PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Choices for the Mk7 TSI

Cuthbert
18-04-2013, 09:39 PM
I have ordered a new Golf 7 103TSI Highline, which comes with standard 17 inch wheels. This worries me because I fear they may make the ride too harsh (they are the same size wheels as the GTI model). I am not a sporty person - just a regular midde-aged driver who likes quite a smooth ride.

I am seriously considering downgrading to the 90TSI Comfortline to get the standard 16 inch wheels, but then I will miss out on all the other Highline goodies (like satnav, better seats). Alternatively, I suppose I could change the wheels on the Highline model.

I would be most grateful for any feedback you have on this issue. Am I worrying too much about the larger wheels? Is the ride that much harsher. The review in today's Sydney Morning Herald (Drive section, 18 April) suggests that they are.

http://smh.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/first-drive-review-volkswagen-golf-20130418-2i2nb.html

I hope that VW Australia has not made a mistake with their configuration of the 103TSI Highline by making the wheels too big.

Diesel_vert
18-04-2013, 09:57 PM
I have ordered a new Golf 7 103TSI Highline, which comes with standard 17 inch wheels. This worries me because I fear they may make the ride too harsh (they are the same size wheels as the GTI model). I am not a sporty person - just a regular midde-aged driver who likes quite a smooth ride.

I am seriously considering downgrading to the 90TSI Comfortline to get the standard 16 inch wheels, but then I will miss out on all the other Highline goodies (like satnav, better seats). Alternatively, I suppose I could change the wheels on the Highline model.

I would be most grateful for any feedback you have on this issue. Am I worrying too much about the larger wheels? Is the ride that much harsher. The review in today's Sydney Morning Herald (Drive section, 18 April) suggests that they are.

Did you notice which wheel and tyre combination was fitted on the demonstrator during your test drive?

What was your overall impression of the ride quality during the test drive?

Cuthbert
18-04-2013, 10:01 PM
I don't think they are available yet for a test drive here in Sydney until the end of the month.

Ryan_R
18-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Seems the Mk7 Highline is comparable to the Mk6 Comfortline with the Sport Pack option ticked. People with that particular Mk6 would be the best ones to ask (besides GTI owners who aren't driving enthusiasts). Guess they needed further differentiation between the models.

Personally I don't see the point of the bigger wheels and sport seats given the car is slower than the Mk6 118TSI. That's said I've driven a MK6 GTI as well and while you feel the bumps a little more it's in no way uncomfortable.

Diesel_vert
19-04-2013, 12:24 AM
I don't think they are available yet for a test drive here in Sydney until the end of the month.

It may be wise to go for a test drive before signing the dotted line next time.

Evaluating a vehicle's suspension compliance can be subjective, so it's difficult to say. In terms of ride quality, one man's luxury car could be another man's horse carriage.

Does the Highline come with sports suspension as standard in Australia? Currently, it's optional in Germany, but standard in the UK. Fitting 16" wheels on sports suspension may not necessarily improve compliance on poor roads.

Anyway, when you get the chance, go back to the dealer, ask for some test drives and compare cars with different configurations. You'll be in a better position to judge on whether to request a swap over to 16" wheels or not, because only you know what you like.

volksweapon
19-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Cuthbert, I had the opportunity to drive all of the cars this week. I cant imagine that you would be unhappy with the 17" wheels. The ride and handling of the MK7 is in my opinion vastly superior to the MK6 and that is saying something as I am a huge fan of the 6.
The suspension set up is almost perfectly damped, again that's my own opinion but this was also commented on by a number of others during the course.

Even if the ride was harsh (which it isn't) the highline is worth it for the seats alone. Most comfortable seats in a non sports VW to date and they look great. The ambient lighting at night would also sell it for me.

I hope you enjoy your new car.

jamieyoyo
21-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Do you mind telling us how much did you pay for your 103TSI ? Thanks.

Cuthbert
21-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Sure, I am paying $32,000 excluding on road costs. My understanding is that there are no discounts available at present because of high demand. My dealer told me of Friday that he sold 6 that morning and that any new factory orders won't be fulfilled till September at earliest.

irossiter
21-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Sorry to point out the obvious but why would you order a car that you have not driven if you are worried about suspension?? My Mk 6 GTI is superb on the road with 18 inch wheels. I can see it wouldn't be to your tastes by the sounds of it. I'm sure a new TSI with 17 inch wheels would be more compliant BUT you need to drive the car yourself rather than asking people on this forum. They will have demonstrators in next week.

Cuthbert
21-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Here is my logic: I definitely knew I wanted the new Golf 7 - that was a no brainer. I also wanted the higher specification. So I went ahead an ordered it knowing that if I didn't get in early, I would be waiting many months when the rush started. But I had assumed that the Highline would have 16 inch, not 17 inch wheels. The reason I sought the advice of this forum was to get a heads up in case I had to put an option on a TSI 90 Comfortline (with 16 inch wheels) as a back up.

In any case, I will be trying the car out for myself this week when the first batches will be delivered to Sydney dealers.

Meanwhile, thanks for your reassurance on the 17 inch wheels.

Diesel_vert
22-04-2013, 02:19 AM
The reason I sought the advice of this forum was to get a heads up in case I had to put an option on a TSI 90 Comfortline (with 16 inch wheels) as a back up.

It's not likely anyone else on this forum would've been able to provide genuine feedback if no test vehicles were generally available.

I would expect a firm but forgiving ride, geared towards high-speed stability for cruising on the Autobahn (if past German suspension design philosophy is anything to go by) but I haven't driven the new Golf, obviously.

One positive is that it would appear sports (or lowered) suspension is not fitted as standard on the Highline in our market. I skimmed briefly through the brochure on this site - Auto Blog Australia: Volkswagen Golf MK.7 Australian Brochure (http://autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/volkswagen-golf-mk7-australian-brochure.html) - but you may want to read it more carefully.

You also have the option of fitting comfort-biased tyres on the 17s if you like the look.

TBH, I don't expect any nasty surprises regarding the new Golf's ride compliance, but you'll be the judge of that.

DoggieHowser
22-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Over in Singapore, they have a Highline with Equipment Pack that adds the bixenon sunroof among others and that comes with 18" rims. Can't say it's harsh. But then NSW roads can be a bit nasty compared to Singapore or QLD.

Diesel_vert
22-04-2013, 02:51 AM
But then NSW roads can be a bit nasty

That would definitely be an understatement!

idaho
24-04-2013, 05:17 PM

I think you will be ok with 17" wheels. We have a Mk5 GT Sport with 17" wheels and 225/45x17 tyres and it has a nice confident ride without being harsh. Having said that, I wouldn't like to go any lower profile/bigger wheel combination as I think the sidewalls would be getting too small for road conditions.

Kevin87
05-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Hey cuthbert I just pmd you :)

Diesel_vert
06-05-2013, 07:50 PM
So, in the end, you cancelled your order for the Highline and got the Comfortline instead - but for reasons of interior aesthetics, it would seem to appear.

Anyway, having since driven the Highline (225/45 R17), albeit briefly, do you feel there are any differences in compliance on poor road surfaces compared to the Comfortline (205/55 R16)?

Ryan_R
06-05-2013, 08:00 PM
I honestly didn't notice any difference in comfort when I drove the Highline last week.

Kevin87
07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
My partner and I have just ordered a comfortline but I really want the 17 inch dijons wheels. If anyone wants to swap I'm all ears :)

Buller_Scott
11-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Hi Cuthbert, I'm an away-VAGger at the moment, but if I might interject...

Tyre choice and tyre pressures play more of a part in ride comfort, than the size of your wheels, to an extent (IMO).

Tire choice will obviously take a backseat to things until it comes time to replace your from-the-showroom-floor set, but in the meantime, go to Autobarn and get a digital tyre pressure gauge for a piddly $30, and measure all four corners - the gauges at the servo can't really be trusted.

Different sized tyre, but I would run mine at 40.5 front and 37.5 rear hot, and then for the trip to sydney, let 'em right down to around 35.something front and 33.something rear, after a few clicks on the highway.

Makes a world of difference.

My 2c.

kaanage
11-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Sorry Scotty but I have to disagree - the rim diameter and tyre width determines the profile for a given rolling diameter and the profile has the largest bearing on tyre compliance. Plus low profile tyres pretty much force you to run higher tyre pressures to protect the rims so compliance is further reduced.

Cuthbert
11-05-2013, 11:06 PM
I ended up getting the 90tsi Comfortline. I found the 16 inch wheels marginally more comfortable than the 17 inch versions. But there is hardly anything in it - both versions ride very smoothly. What really converted me to the Comfortline in the end, was my aversion the the glossy piano inlay on the Highline. But this is just a matter of personal taste; I prefer the understated look of the brushed aluminium.

I would like to stress, however, that both the Comfortlne and the Highline are brilliant cars. I imagine that the forthcoming GTI and R models will raise the bar even higher.

exzibit
17-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I ended up getting the 90tsi Comfortline. I found the 16 inch wheels marginally more comfortable than the 17 inch versions. But there is hardly anything in it - both versions ride very smoothly. What really converted me to the Comfortline in the end, was my aversion the the glossy piano inlay on the Highline. But this is just a matter of personal taste; I prefer the understated look of the brushed aluminium.

I would like to stress, however, that both the Comfortlne and the Highline are brilliant cars. I imagine that the forthcoming GTI and R models will raise the bar even higher.

Did you find the additional kw's on the Highline make much difference compared to the Comfortline? I've only driven the 90TSI and it was surprisingly zippy and quiet with a sporty note when you floor it. I can only imagine what the GTI must be like!

Cuthbert
17-05-2013, 05:26 PM
From my comparison test drives of both cars, I really don't think there is much in it - both cars felt sufficiently powerful with good torque. I have had my 90TSI for two weeks now, and never once has it felt underpowered - even on a steep hill while overtaking. Indeed, it is quite zippy. If it is power you want, of course, I would skip the Highline and go straight for the GTI where the difference would be stark.

pologti18t
17-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Indeed, it is quite zippy. If it is power you want, of course, I would skip the Highline and go straight for the GTI where the difference would be stark.

Or just get your 90TSI chipped.

exzibit
17-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Or just get your 90TSI chipped.
Sorry complete noob question incoming.. How much does it cost to chip and would it void insurance? What sort of improvement in power could you expect to get?

Ryan_R
17-05-2013, 07:47 PM
You might get some clues from looking in the tuning subforum (where others have asked those questions) and also see what gains people had with the Mk6 90TSi as a rough guide.

exzibit
17-05-2013, 09:00 PM
You might get some clues from looking in the tuning subforum (where others have asked those questions) and also see what gains people had with the Mk6 90TSi as a rough guide.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :) don't think I'll be doing a chip mod after having a read, not really worth the potential hassles with insurance and warranty..besides, I'm pleased with the car as it is for a daily driver.

Arnold
18-05-2013, 12:14 PM
The other thing to bear in mind is whether one might need to fit chains and so what the Golf owner's manual might say about the compatibility of different wheel sizes with chains.

In the Mark V GTI manual, VW states that chains are not compatible with the 17" rims although there is a $650 solution from Rud of Germany (with an Australian branch in Brisbane and sold through, inter alia, Roofrack World).

hoi polloi
04-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Have a MkVI 103TDI with the sports pack... Have had no issues with the ride quality whatsoever... Given the MkVII should be an improvement in the ride/handling department I'd say "no"...

Regards,
- Anthony.

krish344
29-08-2013, 08:17 PM
I have a Golf 90TSI and I was wondering if it would be worth my while to change the rims. Has anyone else changed their rims on their car? Did it make the ride better or worse? I was thinking if I was to change my rims I would probably go for some BBS rims as most of the Golfs look pretty sweet on them.

Alex31
29-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Some of the factory option wheels are really nice... Only problem is they are quite expensive.
You could go a 17 easy with no trouble because the Highlines have them and the suspension setup is the same. But 18s would be the limit before you did wreck the ride of the car

shane_in_oz
29-08-2013, 09:04 PM
I have enkei M52's.

ride will only change if you change the size

sorry didn't realise it was for a mk7

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/shane1963/media/IMG_0911_zps6e46f4ed.jpg.html)