, one white.

They are either behind the switch blank next to the headlight switch, or behind the map pocket by the drivers knees if they have become detached.

rav
25-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Hey loon,
I just realised that the rear left power window switch was busted. Have you got any or would you be able to get hold of one?

Golf Loon
25-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Are you sure its the swicth and not the mechanism?

rav
26-09-2007, 08:25 AM
yep the spring in the switch seems to be busted too and its just hanging down at this point and i cant seem to find any parts anywhere for this.

Golf Loon
26-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I`ve got a switch for you. Call me at work and give me the list. :)

rav
28-09-2007, 08:49 AM
The motor takes a few kicks before it turns over? Loon you have the same car is this normal? we've tried different batteries and its still the same

rav
01-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Are the lights for the toledo taken from the 96 Passat?
if i want to put in clear lights at the front would i be able to use a housing from a vw aftermarket lights provider?

Golf Loon
02-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Couple of turns is normal. Starter could be to blame, its the same as VR6 manual, and expensive.

Front headlights are unique to Toledo. What do you want? Clear front blinkers? or headlights?

rav
02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
i was looking for the headlights , the blinkers i can find on ebay but nothing for headlights though... i have to find out whats wrong with the motor first since its taking a long time to kick over and it seems very slow. i have tried different batteries that i knew were good but it does the same thing , its very slow to turn over but it doesnt happen everytime either just happens sometimes. any suggestions .. im thinking it could be the starter motor since ive already put new plugs in and since the car does not miss once its on i guess theres nothing else i can think might cause the motor to turn over so slowly

Golf Loon
02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Check your battery earths mate.
A fat cable from the earth of the battery to the bolt of the starter usually does it. :)

rav
18-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi,
I've been looking at electric superchargers.. does anyone know if there is any real performance gain by installing one on the tolly?

evorobin
18-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Use a toyota MR2 Charger!

rav
19-10-2007, 08:43 PM
does anyone know how much a mr2 charger would cost?

evorobin
19-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Depends how hard you want to work ie running around. Should see 40-50hp for $1K

rav
28-10-2007, 11:07 AM
where can i find cheap seat parts online? does any one know any reliable sites i could may be purchase parts from?

miah87
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Hi
I just wanted to ask is SEAT TOLEDO GLX good to buy or worth buying nowadays?

Vehicle 1996 SEAT TOLEDO GLX
Price $2,500*
Interior Colour black
Kilometres 117,718
Colour silver
Transmission 5 speed Manual
Body 4 door 5 seat HATCHBACK
Drive type Front
Engine 4 cylinder Unleaded Multi-point injected 2.0L (1984cc)

Please give me some comment...

ntr32
31-05-2013, 05:17 PM
i just brought ours for my wife it is metallic red with the half leather trim the car is spotless inside and out the only reason i brought it was because i am a vw tech and being made by vw it was easy to work on for all it needed was a fuel pump from sitting round to long the only damage is the paint on the wing is faded but considering the guy wanted $150 bucks for the car i could not say no it was only after reading this site that i realized that there were only 25 toledo gti 16v sold in australia that knew what is was will post pics when i can as i am only a new member so i have to wait to add attachments

Water Boy
31-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Wow nice.