PDA

View Full Version : VCDS (VAG-COM) codes and programmable options for Golf Mk7

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

NVRENUF
16-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi guys

I just got a Ross-Tech cable.. Well actually got it for my Audi,
Though thought i might have a play with my Company car Golf also.

Though unlike the audi forum i can't find here a document that has all the cool vagcom
coding listed.

has anyone got a list of different vagcom codes that can be used that are tried and tested ?

Thanks

Tim

Ryan_R
16-04-2013, 01:02 PM
None of us have a Golf 7 yet but the Golf 6 thread is here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/official-vww-vcds-tweak-library-50749.html

NVRENUF
17-04-2013, 10:20 PM
my bad haha thanks

DV52
29-09-2013, 10:00 AM
NVRENUF:
Ryan_R was kind enough to introduce me to the VCDS sytem in another thread. I've made some fledgling attempts to understand the basics on the Ross-Tech website (and on this forum). I have a MK7 that I'm interested in trying out the VAG com software. Can you tell me which cable you have and if you have been successful in talking to your Golf. I assume that we both have the "AU" chasis (I got this from my VIN). Ross-tech has a few different versions of thier cables (at vastly different prices), so I'm keen to understand what will work (and what will not work) on my vehicle

winchy
01-10-2013, 07:05 PM
NVRENUF:
Ryan_R was kind enough to introduce me to the VCDS sytem in another thread. I've made some fledgling attempts to understand the basics on the Ross-Tech website (and on this forum). I have a MK7 that I'm interested in trying out the VAG com software. Can you tell me which cable you have and if you have been successful in talking to your Golf. I assume that we both have the "AU" chasis (I got this from my VIN). Ross-tech has a few different versions of thier cables (at vastly different prices), so I'm keen to understand what will work (and what will not work) on my vehicle

Hi mate, I have a Ross-tech HEX+CAN USB cable. It works fine with my daughters Mk 7 Golf. Haven't played much with it yet (she's hardly ever home) but did turn the seatbelt chime off just to test it. Ordered it direct from Ross-tech in the US for around $470 delivered to oz.
Cheers

DV52
02-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Winchy:
Thanks for the response. If I could press you with one further question (please). What Windows operating platform are you using on your laptop?

winchy
02-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, but the order process will take you through all that. I'm sure they want to send you the right cable the first time.

Ryan_R
02-10-2013, 06:28 PM
I've used it with XP, Win 7, and Win 8 x64 without issue

DV52
03-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Winchy/Ryan_R,
Thanks again for your input. I'm still trying to understand ther potocols for VAG COM. As I don't have a Cable yet, I thought that I would try to see what the connector signals look-like on my CRO. Started by looking at CAN_H & CAN_L pins. Didn't look like what I had imagined. I had thought that the two pins represented logic High and Logic Low (man, was I wrong!). Seems to be somekind of differential signal (which I guess is to be expected given the noisy environment). Anyway, I think that need to do a bit more reading. The journey continues!

Ryan_R
03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Meh I dunno about all that, I just plug the cable in and use the thing :P

DV52
04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Ryan_R
That's great news! I've looked at quite a few of your posts about VCDS on this forum. Although much of what you have said on your posts goes over my head for the moment, your deep understanding of the subject matter is clear. I had thought that I would need to start my learning by looking at the actual signal traces and by undertstanding the protocal policies that ODB2 uses. Your admission means that I don't need to fill the limited space in my head with such arcane stuff. Very good news indeed!

Ryan_R
04-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Anyone who can use a computer by intuition can use VCDS. Just read the PDF manual to see the software does and what sections to steer clear of unless you know what you're doing. The long coding section however couldn't be easier. Just make notes of the defaults in case you wish to revert. There's not much more to it than the screenshots you've already seen.

winchy
04-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Agree totally Ryan_R, although when I had a quick play on my daughters Mk 7 there was quite a bit written in German. I'm sure I'll sort it, just need time.

DV52
10-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Anyone who can use a computer by intuition can use VCDS. Just read the PDF manual to see the software does and what sections to steer clear of unless you know what you're doing. The long coding section however couldn't be easier. Just make notes of the defaults in case you wish to revert. There's not much more to it than the screenshots you've already seen.

Again, thanks for the advice. Not sure if you (or Winchy) can answer this question;
Does VCDS allow me to change the degree of dimming on the rear vision mirror? I've read quite a bit on various forums and the Ross Tech website about the software, but I can't find any mention of the rear window dimming function. I'd like the dimming to be stronger on my Golf. Can you help?

Ryan_R
10-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Can't say I've heard of anything like that. Supposedly you can manually turn the dimming on/off by pressing under/behind it somewhere - not something I've ever tried.

Idle
24-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Just ran the first scan on my new Mk7 TDI110.

Seemed to work OK with MicroCan, but couldn't access a couple of areas, which might well be because Rosstech are still working on it (or maybe I've still something to learn.)

All areas scanned bar one reported no faults (car has 33 Kilometers on it, so didn't expect any — the one it reported was from the factory startup and of no importance, but I'd have expected them to clear it in predelivery.)

So yes, I'd expect MicroCan to suit it fine.

However, there's little to be found on Rosstech as yet (the Mk7 doesn't hit the US market until next year, so that's no surprise.)

winchy
26-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Have a look at the Ross tech website and go to Ross tech wiki. They give a link to a golf gti Mk 7 forum that has a few tweaks listed. Haven't checked them on the car yet, so don't know how they'll work.
Cheers

DV52
01-11-2013, 10:40 PM

Ryan R: got my VCDS cable a few days ago. Bought the Ross Tech unit as you suggested (thanks for the advice). I got it from a local dealer in NSW (very friendly chap).
Had all sorts of trouble getting the cable to talk to my laptop when I connected it to the car. Eventually found the problem which was due to earth current flow between the AC adaptor for the laptop (weak laptop battery) and the vehicle's 12 volt system. The Ross tech site mentions this as a potential issue, but when I measured the current flows with a multimeter the reading was micro-amps (Ross Tech says that milliamp flows are acceptable). In any event, I removed the AC adaptor and the cable began to sing!
A bit disappointed in the support that software version 12.12.0 has for mk7 Golfs. When I did the autoscan, I found that my vehicle has 14 controllers, but only 9 controllers had labels in the SW library. Is a copy of the autoscan file of any interest to anyone?
The other disappointing feature in the SW is the proliferation of German language in many of the drop-down screens (for those controllers that are supported by the SW). Is this common for VW vehicles?
I traded a few emails with Uwe Ross about these issues, but I didn't get much joy from his responses.
Anyhow, My first task is to see if I can find a way to turn-off the stop/start function (ideally to have it default to the off position, but if this is not possible, to disable the function completely). Have you any advice that you can pass-onto a fledgling "grasshopper" regarding how I might tackle this task ?

Ryan_R
02-11-2013, 07:23 AM
You did remember to turn the car ignition on before running VCDS?

DV52
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
You did remember to turn the car ignition on before running VCDS?

Ryan R: Yes, the ignition was turned-on but the motor wasn't running. I had read somewhere (not sure where) that it wasn't important to have the motor actually running for the autoscan activity. Is this correct?
Apropos of the German language in the pulldown menues, I just had an email back from Uwe Ross (what a nice guy he is!). I sent him a screen short of the German language. His response was that something was incorrectly pointing to a german language table (instead of English). If this is true, then he indicated that the problem was fixable.

Ryan_R
24-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Have a look here (need Google Translate):

stemei.de .VCDS Codierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - VW Golf 7 - VCDS Codierungen, Webdesign (http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/vw-golf-7.php)

Idle
25-11-2013, 11:11 AM

stemei.de .VCDS Codierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - VW Golf 7 - VCDS Codierungen, Webdesign (http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/vw-golf-7.php)

Well worth bookmarking — thank you!

Ryan_R
25-11-2013, 11:21 AM
If you have a play feel free to take your own screenshots and setup a VCDS library thread in the Mk7 Golf section :)

DV52
28-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Ryan_R: I will have to stop thanking you yet again (I'm starting to sound disingenuous). I might have another try with Mr Ross to see how long the sotware version with his updated table fix will take to release. Not sure that I'm experienced enough to start a thread here. I might need to understand a bit more about what I'm doing first!

Idle
04-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Finally got around to having a look at it — not all that easy.

So far all I've done is clear an ABS system fault code (from when I hit a pothole and wrecked a tyre) which is a simple matter — the "clear" function in the car's system only removes the display, the fault remains logged in the computer.

The list of options is easy enough to navigate, but all the names are in German, and whilst, in common with Google Translate, I can "sort of" get the gist of normal German text, technical terms are another matter.

At the moment I'm trying to find a way to extract and print them — translating from the computer screen is beyond me, I fear.

DV52
07-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Finally got around to having a look at it — not all that easy.

So far all I've done is clear an ABS system fault code (from when I hit a pothole and wrecked a tyre) which is a simple matter — the "clear" function in the car's system only removes the display, the fault remains logged in the computer.

The list of options is easy enough to navigate, but all the names are in German, and whilst, in common with Google Translate, I can "sort of" get the gist of normal German text, technical terms are another matter.

At the moment I'm trying to find a way to extract and print them — translating from the computer screen is beyond me, I fear.

Idle: about 6 weeks ago I wrote to Uwe Ross (from RossTech) about the German language in the VAGCOM software for our chasis type. His advice was that there appeared to be a table pointer glitch in software version 12.12.0. I just got back another email from him in which he advises that the work to fix the problem has been allocated to one of his staff. Unfortunately however, that staff member has just gone on maternity leave, so I reckon it may be some time before it's fixed. In the meantime, Ryan_R's link (with google translate) is our best resource (I think)!

DV52
25-02-2014, 02:51 PM
VCDS Tweaks for MkVII - Reference material
Rather than copying pages of VCDS tweaks for mk7 from other forums onto VWW, I thought it more efficient to paste the URL for the better sites instead

For those that are looking for a bunch of practical VCDS tweaks for their mk7 vehicles, there's a nice, pithy and well laid-out list of just that on the following URL:

What is VCDS - Golf7VCDS (http://golf7vcds.moonfruit.com/what-is-vcds/4581850808)

The tweaks on this site originated from the "GolfGTIForum.com." The great thing about this site is that the authors have stripped-out all of the less-useful chatter from between posts leaving only the good stuff. Plus the tweaks are nicely partitioned into neat categories such as Mods, Instruments, Driver Convenience, and Notes.

The other very useful reference for mk7 VCDS tweaks comes from a link that I received from the "master-himself" (at least I think that he is a he, although he might be a she), Ryan_R.

stemei.de .VCDS Codierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - VW Golf 7 - VCDS Codierungen, Webdesign (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13933026004059&key=6b85f23da221d5c8d47e9c6917e8959c&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vwwatercooled.com.au%2Fforums %2Ff153%2Fvagcom-codes-golf-mk7-84619.html%23post1012231&v=1&libId=f6d1fc22-e4c3-4025-8da3-9ec5077cf138&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stemei.de%2Fpages%2Fcoding%2F vw-golf-7.php&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vwwatercooled.com.au%2Fforums %2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D1442612%26pp%3D%26page% 3D3&title=Vagcom%20Codes%20for%20Golf%20mk7&txt=stemei.de%20.VCDS%20Codierungen%20.Codierungss ervice%20.Webdesign%20-%20Stefan%20Meier%20-%20VW%20Golf%207%20-%20VCDS%20Codierungen%2C%20Webdesign)

Just a warning though, this site is written in German so I had to rely heavily on "Google translate" to make sense of the instructions. With this small caveat, this is still a very useful resource nevertheless (I think)

veew
28-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Awesome, I am keenly watching the Mk7 VCDS codes as they are discovered, look forward to getting some done to the car soon.

DV52
28-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Awesome, I am keenly watching the Mk7 VCDS codes as they are discovered, look forward to getting some done to the car soon.

Veew: Good luck with the VCDS tweaks.
In my humble view, the coding change that disables stop/start is the most useful that I have found to date (much thanks to Alenlin from GolfGTIForum.com). The tweak worked for me and a few others that tried it. I just looked at the links that I posted but I couldn't find it there (don't know why)

Not sure if you have seen the stop start disable tweak, but I posted the screens on the following thread.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/disable-stop-start-vcds-tweak-94276-2.html

I can also vouch for the instrument cluster sweep instructions which worked perfectly on my Mk7.

Please let us all know how you went.

veew
28-02-2014, 07:03 PM
I have seen the stop/start tweak, would love to install it but my girlfriend doesn't mind it. Wish there was a code to just reverse the starting sequence such that it starts off instead of on.

I'm hoping the following tweaks come up for the Mk7:

Non-dimming DRL (for halogen lights) on indicating

Manual recirculation starts ON instead of having to press it each time I get in the car

Enabling voice control would be nice but I suspect software needs to be installed for it to work

Fog lights on for Coming/Leaving home functionality (http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/vw-golf-7/coming-home-ueber-nebelscheinwerfer.php)

Remote keyfob to work whilst car is running (ie. so I don't have to turn off the car, take out the key from the ignition barrel and press the boot release button to open the boot. Just allows someone else to quickly access the boot without doing said steps if the car is already running) - It turns out you just need to press the unlock button on the driver side door to allow boot access whilst the car is running, so obvious lol.

I'll get around to having "Transporter" install the tweaks for me as I have a Mac and am unlikely to have time to do much tweaking to justify buying a cable and borrowing a friend's windows laptop.

Alex31
28-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Hi. I'm very new to the whole VCDS coding stuff. How ever I'm keen to have a go with some research. But I don't know what I need to do it. Could someone please tell me what software, cables, information locations, ect is needed to start VCDS coding??? I have not idea what to buy/download.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan_R
28-02-2014, 09:50 PM
See here (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/official-vww-vcds-tweak-library-50749.html)

Alex31
28-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the link Ryan_R. Is the information much the same for the mk7?

Ryan_R
28-02-2014, 10:12 PM
The concepts, tools, and software are all the same. The actual coding references will be different and are pending research + documentation (this thread).

DV52
03-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Hi all
I just downloaded the latest software from Ross Tech (ver 12.2.2) - I also loaded the Beta SW (ver 14.2). I was interested to see what further support VCDS had for the Golf Mk7 given that the now obsolete SW ver 12.12.0 had lots of controllers with no labels.

Anyhow, the table below summarises controller support for the 103 TSI Golf (i.e a bog-standard highline) from the three SW versions. Guess that it is disappointing that there are still two missing labels in the latest SW version, but at least the number has fallen! Also dissappointing is the amount of German language that still pervades many of the pull-down channels. Not sure if support for the mkVI Golf was plagued with similar issues when the model was in its infancy.

Golf MkVII 103TSI

Address

Controller

Labels - Ver 12.12.2
(& Beta 14.2)

Labels- Ver 12.12.0

Address 01:

Engine (J623-CHPA)

04E-907-309-V1.clb

04E-907-309-V1.clb

Address 02:

Auto Trans (J743)

0CW-927-769.clb

0CW-927-769.clb

Address 03:

ABS Brakes (J104)

5Q0-907-379.clb

5Q0-907-379.clb

Address 08:

Auto HVAC (J255)

5G0-907-044.clb

5G0-907-044.clb

Address 09:

Cent. Elect. (J519)

5Q0-937-08X-MV1.clb

5Q0-937-08X-MV1.clb

Address 10:

Park/Steer Assist (J791)

5Q0-919-294.clb

5Q0-919-294.clb

Address 15:

Airbags (J234)

5Q0-959-655.clb

5Q0-959-655.clb

Address 16:

Steering wheel (J527)

5Q0-953-549.clb

5Q0-953-549.clb

Address 17:

Instruments (J285)

5G0-920-XXX-17.clb

None

Address 19:

CAN Gateway (J533)

None

None

Address 42:

Door Elect, Driver (J386)

5QX-959-X93-42.clb

None

Address 44:

Steering Assist (J500)

5Q0-909-144.clb

5Q0-909-144.clb

Address 52:

Door Elect, Pass. (J387)

5QX-959-X92-52.clb

None

Address 5F:

Information Electr. (J794)

None

None

bloggo
22-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Hello DV52,

Can you tell me where you obtained the module information in your post.

Thanks.

DV52
22-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Hello DV52,

Can you tell me where you obtained the module information in your post.

Thanks.

Bloggo: Not sure if I have understood your question correctly, but the underlying information from my table comes from a comparison of the autoscan reports for version 12.12.0 & version 12.12.2 software.

For eample, I enclose below a bit of the autoscan report for my car from Ver 12.12.0 software. This section of the report shows the data for the first controller.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine (J623-CHPA) Labels: 04E-907-309-V1.clb
Part No SW: 04E 906 016 G HW: 04E 907 309 A
Component: 1.4l R4 TSI H08 5272
Revision: WAH08---
Coding: 01250032242405082000
Shop #: WSC 00028 028 00079
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016G 002006
ROD: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016G_VW37.rod
VCID: 26431A2059EACC2ECEF-8073

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0000 0000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have high-lighted in bold the hexadecimal address and the label identifier of the controller in this example. I tabularised this data for each of the controllers in the two separate autoscan reports into a simple excel spreadsheet. There is nothing particularly intelligent about what I did, but it helps provide (me and others, I hope) a visual comparison of the two SW versions. My purpose in creating the table was to see what advancement Mr Ross had made in the latest software version to support the MkVII platform.

I admit that my exercise may be viewed by some as the failing of a pedant, but forums such as this are full of different folks with different motivations. This is what makes VWW such a fascinating site! Anyway, apart from this psychological aside, I hope that I have answered your question. Please re-ask your question in another way if I have misinterpreted your needs.

bloggo
22-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Bloggo: Not sure if I have understood your question correctly, but the underlying information from my table comes from a comparison of the autoscan reports for version 12.12.0 & version 12.12.2 software.

For eample, I enclose below a bit of the autoscan report for my car from Ver 12.12.0 software. This section of the report shows the data for the first controller.
Address 01: Engine (J623-CHPA) Labels: 04E-907-309-V1.clb
Part No SW: 04E 906 016 G HW: 04E 907 309 A
Component: 1.4l R4 TSI H08 5272
Shop #: WSC 00028 028 00079
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016G 002006
ROD: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016G_VW37.rod
VCID: 26431A2059EACC2ECEF-8073

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0000 0000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have high-lighted in bold the hexadecimal address and the label identifier of the controller in this example. I tabularised this data for each of the controllers in the two separate autoscan reports into a simple excel spreadsheet. There is nothing particularly intelligent about what I did, but it helps provide (me and others, I hope) a visual comparison of the two SW versions. My purpose in creating the table was to see what advancement Mr Ross had made in the latest software version to support the MkVII platform.

I admit that my exercise may be viewed by some as the failing of a pedant, but forums such as this are full of different folks with different motivations. This is what makes VWW such a fascinating site! Anyway, apart from this psychological aside, I hope that I have answered your question. Please re-ask your question in another way if I have misinterpreted your needs.

Thanks DV52,

I just thought that you had downloaded this information from Ross or somewhere; I did not realise it was a basic spreadsheet.

AdamD
24-03-2014, 11:44 AM
See the following post from DV52 (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/members/dv52/) for instructions on disabling DRLs via VCDS:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/turning-off-daytime-running-lights-94879-2.html#post1040702

DV52
30-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Can anyone tell me what a "High Traction Dropdown" is? Apparently I have more than one installed in my mk7 Golf. I know this because the VCDS screen below says that I have at least two of these things, The screen shot came from the latest Beta SW version for the Central Electronics controller (byte 2 - see bit 3 is enabled).

I've tried researching this on the web, but I just get vague references to something that "raised the back end of KITT so that Michael could drive the car over more uneven terrain" (i.e. in the fabled knight-rider car). This can't be right on a mkVII - whilst this would be real cool accessory, I'm pretty sure that VW would have charged me extra for the option of dynamically lifting the rear end of the car over rough roads.

I've learn't from another thread that the development team at Rosstech has quite a sense of humor, so perhaps this is another example of thier whitty antics - ain't nothing wrong with that! Any advice welcomed.

DV52
07-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Hi,
I've been trying to get an audible horn, or beep to sound when I lock/unlock my Mk7 (with the key-fob) using a VCDS tweak. There's lots of stuff on the web in the Europe forums that confirms that the Mk 7 can do this, but I've been singularly unsuccessful in my many attempts. Most of the VCDS tweaks use the instructions below (or a variant of the instructions below).

Has anyone tried to get audio feedback when locking/unlocking their car? If so, how did you do it?

Alarm beep on lock / unlock (from VW GTI mk7 forum)
Go into [09] Central Electronics
Go into Secuity Access and enter 31347
Adaptation channels, and you are looking for:
(1)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung entriegen (un-lock acoustic feedback)
(2)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung verriegeln (lock acoustic feedback)
Set one or both to on if you wish.
Then set the following to "on"

(7)-Acknowledgement Signals -Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung (Acoustic lock menu)
This enables a menu setting in the "car" settings, "Locking" menu of the infotainment screen to set alarm chirp on or off when locking /unlocking the car and have the option to switch it on or off from the head unit.

Ryan_R
07-04-2014, 09:34 AM
afaik the car has to have an alarm to be able to do this. (Which is the case with the Mk6). Possibly in europe the alarm is optional or standard whereas it isn't here (I think only the R had the alarm).

readerr0r
07-04-2014, 10:58 AM
I know in the Polo (and probably the MK6 Golf) you could set the actual horn to beep on lock/unlock. Turning that on definitely let you and your entire block know that the car was locked!

Other than the horn, the only unit that can make a loudish sound is the alarm hence the need for it to be installed to make the beep. I generally find the sound of the locks themselves loud enough in most cases, failing that the indicators flashing is good enough for distance confirmation.

DV52
07-04-2014, 12:21 PM
I know in the Polo (and probably the MK6 Golf) you could set the actual horn to beep on lock/unlock. Turning that on definitely let you and your entire block know that the car was locked!

Other than the horn, the only unit that can make a loudish sound is the alarm hence the need for it to be installed to make the beep. I generally find the sound of the locks themselves loud enough in most cases, failing that the indicators flashing is good enough for distance confirmation.

Rearerror: Thanks for the feedback. I've found on a more than one occasion in a busy car park (when I've not been sure if I've lock the car) that it would be useful to get an audio feedback when I press the key fob. Else I have to be near enough to hear the lock mechanism "click", or be in-line-of sight of the indicators. I certainly don't want a deafening sound, just a mild audible "beep".

I've managed to enable the "menu" option on the Discover Media screen that lets you tick a box for an audio sound with lock/unlock (it's the last instruction in the tweak). However, when the tick is enabled, nothing happens (regardless of the other steps in the instructions). The fact that I can enable the entry in the Discover media screen strongly suggests (to me, at least) that it sould be possible to envoke the facility.

It's not a big issue, just annoying that so many European web forums say that the function is easy to enable. Perhaps electrons spin in the other direction in the southern hemisphere - and that's why the tweak doesn't work!! Or perhaps I need to throw a large amount of money at VW Aust. to have them do the job for me (not likley)!

DV52
07-04-2014, 12:32 PM
afaik the car has to have an alarm to be able to do this. (Which is the case with the Mk6). Possibly in europe the alarm is optional or standard whereas it isn't here (I think only the R had the alarm).

Ryan_R: You could be right. I had assumed that audio feedback would come from the car horn. I recall that there's an option on one of the VCDS channels (cent. Electrn. controller- I think) to lenghten/shorten the horn duration for the lock/unlock audio feedback. I thought that this modified the car horn, but it could be related to an anti-theft horn.

AdamD
08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Ryan_R: You could be right. I had assumed that audio feedback would come from the car horn.

I have it enabled on my Mk6 GTI (love the feature, very handy), and it's definitely being emitted by the alarm chirper, and not the car horn.

DV52
08-04-2014, 03:30 PM
I have it enabled on my Mk6 GTI (love the feature, very handy), and it's definitely being emitted by the alarm chirper, and not the car horn.

AdamD: Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like this is a feature that I will not have on my mk7.

alanzidane
29-04-2014, 08:30 PM
G'day all, a friend of mine (GeckoZAO) told me that many of the Golf MK7 do not have TMC (Traffic Message Channel) working.
I've also noticed there aren't any threads in this forum that collects all the tweaks, MODs for Golf MK7 at the moment.
Therefore I will now open this thread, with all the tweaks and MODs known to share with MK7 owner here.
I will also make sure try to keep this thread up to date if anything new has been found and tested.

1. Refuel Quantity
17 Instrument- Coding Byte 10 Bit 4
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/11png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/12JPG-1.jpg

2. Instrument Staging
17 Instrument- Coding Byte1 Bit0
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/21png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/22JPG-1.jpg

3. Rain Close
09-Cent Elect, Security Access:31347, Adaption
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/31png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/32png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/33png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/34JPG-1.jpg

4. LED Number Plate Light
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/41png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/42png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/43-1.jpg

5.1 Traffic Information
5F-Adaption, Follow the screen shot. and you have to make sure RDS and TP is enabled in the settings and wait for about 40mins. The traffic report will start come.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/51png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/52-1.jpg

6. Deactivate seat belt warning
17 Instrument- Adaption
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/6png-1.jpg

7. Automatic coming home/Coming home light/Coming home timer starting point
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/71png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/72png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/73png-1.jpg

8. Beep when unlock/lock.(if you have alarm fitted)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/8png-1.jpg

9. Full brake light if you have LED tail light(GTI Performance OR R)
I lost the screen shot to show your guys. Here is the photos to compare before and after. I'll post the screen shot later on.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/Golf7R1-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/Golf7R2-1.jpg

spikeyboy22
29-04-2014, 10:15 PM
So am I the only guy to run out to the golf cable in hand, vcds cable that this to try and update my my13 high line

Tmc code taken after a couple of goes, now for the wait.....

Will it work .... I am hoping

spikeyboy22
29-04-2014, 10:28 PM
We'll I am in the outer suburbs of Melbourne so might have to wait to see when it is closer to the city

GeckoZAO
29-04-2014, 10:36 PM
:banana:

GeckoZAO
29-04-2014, 10:57 PM
We'll I am in the outer suburbs of Melbourne so might have to wait to see when it is closer to the city

shouldnt matter, as long as you have reception on radio stations with TP.
i waited about 30mins.

alanzidane
29-04-2014, 10:58 PM
So am I the only guy to run out to the golf cable in hand, vcds cable that this to try and update my my13 high line

Tmc code taken after a couple of goes, now for the wait.....

Will it work .... I am hoping

I've done it to couple of cars. All works.

spikeyboy22
29-04-2014, 11:00 PM
We'll I have my fingers crossed alanzidane

vk6tnc
29-04-2014, 11:34 PM
What FM frequency does SUNA broadcast on? (http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/faqs/can-you-please-tell-me-the-frequency-my-device-should-tune-into-i-am-unable-to-receive-your-broadcast-and-want-to-verify-reception-via-car-radio/)The current frequencies are:

Melbourne – 104.3 and 101.1
Sydney – 106.5 and 103.2
Brisbane – 97.3 and 102.1
Gold Coast – 105.7
Adelaide – 102.3
Perth – 93.7
Canberra – 106.3

spikeyboy22
29-04-2014, 11:49 PM
Wow it has worked, thanks alazidane and thank you VCDS cable

You have both done what no VW dealer could or would do..

Thank you

wasabiz
30-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Man, I want to buy a VCDS cable but I'm not sure if the price of $300 is justified just for tweaking these stuff..

n0d3
30-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Hmmm, never really noticed the LED tail light, kinda annoying if the whole strip doesn't turn on!

DV52
30-04-2014, 06:16 PM
G'day all, a friend of mine (GeckoZAO) told me that many of the Golf MK7 do not have TMC (Traffic Message Channel) working.
I've also noticed there aren't any threads in this forum that collects all the tweaks, MODs for Golf MK7 at the moment.
Therefore I will now open this thread, with all the tweaks and MODs known to share with MK7 owner here.
I will also make sure try to keep this thread up to date if anything new has been found and tested.

Alanzidane: Very good stuff!!

I've been waiting for a while for someone to declare the magic number for the TMC tweak. Sucnip's post hinted that it might be "1024" (see http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/sat-nav-sd-cards-85463-post1050415.html#post1050415). But your information confirms it!!

I also particularly liked your tweak for the refuel quantity. Very neat indeed given that bit structure in byte 10 of the instrument controller (in Mr. Ross's software) gives no hint at all of the purpose of the hidden bit 4. Very elegant - take $20's from the VWW petty cash tin!!

veew
30-04-2014, 07:37 PM
So did the TMC tweak work for you Don?

readerr0r
30-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Man, I want to buy a VCDS cable but I'm not sure if the price of $300 is justified just for tweaking these stuff..

There's a thread in the VCDS section with ppl who can lend a hand :)

alanzidane
30-04-2014, 11:05 PM

I'm happy to help if you are in melboure.

Blabba
01-05-2014, 03:12 PM
I will for sure be taking you up on that offer alanzidane. Only issue I have right now is that I don't have a car :)
Should be arriving in a few weeks. Must get the traffic thing working and the brake lights. Kinda strange they don't have the full brake lights operational by default.

Cheers,

B

DV52
01-05-2014, 04:39 PM
So did the TMC tweak work for you Don?

Andrew: My apology for not getting back to you sooner. Yes, the magic number ("1024") worked OK on my my13 Golf - thanks again alanzidane. As others have already said, it takes a while for the initial traffic report lists to be downloaded into the vehicle. But after this time, the updating process is quite fast. I now have all the buttons working on my Discover Media head (including the "voice" button).

If you are intending to do the tweak yourself and if you are not familiar with the process for getting to alanzidane's screen shot, I posted a series of instructions on this procedure about 6 weeks ago in the following thread (I assume that alanzidane is GekoZAO's friend in that post - Hi to you both!).

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-post1038915.html#post1038915

I updated my post yesterday to include reference to alanzidane's information - hope this was OK, alanzidane)

Also, I needed to click the "yes" tab when asked about initiating a new controller (the message came-up for me just after I clicked the "Do it!" tab in alanzidane's screen shot).

Failing all this, I'm more than happy to do the tweak for you if you can get to my place (PM me)

TJG
01-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Found the coding for the LED tail/brake lights on GolfGTI UK (GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts. (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260248.430))

"STG09 (Central Electronics)> Access Authorisation: 31347 > Adaptation Channels> Channel (8 )-Leuchte27 NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion C27" > "Brake light on" set (default: nicht aktiv)

STG09 (Central Electronics)> Access Authorisation: 31347 > Adaptation Channels > Channel (10)-Leuchte27 NSL RC6-Dimming CD27" > on 100 Set(default: 0)"

Applied and working -I think the way VW should have done it ;)
Thanks Alanzidane - Didn't know this was possible until I saw your post - Awesome Work :banana:

armthehomeless
01-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I now have all the buttons working on my Discover Media head (including the "voice" button).

What function does the voice button do now? And were there steps to enable it?

DV52
01-05-2014, 06:39 PM
What function does the voice button do now? And were there steps to enable it?

armthehomless (now there's an interesting idea!): The "Voice" button allows the driver to navigate through most of the functions in the Discover Media facility using the spoken word. My understanding is that it uses the car's internal microphone that normally links to the mobile phone.

I have to admit that at first I thought that control of the Discover Media unit by voice was a bit of a wank, but after now using the facility for some time, I'm quite impressed by the whole thing. It means that I don't have to take my eyes off the road to change from Radio-to-Media, for example. That said, there is a certain amount of discipline that is required of the driver to successfully use the voice command facility. Most importantly, the driver has to learn the set commands and she has to articulate the words clearly to ensure correct operation.

Apparently, voice control was included (as an option, I understand) in the mk6 Golf. A few of the more knowledgable mk6 guys on VWW confirmed that the peculiar Aussie accent played havoc with voice control on that model. Pretty much the same applies for the mk7, hence the need for fully articulated and clear language in saying the commands.

I posted a few screen shots of how the voice command works on the following post-they may be of interest:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/voice-command-button-steering-wheel-89895-post1019369.html#post1019369

veew
01-05-2014, 07:11 PM
OMG that is awesome! I'm glad to hear that both TP and Voice Control now works, woohoooo!

Wait, DV52, you had voice control working before the last few days. I thought getting TP worked magically activated voice control as well. Did you track what changes occurred when your dealer installed the voice control update last year?

n0d3
01-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Wait, so we can activate voice control via VCDS now?

veew
01-05-2014, 09:25 PM
DV52 had it done by his dealer. I asked my dealer who told me VWA state it is not a feature available for the Australian market. Mixed messages, I'll only get it if I can get it for free which isn't the case according to what I was told by Customer Care ~ $400.

If it is able to be activated by VCDS then I'll def get it done that way.

Blabba
01-05-2014, 09:57 PM
So is voice control for a Mk7 R a VCDS adjustment? I have had one dealer tell me that its just not available, and another say they can do it for $500. Does anyone know the truth on this?

Cheers,

B

Ryan_R
01-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Give me the $500 and I'll change the radio station for you when you ask :P

readerr0r
01-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Have the car remember your AC Air Re-circulation setting

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49451629/Golfmk7/ac/1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49451629/Golfmk7/ac/2.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49451629/Golfmk7/ac/3.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49451629/Golfmk7/ac/4.jpg

Came from here
GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum - View Single Post - GOLF MK7 VCDS TWEAKS (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16364&postcount=11)

DV52
02-05-2014, 09:44 AM
OMG that is awesome! I'm glad to hear that both TP and Voice Control now works, woohoooo!

Wait, DV52, you had voice control working before the last few days. I thought getting TP worked magically activated voice control as well. Did you track what changes occurred when your dealer installed the voice control update last year?

Andrew: Yes, voice control on my Golf was installed late last year by my dealer after I had many, many and then many more long conversations with the inappropriately named "Customer Care" folk at VWA. Through sheer persistence, I eventually got the facility installed as a warranty matter.

Wait, so we can activate voice control via VCDS now? .
Unfortunately, the answer is no. VWW's resident VCDS mentor (Ryan_R) and I tried to back-solve the long-coding changes that occurred on my car after voice control was install. To cut a long story short, our conclusion (which also involved contributions from other VWW members) was that whilst there was a VCDS tweak involved in enabling voice control, it also required the installation of specific software (I recall that Jdbrown1953's suggestion was that the software installed the actual voice command data set into the vehicle).

Give me the $500 and I'll change the radio station for you when you ask :P .
Blabba: I would take-up Ryan_R's offer if I were you. The value proposition in his suggestion has nothing to do with voice control. Rather, the benefit (for you) is that he can teach you a lot about VW's whilst he is sitting in the passenger seat (obediently waiting for your voice commands)!

DV52
02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Have the car remember your AC Air Re-circulation setting

readerr0r: Need your help- what exactly does this tweak actually do? I looked-up automatic re-circulation settings in the manual (page 267). The manual talks about the vehicle going into recirculation mode if:
"the system detects an increase in the concentration of noxious substances in the outside air"
This sounds like a good facility to have in the cabin, but doesn't the car need to have some form of transducer(s) to monitor air quality before noxious gases can be detected? Or do these transducers come as standard equipment in the Golf 7?

Ryan_R
02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Unsure on the Mk7, but on the Mk6 comfortline they are standard (but turned off by default).

Press 'recirc' once to turn it on (manual), press it twice to turn it on auto detect mode.

readerr0r
02-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Unsure on the Mk7, but on the Mk6 comfortline they are standard (but turned off by default).

Press 'recirc' once to turn it on (manual), press it twice to turn it on auto detect mode.

Yup but what the setting does is remember it when you turn off the car. I think a few people mentioned their annoyance that when they switch on their car its forgotten whatever setting it was set to prior. Ie turn on your car it'll always be set to fresh air mode instead of auto recirc

Ryan_R
02-05-2014, 06:44 PM
I assume it just remembers however it was set when you turned the car off, just like the 'remember heated seat setting' tweak.

DV52
03-05-2014, 09:52 AM
In reading through the posts on this thread, it seems that VW has a real strange philosophy when it comes to optioning their vehicles. What's clear from the many posts here and on overseas forums is that the Golf mk7 (and I assume other VW cars) comes standard with a rich inventory of options already installed in the car regardless of the version purchased. However, many (if not most) of these options appear to be switched-off as a default.

The default-off strategy makes sense if VW then offer to switch-on these hidden options at a further cost to car buyers. However, to my knowledge, VW doesn't appear to do this for most (many) of the facilities mentioned on this thread (one exception being "Voice control" -at the outrageous price of $400-ish).

Why have all these goodies already installed in these cars and then have them switched-off as a default? It doesn't make sense. Can anyone shed light on this real strange sales strategy?

Blabba
03-05-2014, 02:46 PM
@ Ryan_R, just let me know where to pick you up :) but your paying for your own lunch.

Ryan_R
03-05-2014, 07:00 PM
You may find them on more expensive VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat cars in other countries. Control modules are often shared between various cars so the abilities are there somewhere.

They could also be disabled for legal reasons. What if someone got their body caught in the window which closed by itself when it started raining? Or ADR type issues. Or some of those features haven't been fully tetsed/QA'd. Perhaps the rain closing feature reduces the car battery life?

Just be happy you can make your car a bit more special than the next Golf. :)

Eaglehawk
03-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Why have all these goodies already installed in these cars and then have them switched-off as a default? It doesn't make sense. Can anyone shed light on this real strange sales strategy?

Could the windows close on rain be an ADR related rule? That's the only reason I could see for such features being "disabled". But then, other features are enabled by default on other VW models...

Edit: Just saw the post from Ryan_R saying the same thing...DOH...should refresh more often :)

DV52
04-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Ryan_R/Eaglehawk: Yeah, you could be correct about the ADR restrictions, but gee-there's lots of other stuff embedded in these cars that appear to have little if any impact on the Aussie design rules.

IMO, it's just a very odd thing to do commercially. Anyhow, I guess that the fact that these goodies have been turned-off has promoted VCDS product sales and it is also responsible for the kind of interest that is evident in forum threads like this one.

And yes, I agree Ryan_R, it does allow us to individualize our vehicles- which is a good thing!

wasabiz
04-05-2014, 10:46 AM
But then again, ADR people has done their research to make the car 'safe'. If a kid stick his hands out and it started raining, the window starts to shut, he starts screaming, the parents panic, they try to help, they crash, and in the end, they blame the car manufacturer for having such a feature in the car that is a 5 star ANCAP rating. People in the higher chair would have done their thinking for what to put in and what not to, even though it's screwing us the car enthusiasts over, but they think about those who are not as well.

Ryan_R
04-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Just to address that specific scenario, the windows only close automatically when:

(1) You've enabled the feature in VCDS and in the car menu
(2) The car is off
(3) The doors are locked
(4) The wiper stalk is in the Automatic position
(5) The Rain/Light Sensor (RLS) detects rain OR if x hours pass with no rain or no-one interacts with the car. Usually this occurs overnight in my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0QHS5Z_-CI

bloggo
09-05-2014, 02:30 AM
I have carried out all the mods for rain closing on my 2013 GT mk7 Golf and still it does not close the windows when wet.
Does anyone know why, as Ross Tech are unable to help?

DV52
09-05-2014, 10:18 AM
I have carried out all the mods for rain closing on my 2013 GT mk7 Golf and still it does not close the windows when wet.
Does anyone know why, as Ross Tech are unable to help?

Bloggo: I've been reading about this tweak for some time on the overseas forums. I haven't tried the tweak myself because of conflicting reports made by some folk regarding the (in)ability of the Ross-tech cable to program the "RLFS" (Rain-Light-?-Sensor) unit on the MQB platform. Quite a few forums have made the claim that the only way to program the RLFS unit is via a VCP (VagCanPro) at the moment (i.e. not via Mr Ross's cable). I know nothing at all about VCP units, so I can't comment on this assertion. Also, I don't claim to be an expert on Mr Ross's cable (compared to the awsome expertise of some on VWW). However, purely as an exercise in logic are you using the latest VCDS software? You might try loading the latest Beta SW version and then trying again (in the hope that Mr Ross has updated his latest software to be more compliant with the MQB platform)

As I said, there are many conflicting statements made about this tweak as some have said that the tweak has worked on their Mk7 vehicles.

bloggo
10-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Hello DV52, I have the latest software, I have tried beta and still I am unable to get this working. I have seen the reference to VCP but this would mean buying another unit, which is not economical. I am at a loss to understand why VCP can do this yet VCDS can't. I am rather disappointed that VCDS does not work and Ross Tech do not appear to have an answer. I have also noticed that when downloading the adaptation files there are many lines truncated in certain modules.

bloggo
10-05-2014, 01:36 AM
Hello DV52, I have received an answer to my thread on the Ross Tech site which may be of benefit.

2013 Golf 7 coding problem (http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?175-2013-Golf-7-coding-problem)

DV52
10-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Hello DV52, I have received an answer to my thread on the Ross Tech site which may be of benefit.

2013 Golf 7 coding problem (http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?175-2013-Golf-7-coding-problem)

Bloggo:Thanks for the information. The Ross-Tech posts pretty much confirm the reports that I had read on the European forums (about the VCDS cable's inability to re-code the RLFS on the MQB platform). I guess (hope) that it's just a teething problem with the new-ness of the mkVII chasis. To quote a famous BBC TV series- "in the fullness of time", I'm sure that this issue will be resolved. Until them, I reckon that we will both have to wind-up the car windows manually when it rains!

Edit: Bloggo: just had a better look at you autoscan report. You appear to have a fault on your air-quality -sensor. Why (surely it can't be related to the RLFS)?

bloggo
12-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Hello DV52, not sure; perhaps it may be because the engine was not running, other scans are clear.

singlespeed
12-05-2014, 02:05 PM
I've searched for a programmable option sheet that I could use to request features to be turned on/off when the car is in for service. I've found the VAG-COM and VCDS stuff, but I'm looking for a list of the programmable features that can be carried out by the dealer. I know some can be enabled on the Infotainment system, but there are many that cannot. VW must have a list of some sort? I'm not looking to DIY at this point.

Thanks!

n0d3
12-05-2014, 02:14 PM
There's a VAGCOM thread.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/vagcom-codes-golf-mk7-84619.html

veew
12-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Mate, I asked my dealer to do a few VCDS-like tweaks and they said they couldn't do it. I recall reading, a while back, someone on the forum had their dealer do a few tweaks for them. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it and haven't been able to find it since.

readerr0r
12-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Just find someone with VCDS?

singlespeed
12-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Sounds like it's not worth asking... :( I owned three brand new BMW's, each time during the ordering process I was given a sheet with all the programmable options, I was able to select every setting and the car was delivered with everything setup accordingly. I know VW isn't BMW, but I thought it would be a nice thing to do on their part. If they wanted to take it up a notch against Mazda, Ford, Holden, and the others in the small sedan/hatch segment they should use this to their advantage. Sometimes it's the little things that matter.

Dutch77
12-05-2014, 09:55 PM
It may be that VWA instruct dealers not to offer the service. Certain tweaks may impact other things on the car and potentially impact warranties etc - it's just easier for them not to get involved and potentially face hassles later. I'm sure some dealers will still do it, or as suggested just find someone offering VCDS post pick-up.

DV52
13-05-2014, 10:02 AM
It may be that VWA instruct dealers not to offer the service. Certain tweaks may impact other things on the car and potentially impact warranties etc - it's just easier for them not to get involved and potentially face hassles later. I'm sure some dealers will still do it, or as suggested just find someone offering VCDS post pick-up.

Dutch77: You could be entirely correct. My totally uninformed theory (which kinda supports your hypothesis) is that it's a bit like how large corporations deal with their IT systems. By this I mean that I suspect that VWA has a policy which is akin to the "Standard Operating Systems" that are imposed on large IT infrastructures. The underlying policy is that it's easier for the central agency (VWA, in this case) to manage the whole if there restrictions on the configuration of each individual unit that makes-up the whole. This philosophy is good for the controlling entity, but no-so-good for users. However, as is often the case where "Standard Operating Systems" are imposed, informed users invariably find a way to crack the restrictions. Hence the emergence of products like VCDS and forums such as this!

Dutch77
13-05-2014, 10:22 AM
However, as is often the case where "Standard Operating Systems" are imposed, informed users invariably find a way to crack the restrictions. Hence the emergence of products like VCDS and forums such as this!

Precisely.

Like checking VWW during the working day. ;)

Ryan_R
13-05-2014, 11:22 AM
And when you break your system IT just re-image your PC back to 'standard' instead of wasting 3 hours trying to figure out what went wrong.

...and then add you to their mental 'not you again' list :)

DV52
13-05-2014, 12:46 PM
And when you break your system IT just re-image your PC back to 'standard' instead of wasting 3 hours trying to figure out what went wrong.

...and then add you to their mental 'not you again' list :)

Ryan_R: Really? That's never happened to me! My usual response has been the classic "have you tried switching it on and off again" Works 99.9% of the time! IT systems run best when there are no users!!

Ryan_R
13-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Every company has 1 or 2 of those special users. If I wasn't in IT I might even be considered one of those users too. The worst case is when the same problem pops up again for that one user a week after re-imaging their PC. It's obvious that something they are doing is causing the problem but it can take a lot of time to work out what (depending on the nature of the issue).

'Off and on' again often works (a lot of important stuff happens during boot-up) - we hate suggesting it but the alternatives can be very technical or time consuming (especially if providing remote support), so why wouldn't you try it? :)

Kesh
13-05-2014, 10:00 PM
My golf will be my first new car, the whole programming and messing with the computer thing does worry me a little, but some of the features like the mirror dip is something I'd really like on mine Is there anyone or any place that could do a couple of these programs for me once I take delivery of the car?

DV52
13-05-2014, 10:30 PM
My golf will be my first new car, the whole programming and messing with the computer thing does worry me a little, but some of the features like the mirror dip is something I'd really like on mine Is there anyone or any place that could do a couple of these programs for me once I take delivery of the car?

Kesh: "The mirror dip " (when backing) doesn't need any special programming device. The function is already native in the car when new (assuming that you have purchased at least a comfortline). The process for enabling "mirror dip" is described in the manual. If you can't figure it out, give me a shout (or I'm sure others on here will be willing to assist you).

Kesh
13-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Kesh: "The mirror dip " (when backing) doesn't need any special programming device. The function is already native in the car when new (assuming that you have purchased at least a comfortline). The process for enabling "mirror dip" is described in the manual. If you can't figure it out, give me a shout (or I'm sure others on here will be willing to assist you).

Hey mate, I've bought the 90tsi dsg actually, so I don't believe I'll have it as standard, is that right?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

wasabiz
14-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Hey mate, I've bought the 90tsi dsg actually, so I don't believe I'll have it as standard, is that right?

As far as I know, The trendlind does not come with the mirror dipping

DV52
14-05-2014, 09:30 AM
As far as I know, The trendlind does not come with the mirror dipping

wasabiz: Yes, you are correct (according to the VW Golf brochure). The entry in the brochure on the specification table (page 35) doesn't even allow mirror-dip as an option for 90TSI.

Do any of the more experienced VCDS guys on VWW know if it's just a matter of replicating the byte/bit entries (for a Highline/Comfortline) on the passenger door controller, or is additional hardware needed? If it's just a tweak, the set-up for mirror dip on my car is below:

Ryan_R
14-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Don't know, but there is no harm in trying. Worst case is that you create a fault code which you can erase after.

zloybob
14-05-2014, 03:59 PM
can any post long coding for block 5F with activated TMC? thnx

anduril
14-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Is there anyone in Sydney that is experienced with VCDS that could help me out with some adjustments/enhancements? :)

andrew7
14-05-2014, 04:38 PM
^ Ditto for me for Melbourne or Bendigo

Ryan_R
14-05-2014, 05:14 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f20/vag-com-scanning-who-can-help-27504.html

DV52
15-05-2014, 12:09 AM
can any post long coding for block 5F with activated TMC? thnx

Zloybob: A couple of months ago I posted a set of instructions to enable TMC at the following link:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-post1038915.html#post1038915

I've tested the tweak and it works OK on my mkVII Golf. Hope it's what you want

zloybob
15-05-2014, 04:38 PM
I've tested the tweak and it works OK on my mkVII Golf. Hope it's what you want

Thnx, but im from Russia, and we (in Discover Pro) dont have menu items to activate RDS, AF, TP and etc.
I activated RDS menu with changing longcoding, now need activate TP, and for it im need longcoding of block 5F for compare with my

p.s. sry for my poor english :cookie:

readerr0r
15-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Thnx, but im from Russia, and we (in Discover Pro) dont have menu items to activate RDS, AF, TP and etc.
I activated RDS menu with changing longcoding, now need activate TP, and for it im need longcoding of block 5F for compare with my

p.s. sry for my poor english :cookie:

Sorry man, Australian Golfs don't get the Discover Pro, only some Skodas do so I don't think anyone would know?

DV52
15-05-2014, 04:45 PM
I know that this is a somewhat off-topic, but if I could beg a little indulgence from the moderators, I found the following pic on a VW site in Malaysia. According to the guy who posted the pic (his/her handle is "di3namix"), he was driving a mk7 GTI at the time.

His comments were:
"Not quite its top speed, far from it I guess judging from its tall gearing. Car surprisingly stable at these speeds, so much so I drove with one hand and another hand holding my heavy DSLR for this pic."

He finished his post with the following wise words:
"Note: It still pretty dangerous, hence I won't condone it."

I reckon that they are a pretty laid-back lot in Malaysia!!

andrew7
15-05-2014, 05:03 PM
DV52, looks like you have VCDS? Would you be able to help me with a MK7 R Soundakator mod- I have a screenshot of the coding change required. Send me a PM if this works for you (I am in Bendigo but regularly in Melbourne) cheers :)

zloybob
15-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Sorry man, Australian Golfs don't get the Discover Pro, only some Skodas do so I don't think anyone would know?

Discover Media? =) just need long coding from any MMI with working TMC

andrew7
15-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Here is the Soundakator mod screen shot

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/05/soundatormodscreenshot_zps961ae283-1.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/andrew_roffey1/media/soundatormodscreenshot_zps961ae283.jpg.html)

DV52
15-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Discover Media? =) just need long coding from any MMI with working TMC

Zloybob: Russia huh? wow this forum sure does get-about!

I've taken a screen shot below of the Hecadecimal coding string for block 5F (Information Elec. control module) on my car (which has TMC activated). Is this what you are after?

Like readerr0r, I would have thought that the long coding sequence from my car would be too different to the coding sequence for the Discover Pro screen. Without knowing either the byte allocation tables or the corresponding functions for every bit in each byte, how will the coding sequence on my car be of use?

DV52
15-05-2014, 06:46 PM

andrew7: Are the instructions for the VCDS tweak as follows?:
To Mute Soundakator

A9 Structure Borne Sound

Adaptation 10

At Channel drop down choose "Volume of structure borne noiseactuator" (only choice)

Enter a value in the proper box (0% = mute)

zloybob
15-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Zloybob: Russia huh? wow this forum sure does get-about!

I've taken a screen shot below of the Hecadecimal coding string for block 5F (Information Elec. control module) on my car (which has TMC activated). Is this what you are after?

=) thanks, this what I was looking

andrew7
15-05-2014, 07:35 PM
andrew7: Are the instructions for the VCDS tweak as follows?:
To Mute Soundakator

A9 Structure Borne Sound

Adaptation 10

At Channel drop down choose "Volume of structure borne noiseactuator" (only choice)

Enter a value in the proper box (0% = mute)

^ Correct Don.

This is what I copied off another UK forum:

OK, here it is (courtesy of Golf mk7 FORUM):

Go to:

- A9 Struct. Borne Sound
- Adapation 10
- Select "channel of structure borne sound " (only choice)
- Std value 100% - change to the value you want stored in % (60% has been suggested as a good happy medium, adjust to 0% if you want no noise/mini vibrations).
- "Use change code for change approval"

As above, I am planning on setting volume at 60% which from others who have done this appears a happy compromise (0% would of course = mute)

DV52
16-05-2014, 05:09 PM

readerr0r: It's always good when I don't know stuff because I learn something new! Zloybob didn't answer my question about how the long coding string from my car could be used for his Discover Pro screen. I would have thought that a byte-by-byte comparison of the coding for the two MMIs would be unworkable. Any ideas ?

readerr0r
16-05-2014, 08:56 PM
readerr0r: It's always good when I don't know stuff because I learn something new! Zloybob didn't answer my question about how the long coding string from my car could be used for his Discover Pro screen. I would have thought that a byte-by-byte comparison of the coding for the two MMIs would be unworkable. Any ideas ?

Very likely, usually the units come from different brands so there's slight differences between exact coding. I haven't had a chance to do much with Golf 7/Octavia 3 coding yet so I don't have in-depth knowledge. Getting SUNA working on the Octavia's Discover Pro is on my personal to-do though.

Plus the other Octavia coding bits and bobs, laptimer, show speed limit on the colour MFD, DRL off on indicate etc.

Ryan_R
16-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Just a shame that there is nowhere to type 1024 into in VCDS for the RNS510 (I looked) :(

readerr0r
16-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Just a shame that there is nowhere to type 1024 into in VCDS for the RNS510 (I looked) :(

The map disc has the tmc info on it. You'd have to copy the TMC folder from europe disc, figure out where it stores the key and then somehow get it to associate that with the AU map.

Ryan_R
16-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Sounds doable http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/hmmhpng-1.jpg

btw when digging around the RNS510 in VCDS I saw a setting described as 'Eject Lock' -wonder if that has anything to do with some of those guys who couldn't eject firmware CDs after botched update attempts.

DV52
17-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Ryan_R:I have zero understanding of the RNS510, but the (now) famous "1024" is equivalent to hexadecimal "400". VCDS seems to use base-16 units a lot. As an uninformed question is there anywhere to add this value?

Ryan_R
17-05-2014, 08:28 AM
There are plenty of places where you can type it :P

zloybob
18-05-2014, 07:10 PM
how the long coding string from my car could be used for his Discover Pro screen. I would have thought that a byte-by-byte comparison of the coding for the two MMIs would be unworkable. Any ideas ?
your coding
02730008FF00000011510001000900001F0100960100010247

my coding
02730001FF00000011110001001900001F0100960100010077

changing 19 to 09 activated hidden menu items, but value in adaptations 1024 dont work for Russia =(

btw
changing 01 to 02 will switch skin to GTI look

readerr0r
18-05-2014, 10:41 PM
your coding

my coding

changing 19 to 09 activated hidden menu items, but value in adaptations 1024 dont work for Russia =(

btw

1024 is the key for Australia only. Is the option to turn on TP disabled or is it just that you're getting zero messages? If the TMC service in Russia isn't free then there's not much you can do without it appearing in new Golfs/Octavias

DV52
18-05-2014, 10:59 PM
your coding

my coding

btw

Zloybob: Sorry that the coding changes didn't work for you. If you need any more coding strings, just PM me. Given readerr0r's advice, the magic number for enabling TMC in Russia is probably different. As I have said in a previous post, "1024" is equivalent to Hexadecimal "400". If there is any consistency accross countries, this may provide a clue (but I admit that it's not much of a clue) - Good luck.

Thanks for the Skin switch tweak. I saw a similar tweak on stemei.de site. Instructions were:
Adaptation of the Background of the MFA to Carbon Look

STG-17 (Instruments)
10 Adaptation
Select "Displaydarstellung" channel (which means "Display representation" in English)
Change new value to "version 2"

Haven't tried this tweak yet.

zloybob
18-05-2014, 11:21 PM
1024 is the key for Australia only. Is the option to turn on TP disabled or is it just that you're getting zero messages? If the TMC service in Russia isn't free then there's not much you can do without it appearing in new Golfs/Octavias
zero messages, btw default value in adaptation was 16

Zloybob: Sorry that the coding changes didn't work for you. If you need any more coding strings, just PM me. Thanks for the Skin switch tweak. I'll try it out in the next few days.
its working, and now i can enable TP, AF, RDS, thnx =)

one more tweak for 5F
change byte 18 value 00 to 03
and u get mini GTI =)

DV52
18-05-2014, 11:30 PM
zero messages, btw default value in adaptation was 16

its working, and now i can enable TP, AF, RDS, thnx =)

one more tweak for 5F
change byte 18 value 00 to 03
and u get mini GTI =)

Zloybob: Well done- you are a Russian Genius!!

Btw - is the Temp on your pic correct -0.5 Deg C? That's cold!!

Blabba
23-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Now that i finally have my R, am wanting to make some changes given that the dealership wouldn't do it upon delivery.
Namely the traffic one. Cant believe the dealership wouldn't do this.

Also the brake lights and number plate lights.

Anyone in Melbourne (pref Eastern Suburbs) able to assist??
Sure I rustle up some beers etc for the effort.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Cheers,

Blabba.

AdamD
23-05-2014, 06:45 PM

VAG-COM scanning, who can help (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f20/vag-com-scanning-who-can-help-27504.html)

tomcat225
29-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Flying completly blind here...... spotted this on Ozbargain....does this deal represent any value or usefullness?

Wholesale VAG COM 12.10.3 VAGCOM VCDS 12.10.30 Diagnostic Cable HEX USB Interface for VW Audi (http://www.robd2.com/vag-12-10-3-diagnostic-cable-vcds-hex-usb-interface-for-vw-audi-latest-software-best-quality.html)

What software would I need to start tinkering?

Idle
29-05-2014, 01:53 PM
This is a very suss looking device, and you should be aware that the software quoted appears to be Rosstech's latest version and quite definitely not legal.

Buy at your own risk (but then, you're not risking much, I doubt Rosstech would sue you...)

tomcat225
29-05-2014, 02:26 PM
This is a very suss looking device, and you should be aware that the software quoted appears to be Rosstech's latest version and quite definitely not legal.

Thanks for the tip... think ill leave it :) Just spotted it and thought... hrmmm that seems cheap !

flashman1207
29-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the tip... think ill leave it :) Just spotted it and thought... hrmmm that seems cheap !

They also do another one...

VAG Com VAGCOM 12.12.0 Diagnostic Cable VCDS 12.12.0 Cheap Price wholesale (http://www.robd2.com/vag-12-12-0-diagnostic-cable-vcds-12-12-0-hex-usb-interface-for-vw-audi-latest-software.html)

not sure what difference there is. Maybe one of them supports the Golf mk7

Ryan_R
29-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Just remember guys the genuine VCDS cable contains the license that unlocks the VCDS software. So these ones will be very limited in what they can do. To be sure, any of them should be able to change hex codes in control modules, but you won't have a clue what codes to change, whereas with VCDS most things are labelled and documented.

n0d3
29-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Sigh, not sure whether or not to turn down the Soundkator...still wish to hear something even though it sounds terrible lol makes me feel like I'm going faster than I actually am. :p

I'm more interested in activating the inner brake clusters on my GTI PP, seems really odd that it's not default, looks strange!

Alex31
31-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Now I know it is not legal but does anyone know the coding to turn off the EGR valve? If you do and don't want to say it Pm me please?
Cheers

Transporter
31-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Sounds doable http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/hmmhpng-1.jpg

btw when digging around the RNS510 in VCDS I saw a setting described as 'Eject Lock' -wonder if that has anything to do with some of those guys who couldn't eject firmware CDs after botched update attempts.

It's there for the car hire companies, so they don't lose the disc.

DV52
08-06-2014, 12:12 PM

Bloggo: Dana at Ross-tech has solved the coding problem for the RLF sensor (Regen/Licht/Feuchtesensor- Rain Light Humidity sensor) on the MQB platform. Just reload the latest Beta SW from Ross-Tech and try again. Mine worked a treat!

Here's Dana's link for the fix (see post #12):

2013 Golf 7 coding problem - Page 2 (http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?175-2013-Golf-7-coding-problem&p=4266&viewfull=1#post4266)

DionM
12-06-2014, 11:39 AM

Did anyone have any luck with this? I've just bought a 90TSI DSG for the in-laws and would like to enable mirror on it for them.

DV52
13-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Did anyone have any luck with this? I've just bought a 90TSI DSG for the in-laws and would like to enable mirror on it for them.

DionM: I'm fairly sure that enabling mirror dip on a 90TSI has not been attempted before (at least no one has reported progress on this task). The big question (for me) is-notwithstanding that the passenger side mirror on a 90TSI has a controllable motor, does it also have memory capabilities?

Anyhow, have you tried enabling bits 1,2 & 3 of byte 4 in the passenger door controller? I suggested this in my earlier post #107

The first thing to check is that the three bits actually appear in the Long Coding Helper for the 90TSI. As Ryan_R replied when I first suggested the tweak, the worst that can happen is that you will generate one or more errors on the passenger door controller-which you can easly clear and then roll-back the changes that you made to byte 4. Seems like a worthwhile exercise to try given the simplicity of the VCDS tweak.

If you attempt the tweak, please let us know what happens (the more information that we get on this stuff the better informed that we will all be)

Kesh
13-06-2014, 05:27 PM
I'm ready to try these, but the problem is that dad doesn't want anything possibly voiding warranty on his mk7, aka he wants something written that it won't affect warranty. I did make a thread about it, and the consensus is that it won't affect warranty because they can't tell. But dad just says what if..

DV52
13-06-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm ready to try these, but the problem is that dad doesn't want anything possibly voiding warranty on his mk7, aka he wants something written that it won't affect warranty. I did make a thread about it, and the consensus is that it won't affect warranty because they can't tell. But dad just says what if..

Kesh:despite what everyone says about the warranty issue, ultimately it all boils-down to risk management! The one universal truth about the managment of risk is that we all see the advantages and the disadvantages of risk differently. Your Dad's view is as correct (to him) as the opposite view is correct to those of us that play with VCDS cables. We just view the risk of a warranty conflict in our own individual way - and we take a position appropriately.
Perhaps if someone else does the tweak and reports that it is successful, your Dad might relent- just for this one tweak. If the report that we get back is negative, then it doesn't really matter -in your case.

Ryan_R
13-06-2014, 10:15 PM
You won't get any written guarantees, but at the same time I've had a fair amount of warranty work done on my car without any issues raised. Possibly that comes down to how nice your dealer is, but generally they'll only deny a warranty claim if it relates to something you did. i.e. they won't refuse to replace a failed gearbox just because you coded TMC and auto rain-closing windows yourself.

bloggo
14-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Hello DV52,
I had noticed from the Ross Tech site, but have not had time to try it.

Thanks .

DV52
14-06-2014, 09:47 AM
You won't get any written guarantees, but at the same time I've had a fair amount of warranty work done on my car without any issues raised. Possibly that comes down to how nice your dealer is, but generally they'll only deny a warranty claim if it relates to something you did. i.e. they won't refuse to replace a failed gearbox just because you coded TMC and auto rain-closing windows yourself.

Ryan_R: You are clearly a long time user with considerable experience when it comes to VCDS tweaks. Just out of curiousity, have you ever done a tweak that couldn't be reversed?

My second question is this:

Has anyone in VWWatercooled ever considered providing training sessions in VCDS cables? The sort of thing that I'm talking about is a beginner's guide (dummies version). Real basic stuff - just enough to give new users sufficient confidence to take their first fledgling steps. I'm very grateful for your guidance in this forum when I first started (still got an awful lot to learn), but a formal class would have been advantageous (I think).

Not sure how (or, if) this would work, but one of the sponsors (or a local distributor for Mr Ross's products) could provide support (perhaps in the form of a venue and equipment) and some of the more experienced guys could take the class. These classes would be a good advertising medium for future VCDS sales and they would add kudos to the reputation of this forum. VWWatercooled could charge a modest fee to cover their costs. Classes would vary depending on the State where they were held and dependant on the local support that was available. Classes would only run if there was sufficient demand in the State (i.e. attendance would be through formal bookings only - not sure if attendance should be restricted to forum members).

Anyhow, just a thought!

Ryan_R
14-06-2014, 03:05 PM
As long as you document what the original values were you can change them back.

You can do damage by messing around in the (ironically named) Basic Settings section of VCDS if you don't know what you're doing. As for training and confidence the Mk6 Golf VCDS thread is designed to take care of that. You should use it as a template for the Mk7 subforum and make your own thread with everything a new user needs in the first post.

Kesh
15-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys, I guess a bit of convincing will help. There are some genuine benefits to doing these minute changes. Makes the car just a bit more perfect for me.

lambertia
16-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi!

Does anyone know if there is a code to display in the driving data or similar menu in the dash whether the brake lights are on? I'm a nerd. I want to see when the car coasts and when it uses the brakes when the cruise control is on :)

Cheers,

readerr0r
16-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Hi!

Does anyone know if there is a code to display in the driving data or similar menu in the dash whether the brake lights are on? I'm a nerd. I want to see when the car coasts and when it uses the brakes when the cruise control is on :)

Cheers,

Very unlikely, but if you do it at night you'll probably be able to see to top brake light in the rear hatch light up in the rear view mirror?

DV52
16-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Hi!

Cheers,

Lambertia: The only VCDS tweak that enven remotely comes close (and it's not close at all) is a tweak that uses the tail lights as a brake light (it's on the Stemei.di site).

I'm not sure how much effort you want to put into this - but just thinking laterally, you could replace one of the barke lights with an LED version (without CANBUS correction) and then get feedback via the lamp failure message on the dash.

mgrobins
16-06-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm a little confused about the voice control offered as an accessory vs the voice control for phone (or is it the same?)

I know Australian vw's have to have it enabled at the dealer but people were uncertain if it is a vcds change or software update.

I wan't to be able to use my sterring wheel to activate voice control (either siri or my BT) to search for a contact and make calls.
The following page has vcds settings to activate voice control. Is it applicable to the MK7?

Bluetooth-9w7 module voice control retrofit, swap, install, and FAQ | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/bluetooth-9w7-module-voice-control-retrofit-swap-install-and-faq/)
I have the dealer changing my soundaktor when I collect the car this thurs so I'd be keen to have this switched on if it's possible :).

Ryan_R
17-06-2014, 09:18 AM
The above link is for the Mk6 Golf and equivalents (Tiguan, Jetta, etc) where the car wasn't optioned with Bluetooth. In the case of the Mk6 voice control is a fairly simple VCDS tweak assuming everything is wired up correctly. I'm not sure that a definitive DIY outcome has been reached for the Mk7 yet, so you may want to ask your dealer at this stage. While it is handy for some, most agree it's not worth spending hundreds of dollars on, especially if you're not the patient type (you need to speak slow and clearly, a bit like a robot). :)

turtle
17-06-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm picking up a GTI PP in a few weeks, and from what I read here the brake lights will only light up in the outer cluster, not the inner. Is this correct?
Can anyone on here help me out with getting the both clusters to light up when the brakes are applied. I'm located in Newcastle.

DV52
17-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Can anyone on here help me out with getting the both clusters to light up when the brakes are applied. I'm located in Newcastle.
Turtle: congrats on the new car - you will thoroughly enjoy driving it!
Not sure that I entirely understand your question, but as I indicated to my response to" lambertia" (previous post), there is a VCDS Tweak for the MKVII that will active both the tail lights and the brake lights when the brake is applied. I've not tried the tweak myself, but you can find detailed instructions at the following URL (you will need to use Google translate to view the web page in English):

stemei.de .VCDS Codierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - Schlusslicht als Bremslicht - VCDS Codierungen, Webdesign (http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/vw-golf-7/schlusslicht-als-bremslicht.php)

If you don't own a VCDS cable, I'm sure a fellow VWW colleague up there who has one will help.

mgrobins
17-06-2014, 01:40 PM
ok thanks for the Feedback Ryan. Does this mean I need to have my phone in a cradle and press to activate Siri if I want voice controls for calls?

I'm rather focussed on this at the moment after receiving a fine last week for 'holding my phone whilst driving'. QLD is getting tougher on this so I want to be using voice as much as possible.

readerr0r
17-06-2014, 01:54 PM
ok thanks for the Feedback Ryan. Does this mean I need to have my phone in a cradle and press to activate Siri if I want voice controls for calls?

I'm rather focussed on this at the moment after receiving a fine last week for 'holding my phone whilst driving'. QLD is getting tougher on this so I want to be using voice as much as possible.

iOS 8 will feature hands free activation of Siri which should really help when you're in the car. It'll be out in a couple of months and is compatible with any iphone that can do siri.

Siri features hands-free activation, Shazam integration in iOS 8 | iMore (http://www.imore.com/siri-features-hands-free-activation-shazam-integration-ios-8)

DV52
17-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm a little confused about the voice control offered as an accessory vs the voice control for phone (or is it the same?)

I have the dealer changing my soundaktor when I collect the car this thurs so I'd be keen to have this switched on if it's possible :).

mgrobins: Not sure if this will help, but here are a couple of screen shots of how voice control works for the phone facility on a mkVII:

The first screen is what appears after you press the mic button on the steering wheel and say "phone":

The next screen is what happens when you say something like "Contacts"

Voice Control then invites you to say either the line number (shown in red), or the contact name (which I have obscured in the pic). It then dials the phone number.

My phone is a Nokia but I'm fairly sure that you don't need to use Siri function on an IPhone (i.e. the voice function on the Iphone is not related to the voice facility on the mkVII).

I didn't pay the suggested $400+ to have voice control installed on my car and I agree with Ryan_R that the facility is not worth this investment (I also agree with his statement about the degree of clarity that is required when pronouncing words to make voice control work correctly).

That said, I'm a believer in the adage that says "the only judgement of product value that is important is the one belonging to the person paying the money"! So you might have an entirely different (but equally valid) view.

mgrobins
17-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks for that info :).

I received some 'inside advice' at the VW dealer regarding the Voice Control options. It is an SD card install that also requires VCDS update. The dealer purchases an SD card and it is used on your vehicle I am told.... hence the cost.

My dealer was willing to meet me at $200 but the quiet word is it's not worth it due to pronunciation issues.

If I can access my contacts and make calls by voice then I'm happy :).

The dealer is turning off the Soundaktor for me - which required a new contract be signed to indicate my request for a non factory setup :P

DionM
22-06-2014, 09:08 PM
DionM: I'm fairly sure that enabling mirror dip on a 90TSI has not been attempted before (at least no one has reported progress on this task). The big question (for me) is-notwithstanding that the passenger side mirror on a 90TSI has a controllable motor, does it also have memory capabilities?

Anyhow, have you tried enabling bits 1,2 & 3 of byte 4 in the passenger door controller? I suggested this in my earlier post #107

The first thing to check is that the three bits actually appear in the Long Coding Helper for the 90TSI. As Ryan_R replied when I first suggested the tweak, the worst that can happen is that you will generate one or more errors on the passenger door controller-which you can easly clear and then roll-back the changes that you made to byte 4. Seems like a worthwhile exercise to try given the simplicity of the VCDS tweak.

If you attempt the tweak, please let us know what happens (the more information that we get on this stuff the better informed that we will all be)

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. No I've not tried anything - don't even have the hardware. But I'd buy it if I knew I could tweak a few things for them.

DV52
22-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. No I've not tried anything - don't even have the hardware. But I'd buy it if I knew I could tweak a few things for them.
DionM: Buying a genuine Ross-Tech cable is a pretty expensive piece-of-kit for a tweak that might not even work! IMO buying a cheap Ebay knock-off is just a waste of money. Why don't you see if anyone on this forum who lives near you (and who has a cable) is willing to try the tweak on your car? Most the folk here are genuinely helpful.

DionM
22-06-2014, 11:10 PM
DionM: Buying a genuine Ross-Tech cable is a pretty expensive piece-of-kit for a tweak that might not even work! IMO buying a cheap Ebay knock-off is just a waste of money. Why don't you see if anyone on this forum who lives near you (and who has a cable) is willing to try the tweak on your car? Most the folk here are genuinely helpful.

Oh I've been thinking of buying one for my own Jetta anyway ...

DV52
24-06-2014, 06:20 PM
I rely on the digital Speedo on my Golf a-lot when driving. But, when I use the MFD for other purposes (like navigation, say), the digital speed is lost. Well here is an interesting VCDS tweak that reinstates the digital Speedo in these instances (albeit the replacement Speedo is displayed on the discover media screen rather than on the MFD). Even if you have no interest in this function at the moment, I reckon that it's a good facility to have enabled (in the background) in case the need arises later. I've implemented this tweak on my car and I can vouch that it works. Acknowledgement to the stemei.de site for the original material.

Edit: Before proceeding, I should make it clear that once the tweak is implemented, the Driving-School mode screen will become the default page whenever the "CAR" button is pressed (thanks Jonoz), This notwithstanding, the tweak does NOT affect access to any other pages or screens. (simply press the <, or > symbols on the screen, or press the "view" panel at the bottom LHS)

Enable DRIVING SCHOOL MODE - mkVII Golf

1. Select 5F- Information Electr.
2. Select 10- Adaptation
3. From the pull down channel list. select (11)- Vehicle function list CAN-Driving_school (it's about 40% down the channel list)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/10501-vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-dsm1-png
4 In the New value box, select Available option. Click Do It! tab. Click Add to log to record a copy of the change report.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/10502-vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-dsm2-png
5. Click Yes in the VCDS:Re-Code Invalid dialogue box

6 From the pull down channel list. select (171)- Vehicle menu operation-menu_ display_ driving_ school (it's about 75% down the channel list)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/10503-vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-dsm3-png
7. In the New value box, select activated option. Click Do It! tab. Click Add to log to record a copy of the change report.

8. From the pull down channel list. select (173)- Vehicle menu operation-menu _display _driving _school _over _threshold _high (it's about 75% down the channel list)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/10504-vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-dsm4-png
9. In the New value box, select activated option. Click Do It! tab. Click Add to log to record a copy of the change report.
10. Click Go Back and exit from the VCDS software.

Using DSM in the car
Driving School Mode can be accessed as follows:

Press the "CAR" button on the RHS of the Discover media head
then press the word "view" on the bottom LHS of the entry screen (you can just see "view" in the pic below).
then select "driving data" option from the list
then repeatedly press either the "<", or">" symbols until the "Driving school mode" screen appears.

I've included a screen-shot from my car below:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/10505-vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-dsm5_1_10-png

As can be seen, the Driving-school-mode screen displays the car's prevailing speed (duplicate of the speedometer) and the operation of the turn indicators. Also shown here is accumulated information since DSM was selected (i.e. a learning-to-drive pupil's distance travelled, elapsed time, average speed and average fuel efficiency). From my preliminary observations, it appears that these historic values reset every time that the engine is switched off)

Eaglehawk
24-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Love it!

DeboDasAuto
24-06-2014, 10:39 PM
yep neat - thanks v much for that info

salrom
25-06-2014, 02:43 AM
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the thread for this but it seems a place that knows about fault codes.

I picked up my new GTI PP demo a few weeks ago only to find that the dealer delivery consisted of a quick external wash.

Suspicious that the car was not right I had a report done and it reveled several fault codes among other minor things.

The technician said that it needed a software update which new cars get as part of the dealer delivery preparations.

He said that once they update the software and clear the codes the car should not show any fault codes and I should request a print out with the car ID showing that there are no faults.

The car is in at the dealer now and I was told that they don't provide a print " In relation to the fault codes reported, I have additional paperwork that I can show you, but not release as it is expressly prohibited by Volkswagen for dealerships to handover Diagnostic Protocol logs to any persons other than technical staff at authorized dealerships (this is in fact standard across most manufacturers). "

Can any on tell me if this is true.

They also wrote about this fault
A/C Operation Fault Code:This is a sporadic fault code which occasionally occurs on vehicles when the a/c unit causes a circuit to open literally for a split second. There is no ‘fix’ for this rather a resetting. This has been carried out and fault code has now cleared.

Dose any know if this is true? or may there be a problem that they don't want or cant fix?

It seems a strange way to design a system that is meant to tell you when something is not working correctly.

Thanks i hope this is the place to post this if not can I be directed to the right place.

veew
25-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Enable DRIVING SCHOOL MODE - mkVII Golf

Useage: the Driving School Mode can be viewed through the Vehicle Status screen on the Discover media head.
I've included a screen-shot of my car below:

As can be seen, the screen now displays the car's prevailing speed (duplicate of the speedometer) and in addition the operation of the turn indicators is also shown

That is cool!

siu_loong_bao
25-06-2014, 03:53 PM
I am new to this forum and have read through this whole thread. Geeze...it's not easy to follow 18 pages...Anyway, I've compiled the codes (based of these 18 pages and their links) and have PDFed it. However, I don't know how to upload it. If someone can PM me, I will gte it uploaded for the benefit of all Mk7 owners.

DV52
25-06-2014, 05:03 PM
I am new to this forum and have read through this whole thread. Geeze...it's not easy to follow 18 pages...Anyway, I've compiled the codes (based of these 18 pages and their links) and have PDFed it. However, I don't know how to upload it. If someone can PM me, I will gte it uploaded for the benefit of all Mk7 owners.

siu_loong_bao: Welcome to VWWatercooled and what a stirling effort to read through the entire thread (all 18 pages) - I'm impressed!.
I'm not aware of any way of directly sharing a document on this forum. I use "zoho" as a third party facility for this purpose (the basic service is free). But there are lots of other service providers that do similar stuff.

lambertia
25-06-2014, 10:31 PM
The driving school mode is awesome. Too bad it doesn't show the brake lights :-)

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

siu_loong_bao
26-06-2014, 07:21 AM
siu_loong_bao: Welcome to VWWatercooled and what a stirling effort to read through the entire thread (all 18 pages) - I'm impressed!.
I'm not aware of any way of directly sharing a document on this forum. I use "zoho" as a third party facility for this purpose (the basic service is free). But there are lots of other service providers that do similar stuff.

As an example, here's a copy of a PDF file containing a bunch of VCDS tweaks for the mkVII (I've used an example that is 18 pages long - like your document). Hope that I haven't stolen your thunder. I'm happy to remove the link if I have

https://docs.zoho.com/file/mb9ur5eb886085ece42d98a9dd790ec4f5dd6

LOL..no thunder stolen...I am the noob here...

Ryan_R has PM'ed me to host the PDF, so I'll send him an email now with the PDF. I just downloaded yours, it's much more "structure" than mine (with an index). Happy for you to combine both docs if you need to. Hopefully, we can grow this PDF as days go by...I also managed to woo a friend of mine to help me with some these these tweaks with his cable (but I need to buy him a bowl of pho)...LOL

AdamD
26-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Guys, rather than creating a PDF, a better idea is for one of the moderators or interested parties to maintain a summary of the thread's contents (a quick reference guide, for example), either in the first post or else in a locked thread elsewhere in the section. That summary can then be edited and maintained on an ongoing basis by the creator or moderators. Much better than using a PDF which can't be edited, that may make its way elsewhere where its information could be used out of context.

If someone wants to put their hand up to maintain this on an ongoing basis (DV52?), PM me and we'll set it up and sticky it.

DV52
26-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Guys, rather than creating a PDF, a better idea is for one of the moderators or interested parties to maintain a summary of the thread's contents (a quick reference guide, for example), either in the first post or else in a locked thread elsewhere in the section. That summary can then be edited and maintained on an ongoing basis by the creator or moderators. Much better than using a PDF which can't be edited, that may make its way elsewhere where its information could be used out of context.

If someone wants to put their hand up to maintain this on an ongoing basis (DV52?), PM me and we'll set it up and sticky it.

Ryan_R has PM'ed me to host the PDF, so I'll send him an email now with the PDF..

AdamD: I think that Ryan_R's offer in volunteering to host the PDF facility is a commendable gesture and I'm sure that it will be appreciated by all who come here to learn (me included). The other benefit that results from Ryan_R's leadership role in this task is that he brings a considerable degree of gravitas to the final product by virtue of his standing in this forum.
From my short time as a forum member here, I have observed (correctly I hope) that sticky threads only succeed if they remain relevant to the changing needs of forum members. Active collaboration and the energetic involvement of others seems to be key to this success, so I hope that Ryan_R's task will not be an arduous one. I'm more than happy to provide whatever assistance that I can to lessen the load and I hope others will do likewise. That said, I have to acknowledge that my skills (both as a forum member and as a VCDS practitioner) can best be described as rudimentary!
Being a relative new-comer to forums in general and VCDS tweaks in particular, I'm not sure that I understand what it is that is being proposed (my apology for being blunt). Is the new service simply a cut-and-paste of VCDS tweaks on VWW (for the mkVII), or is it a kind of meta-data facility of tweaks from other forums? Is it restricted to VCDS tweaks that have been proven to work on Australian vehicles (by forum members), or is it a grab-bag of tweaks that may have worked overseas but are unproven here (i.e. a reference list of tweaks for forum members to try- at their own peril)? Is it both? Again my apology for being frank so early in the process , but I believe that clarity at the beginning is always useful. I assume that the normal caveats about no liability applying will prevail as will the standard etiquette that contributors will always acknowledge the original authors if the material is not new.

Ryan_R
26-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Given that I don't own a Mk7 (and don't plan to at this stage) it would be best for you to make a new thread similar to the one in the Mk6 Golf subforum so that you can keep it up to date (I don't even mind if you copy/paste the first post and use the same format). As this area gets busier I'll be less inclined to keep up to date with it. :)

You'll find most members here aren't over-protective of their findings, just give credit to them (or external websites) where possible. They'll be more happy to have a clear resource for new members (and themselves) instead of having to scroll through pages of posts looking for that one screenshot.

Tip - make a few 'reserved' posts in your new thread and use them for different sections (Comfort tweaks, Sport tweaks, retrofits, etc) - reason being is you are limited to X images per post.

Dutch77
26-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Tip - make a few 'reserved' posts in your new thread and use them for different sections (Comfort tweaks, Sport tweaks, retrofits, etc) - reason being is you are limited to X images per post.

Good tip, it's five images per post (if hosted by VWW). If you're linking to elsewhere then no issues.

DV52
26-06-2014, 04:26 PM

Good tip, it's five images per post (if hosted by VWW). If you're linking to elsewhere then no issues.

Ryan_R /Dutch77: Thank you both for the tip. I was already aware of the 5 images per post restriction but here's the genesis of my problem in accepting Ryan_R's suggestion- what's a "reserved" post and how does it combat this limitation?

Dutch77
26-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Ryan_R /Dutch77: Thank you both for the tip. I was already aware of the 5 images per post restriction but here's the genesis of my problem in accepting Ryan_R's suggestion- what's a "reserved" post and how does it combat this limitation?

It doesn't combat the locally hosted five image problem, but will allow you to later add information and keep it at the top of the thread. You can just open a new thread and post X number of blank posts that can later be edited and filled up as required (well almost blank, you need to post the minimum six characters or whatever - but that can just be along the lines of 'reserved for sport tweaks' etc).

Ryan_R
26-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Reserved

Ryan_R
26-06-2014, 06:44 PM
^That is a reserved post :)

Mods can also copy/paste the first post to make a duplicate which you then edit if you ask nicely.

DV52
26-06-2014, 08:22 PM
It doesn't combat the locally hosted five image problem, but will allow you to later add information and keep it at the top of the thread. You can just open a new thread and post X number of blank posts that can later be edited and filled up as required (well almost blank, you need to post the minimum six characters or whatever - but that can just be along the lines of 'reserved for sport tweaks' etc).

^That is a reserved post :smile:
Mods can also copy/paste the first post to make a duplicate which you then edit if you ask nicely.

Dutch77/Ryan_R: What a devilishly simple and breathtakingly elegant trick! I now know what separates us troglodytes from you guys (only kidding)!

DV52
28-06-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure how others feel, but I've always found it strange that the mkVII Golf designers have chosen to turn-off the fan speed indicator on climate control when "auto" mode is selected (this doesn't happen in manual mode). Yes, I can hear you thinking "it's not a big thing" and you're right, but a major aspect of climate control that I sense when driving (besides the obvious change in temperature), is the sound of the fan as it changes speed from time-to-time. This often leads me to think- what's the fan doing?

Anyway, to satiate my constant curiosity, I reinstated the fan speed indicator using the following simple tweak (which I found by sheer accident whilst browsing through the "auto hvac" module). I can vouch that it works.

Restore fan speed indicator in "Auto" mode

(1) Select 08-auto HVAC

(2) Select 07-Long Coding

(3) Go to Byte 11

(4) Enable bit 6 (shown in screen above). Exit the screen

(5) If all goes well, you should get the screen above with the value of byte 11 changing to hex 40 (i.e. hex40=binary 0010 0000).

Note down the "Current Coding" value and the "New Coding" value as a record of the change (or take a screen-shot)

Press Do It! and exit the VCDS software

(6) Switch climate control to "auto" mode, wait a bit for the fan to start-up and you should get-back the fan speed indicator (as per pic above-my appolgy for the dusty camera lense)

DV52
28-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Determining the optimal number of cycles of the turn indicator when the driver wants to signal a lane change seems to be very much a personal thing!

For me, I guess that this decision is ultimately a choice between two conflicting risks (at least): on the one hand, there's a risk that too few "blinks" will result in other drivers not seeing the change-lane signal, and there is the countervailing risk that too many "blinks" may incorrectly send a signal such as, I'm about to make a left hand turn at the oncoming intersection. This second risk potentially gives the wrong message to a car that is waiting at the intersection that it's safe to turn into the lane that I'm travelling-on .

Whilst the mkVII Golf doesn't make this choice any easier, it does allow VCDS cable owners to change the number of "blinks" when the turn-indicator stalk is momentarily activated. I've implemented the VCDS tweak and after solving a few teething problems, I can vouch that it works. On this point, please make sure that you read the error-fix instructions at the end of the tweak. I acknowledge the VW Golf MkVII site for some of this material.

Changing "Blinker" Cycles- VCDS Tweak

(1) select 09-Cent. Elect.

(2) Select Security Access-16 and enter the magic number "31347"

(3) Select Adaptation-10

(4) From pull-down menu, select (2) - Turn Signal Controls-Komfortblinken Blinkzykien (it's about 40% down the list)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/10561-vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-blinkers_b-jpg

(5) Enter the desired number into the New Value box as shown above. Note that the acceptable range is 1 to 5 and the default value is 3

(6) Click the Do It! tab.

Click Add to log to record a copy of the change report.

Click Go Back and exit the VCDS program

Error fix - if needed:
None of the other forums report any problems with this tweak. However, if (as happend to me) when the turn indicator stalk is momentarily operated, either the number of "blinks" hasn't change, or if only one "blink" occurs (assuming that more than one blink was input to the new value box above), the additional following steps will need to be completed (thanks flygteye):

Press the Car button on the RHS of the discover/composition media head.
Press Set-up on the bottom RHS of the screen
In the Vehicle Setting screen, press the Factory Settings panel (it's at the very end of the list at the bottom of the screen)
In the Factory Settings screen, under Reset individual settings/data, press Vehicle
Press Reset tab in the window that says Reset "Vehicle" settings-are you sure?

Unfortunately, the consequence of resetting Vehicle to factory settings is (not surprisingly) that any previously stored personal settings will be lost, so you will have to re-establish these values. However, the reset instructions do seem to fix the VCDS tweak error-if this error is present. On my car, after I had reset to factory setting the first time, I was able to repeat the VCDS tweak numerous times without having to repeat the error fix steps.

DV52
02-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Hi all
I'm interested in changing the setting for the "Expanded Electronic Differential Lock" on my mk7 Golf, but I'm having dificulty accessing the adaptation channel.

I've tried getting help from Ross-Tech folk but the staff there (Dana) say that mine is not a known problem. So, I'm seeking assistance from forum colleagues who own a mk7 Golf. Basically, I'd like to know if others have the same problem when they try to access the XDS channel.

Here are the instructions (I can't get to step 4 because of the error on the screen below):

1, Select [03] ABS
2. Select 10 Adaptation
3. From the pull down menu, select “Expanded electronic differential lock”
4. In the New value box select : “Standard”, “Not activated”, “Weak”, “Medium”, “Strong”

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/07/2L9Je2Upng1-1.jpg

Thank you in advance

Edit: After reviewing the Adaptation Control map for the ABS control module, it seems that the Expanded Electronic Differential lock is not an available channel on my13 vehicles (see the Adaptation control map for address 03-ABS in link in post #197) - thanks NEtech

lambertia
03-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Dv52,

Just wanted to say that the reference thread is awesome. Good work,

Greg.

DV52
03-07-2014, 11:58 PM
Dv52,

Just wanted to say that the reference thread is awesome. Good work,

Greg.

Greg: Thanks for the kind words, but the real credit goes to Adam_D -it was his suggestion.

booba
04-07-2014, 07:39 AM
hi mate, can you explain the brake light and number plate light mod. i vaguely saw something about the tail lights in mk7 R that could be programmed in vcds however haven't been able to find it since.

Now that i finally have my R, am wanting to make some changes given that the dealership wouldn't do it upon delivery.
Namely the traffic one. Cant believe the dealership wouldn't do this.

Also the brake lights and number plate lights.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Cheers,

Blabba.

AdamD
04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Dv52,

Just wanted to say that the reference thread is awesome. Good work

^ This. More people need to click the star button beneath his posts to give him extra rep points! The forum software won't allow me to give him any more. ;)

turtle
05-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Hi all, just picked up my new GTI PP and I've been reading on here about people activating the Traffic Alert system. Has anyone got any feedback on what its actually like? Does it only work in the capital cities? Is it worth finding someone to activate it for me?
My dealer told me that VW are 'trailing it' in Sydney, however I find this hard to believe as I have a family member with a Holden Thunder ute that's 3-4 years old and has traffic monitoring as standard, and it works fine.
Seems pretty stupid that they put a button for it in the media system however don't allow you to use it

DeboDasAuto
08-07-2014, 02:27 PM
I read somewhere (in this forum) that all traffic info comes from one source SUNA - and car companies (or nav units) pay SUNA a licence fee - VW have not paid up so traffic is disabled. If you have the laptop/cable/skills and enable it, then you will get the traffic info. Also some Golfs have slipped thru with it enabled but no-one seems to be sure how/why.

DV52
09-07-2014, 04:50 PM
The following link contains a spreadsheet listing the complete set of Adaptation Control Maps for a Golf mkVII 103TSI (Highline). The spreadsheet can be downloaded if required.

Adaptation Control Maps for MkVII 103TSI (https://docs.zoho.com/file/mb9ur5c9605f28acd48e881ce9f28676807de)

This information is provided as reference material and as a facility to record VCDS tweak changes
For those who may not be aware of these reports, an Adaptation Control Map lists all the possible adaptation channels for a control module (i.e the name of the channel and its "Stored value").
The spreadsheet can be used as a "base-line" of the default values for each Adaptation channel in the vehicle. Suitable notations can be made in the cells adjacent to the relevant Adaptation channel when these values change (i.e. as a result of a VCDS tweak).
PM me if you want a copy of the origial Excel version (i.e. .xlsx file)

Blabba
16-07-2014, 01:02 PM
hi mate, can you explain the brake light and number plate light mod. i vaguely saw something about the tail lights in mk7 R that could be programmed in vcds however haven't been able to find it since.

With the brake light mod, it changes the rear brake lights that when the brake pedal is depressed it also uses the boot lights, not ply the rear quarter lights. By default, these boot lights are only static parking lights. Not sure why this is not turned on, but i can confirm that with them turn on it looks better, but by god are they bright.

The Rear number plate LED lights are installed on my car by default, not sure if this is the norm with everyone, so no mod or adjustment was made. The only other things I have done are to replace the globes in the vanity mirrors for both driver and passenger, and also in the boot to be LED globes, not the standard halogens.
This has dramatically increased the brightness internally, and a bit in the boot. But I would recommend to VW that they install two lights in the boot as even with the LED in the boot that is significantly brighter, its not enough light. It really needs a second globe on the other side.

Cheers,

Blabba.

slashj
17-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought an OEM Steering Wheel with paddle shift to replace my existing steering wheel which didn't have paddles.
It's for a 90TSI Comfortline DSG MK7

My mechanic installed the steering wheel quite easily and the paddles work even without programming.
However, the EPC light is up and there are a few faults that he could not clear because we don't know the VCDS codes.

The faults are: STOP/START system error, and Cruise Control error.

I am hoping the VCDS experts in this thread can shed some light on what codes we need to change..

So in summary, currently the new steering wheel (with paddle shifts) is working.
But Stop/Start system and cruise control system are not working.

thanks!

DV52
18-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought an OEM Steering Wheel with paddle shift to replace my existing steering wheel which didn't have paddles.

My mechanic installed the steering wheel quite easily and the paddles work even without programming.
However, the EPC light is up and there are a few faults that he could not clear because we don't know the VCDS codes.

The faults are: STOP/START system error, and Cruise Control error.

I am hoping the VCDS experts in this thread can shed some light on what codes we need to change..

So in summary, currently the new steering wheel (with paddle shifts) is working.
But Stop/Start system and cruise control system are not working.

thanks!

slashj :Sounds like an interesting project that has (mostly) gone well for you. Well done!

I'm by no means an expert on VCDS stuff but there are lots of folk here wth awsome expertise on these cables. That said, it might help in understanding more about your problem if you post an autoscan report for your car so that all can see the exact nature of the error codes.

I'm not sure if you have done something like this before, but posting autoscan reports on forums can tend to be a bit ugly for the reader because they usually take-up alot of screen space. A good way of limiting the visual impact of autoscan reports is to enclose the actual text in what's called the "Code" command.

This is done by: first pressing the # symbol at the top RH side of the dialogue window. You should then see the Code commands appear. Paste the report text just before the word "[/Code]" and preview the results

Good luck!

slashj
18-07-2014, 01:03 PM
slashj :Sounds like an interesting project that has (mostly) gone well for you. Well done!

I'm by no means an expert on VCDS stuff but there are lots of folk here wth awsome expertise on these cables. That said, it might help in understanding more about your problem if you post an autoscan report for your car so that all can see the exact nature of the error codes.

I'm not sure if you have done something like this before, but posting autoscan reports on forums can tend to be a bit ugly for the reader because they usually take-up alot of screen space. A good way of limiting the visual impact of autoscan reports is to enclose the actual text in what's called the "Code" command.

Hello, I will try to get hold of the autoscan codes - mechanic has them. He scanned all computers in the car (it took a while) and emailed them to Ross tech as well.

Yeah the paddle shift works like a treat - makes the car that much more enjoyable and easy to drive.

thanks!

veew
18-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi all,

thanks!

Where did you buy the steering wheel and who did your installation?

slashj
18-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Where did you buy the steering wheel and who did your installation?

I bought the steering wheel online OEM, there's a shop on ebay selling them.

The mechanic I usually goto installed it for me - he services merc/audi/vw.
He checked the steering wheel prior to installation and confirmed it's legit (I guess from the sticker/qcodes stamp).

Post install, we went for a drive and confirmed the electronic control on the steering wheel working (volume, mute, music control etc).
But some fault lights showing on the MFD.
However, when he linked up his computer and VCDS he couldn't clear them as we couldn't work out the codes - some were in german, and some didn't have names.

Based on recommendation from another forum, I went to another VW shop who regularly does VCDS programming. The mechanic there was very helpful but he was also stumped. I think he couldn't figure out how to tell the car i have the tiptronic steering wheel.

BCK
28-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Minor note:

on my car (MY14.5 Highline, R-Line), the battery SOC (state of charge) display when the car is off has already been activated, and does not appear in any VCDS menu drop.

Jazrod
31-07-2014, 11:53 PM

1. Refuel Quantity
17 Instrument- Coding Byte 10 Bit 4
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/11png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/12JPG-1.jpg

2. Instrument Staging
17 Instrument- Coding Byte1 Bit0
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/21png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/22JPG-1.jpg

3. Rain Close
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/31png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/32png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/33png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/34JPG-1.jpg

4. LED Number Plate Light
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/41png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/42png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/43-1.jpg

5.1 Traffic Information
5F-Adaption, Follow the screen shot. and you have to make sure RDS and TP is enabled in the settings and wait for about 40mins. The traffic report will start come.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/51png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/52-1.jpg

6. Deactivate seat belt warning
17 Instrument- Adaption
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/6png-1.jpg

7. Automatic coming home/Coming home light/Coming home timer starting point
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/71png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/72png-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/73png-1.jpg

8. Beep when unlock/lock.(if you have alarm fitted)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/8png-1.jpg

9. Full brake light if you have LED tail light(GTI Performance OR R)
I lost the screen shot to show your guys. Here is the photos to compare before and after. I'll post the screen shot later on.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/Golf7R1-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/Golf7R2-1.jpg

I have been trying for days to get the instrument staging to work and it just isn't . . . I read in the past that it needs to have a specific type of gauge, but from the pic supplied on this thread I can see that it is a Highline's cluster much like my own! What am I doing wrong?

DV52
01-08-2014, 07:43 PM
I have been trying for days to get the instrument staging to work and it just isn't . . . I read in the past that it needs to have a specific type of gauge, but from the pic supplied on this thread I can see that it is a Highline's cluster much like my own! What am I doing wrong?

Jazrod: I've done the gauge sweep tweak a couple of times and I've had no problems with it - and we appear to have the same model Golf. Please forgive me if you already know this stuff, but the following is what should happen if everything is going right:

I assume that you have navigated to the long coding helper for 17-Instruments control module
I also assume that you have selected Byte1 as shown in the screen shot below
Let's concentrate on Byte 1 only (I've but a Blue box around Byte 1) because this is where the gauge sweep is enabled.
The screen shot below (which was taken from my car before the tweak was done) shows the Hex and binary value for Byte 1. The Coding for Byte1 on your car should be the same as shown below. The Hex value (I've put a Red Box around the Hex value) is "A4" and the equivalent Binary value is 1010 (this is Hex "A") 0100 (this is Hex 4) - see the Yellow box. Notice that a "1" appears in the binary value where ever there is a tick in each of the boxes (i.e. Bit7 -left most bit, bit5 and bit2).
When you place a tick in Bit 0, the binary value will change to "1010 0101 (tel:1010 0101)". Notice that the right-hand most bit (this is bit 0) changed from 0 to 1. The equivalent Hex value will change accordingly to "A5". See alanzadine's pic. above for how the hex and binary values should change after you have ticked the bit0 box
When you exit this screen (by clicking the"X" on the top RHS of the screen shot below), you should see (in the new coding screen that appears) that the coding values in the box called "New value" are exactly the same as the original coding values except that the fourth value from the LHS should have changed from "4" to "5". If this happens, write down the before and after coding values some where as a record of the tweak and click the "Do it!" tab and then exit the software.
Turn-off the ignition, remove the key then re-insert the key, turn-on the ignition and the gauges should dance!

Again, my apology if you already know this procedure

If this doesn't work, please paste-up a copy of the autoscan report for your car for 17- Instruments control module (so we can see the type of equipment). Also, please advise what type of cable you have and what version software you are using. Finally, do you get any error messages after the tweak is attempted?

Jazrod
07-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Ok that worked!!! Thanks so much, mate!

In regard to the TCPS, when you leave it for the 40mins+ does the ignition/engine need to be on? I changed all the coding (entered the 1024 with no errors) and followed procedure. Just wasn't sure on how to leave it.

DV52
07-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Ok that worked!!! Thanks so much, mate!

In regard to the TCPS, when you leave it for the 40mins+ does the ignition/engine need to be on? I changed all the coding (entered the 1024 with no errors) and followed procedure. Just wasn't sure on how to leave it.

Jazrod: No need for thanks, it was my pleasure.

O.K. Let's talk about the TMC tweak. Not sure how much you know about this service, so I will start with the basics (my apology if I am incorrect in my approach). The service is provided by SUNA Australia (Intelematics). TMC information is transmitted in Australia via commercial FM radio stations in the State capital cities (not sure about Tasmania). The underlying data for TMC is encoded onto the RDS (Radio Data System), which is a special communications protocol for transmitting digital data packets via a 57khz sub carrier frequency (this is the 3rd harmonic frequency for the stereo pilot tone on FM radio stations - but this is probably too much information for this post!)

The reason why I'm telling you this techo stuff is because it may explain why TMC reports are delayed in your case. To get TMC reports, you have to be in an area where reception is good for FM radio stations in a State capital city (SUNA transmits on only one, or two FM stations in each Capital city). In addition, the reception strength must be such that you can get RDS to work. Whilst the coding protocols for TMC are a little different to the normal digital info that the FM radio station transmits, a good test is that you are actually receiving RDS data from a radio station (i.e. you are getting music in stereo and the discover media screen is showing info about the song that is playing). But, good FM reception is a tricky thing at the best of times and the RF environment in a vehicle is far from ideal - factors such as dense city buildings, interference from large inductive devices like train/tram motors affect the quality of FM reception). Also, largely as a result of the higher frequencies, FM reception is pretty much a line-of-sight thing and undulating hills and valleys will act as a shield for the RF signal. Finally, to get TMC to work, you should see the word "TP" appear on the top line of the discover media screen.

You don't need to be tuned into the SUNA station to get TMC reports. In fact, you don't even need to have selected the FM band. From what I have read, there are separate FM front ends in the discover media unit and separate RDS decoding circuits for the TMC function - which kinda makes sense given the close integration that needs to occur between TMC data and the GPS positioning circuits. This said, I suspect that there is some common processing of the raw subcarrier signal (because RDS & TP must be enabled in the radio setup menu for TMC to work) but I'm just guessing and again this is probably an unnecessary digression for this post!

Hope this helps - or at the very least it does not confuse! If I can be of further assistance, please ask.

Ryan_R
07-08-2014, 11:09 AM
^ basically you'll have 'TP' or 'No TP' displayed based on availability and your defined Settings

DV52
07-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks Ryan_R, I forgot about this this point.

On a totally different, but related matter, I've been asked whether a mk6 Golf can receive the TMC service. Is this possible?

DV52
17-08-2014, 06:33 PM
It's all in the name! Well...it is for me when it comes to the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). And the operative word for this neat little safety feature must surely be the term "Running". So here's my question:- why have the DRLs switched on when the car isn't "Running" (i.e. the car isn't actually moving)? Well it appears that the good Burghers in Germany have also considered this question and they have included a facility in the mk7 that allows the Handbrake to speak to the DRLs. What a clever lot they are in Germany!!

Turn-off DRLs when Handbrake is engaged
The instructions below describe how to implement a VCDS tweak that automatically turns-off the DRLs when the handbrake is engaged and then switches the DRLs back-on again when the Handbrake is disengaged. Grateful acknowledgement to the Stemei.de site for the original material.
Before proceeding, please consider any implications from this tweak on the Australian Design Rules and its application to vehicles fitted with DRLs.

1. Select 09 - Cent Elect. module control

2. Select Security Access-16

3. Enter the magic access code. Click Do it! tab

4. Select Adaptation - 10.
5. From the pull-down channel, select (5)-Daytime running lights- Tagfshrlicht-Tagfahrlicht Dauerfahrlicht bei Handbremse abschalten (it's about 10% down the channel list)

6. In the New Value box, select active

7. Click Do it! tab. Click Add to log to save a copy of the change and click Go Back tab
8. Exit from software
9. Test the facility by engaging and disengaging the handbrake (notice how the status of the handbrake modulates the operation of the DRLs)

Jazrod
17-08-2014, 07:25 PM
It's all in the name! Well...it is for me when it comes to the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). And the operative word for this neat little safety feature must surely be the term "Running". So here's my question:- why have the DRLs switched on when the car isn't "Running" (i.e. the car isn't actually moving)? Well it appears that the good Burghers in Germany have also considered this question and they have included a facility in the mk7 that allows the Handbrake to speak to the DRLs. What a clever lot they are in Germany!!

Turn-off DRLs when Handbrake is engaged
The instructions below describe how to implement a VCDS tweak that automatically turns-off the DRLs when the handbrake is engaged and then switches the DRLs back-on again when the Handbrake is disengaged. Grateful acknowledgement to the Stemei.de site for the original material.
Before proceeding, please consider any implications from this tweak on the Australian Design Rules and its application to vehicles fitted with DRLs.

1. Select 09 - Cent Elect. module control

2. Select Security Access-16

3. Enter the magic access code. Click Do it! tab

4. Select Adaptation - 10.
5. From the pull-down channel, select (5)-Daytime running lights- Tagfshrlicht-Tagfahrlicht Dauerfahrlicht bei Handbremse abschalten (it's about 10% down the channel list)

6. In the New Value box, select active

7. Click Do it! tab. Click Add to log to save a copy of the change and click Go Back tab
8. Exit from software
9. Test the facility by engaging and disengaging the handbrake (notice how the status of the handbrake modulates the operation of the DRLs)

My sister's Mazda 3 SP25 does this ... was so confused when she was sitting in the driveway and they weren't on! Lol. I like the feature, though.

Andy2176
18-08-2014, 12:40 PM
I had a quick search but couldn't find it here. Has anyone looked into optioning the blind spot monitoring? I think it may be called "side assist" or "side view" surly the highline has all items required to make it work, I would imagine the little led on the side mirrors could be used as the warning indicator.

DV52
18-08-2014, 01:30 PM
I had a quick search but couldn't find it here. Has anyone looked into optioning the blind spot monitoring? I think it may be called "side assist" or "side view" surly the highline has all items required to make it work, I would imagine the little led on the side mirrors could be used as the warning indicator.

Andy: not sure that I have understood your question, but the mk7 Golf does have an option called "lane assist" . The advertising material from VW talks about lane-assist in terms of BSM. Is this what you are after? If so, the option requires that a forward view camera is installed (it's part of the rear-view mirror assembly, camera sits under the mirror-looking forward). This is not standard equipment in a Highline.

slashj
28-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Hi all,
A while back I posted a problem trying to upgrade my normal MK7 Multifunction steering wheel to one that has tiptronic paddles. it's for a Golf 90TSI DSG comfort line.
I've tried Ross tech but they haven't been very helpful. I am hoping i have better luck here.

Summary:
I recently purchased a new VW OEM MFSW that has tiptronic paddles to replace my standard MSFW.
My mechanic installed the new MFSW and it seemed to work ok - i can shift gears with the MFSW paddles, and the other buttons seem to work ok.

However, there are 3 errors
1) EPC light on
2) Auto Stop/Start malfunction
3) Cruise control malfunction

Below are the scan results, any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Thursday,17,July,2014,16:26:57:23272
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: 12.12.2.0
Data version: 20140212

Dealer/Shop Name: Beyond Limit Autos

VIN: License Plate:

Chassis Type: AU (5Q0)
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 10 15 16 17 19 42 44 52 5F

VIN:

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: OK 0000

Address 01: Engine (J623-CXSA) Labels: 04E-907-309-V1.clb
Part No SW: 04E 906 016 DF HW: 04E 907 309 A
Component: 1.4l R4 TSI H08 5673
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016DF 002002
ROD: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016DF_VW37.rod
VCID: 69D2115F88230A562C9-803C

1 Fault Found:
17149 - Check Coding of ECUs on Powertrain Data Bus
P1647 00 [175] - -
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 14
Mileage: 2130 km
Date: 2014.07.14
Time: 12:16:54

Readiness: 0000 0001

Address 02: Auto Trans (J743) Labels: 0CW-927-769.clb
Part No SW: 0CW 300 046 A HW: 0AM 927 769 K
Component: GSG DQ200-MQB H43 5113
Revision: 00043014 Serial number: CU501311195247
Coding: 0014
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMDQ200021 001001
ROD: EV_TCMDQ200021_AU37.rod
VCID: 3874841B830963DE637-806D

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255) Labels: 5G0-907-044.clb
Part No SW: 5G0 907 044 T HW: 5G0 907 044 T
Component: Climatronic H02 0805
Revision: 00001K06
Coding: 00120004200100001005000012101800
ASAM Dataset: EV_ACClimaBHBVW37X 003018
ROD: EV_ACClimaBHBVW37X_SE37.rod

Fresh Air Blower Front:

Refrigerant Pressure And Temperature Sender:

Air quality sensor:

1 Fault Found:
590081 - Control Circuit for A/C Compressor
B10A9 11 [008] - Short to Ground
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 220
Mileage: 2024 km
Date: 2014.07.11
Time: 15:27:49

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5Q0 937 084 AB HW: 5Q0 937 084 AB
Component: BCM MQBAB B H16 0124
Serial number: 00011334600061
Coding: 03001842C24102F34BE4400000040308100000000000000000 0000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_BCMCONTI 012001
ROD: EV_BCMBOSCH_SE37.rod
VCID: 78F4441BC389A3DEA37-802D

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5G2 955 119 A HW: 5G2 955 119 A
Component: WWS 131207 042 0551
Serial number: 131210032723
Coding: 0E4DDD

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5Q0 955 547 HW: 5Q0 955 547 Labels: 5Q0-955-547.CLB
Component: RLFS 024 0042
Serial number: Y13M12D17H11M42S21S9
Coding: 00A8DD

1 Fault Found:
395273 - Control Circuit for Signal Horn
B1344 14 [008] - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Reset counter: 229
Mileage: 2129 km
Time: 11:52:59

Address 10: Park/Steer Assist (J791) Labels: 5Q0-919-294.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 919 294 F HW: 5Q0 919 294 A
Component: PARKHILFE 8K H03 0142
Revision: -------- Serial number: 39331335202967
Coding: 0031151011
ASAM Dataset: EV_EPHVA18AU3700000 002024
ROD: EV_EPHVA18AU3700000_VW37.rod
VCID: 3E789203A12D5DEEA9B-806B

No fault code found.

Address 16: Steering wheel (J524) Labels: 5Q0-953-549.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 953 521 P HW: 5Q0 953 569 A
Component: Lenks.Modul 075 0135
Revision: FF027027 Serial number: 20131207500154
Coding: 0410
ASAM Dataset: EV_SMLSVALEOMQB 001015
ROD: N/A
VCID: 3F86EF07A62754E6A2D-806A

No ASAM data for: "EV_SMLSVALEOMQB" (VW37)
No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels: 5G0-920-XXX-17.clb
Part No SW: 5G0 920 861 HW: 5G0 920 861
Component: KOMBI 252 2210
Coding: 27A419082380000800082A00040000
ASAM Dataset: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB 008031
ROD: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB_AU37.rod
VCID: E6C89A63193DA52E81B-80B3

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 530 P HW: 5Q0 907 530 E
Component: GW MQB Mid 124 1164
Revision: -------- Serial number: 0001355699
Coding: 030100342B085700EF0002481C0F0001000100000000000000 0000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewLear 010015
ROD: EV_GatewLear_AU37.rod

Alternator:

Multifunction unit control module:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5G0 959 442 K HW: 5G0 959 442 K
Component: E221__MFL-DC1 H14 0035
Serial number: 27130001231250063315
Coding: 2DFFFF

Battery Monitoring Control Module:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 5Q0 915 181 E HW: 5Q0 915 181 E
Component: J367-BDMHella H03 8043
Serial number: 2415092103

No fault code found.

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver (J386) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 393 B HW: 5Q0 959 393 B
Component: TSG FS 020 0025
Serial number: 03121302090098
Coding: 003003208001040000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCUDriveSideEWMINKLO 006003
ROD: EV_DCUDriveSideEWMAXKLO.rod

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5Q0 959 812 A HW: 5Q0 959 812 A
Component: FOND_FHSG_DRV 005 0005
Serial number: 00000000000001343624
Coding: 1D0000

No fault code found.

Address 44: Steering Assist (J500) Labels: 5Q0-909-144.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 909 144 P HW: 5Q0 909 144 P
Component: EPS_MQB_ZFLS 122 1043
Coding: 0103
ASAM Dataset: EV_SteerAssisMQB 010031
ROD: EV_SteerAssisMQB.rod
VCID: 4182E9FFD0D32216D49-8014

No fault code found.

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5G0 035 824 A HW: 5G0 035 824 A
Component: MU-S--ER 040 0421
Serial number: V1E01412131694
Coding: 02730000FF00000011510001000900001F0100960100010001
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd4CPASE 002039
ROD: EV_MUStd4CPASE_SE37.rod
VCID: 234E43772A8F1006A65-8076

Media Player Position 1:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5G0 919 605 HW: 5G0 919 605
Component: ABT_Std_Radio H51 0022
Serial number: VWZ8Z9NJ702UNM

No fault code found.

End ---------------------------------------------------------------------

turtle
07-09-2014, 07:59 AM
I posted this in the ECU section but didn't get any help, hopefully I can here;
I'm looking for someone in the Newcastle/Sydney area with a VCDS cable. I have a GTI PP and want to activate the Traffic alert system.
Any help appreciated. Happy to compensate people for their time.

n0d3
09-09-2014, 09:45 PM
I posted this in the ECU section but didn't get any help, hopefully I can here;
I'm looking for someone in the Newcastle/Sydney area with a VCDS cable. I have a GTI PP and want to activate the Traffic alert system.
Any help appreciated. Happy to compensate people for their time.

When did you get yours? Surprised it isn't on by default! Mine works (first batch of cars in VIC).

turtle
10-09-2014, 08:01 PM
When did you get yours? Surprised it isn't on by default! Mine works (first batch of cars in VIC).
Well to be honest, it might actually be activated and I just don't know. I don't live in a capital city (Newcastle) and I believe that traffic alerts only work in capital cities, so I've never had a chance to try it, I'm just assuming it doens't going off what other people on here have said and what the dealer told me.
It has been deactivated in the setting menu, however its easy to go in and tick the boxes (enable RDS, enable Traffic Alerts).

DV52
10-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Well to be honest, it might actually be activated and I just don't know. I don't live in a capital city (Newcastle) and I believe that traffic alerts only work in capital cities, so I've never had a chance to try it, I'm just assuming it doens't going off what other people on here have said and what the dealer told me.
It has been deactivated in the setting menu, however its easy to go in and tick the boxes (enable RDS, enable Traffic Alerts).

turtle: are you really sure that you don't have TMC activated? What year was your car built? Have you tried enabling "TP" and "RDS" on the radio menu and then waiting a little while to see if the list appears when you press the "TRAFFIC" button (you should also get triangles on the navigation screen)? And yes, you have to be in one of the Australian Capital cities for it to work.

turtle
11-09-2014, 05:37 PM
turtle: are you really sure that you don't have TMC activated? What year was your car built? Have you tried enabling "TP" and "RDS" on the radio menu and then waiting a little while to see if the list appears when you press the "TRAFFIC" button (you should also get triangles on the navigation screen)? And yes, you have to be in one of the Australian Capital cities for it to work.
DV52,
Because I don't live in a capital city, and haven't driven in one with the car yet, maybe it does work and I just don't know it yet. I know how to enable 'TP' and 'RDS'. I'll try it next time I travel to Sydney. My car is a MY14
Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate the help

flight
11-09-2014, 05:49 PM
.....And yes, you have to be in one of the Australian Capital cities for it to work.

....or The Gold Coast — Australia's 6th biggest city.

AALocksmiths
11-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Hi all,
A while back I posted a problem trying to upgrade my normal MK7 Multifunction steering wheel to one that has tiptronic paddles. it's for a Golf 90TSI DSG comfort line.
I've tried Ross tech but they haven't been very helpful. I am hoping i have better luck here.

Summary:
I recently purchased a new VW OEM MFSW that has tiptronic paddles to replace my standard MSFW.
My mechanic installed the new MFSW and it seemed to work ok - i can shift gears with the MFSW paddles, and the other buttons seem to work ok.

However, there are 3 errors
1) EPC light on
2) Auto Stop/Start malfunction
3) Cruise control malfunction

Below are the scan results, any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Thursday,17,July,2014,16:26:57:23272
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: 12.12.2.0
Data version: 20140212

Dealer/Shop Name: Beyond Limit Autos

VIN: License Plate:

Chassis Type: AU (5Q0)
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 10 15 16 17 19 42 44 52 5F

VIN:

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: OK 0000

Address 01: Engine (J623-CXSA) Labels: 04E-907-309-V1.clb
Part No SW: 04E 906 016 DF HW: 04E 907 309 A
Component: 1.4l R4 TSI H08 5673
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016DF 002002
ROD: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016DF_VW37.rod
VCID: 69D2115F88230A562C9-803C

1 Fault Found:
17149 - Check Coding of ECUs on Powertrain Data Bus
P1647 00 [175] - -
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 14
Mileage: 2130 km
Time: 12:16:54

Readiness: 0000 0001

Address 02: Auto Trans (J743) Labels: 0CW-927-769.clb
Part No SW: 0CW 300 046 A HW: 0AM 927 769 K
Component: GSG DQ200-MQB H43 5113
Revision: 00043014 Serial number: CU501311195247
Coding: 0014
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMDQ200021 001001
ROD: EV_TCMDQ200021_AU37.rod

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255) Labels: 5G0-907-044.clb
Part No SW: 5G0 907 044 T HW: 5G0 907 044 T
Component: Climatronic H02 0805
Revision: 00001K06
Coding: 00120004200100001005000012101800
ASAM Dataset: EV_ACClimaBHBVW37X 003018
ROD: EV_ACClimaBHBVW37X_SE37.rod

Fresh Air Blower Front:

Refrigerant Pressure And Temperature Sender:

Air quality sensor:

1 Fault Found:
590081 - Control Circuit for A/C Compressor
B10A9 11 [008] - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Reset counter: 220
Mileage: 2024 km
Date: 2014.07.11
Time: 15:27:49

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5Q0 937 084 AB HW: 5Q0 937 084 AB
Component: BCM MQBAB B H16 0124
Serial number: 00011334600061
Coding: 03001842C24102F34BE4400000040308100000000000000000 0000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_BCMCONTI 012001
ROD: EV_BCMBOSCH_SE37.rod
VCID: 78F4441BC389A3DEA37-802D

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5G2 955 119 A HW: 5G2 955 119 A
Component: WWS 131207 042 0551
Serial number: 131210032723
Coding: 0E4DDD

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5Q0 955 547 HW: 5Q0 955 547 Labels: 5Q0-955-547.CLB
Component: RLFS 024 0042
Serial number: Y13M12D17H11M42S21S9
Coding: 00A8DD

1 Fault Found:
395273 - Control Circuit for Signal Horn
B1344 14 [008] - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Reset counter: 229
Mileage: 2129 km
Time: 11:52:59

Address 10: Park/Steer Assist (J791) Labels: 5Q0-919-294.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 919 294 F HW: 5Q0 919 294 A
Component: PARKHILFE 8K H03 0142
Revision: -------- Serial number: 39331335202967
Coding: 0031151011
ASAM Dataset: EV_EPHVA18AU3700000 002024
ROD: EV_EPHVA18AU3700000_VW37.rod

No fault code found.

Address 16: Steering wheel (J524) Labels: 5Q0-953-549.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 953 521 P HW: 5Q0 953 569 A
Component: Lenks.Modul 075 0135
Revision: FF027027 Serial number: 20131207500154
Coding: 0410
ASAM Dataset: EV_SMLSVALEOMQB 001015
ROD: N/A
VCID: 3F86EF07A62754E6A2D-806A

No ASAM data for: "EV_SMLSVALEOMQB" (VW37)
No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels: 5G0-920-XXX-17.clb
Part No SW: 5G0 920 861 HW: 5G0 920 861
Component: KOMBI 252 2210
Coding: 27A419082380000800082A00040000
ASAM Dataset: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB 008031
ROD: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB_AU37.rod
VCID: E6C89A63193DA52E81B-80B3

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 530 P HW: 5Q0 907 530 E
Component: GW MQB Mid 124 1164
Revision: -------- Serial number: 0001355699
Coding: 030100342B085700EF0002481C0F0001000100000000000000 0000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewLear 010015
ROD: EV_GatewLear_AU37.rod

Alternator:

Multifunction unit control module:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5G0 959 442 K HW: 5G0 959 442 K
Component: E221__MFL-DC1 H14 0035
Serial number: 27130001231250063315
Coding: 2DFFFF

Battery Monitoring Control Module:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 5Q0 915 181 E HW: 5Q0 915 181 E
Component: J367-BDMHella H03 8043
Serial number: 2415092103

No fault code found.

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver (J386) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 393 B HW: 5Q0 959 393 B
Component: TSG FS 020 0025
Serial number: 03121302090098
Coding: 003003208001040000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCUDriveSideEWMINKLO 006003
ROD: EV_DCUDriveSideEWMAXKLO.rod

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5Q0 959 812 A HW: 5Q0 959 812 A
Component: FOND_FHSG_DRV 005 0005
Serial number: 00000000000001343624
Coding: 1D0000

No fault code found.

Address 44: Steering Assist (J500) Labels: 5Q0-909-144.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 909 144 P HW: 5Q0 909 144 P
Component: EPS_MQB_ZFLS 122 1043
Coding: 0103
ASAM Dataset: EV_SteerAssisMQB 010031
ROD: EV_SteerAssisMQB.rod
VCID: 4182E9FFD0D32216D49-8014

No fault code found.

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5G0 035 824 A HW: 5G0 035 824 A
Component: MU-S--ER 040 0421
Serial number: V1E01412131694
Coding: 02730000FF00000011510001000900001F0100960100010001
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd4CPASE 002039
ROD: EV_MUStd4CPASE_SE37.rod
VCID: 234E43772A8F1006A65-8076

Media Player Position 1:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5G0 919 605 HW: 5G0 919 605
Component: ABT_Std_Radio H51 0022
Serial number: VWZ8Z9NJ702UNM

No fault code found.

End ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just having a quick look from my phone but it looks like the kilometers that the fault happened are logged with the fault. What km was the car at when you got the new part fitted?
Have you tried clearing and see if they come back?

DV52
11-09-2014, 08:26 PM
....or The Gold Coast — Australia's 6th biggest city.
Flight: point well made! I keep forgetting about Gold Coast - not sure why.

lambertia
12-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know if there's a coding to allow the windows and roof to continue closing after the key is removed and a door is opened? It's a drag to have to wait till everything is closed before leaving.

Eaglehawk
12-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Wouldn't just holding the lock button achieve the same result?

AALocksmiths
12-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Does anyone know if there's a coding to allow the windows and roof to continue closing after the key is removed and a door is opened? It's a drag to have to wait till everything is closed before leaving.

Not sure, but if it's activated you should be able to do it with the remote by holding the LOCK button and the reverse will happen with holding the unlock ( windows open up) If you don't have the remote the same will happen by holding the key in the door lock in either the LOCK or UNLOCK.

lambertia
13-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Yes the remote things work but they are slow. I want to start it in the car then walk away. My astra did this. O

Of course I could try to remember to close them 30 seconds before I stop :-)

AdamD
14-09-2014, 12:13 PM

The window and roof should continue to operate once the key is removed for up to (IIRC) 30 seconds, until you open the driver's door. That's how it functions in the Mk6. If you forget to close your windows and roof once you've opened the door, it'll take all of 10 seconds to hold down the lock button on the remote and have all windows and the roof close. Easy!

DV52
14-09-2014, 03:34 PM
EDIT NOTE: since I first wrote the instructions below- the forum community has learned much about this tweak. From this experience, it now seems that the success, or otherwise of the Auto Rain close facility is dependent on having the correct rain-sensor installed on the front windshield. Again from experience, it appears that the car MUST have a rain sensor with the part number 5Q0 955 547 WITHOUT ANY SUFFIX to be more likely to succeed. VCDS will report the correct sensor as RLFS, not RLHS. (thanks hadez16 & darkchina811 from RT forum)

Background
It's fair to say that the Auto RainClose tweak has had a dubious infancy when applied to MQB platform vehicles like the mk7 Golf. My understanding from conversations on various forums is that problems were first encountered with this tweak because of the new sensor that was installed in these cars.

In previous models, VW used a "RLS" (i.e. Rain Light Sensor) to control Auto RainClose. However, in many of the mk7 models, the sensor that was introduced was the "RLFS" (Rain Light Humidity Sensor, or in German, Regen, Licht, Feuchte Sensor). Some VCDS auto-scan listings now report this new sensor as its Anglicized name, "RLHS" and of late, the RLS seems to have re-appeared in some mk7 scan reports (particularly in NAR cars).

As a result of early problems with the Auto RainClose tweak, the folk at Ross Tech (i.e. the inestimable Dana) modified the VCDS software so that it would communicate correctly with these new sensor units. The first SW version in which these changes appeared was Beta ver. 14.6.1. At the time of writing, Ross Tech has advised that their Beta software (i.e. currently Beta 14.8.1) is still the only version with the necessary smarts to talk to the sensors on mk7 vehicles. Doubtless, in the fullness of time (to quote Sir Humphrey Appleby), RT's non-beta software will be modified to accommodate these new sensors.

Edit - Nov 2014: Ross-Tech's full version software (SW version commencing with the number "14", or greater) is now able to fully communicate with the rain sensors in mk7 vehicles.

The material in these instructions have been sourced from numerous forums and a skeletal version of these procedures can be found on the Stemie.de site.

Particular acknowledgement is given to the findings of the folk on the VCDS thread on VWvortex. In addition, recognition must also be given to those talented and amazing VCDS gurus on the Ross Tech forum for unravelling the early problems with the RLFS. Thanks to you all for your valuable contributions.

A word of caution for those that wish to proceed. This is one of the more complex tweaks and as a result, particular care and precision in following these instructions is required. Feedback from others indicates that a few have not been able to make this tweak work albeit I have received lots of reports of its successful implementation. If you fall into the latter category-congratulations. For those in the former category, please revert all settings to their original values (and re-check the entries for "opening and closing" in the Discover media screen which may have altered because of the factory reset process-see part 3 of these instructions). And, if you have implemented this tweak and you want to revert back to the car's original settings, make sure that you use RT's Beta software for the roll-back process.

If others can add to the information in these tweak instructions, please do so. If you want to PM, I'll undertake to modify this post with any updates - or you can add your own separate post to this thread.
For ease of understanding, these instructions have been broken-up into three discrete parts as follows (it is recommended that the instructions should be followed in the sequence listed):
This Post
Part 1: Auto RainClose - Coding Changes
Post #230
Part 2: Auto RainClose - Adaptation Channel Changes

Part 3: Auto RainClose - In-Car, setup procedures
All parts must be completed

Ross-Tech software version commencing with a number "14", or greater must be used for this tweak

Part 1: Auto RainClose - Coding Changes
1. From the Installed tab on the Select Control Module screen, select 09-Cent. Elect.
2. On the Open Controller screen for address 09 - Cent. Elect., click the Coding - 07 tab
3. When the screen below opens, click on the pull-down down tab in the middle of the screen (as shown next to the red arrow). As indicated in the picture, the BCM (Body Control Module) has two "slave" modules, one of which is the RLFS
4, Select RLFS and click on the Long Coding Helper tab.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/oeLX4Nppng-1.jpg

Note 1: on some mk7 vehicles, the slave module will be RLS, or RLHS

5. Select Byte 0 and place a tick in Bit 1 and Bit 2 as shown in the picture below. Exit this screen
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/mmC3m1Ypng-1.jpg
6. When the screen below appears, ensure that the New coding box contains the Hexadecimal value 06A8DD Click the Do it! tab. Go back to the open controller screen
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/KEjMKpqpng-1.jpg

Note 2: some forums report "error 31" message at this point. If this error message appears, manually enter 06A8DD into the New coding box instead of using the Long Coding Helper. Then click the Do it! tab

Note 3: On some mk7 vehicles, the default coding string for the rain sensor is 01E8DD. If this is the case, the required hexadecimal value in the new coding box is 07E8DD.

Go to Part 2(next post)

DV52
14-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Part 2: Auto RainClose - Adaptation Channel Changes
7. Once the Open Controller screen appears for address 09, click Security Access -16 tab
8. When the Security Access window opens, enter the magic number for the Body Control Module as per the dialogue balloon (i.e. 31347). Click the Do it! tab
9. When the Open Controller screen re-appears, click Adaptation - 10

10 . From the pull-down channel menu, select (15)-Access control 2-Regenschliessen_ein_aus. and select active in New value box. Click Do it! tab
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/KDvmEpvpng-1.jpg

11. Select (16)-Access control 2-Regenschliessen_art and select Permanent in New value box. Click Do it! tab
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/WPY3tVUpng-1.jpg

12. Select (28 )-Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Regenschliessen and select active in New value box. Click Do it! tab.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/pmC8Azfpng-1.jpg

Note 4: this adaptation channel change adds "Automatic closing in rain" as an option-panel in the Discover Media menu screen (see Part 3)

13. Exit the VCDS software and remove VCDS cable from the OBDII port

Go to Part 3

Part 3: Auto RainClose - In-Car, setup procedures
Auto RainClose - Factory reset procedure
This tweak requires that the control unit be reset after the coding changes above have been made. This is done using the following steps:

Press the CAR button on the RH side of the Discover media Unit
Press the set-up panel on the bottom RH side of the screen
Select Factory Setting panel (it's the very last entry on the list)
On the Factory Setting screen, select Reset Mirror and Wiper Settings
Press the Reset panel

Auto RainClose -Menu enabling procedure
For Auto RainClose to work, the function must first be enabled in the Discover media screen. This is done using the following steps:

Press the CAR button on the RH side of the Discover media Unit
Press the set-up panel on the bottom RH side of the screen
Press the Opening and Closing panel
Place a tick in the Automatic closing in rain panel as shown in the picture below.
Make sure that the settings for all other options (especially in Opening and closing) are appropriate and that they have not been changed by the factory reset process above (e.g. check that Convenience opening option isn't set to "off")
Exit the screen

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/VgyxQ74png1-1.jpg

source - 3askoul/www.Golfmk7.com

Auto RainClose - Test and operating procedure

Make sure that the wiper stalk is in the rain sensing position (i.e. up one position) and that the headlights are switched to the Auto position
Wind down one, or more windows, and/or sunroof
exit and lock the vehicle using the remote fob or KESSY
Wait a minute, or two and pour water on the rain sensor, or tap the rain sensor with your fingers.
The open window(s)/sunroof should close

Note 5: a further feature of this tweak is that if the window(s)/sunroof is left open for an extended time (generally overnight) without rain, or intervention, the open aperture(s) will be automatically shut.

Feed-back from forum members:

Hi. I finally got the rain closing working over the weekend. I noticed that once I reset the closing settings I lost window up/down functionality on the remote. I had to manually wind each window up and down, restore auto up/down functionality before the remote started working again. Just thought I'd mention that in case you'd like to add it to the FAQ.

one member mentioned he got this tweak working by changing the sequence order, he did 2,3,1.

veew
15-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Just been PM'ing DV52 regarding VCDS cables etc when I rebrowsed through RossTech's site. Found something mighty interesting, not sure if anyone else has already posted up about this yet so here it is!

They have a VCDS Mobile, found it while reading FAQ 1.8: Ross-Tech: FAQ Page 1 (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html)

Ross-Tech: VCDS Mobile Preview (http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/index.html)

Basically plug in the dongle into the car, connect via Wifi with any device (laptop, tablet, phone) and via a web browser you can access VCDS!!

Here it is working on Android: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYUYqIRmszA#t=20

and iOS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDv0TgeN8YU

There is also a test drive function to see specific values in the car whilst the car is driving (best done if you're not driving lol):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CfaLPQggzo#t=34

DV52
15-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Andrew: I reckon that the HEX-NET devices are the way to go!

Just a few niggling issues to consider though. They are more pricey $50 -$150 (USD) more. I guess that this might change over time. Also, the lower priced unit only accomodates 10 VIN. Not sure if this is an issue for you, but it could be a problem in the longer term if mates/forum folk ask for your assistance with their cars. It's not clear to me from the website what happens if you fill-up your quota and you want to use more VINs (I guess that it's just a case of throwing more money at RT). The unlimited unit doesn't have this problem of course, but it's $499 (USD) + delivery. There's been a bit of dialogue on the RT forum from guys that have purchased the HEX-NET. Might be worth a read before you make your decision.

veew
15-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Cheers, will do!

DV52
16-09-2014, 12:36 PM
I've managed to translate the descriptors for Adaptation Channels in 09-Cent Elect. control module (i.e. BCM) from German to English.

Used web-based translators for the task, so I'm not vouching for its absolute accuracy! Nevertheless, most of the channel descriptors now seem to make sense - albeit many of the channel names are still a bit cryptic by virtue of the way that VW described them in the original German!

Anyway, if you are interested in getting a copy, click here (https://docs.zoho.com/file/29rl6a24542c2187645e786fef39a829974b8). Please remember that the list is for a 103TSI highline my13- Australian version

jonoz
17-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the non-genuine options?

Like any of these? High Performance Car ODB Diagnostic Cables on Newfrog.com, Dropshipping (http://www.newfrog.com/c/obd-vag-629.html)

Ryan_R
17-09-2014, 09:16 PM
The price is tempting, but they're not worth it if you want to go and change settings. If you just want to look at fault codes on the cheap get a cheap ELM337 bluetooth ODB2 adapter and the Torque app on your Android device.

jonoz
17-09-2014, 09:23 PM
What about this one?

VCDS 12.12 VAG COM 12.12.0 VAG12.10 HEX CAN USB Interface FT232RL Update VAG 12.10 support car to 2014-in Car Diagnostic Cables & Connectors from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VCDS-12-12-VAG-COM-12-12-0-VAG12-10-HEX-CAN-USB-Interface-FT232RL-Update/2037246730.html)

Idle
17-09-2014, 09:42 PM
What about this one?

VCDS 12.12 VAG COM 12.12.0 VAG12.10 HEX CAN USB Interface FT232RL Update VAG 12.10 support car to 2014-in Car Diagnostic Cables & Connectors from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VCDS-12-12-VAG-COM-12-12-0-VAG12-10-HEX-CAN-USB-Interface-FT232RL-Update/2037246730.html)

Note this line:
1. Can use Original software download from internet,but can not update,only 12.12.0, 11.11.6.

In other words, if you want the latest software, pinch it from RossTech yourself — and good luck if it works.

jonoz
17-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Mainly just want to be able to check things, the dealer has apparently disabled the soundaktor but I am not convinced...

DV52
17-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Mainly just want to be able to check things, the dealer has apparently disabled the soundaktor but I am not convinced...

Jonoz: sounds like you have very specific and simple needs. Why not simply ask if there is a fellow forum member (who owns a cable) up there in Brisbane who is willing to lend a hand? Might cost you a small gratuity but it satisfies your needs!

ps: I've tried one of those Bluetooth connectors -ELM337 type. They are a toy (sorry Ryan_R). It couldn't even recognise a simple passenger door controller fault on my mk7! As for the fake RT cables, buying one of those is simply supporting the fraudulent practices of IP thieves! You don't to do that.

Ryan_R
17-09-2014, 11:11 PM
I agree, but it was a fun toy way back then :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/09/Torque2520Screenshotpng-1.jpg

LiFers
19-09-2014, 01:11 AM
Anyone in Sydney interested in loaning/hiring out the VCDS equipment needed to program a MY15 Golf? It arrives in a few weeks.

Thx.

zloybob
24-09-2014, 03:38 AM
hello, guys
who have MY2015 with CHPB (1.4 150HP) engine?

nut
24-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Hi all.

I tried this mod on my golf 7 r the other day using the beta software and it did not work.

What did happen was that the auto close and open function when you hold the remote buttons have also ceased to work. I have tried both activating and deactivating numerous settings using both the 12.12 and 14.8 rosstech vcds software, all to no avail.

The menu functions are still there for both rain close and comfort close, but the selection of them makes no difference either.

Functions I have turned on and of via vcdd are the global comfort control, the radio comfort control open and closing, the comfort control open and closing as well as the kessy open and closing - see DV52's spreadsheet if you want to know more.

What is even more frustrating is that I currently have a reasonably technically savvy german speaker/reader in the house and he has been of no help either.

If anyone has any ideas on how to reactivate the convenience opening and closing, please let me know. At this stage I do not think the ross tech software is sufficiently mature enough on this car to activate and deactivate all these functions, so I think a visit to the dealership may be in order...

Cheers.

Background
It's fair to say that the Auto RainClose tweak has had a dubious infancy when applied to MQB platform vehicles like the mk7 Golf. My understanding from conversations on various forums is that problems were first encountered with this tweak because of the new sensor that was installed in these cars.

In previous models, VW used a "RLS" (i.e. Rain Light Sensor) to control Auto RainClose. However, in many of the mk7 models, the sensor that was introduced was the "RLFS" (Rain Light Humidity Sensor, or in German, Regen, Licht, Feuchte Sensor). Some VCDS auto-scan listings now report this new sensor as its Anglicized name, "RLHS" and of late, the RLS seems to have re-appeared in some mk7 scan reports (particularly in NAR cars).

As a result of early problems with the Auto RainClose tweak, the folk at Ross Tech (i.e. the inestimable Dana) modified the VCDS software so that it would communicate correctly with these new sensor units. The first SW version in which these changes appeared was Beta ver. 14.6.1. At the time of writing, Ross Tech has advised that their Beta software (i.e. currently Beta 14.8.1) is still the only version with the necessary smarts to talk to the sensors on mk7 vehicles. Doubtless, in the fullness of time (to quote Sir Humphrey Appleby), RT's non-beta software will be modified to accommodate these new sensors.

The material in these instructions have been sourced from numerous forums and web sites. Particular acknowledgement is given to the findings of the folk on the VCDS thread on VWvortex. In addition, recognition must also be given to those talented and amazing VCDS gurus on the Ross Tech forum for unravelling the early problems with the RLFS. Thanks to you all for your valuable contributions.

If others can add to the information in these tweak instructions, please do so. If you want to PM, I'll undertake to modify this post with any updates - or you can add your own separate post to this thread.

DV52
24-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Hi all.

I tried this mod on my golf 7 r the other day using the beta software and it did not work.

What did happen was that the auto close and open function when you hold the remote buttons have also ceased to work. I have tried both activating and deactivating numerous settings using both the 12.12 and 14.8 rosstech vcds software, all to no avail.

The menu functions are still there for both rain close and comfort close, but the selection of them makes no difference either.

Functions I have turned on and of via vcdd are the global comfort control, the radio comfort control open and closing, the comfort control open and closing as well as the kessy open and closing - see DV52's spreadsheet if you want to know more.

What is even more frustrating is that I currently have a reasonably technically savvy german speaker/reader in the house and he has been of no help either.

If anyone has any ideas on how to reactivate the convenience opening and closing, please let me know. At this stage I do not think the ross tech software is sufficiently mature enough on this car to activate and deactivate all these functions, so I think a visit to the dealership may be in order...

Cheers.

Nut: Thanks for the feedback and I'm sorry to hear that you could not make the tweak work. Most of the folk that I know that have successfully implemented this tweak have NAR vehicles. There have also been reports of successful implementation on the Ross Tech forum. But I have to acknowledge that this is certainly one of the more complicated tweaks that I have seen.

I assume that you have rolled-back the three adaptation channel settings and you have re-set the Coding changes on the RLFS back to its original hex value (i.e. 00A8DD).

Your convenience opening problem is the first time that I have heard of this issue with this tweak. None of the folk that can't make the tweak work have reported this symptom. All these people have simply rolled-back the settings with no problems to any other function (as far as I know).

You mentioned the following:-
"Functions I have turned on and of via vcdd are the global comfort control, the radio comfort control open and closing, the comfort control open and closing as well as the kessy open and closing"

These don't appear to be the three adaptation channels in my instructions. I assume that you tried these changes in an attempt to enable convenience opening/closing albeit, I'm not sure that they will be of use to you. But I do agree that the wording that VW uses to describe the adaptation channels in the BMC is pretty vague.

May I suggest that you look at the settings in your Discover media screen. When you reset the "opening and closing" function to factory settings (part 3 of my instructions), the convenience opening option may have defaulted to "off". Please check the setting in the Discover media screen and make sure that it is enabled (ie. press CAR button, then press set-up panel, then press Opening and Closing, then make sure that the convenience opening panel isn't set to "off")

Please don't take this the wrong way, but failing my suggestion above, have you checked the CodingLog.txt file in the directory Ross-Tech\VCDS-Beta\Debug on your laptop to see if the original changes and the subsequent rollback changes were correctly performed? Not sure if you are aware, but this text file keeps a complete record of the changes that you make when using the Beta software (there is a similar file for the non-beta version SW).

If you want, I'm happy to look at this file for you if you post it somewhere (or PM). It may reveal a possible problem. Again, I'm not suggesting that there has been an error- but a review of this data could be useful if only to confirm that all the original changes and the subsequent changes to roll-back the settings (and the attempts to alter and then reset the adaptation channels for convenience opening/closing) were correctly made.

nut
24-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks DV52. I actually had a lot of the tweaks enable and then disabled the rain ones before re-enabling them again through the VCDS beta as I had noted the rain close in the coding section of the 12.12 version but had not been able to change it until your post suggested the 14.8 beta which did allow it. I followed you guidelines pretty closely and reset the functions to factory before re-enabling them also through the Discover media screen. Somewhere in all this, the ability for convenience opening has disappeared. That was when I reverted back to using the 12.12 VCDS version and started looking at other possible problems. I will look at the logs and see if I can find if I've done something I shouldn't have also.

Another interesting thing is that the VCDS cable required a firmware update and I don't know if this this has messed around with the coding. Anyway, I've sent you a pm also.

Hopefully I can get this to work again without going to VW....

Cheers

DV52
24-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Nut: I didn't ask in my previous reply, but I assume that you have done a subsequent auto-scan and that no errors were reported. Please confirm

Also, just to be 100% clear. The convenience closing panel in the Discover media screen does now say something other than "off" - Yes?

nut
25-09-2014, 12:58 AM
Just did another autoscan to check that i haven't missed anything - no errors reported.

I'm sure all the Discover media screen said something other than off when I was testing earlier - I think it was "all windows". I even removed and then reinstalled that menu at some stage in my quest, however when I went down just now it was off. I can assure you that was not the case previously, and will check to see if it is on something else in the morning again...

I also just got a low battery message (I must have been playing around too much, so the car is on charge now. I wonder if a lower battery charge may have something to do with the inability to convenience open and close??

Cheers.

Nut: I didn't ask in my previous reply, but I assume that you have done a subsequent auto-scan and that no errors were reported. Please confirm

Also, just to be 100% clear. The convenience closing panel in the Discover media screen does now say something other than "off" - Yes?

aqxavier
25-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Hi,

I'm using VCDS 14.8.1 and I see that there is still the label file for the 5F unit: 5G0 035 045.
Where can I download this file label or when it will be available for VCDS?

Regards,
Alexandre

DV52
25-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Just did another autoscan to check that i haven't missed anything - no errors reported.

I'm sure all the Discover media screen said something other than off when I was testing earlier - I think it was "all windows". I even removed and then reinstalled that menu at some stage in my quest, however when I went down just now it was off. I can assure you that was not the case previously, and will check to see if it is on something else in the morning again...

I also just got a low battery message (I must have been playing around too much, so the car is on charge now. I wonder if a lower battery charge may have something to do with the inability to convenience open and close??

Cheers.

Nut: I just looked at your Change-Log file: The data indicates that some odd changes have occurred that haven't been restored to their original values!! You might want to start your investigation by looking at these first off.
I'll email back a "sanitised" version of your change log that hopefully will be more user-friendly, together with a few suggestions