PDA

View Full Version : Mk7 Golf - Australian Specifications and Prices (Base, Comfortline and Highline)

Pages : [1] 2 3

beachie1
15-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Official Golf 7 Launched in Australia - VWWatercooled.com.au (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/2013/04/the-new-golf-launches-in-australia/)

Big surprise,base motor is 90Tsi for Base Golf(no Trendline)and Comfortline also has 90 Tsi.
103 TSI for Highline model ,also TDI in Highline range.
Base Golf has steelies,15 in.,16 Mags for Comfortline.
Comfortline has rev. camera,sensors,auto dim,auto lights,wipers,cloth.
Alcantra in Highlines .
5.8 screen std. in range opt up in Highlines.
Approx driveaway all with DSG $28000,$31000 and $36,000,diesels extra.

Let the fun begin.

Beachie1

yauipop
16-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the great info! 90TSI for the Comfortline might be a bit underpowered...

The_Hawk
16-04-2013, 10:03 AM
It would be interesting to see the sales breakup of the Mk6 Golf range as I wonder if poor sales of the 77TSI and 118TSI are the cause. Sort of sad there isn't a more powerful option, but then I suppose that's the GTI.

One thing I find a little strange across all makes and models is the existence of hub caps, surely steel wheels vs alloys don't make a significant impact on price. Sure I understand they can be used as an upsell to the "better" model... but I really hate hub caps.

Dutch77
16-04-2013, 10:11 AM
The 90TSI on mk7 is quoted (overseas) as 8.4s for the run to 100, which for that sort of car is pretty reasonable I think. I'd suspect the bulk of the advertising will be geared to the Euro style/interior and no doubt outstanding fuel economy. Those that want more will have no problem stepping up to GTI.

Ideo
16-04-2013, 11:59 AM
New GTD is looking the goods based on the UK car config.

rustyinsthoz
16-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Interesting that the 103 Tsi engine is on the highline model only. After the initial rush for the new model I see this car being a tough sell for VW with this model Mix. Although I suspect the 103 engine will be dropped into the lower grade models at a later date. Certainly for me, if the 103 engine isn't in a sub $30000 package, then I will be buying elsewhere.

The_Hawk
16-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I suppose *peak* power isn't everything, it's how it's delivered and how much torque it can put down, especially off idle and when wanting to overtake at speed.

Will be interesting to see what comes out and more importantly how it drives.

Ryan_R
16-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Yes the power is down but so is the weight. The Mk6 90TSI still feels fairly quick when you're in it, just not as immediate (turbo lag) or dramatic as the 118 (that said I find I don't rev into the turbo range much in the 118 so in that respect you could almost say the 90 would be more fun).

Then of course we're always told that Australians buy more GTIs than other countries which may have had a role as well. Booked in for a service in early May so I plan to test drive one then.

soogs
16-04-2013, 02:49 PM
$36K seems to be steep increase in price considering drop in power. Would have though it would only be marginal increase in price from out-going 118.

DoggieHowser
16-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Isn't the 90TSI with the dumbed down rear suspension?

Ps I read about dealers getting preorders for the A45 AMG. Do VW accept preorders for something like the GTI which is already selling in Europe?

Dutch77
16-04-2013, 02:58 PM
$36k isn't much different as a driveaway price (before discounts) to the outgoing equivalent 118tsi Comfortline which lists at $32k + ORC. I'm pretty sure there would be a few more standard options, while the drop in power is not really reflected in a drop in performance.

I haven't heard of any dealers accepting orders for a GTI, but I'm pretty sure most would be happy to take a holding deposit. :)

pologti18t
16-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Looks like we match the S, SE and GT specs of the UK.
If that's the case then the 103TSI (with cylinder cutoff) engine is only available in the top spec GT (Highline).

VW Aust have the opportunity to slot in the 1.2TSI (77, 66) into the base model at a later date.

From all accounts the beam axle rear suspension (any car < 100kw) makes little difference to how the car drives. And certainly wont be noticed by 99% of drivers.

beachie1
16-04-2013, 03:40 PM
For base Golf,dealer showed me pic .showing full wheel covers,in lookalike mag design.
Driveaway price for base looks ok against published price for 77Tsi of $27490,also will be better equipped.
Sunset R
Sorry to drip feed info but not allowed to see much more than a quick riffle of printed info and quick look at computer screen.
Sunset Red was one of the colours shown.

Beachie 1

beachie1
16-04-2013, 04:29 PM
European models with LESS than 90kw get the torsion beam rear end,so hopefully we get the Irs on the MK7 Base Golf and above.:confused:
Beachie1

AdamD
17-04-2013, 09:33 AM
I've received some information further to what's been covered above:

Fatigue detection, multi-collision brake, BlueMotion start/stop are standard on all models.
Base model has no options other than paint colour. Gets cruise control, bluetooth, USB audio, XDL, tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS).
Comfortline also gets dual-zone climate control, 16" alloys, front and rear parking sensors, RVC, automatic dipping passenger mirror on reverse, storage drawers under the front seats, etc.
Highline gets front foglights, 17" alloys, Discover 5.8" Satnav, LED interior lighting, floor mats.
Highline options include Vienna leather, bi-xenon headlights, panoramic glass sunroof.
Driver Assistance Package option (available for both Comfortline and Highline) includes Adaptive (radar) Cruise Control (ACC), Front Assist with City Emergency Brake, Park Assist 2, and Driving Profile Selection (allows for individual adjustment of steering and throttle response, DSG mode, etc).
Colours available include Pure White, Tungsten Silver Metallic, Sunset Red Metallic, Pacific Blue Metallic, Night Blue Metallic, Limestone Grey Metallic and Deep Black Pearl Effect.

Golfs will be orderable from later this week, and formal pricing will be released to dealers at that time. At time of launch, no cars will have the navigation or bi-xenons fitted, due to factory build restrictions.

Dutch77
17-04-2013, 10:08 AM
So no active/dynamic chassis control option for non GTI/R cars anymore?

AdamD
17-04-2013, 10:17 AM
So no active/dynamic chassis control option for non GTI/R cars anymore?

It's not mentioned in the information I've received. So it looks like it's not available at this stage.

Dutch77
17-04-2013, 10:35 AM
It's not mentioned in the information I've received. So it looks like it's not available at this stage.

Odd, the UK reviews were all recommending people consider it as an option. Having said that, it probably wasn't a common option (although there seems to be quite a few 118tsi with it fitted) and I reckon VW Aus would be trying their best to spec up and reduce the options list - or package them together a la the driver assistance package.

Ryan_R
17-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Could it be a part of the driver assistance package (profile selection)? Although that would make that package very expensive - I'd like some but not all of what's in there. Or maybe it just wasn't a popular option in the non-sport Mk6?

DoggieHowser
17-04-2013, 12:50 PM
No Dynaudio option? No mention of color mfd or discover pro 8" screen and folding mirrors either

AdamD
17-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Could it be a part of the driver assistance package (profile selection)? Although that would make that package very expensive - I'd like some but not all of what's in there. Or maybe it just wasn't a popular option in the non-sport Mk6?

The DCC isn't part of the Driver Assistance Package, no.

No Dynaudio option? No mention of color mfd or discover pro 8" screen and folding mirrors either

No Dynaudio option has been listed, nor colour MFD. The satnav option for the Comfortline is the 5.8" only, which is standard on the Highline (no upgrade is listed, although it may be available as a dealer-fitted accessory). I think it'd be very unusual to see folding mirrors available even as an option in Australia, with our (generally) wider-than-European-lanes roads.

DoggieHowser
17-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I think it'd be very unusual to see folding mirrors available even as an option in Australia, with our (generally) wider-than-European-lanes roads.

When I was in Sydney and Melbourne, I wouldn't make generalizations such as this when parking in the city centre. I have also seen some rather atrociously designed carparks in the Brisbane City Centre.

ps you don't need the motorized folding mirror while driving :) just parking.

As for preordering the GTI, what I meant is taking a preorder with options ticked.

Jake02
17-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Have the official specs been released yet by VW Aus? Let's reserve judgement until that happens.

AdamD
17-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Have the official specs been released yet by VW Aus? Let's reserve judgement until that happens.

The above detail (as provided by my previous post (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-australian-specifications-84598-2.html#post939900)) is official, through unofficial channels (I've been provided with official VW documents). Expect to see the information up on VW's website later this week or early next.

cktsi
18-04-2013, 07:09 AM
). I think it'd be very unusual to see folding mirrors available even as an option in Australia, with our (generally) wider-than-European-lanes roads.

except when you are trying to park at wilson parking town hall in the city! Trust me... Folding mirrors can be useful. I have used them!

AdamD
18-04-2013, 08:48 AM
When I was in Sydney and Melbourne, I wouldn't make generalizations such as this when parking in the city centre. I have also seen some rather atrociously designed carparks in the Brisbane City Centre.

ps you don't need the motorized folding mirror while driving :) just parking.

except when you are trying to park at wilson parking town hall in the city! Trust me... Folding mirrors can be useful. I have used them!

I'm not suggesting they're not useful, or that Australia doesn't have roads that are narrow enough to warrant their use whilst driving or parking. I've manually folded my mirrors in during or after parking countless times.

I am suggesting that VW won't see the value in adding them to the list of inclusions for the Golf in Australia. Not enough people will see their worth to want to spend the extra - even if us careful and picky forum types do.

DoggieHowser
18-04-2013, 11:49 AM
And my neighbour's Lancer has that iirc

Golf7
18-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Here is what the official Mk.7 Golf Lineup will look like:

90TSI 6 Speed Manual

90TSI 7 Speed DSG

90TSI Comfortline 6 Speed Manual

90TSI Comfortline 7 Speed DSG

103TSI Highline 7 Speed DSG

110TDI Highline 6 Speed DSG

I will update everyone when I get the pricing!

Let me know if you guys need the specifications as well.

MY REVIEW OF THE CAR COMING SHORTLY ON AUTOBLOGAUSTRALIA.BLOGSPOT.COM.AU

Golf7
18-04-2013, 05:04 PM
HERE ARE THE OFFICIAL TRIM LEVEL SPECIFICATIONS

90TSI

• 1.4 litre TSI turbocharged petrol engine with 90kW of power and 200Nm of torque
• 6 speed manual or optional 7 speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG)
• BlueMotion Technology – Engine Start / Stop system and Brake energy recuperation
• Electro-mechanical power steering
• 15” steel wheels with full wheel covers (weight and space saving spare wheel)

90TSI Comfortline

More equipment in relation to the 90TSI. Alloys included.

103TSI & 110TDI Highline
Additional standard equipment highlights above 90TSI Comfortline:
• 1.4 litre TSI turbocharged petrol engine with 103kW of power and 250Nm of torque combined with a 7 speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) or
• 2.0 litre TDI turbocharged diesel engine with 110kW of power and 320Nm of torque combined with a 6 speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG)

MY REVIEW OF THE CAR COMING SHORTLY ON AUTOBLOGAUSTRALIA.BLOGSPOT.COM.AU

oshuyi
18-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Drive - New Volkswagen Golf Review (http://smh.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/first-drive-review-volkswagen-golf-20130418-2i2nb.html)

cktsi
18-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Finally!!! It's launched!

There's also this...

Volkswagen Golf 7 comes out swinging - motoring.com.au (http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/volkswagen-golf-7-comes-out-swinging-36153)

They seem to forget that Mercedes Benz started the war on loading cars up with gadgets with their A-Class... not VW

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/56370/2013-new-volkswagen-golf-7-on-sale-in-australia-price-from-21490

This one says Nav is now standard in highline. About time!!

phaeton
18-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Official Golf 7 Launched in Australia - VWWatercooled.com.au (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/2013/04/the-new-golf-launches-in-australia/)

DoggieHowser
18-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Drive - New Volkswagen Golf Review (http://smh.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/first-drive-review-volkswagen-golf-20130418-2i2nb.html)

Did they remove the garish silver trim from Aus spec 7s?

Golf7
19-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Hey Everyone!

Here is the OFFICIAL Information on the Golf Mk.7's Specifications in Australia!

Enjoy! I'll post some information of the car's International Press Release on my blog
autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au

Multi-award-winning Golf 7 continues to define the small car class with state-of-the-art lightweight design and premium equipment as standard.

New Golf is lighter and up to 16 per cent more fuel efficient.

The seventh generation Golf resets the standard for the class with impressive dynamics, safety, fuel efficiency and value.

Simply put, the new Golf improves on a successful formula but does not cost any more.

The new Golf delivers a reassuring design with fundamental improvements to key areas: its weight has been reduced, thereby reversing the often cited upward weight spiral.
Fuel economy has improved by a maximum of 16 per cent, depending on engine selection. In addition, Volkswagen is equipping the Golf with new assistance systems– some as options, and many as standard.
The hunt for every last gram of weight saving did not lead to advances being achieved at the expense of steps backwards in other areas. Volkswagen has demonstrated that the Golf stands more than ever for a democratisation of progress and for perfection in every detail: with added space; new pioneering safety systems such as the multi-collision brake system and advanced fuel efficiency measures such as BlueMotion Technology as standard.
As Volkswagen understands the need Australian drivers have to cover long distances in a single trip, all Golf 7s delivered to Australia also come standard with a potentially life-saving driver fatigue detection system, which analyses driving style in the initial kilometres of a trip, and then monitors the driver’s steering and response patterns, recommending regular breaks upon detecting lapses in driver concentration.
Further adding to the comprehensive array of standard equipment are features that were previously reserved for high performance models, in this case the Extended Differential Lock (XDL) – which debuted with the Golf GTI – now fitted across the range.
Inside, occupants will not only appreciate the more spacious and practical interior but will find a premium infotainment system with a 5.8-inch display which responds to touch, as well as ‘smartphonestyle’ swipe and zoom hand gestures to scroll through media content. The new Golf’s infotainment system is USB, SD card and Bluetooth enabled.
In conjunction with the increase in standard features, the range has been simplified both in terms of options and powertrain.
All models offer new levels of comfort and practicality, with an extra 30 litres of boot space and more legroom for passengers in the rear. The handbrake is replaced with an electronic parking brake, a feature already found in Tiguan and Touareg models, which frees more space in the cabin, allowing for greater storage space. The Golf’s innovative Eco Tip function, which gives drivers advice on ways to save fuel while driving, further adds value and convenience to customers.
All models in the new Golf range boast the next generation platform and engines. The new entry model, 90TSI Golf 7, replaces the 77TSI Golf 6, with a more powerful and fuel efficient engine delivering exceptional refinement, comfort, value, safety and practicality.
The 90TSI Comfortline offers a comprehensive array of standard features including a rear-view camera, front and rear parking sensors, rain sensing windscreen wipers, auto dimming rear-view mirror and automatic headlights, plus dual-zone climate control air conditioning and alloy wheels.
For the first time in the Golf line-up you now get the Highline specification in conjunction with the 103TSI and 110TDI models.
Both petrol and diesel models come comprehensively equipped respectively with standard 7 or 6-speed DSG, luxurious alcantara and cloth trim, 17-inch alloy wheels and Discover Media Satellite Navigation. The performance and economy of both Highline engines is exceptional, with the 103TSI’s combined fuel consumption of 5.2l/100km setting the standard in its class.
The new Golf once again raises the benchmark to the category it created. Recently announced as European Car of the Year, followed by World Car of the Year, the Golf 7 is the embodiment of Volkswagen’s ‘the people’s car’ ethos. It is also a fitting vehicle to launch in Volkswagen’s 60th year in Australia. A new icon for a new generation.

The new Golf 7 – Pricing
Models
Golf 90TSI 6 Speed Manual $21,490
Golf 90TSI 7 Speed DSG $23,990
Golf 90TSI Comfortline 6 Speed Manual $24,990
Golf 90TSI Comfortline 7 Speed DSG $27,490
Golf 103TSI Highline 7 Speed DSG $31,990
Golf 110TDI Highline 6 Speed DSG $34,490

Options
Metallic / Pearl Effect paint $500
Driver assistance package – Comfortline & Highline $1,300
Discover Media satellite navigation system – Comfortline (Std Highline) $950
Panoramic electric glass sunroof – Highline $1,850
Bi-Xenon headlights with LED daytime driving lights – Highline $2,150
Vienna leather appointed upholstery – Highline $2,950
Anti-theft alarm system – Comfortline & Highline $600

AdamD
19-04-2013, 09:09 AM
This one says Nav is now standard in highline. About time!!

This information was posted in this thread on Wednesday. :)

Ryan_R
19-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Weren't there 2 versions of the nav, a 5" and 7" one? So we can't get the 7" one? What are the differences between them (besides screen size and lack of DVD player iirc)?

AdamD
19-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Weren't there 2 versions of the nav, a 5" and 7" one? So we can't get the 7" one? What are the differences between them (besides screen size and lack of DVD player iirc)?

The version fitted to the Highline is the 5.8" Discover navigation system. There's an 8" model called the Discover Pro; I've not seen any references to it in the official documents for the Golf in Australia, so it may only be available as an accessory (until the GTI and R come out).

Discover Nav Pro : Volkswagen UK (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/navigation-and-entertainment-systems/discover-nav-pro)

Golf7
19-04-2013, 10:10 AM
The 8 inch Discover Pro is not currently offered in the Australian Golf lineup, however I can confirm that it will be standard equipment on the Golf GTI (base) as well as the Performance Edition. The system is not available as an accessory as yet, however it will be introduced soon as testing for Australian conditions is yet to be concluded. Hope this helps!

Golf7
19-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Just had a drive of the base 90TSI Mk7, this model is out of this world amazing. I was left speechless! Power, refinement, handling, the way the new Golf just tucks the nose in is scary... And the price, that interior... I could go on for days... Something unbelievable...

stickshift3000
19-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Just had a drive of the base 90TSI Mk7, this model is out of this world amazing. I was left speechless! Power, refinement, handling, the way the new Golf just tucks the nose in is scary... And the price, that interior... I could go on for days... Something unbelievable...

Do you work for VW??

wogboy_9000
19-04-2013, 01:11 PM
6 posts... all in this thread. Seems legit

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Ryan_R
19-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Does anyone else think the new MFSW button layout is a bit too much compared to the simplicity (could operate easily be feel alone) in the Mk6?

Also has the accelerator pedal changed from being floor mounted to the same as the brake? Perhaps that'll help with some feeling of unresponsiveness.

Dutch77
19-04-2013, 01:54 PM
I hadn't noticed but now you've forced me to look at the wheels side by side.. and while the 7 looks a little cleaner in its execution I tend to agree that the functionality may remain better in the 6. I suppose it's what you get used to.

DoggieHowser
19-04-2013, 02:15 PM
I have driven the 140ps version in Singapore and it is deceptively quick. Very smooth, very composed but hits speeds without you realizing how fast you are going. I didn't find the steering wheel controls too busy tho.

I'd love to see the GTI options :)

idaho
19-04-2013, 02:32 PM
So a manual is only available in the 90TSI models. I would think VW might lose a few sales but then I don't have any knowledge of the manual / DSG sales figures in mark VI models.

Golf7
19-04-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm a freelance journalist/blogger that just is a massive VW enthusiast and was lucky enough to have a go in the car yesterday.

Now, the steering wheel controls are very easy and logically laid-out, they fall very nicely to hand.

The accelerator is no longer floor mounted as has been the long tradition with German cars, personally its a bit of bean counting on VW's behalf. All MQB cars have had their dash structures optimised for the accelerator to be mounted from the top. The floor mounted one was always used as it reduced tension in the joints on long journeys but with accountants ruling the world...

If you've got any questions I'd be happy to reply!

soogs
19-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Accelerator pedal now top mounted. Hooray. Now I can stretch out when on cruise. I drive both and really haven't thought about floor mounted being more relaxing. It's mostly cruise for highway driving anyway.

Always thought the Germans were archaic, as the last person to heel and toe died in the ark. LOL. Besides can it be done with DSG?

BTW Golf7, has the Highline the 4 options/programs for the DSG? or do you need the Driver Assist Package?

Golf7
19-04-2013, 06:42 PM
The Highline models with their DSG gearboxes don't have a the driving mode selection function. That unfortunately is an optional extra...

Have a read:

Driving profile selection
The optional driving profile selection allows a variety of wide-ranging settings to be made to the vehicle according to the driver’s preferences. A variety of different driving modes can be selected:
 Normal: comfortable and dynamic drive
 Sport: Faster response of the accelerator pedal and steering , DSG switches to “S”
 Eco: adaptation of engine, earlier gearshift and coasting function for DSG, consumption
optimized air conditioning
 Individual: individual setting of all parameters (drive, steering, steering, etc.)

Dutch77
19-04-2013, 09:07 PM
So driver profile selection is an expansion of the mk6 normal/sport setting?

Seems to be limited information available, but UK websites suggest it can also alter suspension.. so I am guessing this means active chassis control may fall under this at some point.

Assuming normal is still a bit sluggish and sport is still mental, individual sounds intriguing.

Golf7
19-04-2013, 09:38 PM
It's sort of a gimmick to be honest, its like the ACC of the old one but WITHOUT the suspension changing its profile. As you read it only affects the throttle response, shift points on the DSG (like normal S mode) and changes the steering weighting. Quite disappointed about this feature as the Euro ones get adaptive ratio steering and ACC whereas we just get a gimmicky sport/eco mode that does very little and costs quite a lot...

clip
19-04-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm a freelance journalist/blogger that just is a massive VW enthusiast and was lucky enough to have a go in the car yesterday..., The accerator is no longer floor mounted....personally its a bit of bean counting on VW's behalf
Are you sure it's all about bean counting? Floor mount is much less comfortable and less responsive IMHO.

Great you're a freelance journo - hopefully you can bring some cred to the otherwise incredibly poor, mis-informed, and all too often ignorant-of-all-things-automotive, and all too often biased automotive journalism we have at present in Aust.

DoggieHowser
19-04-2013, 10:02 PM
It's sort of a gimmick to be honest, its like the ACC of the old one but WITHOUT the suspension changing its profile. As you read it only affects the throttle response, shift points on the DSG (like normal S mode) and changes the steering weighting. Quite disappointed about this feature as the Euro ones get adaptive ratio steering and ACC whereas we just get a gimmicky sport/eco mode that does very little and costs quite a lot...

In Europe, the ACC is in addition to the Driver Profile mode (extra cost option) but the Driver Profile will also change the suspension settings IN ADDITION to what you stated. The Singapore model Equipment Pack adds a Sports Suspension option (but not ACC)

Golf7
19-04-2013, 10:11 PM
They've long claimed that the floor mounted one's better, the R8 has it, the Aventador, Mercs, BMWs all the top Germans. Hey, but its a thing of personal preference...

I couldn't agree more with your comments about the automotive journalists here in Australia, they have very poor knowledge, have ZERO passion and couldn't care less about what they have written more often than not... And that's not the worst bit. Our so called "reviews" are just massive advertising ploys, paid for by car manufacturers. Every time you get a press car and then write up a review, you have to show it to the manufacturer! Just have a read of any article from TheAge (Drive) or from the RACV, RAA, they even said the Giulietta was a four door sedan. And I've actually seen much, much worse from them! The Carsguide car of the year award is a massive marketing exercise with seemingly every car in it getting an award. And even now with the New Golf, Drive's review on The Age, was just a regurgitation of a spec sheet. The only decent reviews out there are from Wheels, well sometimes anyway. I'm hoping that with more reviews and interesting articles my blog will really takeoff! I'll try and post the 250 page press report up somehow. I might chuck it up on my blog: autoblogaustralia.com.auI'll also get my first drive report up soon. Let me know what you guys want in it. I'll try to cover all the bases as per my Megane RS and Ford Focus reviews.

So yeah, not too long ago, just out of a hobby I decided to give reviewing cars a go, I love VW's, not a day passes without me spending hours on the web reading press reports, I can't help it, I just love pouring over car literature. And I just love the Golf, the new one is the best car on the Australian market. Full Stop.

Ryan_R
20-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Video reviews on YouTube are my preference :)

Jimi
20-04-2013, 12:04 PM
The 8 inch Discover Pro is not currently offered in the Australian Golf lineup, however I can confirm that it will be standard equipment on the Golf GTI (base) as well as the Performance Edition. The system is not available as an accessory as yet, however it will be introduced soon as testing for Australian conditions is yet to be concluded. Hope this helps!

Do you have any more info on equipment levels or pricing for the GTI?

Discover Pro looks brilliant, and the plastic around the smaller screens doesn't look that great in photos

Golf7
20-04-2013, 12:18 PM
No idea about the GTI yet, but I have great news, the GOLF MK7 OFFICIAL BROCHURE IS HERE! I'll put it up on my blog! Autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au I have the PDF.

rustyinsthoz
20-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Anyone confirm that the new 1.4 TSI engines run a timing belt instead of a chain?

DoggieHowser
20-04-2013, 01:26 PM
No idea about the GTI yet, but I have great news, the GOLF MK7 OFFICIAL BROCHURE IS HERE! I'll put it up on my blog! Autobloaustralia.blogspot.com.au I have the PDF.

is it autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au ?

Nothing there on the 7?

soogs
20-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Just noticed on Drive video review that it comes now with twin reversing lights. Hooray!

Golf7
20-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I've put up the entire Australian Brochure! Clicking on the photos makes them bigger and better to read! I'll probably have the review in the next few weeks, have to go for a nice, proper drive in it! I'll also throw up some photos of the car's development and testing stage! For anyone really interested in the 7, this will be a great place to find many interesting facts. I promise to cover even the smallest most minute details. E.g How can the Golf be 3dB quieter at 110km/h even though it has less sound insulation than the Mk.6? Who knew that the Golf's central armrest actually wirelessly boosts your phone's coverage as it conducts your phones signal through to the Golf's antenna, reducing your battery use and your phone's radiation. And who knew that the New Golf is one of the first cars in the world to have doors that when you open them they don't stop in only two positions by themselves, somewhere at the 50% point and at their furthest extension point. This is thanks to an ingenious roller inside the doors that makes the door stay in the position that you actually placed it in. Its the details that matter... This is why I love this car!

Keep checking autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au regularly as I'll be posting really interesting stuff quite frequently!

On a side note, it's great to see that VW Australia chose the multi-link independent suspension for ALL Golfs, even the 90TSI. Great move!

beachie1
20-04-2013, 02:37 PM
As the originator of this post,I am amazed at the response from fellow Watercooled enthusiasts.
Thank you!
I feel the purpose has been fulfilled and with 60 posts,it is now getting unwieldy to read.
A new beginning would be appropriate as the new Golf is finally revealed and on sale next week.
looking forward to ownership stories as they are rolled out.
Best regards
beachie1

Golf7
20-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks for starting it, it has been a pleasure to let everyone know about this great car! I have greatly enjoyed sharing my information and knowledge of the this brilliant car!

ian
20-04-2013, 04:02 PM
There was a good write up in the Telegraph on Friday in the motoring section .

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/volkswagen_golf_first_drive_review?origin=hpc1

zoomda
21-04-2013, 07:45 AM
It's up on the official website now. Golf < Models < Volkswagen Australia (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/models/golf.html)

Although that page has a picture of a VI still :) I guess there are still some of those with GTD, GTI and wagon and R.

Firsttimer
21-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Does anyone know if we're getting the ergoactive seat? I don't see any mention of it on the site. It says sports seat but doesn't give details. It looked like such a nice unit.

Golf7
21-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Nope we're not getting the ergoActive seat. To be honest it's the same as the Highline's "Sports" seats without some more extravagant adjusting options like the width of the seat bolsters...

buddy03
21-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Does anyone know if VW already has the new Golf in stock? How long will it take to fulfill an order?

I'm quite desperate for a new car so was hoping to have something as soon as possible.

irossiter
21-04-2013, 06:16 PM
The quality of automotive journalism is generally rubbish, particularly the ****e in the newspapers. They simply publish what the car makers have told them to say. They NEVER criticise a car. That is what they are employed to do but obviously the manufacturers simply refuse to supply them with cars again in the future or stop them publishing the true story. In their defence though, newspaper journos seem to have limited word counts for articles. Another thing is that the people reading their articles probably all drive Camry's or Corolla's and have absolutely no technical interest in what makes a brilliant car like a Golf. Otherwise we'd all buy a Mazda 3, Corolla or Lancer and not care about driver satisfaction. And all be wearing cardigans.
I have read Wheels since 1983 and still rely on their opinions (including the European writers they choose to publish).
I miss Bill Tuckey calling a spade a spade (he actually changed the Age ****e for a while there).
Motor (Modern Motor) has now become a hoon, doof doof, irrelevant load of rubbish. I would hate to think of Europeans reading their standards of grammar, spelling and so called Aussie humour (but aimed at a different crowd now). By the way I'm not concentrating on my grammar whilst writing this!
I welcome bloggers or anyone else with the courage to give us a genuinely honest opinion.
Oh, and Ford Australia, I don't give a rats if you can fit your stilettos under the seat of a Fiesta!! Unfortunately that's what sells cars to the majority of morons.

Golf7
21-04-2013, 06:17 PM
I've also added the new Golf GTI's specifications up on autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au... Enjoy...

mr gee
21-04-2013, 06:46 PM
I've also added the new Golf GTI's specifications up on autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au... Enjoy...

Thanks, Thumbs up

Golf7
21-04-2013, 07:34 PM
The quality of automotive journalism is generally rubbish, particularly the ****e in the newspapers. They simply publish what the car makers have told them to say. They NEVER criticise a car. That is what they are employed to do but obviously the manufacturers simply refuse to supply them with cars again in the future or stop them publishing the true story. In their defence though, newspaper journos seem to have limited word counts for articles. Another thing is that the people reading their articles probably all drive Camry's or Corolla's and have absolutely no technical interest in what makes a brilliant car like a Golf. Otherwise we'd all buy a Mazda 3, Corolla or Lancer and not care about driver satisfaction. And all be wearing cardigans.
I have read Wheels since 1983 and still rely on their opinions (including the European writers they choose to publish).
I miss Bill Tuckey calling a spade a spade (he actually changed the Age ****e for a while there).
Motor (Modern Motor) has now become a hoon, doof doof, irrelevant load of rubbish. I would hate to think of Europeans reading their standards of grammar, spelling and so called Aussie humour (but aimed at a different crowd now). By the way I'm not concentrating on my grammar whilst writing this!
I welcome bloggers or anyone else with the courage to give us a genuinely honest opinion.
Oh, and Ford Australia, I don't give a rats if you can fit your stilettos under the seat of a Fiesta!! Unfortunately that's what sells cars to the majority of morons.

I couldn't agree more with every single word that you wrote, it really is heart-warming to see that some people out there share my views. The Age's Drive really is the worst stuff out there, they literally regurgitate the car's press release or even the actual brochure. They have no idea what they're usually writing about, they couldn't care less if they were reviewing sewing machines or cars. This lack of passion and desire to write something genuinely interesting is just all too apparent in the car media here. Let's even take the Mk.7 Golf's brochure here in Australia, it's got the seat fabric pictures from the Mk.6 and they have also put the 90TSI down as coming with a 6 speed DSG (instead of saying Manual) or 7 speed DSG. And don't even get me started on those awards they give out, like the 'Australia's Best Car" one. Such an advertising exercise, every car is a winner!!! And Motor magazine is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read by accident...

I'll keep doing my best to put up simple, honest reviews that cater for motoring enthusiasts! And VW fanatics of course... :)

DoggieHowser
21-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Danke.

Spook
21-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if VW already has the new Golf in stock? How long will it take to fulfill an order?

Not at the dealers AFAIK. I did pop into one today and they did not have any on the ground. The salesperson did say they are having the training this coming week, so I guess the cars will be there at the end of this week.

kbuvw
22-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Anyone have any idea if the Aus spec Mk7 golfs will have digital radio? Seems as though the UK models have DAB, but given DAB+ that we use here is not very common internationally, I'm not sure if they would put it in.

Am probably going to put in an order to replace my 2009 118TSI with an 103TSI, and will add the driver assistance package and leather. And although I like the bi-xenons w/led driving lights in our Touareg, I don't know if I could justify the $2100 price tag - anyone got an argument to justify them? :)

Mountainman
22-04-2013, 08:17 AM
I had a good look at the Mk7 which was on sale in Dunedin, NZ 6 weeks ago. It looks so good in the metal, the extra wheelbase is really obvious, and the sharper lines give it a more modern look. I wonder how the Kiwis are able to get it before us Aussies?

btw In reply to post 68 by irossiter - maybe there are plenty of owners/drivers of Mazda 3's who appreciate the cheaper, reliable, trouble free ownership the 3 assures them of that the Golf doesn't, yet still have a great drive that gives away nothing to the Trendline/Comfortline Golfs.

zoomda
22-04-2013, 08:36 AM
I'd like DAB+ too. The A250 has it so let's hope the GTI at least has the option.

I can give you an argument to not justify bi-xenons, unless of course you drive at night a lot :)

kbuvw
22-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I'd like DAB+ too. The A250 has it so let's hope the GTI at least has the option.

I can give you an argument to not justify bi-xenons, unless of course you drive at night a lot :)

That's a good point - in my golf (which is pretty much just for to and from work), I'm rarely driving in the dark.

Looking at the specs and brochure posted on that blog, it doesn't seem that DAB+ will be an option, unfortunately. I've noticed the irish specs have it as an option (for around 200 euro from memory)

Now, whether to go the black or cream leather!

zoomda
22-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Not sure if this has been posted but watching the robots in this... pretty amazing VW Golf Mk 7 Production, Wolfsburg plant, 2013 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXsUo8soNM)

MGV
22-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Sorry if this has been covered earlier, but pricing emailed to me just this afternoon:

Golf 90TSI 6 Speed Manual
$25,236.59*
Golf 90TSI 7 Speed DSG
$27,811.59*
Golf 90TSI Comfortline 6 Speed Manual
$28,841.59*
Golf 90TSI Comfortline 7 Speed DSG
$31,416.59*
Golf 103TSI Highline 7 Speed DSG
$36,051.59*
Golf 110TDI Highline 6 Speed DSG
$38,626.59*
Golf GTI 3 Door 6 Speed Manual
$43,649.73*
Golf GTI 3 Door 6 Speed DSG
$46,224.73*
Golf GTI 5 Door 6 Speed Manual
$45,194.73*
Golf GTI 5 Door 6 Speed DSG
$47,783.73*
Golf R 5 Door 6 Speed Manual
$55,297.82*
Golf R 5 Door 6 Speed DSG
$57,922.82*

buzuki
22-04-2013, 07:25 PM
There's a 3 door golf coming back?

In saying that, our 1st arrived at dealership today :banana:

Jimi
22-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Those prices are higher than I've read elsewhere. What does the asterisk reference?

oshuyi
22-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Is that the price for the current
Golf r or the golf vii R?

LunchboxVRS
22-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I presume that's driveway price?

MGV
22-04-2013, 09:18 PM
I just copied & pasted the text after entering my postcode... This is the copy & paste regarding the asterisk:

*This is the manufacturer's recommended drive away price. Available at participating dealers. Private buyers only. Price is based on a 40 year old male with a good driving record and for private use. The final price may vary according to your circumstances as confirmed by your dealer. Options and metallic paint may be available for an additional cost. Please see your local dealer to confirm your individual price. The above pricing does not take into account any campaign/promotion that may be current in relation to any of the above models. For information regarding any current campaign/promotion pricing, please contact your local Volkswagen dealer.

MGV
22-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Seems as though if you're not a 40 year old male with a good driving record, using the car for private use, then you should expect to pay more! :rolleyes:

Tobes_WIR35
22-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Saw a couple driving around Brisbane today. It wasn't that special though seeing as though I just spent a week in Germany on business - they're like Commodores over there already.

Golf7
23-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Got an update for anyone looking to get some extra options on their New Golf. The Xenons aren't available until June and the Driver Assistance package will be available then as well. If you've got any questions on the car at all, don't hesitate to ask!

Golf7
23-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Who's noticed the glaring errors in the new MK.7 brochure... Absolutely shocking... The 90TSI apparently comes with a 6 speed DSG or a 7 Speed DSG and the seat trims are from the MK.6...

Ryan_R
23-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Get some accessories (body kit, wheels, tint, xenons, etc) and it looks pretty good

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/content/medialib/vwd4/au/showroom/golf/golf7/accessories/golf7hero_accessories/_jcr_content/renditions/item.file/golf7hero_accessories.jpg

Dutch77
23-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Get some accessories (body kit, wheels, tint, xenons, etc) and it looks pretty good

I think I mentioned this on another thread, it looks cleaner than the GTI strakes - and the lip extension adds more aggressiveness to it.. without being over the top.

Those wheels look a little similar to what I am looking at myself as well.

pologti18t
23-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Who's noticed the glaring errors in the new MK.7 brochure... Absolutely shocking... The 90TSI apparently comes with a 6 speed DSG or a 7 Speed DSG and the seat trims are from the MK.6...
The specs looked ok to me.

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/content/medialib/vwd4/au/common/brochures/new-golf-my13-brochure-pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/new-golf-my13-brochure.pdf

The_Hawk
23-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Saw some in the flesh today at the local dealer. I didn't get a chance for a good look, but I did talk to a couple of the tech who had just drive in in one of the 90TSI units who said it goes pretty well for what it is.

Personally I'm looking forward to the GTI with Panoramic sunroof... might have to trade in the Cab on one of those to get some extra power!

MkVIGTI
23-04-2013, 06:29 PM
If you've got any questions on the car at all, don't hesitate to ask!

Do the Oz spec Golfs get the false floor in the boot also?

Golf7
23-04-2013, 08:03 PM

Yup, they sure do! All of them.

Golf7
23-04-2013, 08:05 PM
The specs looked ok to me.

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/content/medialib/vwd4/au/common/brochures/new-golf-my13-brochure-pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/new-golf-my13-brochure.pdf

Look very closely on the power-train specs at the end as well as the seat trims... They're from the MK6. Some person was putting the brochure together and had no interest in what they were doing, completely dispassionate and they probably couldn't care less if it was a brochure for a sewing machine or a car... Real sad VW Australia...

MkVIGTI
23-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Yup, they sure do!

Thanks Golf7! What about Keyless Start? Also I noticed in the reviews that they didn't mention the cynlinder deactivation tech in the 103TSI. Does that mean we don't get them?

Golf7
23-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks Golf7! What about Keyless Start? Also I noticed in the reviews that they didn't mention the cynlinder deactivation tech in the 103TSI. Does that mean we don't get them?

I was astounded by that too... No ACT here in Australia. Anke Koeckler (head of VWA) said that she didn't want the system as it could cause quite a few problems with our poor quality fuel... No keyless start either, that's reserved for the GTI :)

Spook
23-04-2013, 10:57 PM

I see it... page 40 under Weights. Meant to reference 6sp Man, of course. Not exactly glaring though. Not until you pointed it out anyway.

b c
23-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Feeling a bit flat about all of this. No ACT, no ACC, no xenons, no driver assistance package, no DAB+, no detail on the sat nav, no mention of both front seats being height adjustable - all of which I'm interested in. was hoping to pull the trigger as soon as i had driven a highline. Some are coming, but... What's VWs history like, are some of the things not available now likely to make it in later updates, or are they reserved for the GTI?

Golf7
23-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Feeling a bit flat about all of this. No ACT, no ACC, no xenons, no driver assistance package, no DAB+, no detail on the sat nav, no mention of both front seats being height adjustable - all of which I'm interested in. was hoping to pull the trigger as soon as i had driven a highline. Some are coming, but... What's VWs history like, are some of the things not available now likely to make it in later updates, or are they reserved for the GTI?

Its just the start of production, relax everything will arrive in due course... The xenons are coming, the driver assistance package too, the 5.8 inch with sat nav is standard and all models except the base one have height adjustment on the two front seats...

b c
24-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Yep, still a nice cake, but not quite ready yet, and some of the icing isn't available.

Golf7
24-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Yep, still a nice cake, but not quite ready yet, and some of the icing isn't available.

It always happens like that... For now let's rejoice in the 90TSI's brilliance and its astonishing $21,490 price tag... :)

Golf7
24-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm going to take the 90TSI Manual, (the base model) for a long test drive through the Yarra Ranges in a couple of days. And with that want to know what you guys would like to have covered, have a read of my old reviews and let me know what I ought to focus on, what I need to improve, and above all else I'd love to accept any special requests for the drive. A list of dot points will be fine. I'm so excited to share as much information as possible as well as my personal opinions with you guys about this outstanding car.

So there we go, I'm taking your "to do" list for me. :)

cktsi
25-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Look very closely on the power-train specs at the end as well as the seat trims... They're from the MK6. Some person was putting the brochure together and had no interest in what they were doing, completely dispassionate and they probably couldn't care less if it was a brochure for a sewing machine or a car... Real sad VW Australia...

Good pickup. I noticed the brown leather was not in the brochure.

I am disappointed the electric seats are still not an option! That can't be right considering all the other technology on offer????

Golf7
25-04-2013, 10:40 AM
The errors are just errors but why oh why does VW Australia always pick that Corn Silk Beige stuff??? We don't want a Camry, but a sharp german vehicle! The brown leather is something sublime in the Mk.7.

Ryan_R
25-04-2013, 11:37 AM
I think it looks pretty good in my car (looks more cream than beige)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/20120706_132048-1.jpg

Arnold
25-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Yup, they sure do! All of them.

When left in place, does the false floor result in reduced boot depth compared with the Mark V / VI (but greater depth when removed)?

On another note, props (to use American Idol's Randy Jackson's preferred term of praise) to VW for adding an RVC across the Mark VII range (of course it should have been standard in the Mark VI Golfs from the GTI up and in any model with a large format display).

On the other hand, no props for DAB+ not being standard across the Mark VII range in 2013. That's even less excusable than leaving an RVC out of the Mark VI GTIs. To add insult, I saw a Toyota Camry with DAB+ yesterday.

Interesting blog from our resident blogger.

In terms of the post here: Auto Blog Australia: VW Golf GTI Launch Information (http://autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/vw-golf-gti-launch-information.html) on the Mark VII GTI, perhaps Mark (Golf7) could explain why it refers to the 2015 model year?

The post also refers to an electric driver's seat option for the Mark VII GTI but, of course, without a memory function, motorisation can be more hindrance (slower) than help.

I gather still no front seat tilt function on any Australian-spec Golfs, which would be much more useful than motorisation. I know this was available in US-built GTIs.

While a bit of a shame from my point of view, the rationalisation of transmission options in Highline Golfs is understandable from an inventory management perspective. I understand that Honda has done something similar with its Accord Euro Luxury. I am sure both companies will continue to be uninundated with requests for manual transmissions with "luxury" versions of their respective models.

I look forward to seeing DAB+ in later Mark VII Golfs, front seat tilt adjustment in the Mark VIII, and an electric driver's seat with memory function in the Mark IX and in the meantime to seeing the Mark VII GTI with 6MT. It should be a cracker!

Ryan_R
25-04-2013, 12:16 PM
At least they all have bluetooth with A2DP as standard so you can stream digital radio stations via the TuneIn app (although needs Internet and quality will be low). I was hoping for DAB+ as well. Hopefully the GTI will have it.

pologti18t
25-04-2013, 09:24 PM
terms of the post here: Auto Blog Australia: VW Golf GTI Launch Information (http://autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/vw-golf-gti-launch-information.html) on the Mark VII GTI, perhaps Mark (Golf7) could explain why it refers to the 2015 model year?

because those specs seem to be for a US spec GTI. they wont get it until 2014 so it will be labelled a 2015 model.

Ryan_R
25-04-2013, 10:08 PM
I'll throw a curly question out there.... does anyone know if the various improved Intercoolers purchased to use on a Mk6 GTI will fit a Mk7? (i.e. the S3 or APR one)

Golf7
26-04-2013, 09:33 PM
When left in place, does the false floor result in reduced boot depth compared with the Mark V / VI (but greater depth when removed)?

On another note, props (to use American Idol's Randy Jackson's preferred term of praise) to VW for adding an RVC across the Mark VII range (of course it should have been standard in the Mark VI Golfs from the GTI up and in any model with a large format display).

On the other hand, no props for DAB+ not being standard across the Mark VII range in 2013. That's even less excusable than leaving an RVC out of the Mark VI GTIs. To add insult, I saw a Toyota Camry with DAB+ yesterday.

Interesting blog from our resident blogger.

In terms of the post here: Auto Blog Australia: VW Golf GTI Launch Information (http://autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/vw-golf-gti-launch-information.html) on the Mark VII GTI, perhaps Mark (Golf7) could explain why it refers to the 2015 model year?

The post also refers to an electric driver's seat option for the Mark VII GTI but, of course, without a memory function, motorisation can be more hindrance (slower) than help.

I gather still no front seat tilt function on any Australian-spec Golfs, which would be much more useful than motorisation. I know this was available in US-built GTIs.

While a bit of a shame from my point of view, the rationalisation of transmission options in Highline Golfs is understandable from an inventory management perspective. I understand that Honda has done something similar with its Accord Euro Luxury. I am sure both companies will continue to be uninundated with requests for manual transmissions with "luxury" versions of their respective models.

I look forward to seeing DAB+ in later Mark VII Golfs, front seat tilt adjustment in the Mark VIII, and an electric driver's seat with memory function in the Mark IX and in the meantime to seeing the Mark VII GTI with 6MT. It should be a cracker!

I'm pretty sure that every single Golf will get DAB+ radio, from the technology demonstrators I've seen the new infotainment systems have those capabilities. No electric seat or anything with the current Golf lineup, it'll probably be an option with the GTI in all honesty. VWA always re-jiggles the specs of their cars after the first year. In 4 years we'll probably have an extra 3 models in addition to the GTI and R obviously...

pologti18t
26-04-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that every single Golf will get DAB+ radio,

DAB+ is not in the official Australian specs.

Golf7
26-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Oops, DAB is standard without the + What's the difference?

kbuvw
26-04-2013, 11:41 PM
DAB+ is the standard used for digital radio in Australia - most other countries use DAB only..

When you say "DAB is standard", is that on the international specs, or the Australian specs?

Ryan_R
27-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Also don't get confused by RDS (song and weather info displayed by certain radio stations, this isn't DAB+ and is available on Mk6 as well).

DAB was the first generation of digital audio broadcast radio which Europe and America launched... and we didn't. Subsequently a improved standard was released called DAB+ which Australia used. Only problem is DAB+ is not backwards compatible on DAB hardware, so Europe aren't in a big hurry to upgrade and make a lot of DAB radios redundant. Which means there isn't a lot of international support for DAB+.

Golf7
27-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Isn't the 90TSI with the dumbed down rear suspension?

Ps I read about dealers getting preorders for the A45 AMG. Do VW accept preorders for something like the GTI which is already selling in Europe?

I've said this about a million times to every person that I have met that knows about the new Golf. I've been mega pleased to tell them that every New MK.7 Golf in Australia comes with fully INDEPENDENT MULT-LINK rear suspension. GO VWA! You guys are sooooo awesome for offering the amazing 90TSI for just $21.5k!!! Why on earth anyone would buy the other models is another question... The 90TSI is SUPERB!

Ryan_R
27-04-2013, 03:33 PM
umm, because we want more POWER!!!! ?
& more features

Golf7
27-04-2013, 06:37 PM
umm, because we want more POWER!!!! ?
& more features

Go ahead it's all there! :) But it IS silly money to be honest and objectively not worth it. And the power difference is negligible, it's the same engine in a different state of tune. From standstill there's not much between them, only rolling acceleration is a bit stronger in the 103TSI. But here in OZ with our nanny states and ridiculous speed limits and roads, it's just not worth it. The 90TSI is such a sweetheart!

Ryan_R
27-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Waiting for the GTI ;)

Keep in mind my 118 is APR'd, so it's more like 151... 90 is a bit of a downgrade

AdamD
28-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Waiting for the GTI ;)

Keep in mind my 118 is APR'd, so it's more like 151... 90 is a bit of a downgrade

You're used to having more power Ryan... sure you don't want an R?

Ryan_R
28-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I'd like the new S3 tbh ;)

Gotta ration the upgrades though :)

Golf7
28-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I'd like the new S3 tbh ;)

Gotta ration the upgrades though :)

I sure wish I had enough free cash to throw at highly over-priced options to make my car MY car... :)

Ryan_R
28-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Didn't mean options, just meant a GTI this time, then maybe an R next time, and so on.

zoomda
28-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Under optional features:- "DAB+"

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-golf-7-gti-press-materials/

Whether we get it here remains to be seen though.

pologti18t
28-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Under optional features:- "DAB+"

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-golf-7-gti-press-materials/

Whether we get it here remains to be seen though.

The information below applies to the German-market GTI and the U.S. and your local version may differ in some respects. We provide the full press release below as a reference guide to the Golf 7 GTI.

DAB+ is pretty pointless in Australia due to its limited range. How much complaining would VW receive from owners about the signal dropping out in outer suburbs of major cities.

kbuvw
28-04-2013, 08:38 PM
[/I]

DAB+ is pretty pointless in Australia due to its limited range. How much complaining would VW receive from owners about the signal dropping out in outer suburbs of major cities.

I don't think that's enough of a reason to leave it out - over time I'm sure the signal will improve. And for those that are currently served fine, why should they miss out?

In any case, surely they wouldn't have DAB+ in place of FM - those in fringe areas can stick to FM until the coverage improves..

I might be underestimating the effort involved in incorporating DAB+ in a stereo, but I would have thought an additional receiver chip, some changes to the programming, and that'd be about it..

beachie1
29-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Had a drive on the weekend of a 90TSI Comfortline with DSG. Felt quite nippy.
Long winding hill out of Newcastle,at 80kmh,looked at dash, and was in 7th gear and more in reserve with only light throttle.
Rode well,very quiet on road. Talking with wife!

Golf7
30-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Had a drive on the weekend of a 90TSI Comfortline with DSG. Felt quite nippy.
Long winding hill out of Newcastle,at 80kmh,looked at dash, and was in 7th gear and more in reserve with only light throttle.
Rode well,very quiet on road. Talking with wife!

Mate it's the best new car on the market right now, regardless of price. :) A winner in every possible way!

Ryan_R
30-04-2013, 12:17 PM
You should get a job as a salesman Michal

tonymy01
30-04-2013, 12:29 PM
You should get a job as a salesman Michal
his posts read like he is already :)

Golf7
30-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Nope not a chance guys, I just love writing about cars, especially my beloved VW Golfs. :) Honestly I wouldn't mind selling Golfs to people but with all the opinions out there about salespeople best to stay away... I'm wanting to just start writing nice articles and reviews about cars, big hobby of mine. Maybe one day I can become a journo... Trust me on this one guys, you won't find a more obsessed, passionate Golf enthusiast than myself!

waxdass
30-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Nope not a chance guys, I just love writing about cars, especially my beloved VW Golfs. :) Honestly I wouldn't mind selling Golfs to people but with all the opinions out there about salespeople best to stay away... I'm wanting to just start writing nice articles and reviews about cars, big hobby of mine. Maybe one day I can become a journo... Trust me on this one guys, you won't find a more obsessed, passionate Golf enthusiast than myself!

Golf7,

Your obsessive golf posts so far would make me give caution to your car reviews...
I can already tell that you would be too biased to provide us with an honest review.
From what I've been reading through your posts so far... the golf 7 is pretty much perfect...

Ryan_R
30-04-2013, 07:21 PM
I agree, although to be honest, all the video reviews I've seen of this car feature the driver pausing for a few seconds while they try to think of some negatives.

He's equally as vocal about other cars on his blog, but I would recommend toning it down a bit to come across as more of an expert/professional. Perhaps experienced journalists find this easier because they've driven much more expensive cars before :)

MGV
30-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Nothing like a bit of constructive criticism...

Agree with Ryan & waxd.

kbuvw
30-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Agreed

Passionately writing about a car you like is fine, but your target audience must feel as though you are independent. Having seen this sort of thing before in other industries, someone looking at your posts could think that you were from a marketing firm doing some "social media" marketing for the Golf.

Golf7
30-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Agreed

Passionately writing about a car you like is fine, but your target audience must feel as though you are independent. Having seen this sort of thing before in other industries, someone looking at your posts could think that you were from a marketing firm doing some "social media" marketing for the Golf.

Can't help it guys, this car is just that good. OK fine, its styling is rather boring or should I say exuding class... :) Thanks for the advice guys, I'll just regurgitate the spec-sheet like everyone does, filling every line with puns and cliches... No seriously, I'll try and find some flaws in the car! Thanks for the tips!

Ryan_R
30-04-2013, 09:30 PM
hehe, rather than say "it's awesome" like you were reviewing a video game, perhaps try using the format xxxxxxxxx (feature) is xxxxxxxxxxxxx (good/bad/useful/unnecessary/etc) because xxxxxxxxxxxx (reason/real life scenario).

Golf7
30-04-2013, 09:40 PM
hehe, rather than say "it's awesome" like you were reviewing a video game, perhaps try using the format xxxxxxxxx (feature) is xxxxxxxxxxxxx (good/bad/useful/unnecessary/etc) because xxxxxxxxxxxx (reason/real life scenario).

A bit toooo enthusiastic I admit and a bit toooo over the top. But remember these aren't my reviews, merely just small snippets of praise for the Golf. And hey we're all VW enthusiasts here aren't we? I know you guys will love my review, well I hope so anyway... :)

Ryan_R
30-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Don't panic, you're not the only one :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w3e7UVwUzxQ

Golf7
01-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Don't panic, you're not the only one :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w3e7UVwUzxQ

And he's completely right! :) Great video! Those who have driven a Mk.7 will agree with me. :)

Ryan_R
01-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Test drove a 103TSI DSG Highline today, here are some points that have stayed in my mind (from the perspective of a MY10 118TSI owner):

Top-mounted accelerator pedal - great, very light on initial uptake (similar to the new Corolla I drove a few weeks ago), no more DSG lag at all when taking off at stand-still.

Auto stop/start. I had forgotten about this and when I was stopped I couldn't actually tell if the engine was stopped or not; when I accelerated the car started immediately with no real lag (at least no more lag than a Mk6 Golf DSG7 owner would be use to). I ended up turning the feature off but then every time I stopped, the MFD showed an eco-tip suggesting I turn it on, which covered all the other useful MFD parameters. I know there is a way to turn off these eco tips just like you can choose what other MFD screens you want (speed, fuel, distance, eco tips, etc) but I didn't bother looking for it.

Electronic handbrake seems fine to use, I don't think there will be any issues with it, but I haven't tested it extensively. The auto-hold is cool feature that I could see myself using. You press it once, then every time you come to a stop, you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the car won't move at all, no time limits as far as I could tell. As soon as you start to accelerate the brake is released. In theory then, if you also had the Driver Assist Pack, you could jump on the freeway in morning traffic and not have to press any pedals at all. Interestingly, if you have a look inside a Kia Optima Platinum it's electronic handbrake and auto-hold buttons look almost identical.

Power... better than the Mk6 90TSI Trendline, not as good as the Mk6 118TSI. Enough for the average driver, but I'd like more. Steering wheel buttons were a little hard to get used to and I found myself wanting to look at the wheel for too long while driving to figure it all out so I ignored it for the test drive. Easier to see the speedo through this wheel, if I sit in the best position and adjust the wheel in the Mk6, the top of the rim blocks it in my car (can't see beyond 60kph).

Comes with front + rear sensors, RVC, BT, NAV, etc which is great. Seats are nice. No option to upgrade to the Discover Media Pro which is disappointing, (losing features if upgrading from a car with RNS510). The very nice sales person confused RDS for DAB+ so I kindly corrected her.

Am I sold? Nope, only because there just isn't enough new stuff that my car can't already do to spend the money on upgrading, plus in a few areas I'd be downgrading. The sales person said I'd love the new car menu on the touchscreen, I was too nice to mention that I can already do all that with the Polar FIS (which btw I forgot to turn off dropping it off with VW today) or on my phone via the OBD port. Plus I'm not sure if I like the idea of passengers being able to change settings via the HU. So I'll be waiting for the GTI. For Mk5 or non-Golf owners though, it's looking hard to beat if you've got that sort of money to spend. Speaking of...

On road costs in VIC are as follows:

90 TSI Trendline (M6 / DSG7) - $24,983 / $27,555
90 TSI Comfortline (M6 / DSG7) - $28,585 / $31,163
103 TSI / 110 TDI Highline (DSG only) - $35,795 / $38,373

Options

Metallic/Pearl Paint (all models) - $500
Discover Media GPS (C'line only) - $950 (from what I can tell the system is the same, you're just buying the SD Card)
Anti Theft Alarm (C + H'line) - $600
Driver Assist Pack (C + H'line) - $1,300
Panoramic Roof (H'line) - $1,850
Vienna Leather (H'line) - $2,950
Bi-Xenon Headlights (H'line) - $2,150

Arnold
01-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Interesting review, Ryan. Not sure what the new TSI engines say about the future of VW's twin charger technology. Interesting too, that VW has lowered power output on its new mid-range models. That does not happen all that often in the auto world, and certainly not to as sizeable an extent as in this case.

The Mark VII GTI certainly seems to represent the single biggest incremental improvement to the GTI marque since the Mark V.

It is great to see VWA is retaining the 6MT for the GTI and 90TSI versions for purists, enthusiasts, the value-conscious and cheapskates, alike.

Ryan_R
01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
They've lowered weight as well though, but still the 103TSI is 8.4 seconds to 100kph compared to 8.0 for the 118TSI (or 6.6 if you've tuned it). After test driving the Mk7 I then drove the Mk6 90TSI loan car and instantly noticed the heavier/laggier accelerator pedal, less power at low revs (Mk7 is pretty decent at hiding any turbo lag), and of course as is already known from 2009 Mk6 reviews, the 90TSI rolls around a bit more. However I was quite surprised how the Mk6 90TSI requires a lot more steering input compared to my 118. Every time I went for a 90-degree turn I'd suddenly have to go hand-over-hand to make the turn, wasn't sure why it was so bad. In my car I could keep my hands glued at 9 & 3 o'clock. And of course the Mk7 is even better.

One other interesting change with the new DSG shifter is Sport mode. In the Mk6 you push the shift-unlock button in and move the lever down to engage S. In the Mk7, D and S share the same spot. To switch between them, you just pull back on the shifter (feels the same as down-shifting in Manual/Tiptronic mode) without pushing any buttons. A little weird but not too bad. I'd miss the satisfying loud click sound when you push the Mk6 shifter back out of Sport mode though.

I'm hoping the Discover Pro will be available on the GTI but don't know if VWA will include it or how much they'd charge us to have the online features (sounds like it would needs it's own sim card and provide a WiFi hotspot to your phone - I would've designed it the other way, to connect to the Internet via your phone). Google Maps would be much better than the Sensis maps we currently have. Otherwise hopefully there's a way to get Mirror Link working.

pologti18t
01-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Interesting review, Ryan. Not sure what the new TSI engines says about the future of VW's twin charger technology. Interesting too, that VW has lowered power output on its new mid-range models. That does not happen all that often in the auto world, and certainly not to as sizeable an extent as in this case..

I'd say that the twincharger tech is dead (it did arrive around 2005 - so 8yrs old). Once more VAG cars move to the MQB chassis (especially the Polo/Fabia/Ibiza) it will slowly vanish.

Apparently there is a 1.6L version of the new 1.4 in the pipeline - normally aspirated for developing markets. No reason they can't slap a turbo on that to get a 130kw+ motor.

Ryan_R
01-05-2013, 10:23 PM
There were also plans for them to make an electric and/or Hybrid Golf a few years later that would be around 130kW

Golf7
02-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Great review Ryan, glad to see you enjoyed the car. I can see where your coming from and in your case I wouldn't bother changing my car just yet. With the MK. 6 being so accomplished and so darn polished, I don't think it would be worth buying the MK. 7, even if it is a truly remarkable car. And yes, VW is once again a step ahead of everyone by not putting more power in but instead concentrating on fuel efficiency. The Hybrid will be in Europe in about a year and the electric variant shortly thereafter. Oh and the Twincharger is ver, very dead. :( Oh and I forgot to add that I don't think that I'm quite as crazy as the guy in the last video... :)

pologti18t
02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
There were also plans for them to make an electric and/or Hybrid Golf a few years later that would be around 130kW

They have a hybrid Jetta in the States. I assume it will slot in easily in the Golf/Leon/Octavia chassis. 1.4T + Electric motor + 7 DSG.

Here are comparative specs:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-6

The performance figures are quite acceptable - in gear its better than a diesel.

Jimi
02-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm hoping the Discover Pro will be available on the GTI but don't know if VWA will include it or how much they'd charge us to have the online features (sounds like it would needs it's own sim card and provide a WiFi hotspot to your phone - I would've designed it the other way, to connect to the Internet via your phone). Google Maps would be much better than the Sensis maps we currently have. Otherwise hopefully there's a way to get Mirror Link working.

I think Golf7 threw up the standard spec list for the GTI in another thread and Discover Pro was on there (I was disappointed that PP had to be bundled with 19s)

When is all of that supposed to be made official?

Golf7
02-05-2013, 02:43 PM
I think Golf7 threw up the standard spec list for the GTI in another thread and Discover Pro was on there (I was disappointed that PP had to be bundled with 19s)

When is all of that supposed to be made official?

Here in Oz? When the car arrives down under! About August...

Ryan_R
02-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Haha, so now I've heard August, September, November and December concerning GTI availability in Australia

macdub
02-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Haha, so now I've heard August, September, November and December concerning GTI availability in Australia

and I've been told October so that completes August-December :confused:

Golf7
02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
and I've been told October so that completes August-December :confused:

It all depends on what Volkswagen Australia decide in all of their almighty wisdom...

kbuvw
02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Just noticed the latest Das Auto magazine that arrived this week mentions that the bi-xenons are standard on high line models, which is obviously not the case. Wonder if they ill throw them in if I mention that?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/a8u6azy9-1.jpg

Golf7
02-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Just noticed the latest Das Auto magazine that arrived this week mentions that the bi-xenons are standard on high line models, which is obviously not the case. Wonder if they ill throw them in if I mention that?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/a8u6azy9-1.jpg

Um... This might be quite embarrassing for you but, do you see the word "optional"???

zoomda
02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Um... This might be quite embarrassing for you but, do you see the word "optional"???

Err no, it says they are both standard on Highline models. So optional for the other models, standard on Highline.

kbuvw
02-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Not embarrassing for me as I read the whole thing which clearly says "both standard on high line models".

I interpreted it the same way as zoomda did, optional on base models, standard on high line.

Golf7
02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Not embarrassing for me as I read the whole thing which clearly says "both standard on high line models".

I interpreted it the same way as zoomda did, optional on base models, standard on high line.

Just playing with you guys, I noticed that too, big stuff up by the guys at VW. Have a look at the brochure, the 90TSI apparently comes with a 6 speed DSG or a 7 speed one and the seat trims are from the old Mk.6. This is what happens guys when we have people who couldn't care less about cars put these things together...

Davefonzi
05-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi all,
Since I am just about to order a golf 7, I thought I'd get some opinions on the options available. From sunroof to floor mats, what's worthwhile? Favourite paint colour (I can't decide), wheels, etc.
My personal question is Bi Xenons! Any one got them on their 7? Worth the cash? Any photos?
Cheers
Dave

Golf7
05-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi all,
Since I am just about to order a golf 7, I thought I'd get some opinions on the options available. From sunroof to floor mats, what's worthwhile? Favourite paint colour (I can't decide), wheels, etc.
My personal question is Bi Xenons! Any one got them on their 7? Worth the cash? Any photos?
Cheers
Dave

Hey Dave,

The xenons are not yet available as options I believe... They'll be available in Australia in about 3 months. Go for the mats obviously, but thats about it. The Highline is nicely kitted out but in my opinion a waste of money... Oh and get one in the dark grey metallic, it looks sweet!

beachie1
05-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I like the Sunset Red colour on swatch but yet to see one .The $1300 pkge inc. satnav,adaptive cruise etc looks worthwhile.
Regards
Beachie1

pomme
05-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Xenons are a must for me on any car now. Had them on golf... standard on scirocco otherwise I would have optioned them. They just look so much better. Brilliant visibility as well... worth every penny.

Ryan_R
05-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Between the sunset red and night blue imo, also since they weren't available as Mk6 colours here so they'll stand out more. I'd also get the $1300 driver assistance package, for the radar cruise control mainly. With that + the auto hold feature I'd like to think peak hour start stop traffic would be less annoying.

I've never had Xenons but they do look great, the question is are they worth the ~$2000 (how much night driving do you do)?

Since my Mk6 is well specced there's not much point looking at the current Mk7 range, so my plan is to wait until the GTI Performance edition arrives and see what other options come along with it.

pologti18t
06-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I've never had Xenons but they do look great, the question is are they worth the ~$2000 (how much night driving do you do)?

I don't think they are worth it... you also have to factor in the cost of replacement bulbs and any increase in insurance premiums (yes it does affect them)

VW's pricing of this option suggest its just there for the zealots who demand them, but priced so high that hardly anyone will bother ordering them.

Ryan_R
06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I would've hoped the bulb replacement would only be a 2nd-hand owner problem - didn't think about the insurance increase though. GTI has them standard iirc, but then it also has the radar/auto-emergency-brake which should help reduce premiums.

DoggieHowser
06-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I don't think the xenons are overpriced. They aren't particularly cheap in Singapore or the UK if you try to add them one off.

What the Singaporean distributor did was to add an Equipment pack which threw in sun/moonroof plus discover pro plus Vienna leather plus sports suspension plus a bunch of other stuff along with the xenon option and negotiated a better deal for the entire package for a large-ish order.

The xenon option was about 4k (S$) while the EQP was around 7k!

zardoz
06-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Had a brief look at the mark 7 highline while dropping off my mark 6 for some urgent repair. Love the new interior but moving from the RNS510 to the 5.8" system is a downgrade and I'm not terribly happy about that. I'm told the Discover Pro isn't available as an option and it can't be dealer retrofitted. Graphics were NOT smooth on the 5.8 and the display was low resolution and contrast. The two SD card slots are SDXC capable and nav data is stored on one of them in lieu of the HDD in the RNS510. The highline with driver assistance looks pretty decent - and interesting to see a panoramic sunroof is now available on the hatch. Apparently there will be a premium sound/factory subwoofer add-on coming as it can be a dealer fitted accessory.

Not sure if the MFD was black and white or colour.

The steering wheel is thinner than the 6. Did anyone notice that? Does anybody like/dislike this change?

No word on the availability of the wagon. Here's hoping it becomes available before my car runs out of warranty...

Davefonzi
06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with the 6 but I though the steering wheel on the 7 was quite nice. Three On my Previous cars have had momo's fitted and its comparable.
It's a bit of a bummer that we don't get the discover pro in aust, why it it that we get downgraded?
Ticket price on a TDI with the xenons, sunroof, and assist pack is in the area of $45k o/r. It looks like I'd be better off waiting for the GTD and get the sunroof if it comes with the other kit as standard.
One last thing, is it really 3 months before the xenons a come in? neither dealership mentioned that to me.

Davefonzi
06-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Hey Dave,

The xenons are not yet available as options I believe... They'll be available in Australia in about 3 months. Go for the mats obviously, but thats about it. The Highline is nicely kitted out but in my opinion a waste of money... Oh and get one in the dark grey metallic, it looks sweet!

Yeah that's my fav colour so far too.
Are you saying that the hightline is a waste of money or the xenons?

Golf7
06-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Yeah that's my fav colour so far too.
Are you saying that the hightline is a waste of money or the xenons?

Both to be honest I think, in the case of the Mk.7 at the moment it's best to buy base and use the extra cash leftover to go on a nice holiday... The Highline just can't justify its price difference over the brilliant base 90TSI. But if you've got the cash, why not. And as I said, you can't get the xenons yet. That colour is just to die for, makes the Golf's clean lines really stand out, looks really sharp...

Davefonzi
06-05-2013, 08:44 PM
The problem is that im after the TDI which seems to only be available in the highline.

Golf7
06-05-2013, 09:29 PM
The problem is that im after the TDI which seems to only be available in the highline.

Why would you go for the diesel??? It burns 0.3litres less than the 103TSI, is slower to the ton. It adds A LOT of weight over the front axle, dulls agility and front end precision, isn't as smooth as the petrols, not as rev-able, nor as sweet as its petrol counterparts. It's not a bad engine in itself, quite brilliant actually but how could you go past those amazing petrols? And imagine what you could do with the left-over cash... :)

tonymy01
06-05-2013, 09:35 PM
when my car was being serviced,I had a Passat tdi Bluemotion diesel, and it felt awesome, so drivable and so much low rpm grunt. In fact,I wonder if it would give the R a good traffic light drag (no high rpm clutch dump/ launch, of course the R would have it then if the driveline doesn't fall in bits on the road).

Davefonzi
06-05-2013, 10:09 PM
There's just something about the TDI and its low end torque. What I find interesting is that the GTD will be even more economical.

Golf7
07-05-2013, 12:13 PM
There's just something about the TDI and its low end torque. What I find interesting is that the GTD will be even more economical.

Mind you the TSI's get all of their torque on tap from around 1400rpm. ALL of it. Very impressive!

Davefonzi
07-05-2013, 03:55 PM
It sounds like I should give it a try next weekend.
When I tested the TDI it had the driving profile selection. There was a feature to adjust the ACC, which turns out to be adaptive cruise control not adaptive chassis control. What would the effect be in regards to sport, eco, etc. with cruise control.

Ryan_R
07-05-2013, 04:06 PM
DCC = Dynamic Chassis Control iirc (= if I recall correctly) :)

Ideo
07-05-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't think they are worth it... you also have to factor in the cost of replacement bulbs and any increase in insurance premiums (yes it does affect them)

VW's pricing of this option suggest its just there for the zealots who demand them, but priced so high that hardly anyone will bother ordering them.

They are worth it if you ever go west of Penriff or north of Hornsby.

The difference between xenon and non-xenon for country night driving is huge. And easily worth the money.

Mountainman
07-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Mind you the TSI's get all of their torque on tap from around 1400rpm. ALL of it. Very impressive!
Yeah, all 200Nm of it in the 90TSI. The diesel has 320Nm at similar revs and you can sure feel the difference. Owning one and driving the other that belongs to a friend, I would never talk someone out of the diesel if they were thinking of purchasing it. In the real world there is more than .3L/100km difference in them too. I am a fan of the sweet, smooth petrol feel and sound though.

DoggieHowser
09-05-2013, 01:54 AM
Say is the reverse camera on the Comfort/Highline RVC or RVC+?

NEW VW GOLF 7 1.4 TSI BlueMotion Highline ParkPilot & Rückfahrkamera [10/13] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpj2c6GgFkE&list=HL1368028372)

From the youtube video, it appears to be RVC only in the Europe specs?

Ryan_R
09-05-2013, 09:02 AM
What's the + version?

afaik the only possible improvement you can make is getting the Park Pilot feature where the car parks itself, besides that the camera, sensors and screen are pretty much all the same. (Park Pilot may come with extra/better sensors)

DoggieHowser
09-05-2013, 10:13 AM
RVC+ the lines turn with the steering wheel.

Ryan_R
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Ah ok, I thought they were only for larger cars (nothing different about the actual camera, it's actually a steering wheel module)

buddy03
15-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Just about to purchase the 103tsi and noticed that in the contract the build plate is dated Dec 2012. Is this ok or would this affect the resale value of the car? I was expecting the build date to be 2013 at least.

Ryan_R
15-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Some may mind, some won't. Being one of the first MK7's will probably be a bigger factor later on.

davo
15-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Just about to purchase the 103tsi and noticed that in the contract the build plate is dated Dec 2012. Is this ok or would this affect the resale value of the car? I was expecting the build date to be 2013 at least.

We just sold our Mk5 TDI. It was purchased in Feb 2008 and officially MY08, but build date was August 2007. When getting it valued for trade-in on our new car the dealer claimed that the 2007 build date reduced the trade-in price by a few hundred dollars. However, we ended up selling it privately and I don't think the buyers really cared. YMMV, of course.

pologti18t
15-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Ask for more $$$ off the price or something to sweeten the deal. It will affect (to some extent) the resale later on.

Alex31
29-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Has anyone heard if its possible to get the discover media pro for the golf mrk7?? I see its an option everywhere else but Australia... I would love to get it optioned for the golf I'm about to buy...

VUU
29-05-2013, 08:57 PM
In all of the official Australian specs that I have seen, the Discover pro is not listed as an option. Current rumours on the Aus GTI specs suggest it will be standard (?)

Golf7
30-05-2013, 12:47 PM
The fact that the normal ones don't have it is to differentiate the normal Golfs from the GTI a bit more...

Ryan_R
30-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Maybe in a year or two (MY14, MY15) they might make it available as an option ???

Davefonzi
30-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Does anyone know if we get DAB?

Golf7
30-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Maybe in a year or two (MY14, MY15) they might make it available as an option ???

Hopefully, trouble is that in the meantime we can't really just swap the normal units with the Discover Pro. Actually, it's impossible, due to the new electronics needed and quite a few changes to the dashboard itself. I remember from the cutaway that the dashboard cross-member is actually slightly different as well. The system can only be fitted in the factory unfortunately...

Golf7
30-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Does anyone know if we get DAB?

Don't think so, nope.

Davefonzi
01-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Some of the promo videos show the golf with some rims that look like the golf R rims. Does anyone know what they are and if they are available in Aust? I think I've I've attached the link below. http://youtu.be/GV8DyOFGPGA

spikeyboy22
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Some of the promo videos show the golf with some rims that look like the golf R rims. Does anyone know what they are and if they are available in Aust? I think I've I've attached the link below. Golf 7 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/GV8DyOFGPGA)

Hi Davefonzi,

I have been trying to work out the same, they are either Durban 18 inch or Mardrid 17 inch, both from what I see are only overseas, I have asked the dealers, but they have no idea ..

Davefonzi
01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
The Dijons are nice but those wheels look amazing. I would like to track some down somehow.

Kill_Bill
26-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Hi Guys

Just wondering if it's possible to option up the base model Mk 7 Golf with Sat Nav and if so at what cost? I've seen a $950 figure used when upgrading the Comfortline with this option, but just wanted to confirm this was the case with the base model too?

Cheers

Kb.

Mountainman
26-06-2013, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=Kill_Bill;966285]Hi Guys

Just wondering if it's possible to option up the base model Mk 7 Golf with Sat Nav and if so at what cost? I've seen a $950 figure used when upgrading the Comfortline with this option, but just wanted to confirm this was the case with the base model too?
Kb.[QUOTE]

No according to the VW specs sheets. Can't have the xenons, sunroof, alarm system, driver assist package or leather either but I'd imagine most base model buyers would have gone for at least the Comfortline if they were interested in those features. As a base model owner the only one of those options I would have considered is the xenons but not at the $2000+ price. They are actually priced at more than 10% of the base price of a 90 TSI. In fact all of those options together would get you close to the total base model price.

Kill_Bill
27-06-2013, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=Kill_Bill;966285]Hi Guys

Kb.[QUOTE]

No according to the VW specs sheets. Can't have the xenons, sunroof, alarm system, driver assist package or leather either but I'd imagine most base model buyers would have gone for at least the Comfortline if they were interested in those features. As a base model owner the only one of those options I would have considered is the xenons but not at the $2000+ price. They are actually priced at more than 10% of the base price of a 90 TSI. In fact all of those options together would get you close to the total base model price.

Thanks for the info :) Sucks though, was looking forward to getting inbuilt GPS, but not if it's going to cost me 3-4k minimum over and above the base model price...

Ryan_R
27-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Pair your phone with the car bluetooth and use Google Navigation - the spoken instructions will play through the car stereo (tested on Galaxy S2 + S3 4G)

Mr Spitfire
28-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Hi Folks,

Can someone confirm please if you order the leather on the Highline, does that include heated front seats?

And is the Dynaudio Audio upgrade avalable as an option as well?

And the 8" screen, or will these options be exclusive to the GTI?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew...

Eaglehawk
28-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Leather has heated seats.

No audio upgrade. No 8" screen upgrade.

Mr Spitfire
28-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks Eaglehawk

stat71
07-07-2013, 09:25 PM
No Dyna Audio upgrade available

Yes - leather comes with heated front seats

AdamD
08-07-2013, 08:58 AM
No Dyna Audio upgrade available

That would be Dynaudio (http://www.dynaudio.com/int/car_hifi/index.php).

hibijibis
15-08-2013, 04:12 PM
hey guys. just took a 110tdi for a test drive. very nice mid range pull for sure. some bits on the steering wheel are a bit plasticky, but overall seems like a good package.

i see the cheapest on carsales is 34990. what sorta prices having ppl been getting for their 110tdi? also for anyone who has driven both, is diesel worth the extra premium?

thanks yo!

jdbrown1953
17-08-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm disappointed that the 110 TDI Highline does not have an option for paddles on the steering wheel. I'm considering getting one of these as a replacement wheel
VW GOLF MK 7 - VII - DSG - Black Line - Flat Bottom - 5G0419091 M / T / ACC (http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-golf-mk-7-vii-dsg-black-line-flat-bottom-5g0419091-m-t-acc,id558.html)

cathaldinneen
17-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm disappointed that the 110 TDI Highline does not have an option for paddles on the steering wheel. I'm considering getting one of these as a replacement wheel
VW GOLF MK 7 - VII - DSG - Black Line - Flat Bottom - 5G0419091 M / T / ACC (http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-golf-mk-7-vii-dsg-black-line-flat-bottom-5g0419091-m-t-acc,id558.html)

I agree, it's the biggest disappointment for me too. I never use the sequential option on the DSG, but the paddles which are standard in the UK, would make driving a lot more fun. Would fitting this wheel screw your warranty ?

readerr0r
17-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Would fitting this wheel screw your warranty ?

Only for the wheel and perhaps the airbag on the wheel (even though you use the one from the original wheel)

cathaldinneen
17-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Only for the wheel and perhaps the airbag on the wheel (even though you use the one from the original wheel)

I'd love to get it done, but I'm worried about the warranty and if anything went wrong with the DSG that the dealer would say that "...you added a modification to the gearbox and that it's not covered by Australian Warranty"

Cost ? $500 ~ to buy the wheel, but who would fit it for you ? Any VAG mechanic ?

Ryan_R
17-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I've done it on the Mk6, the problem is the paddles are so tiny that you can only reach them when the wheel is straight and/or if you drive with your hands glued at 9 & 3 o'clock. Which is why it didn't take me long to spend more money on DSG extension paddles that attach to the original ones.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/flappy-paddles-steering-wheel-tiguan-56968-2.html#post721694

jdbrown1953
17-08-2013, 01:49 PM
I've done it on the Mk6, the problem is the paddles are so tiny that you can only reach them when the wheel is straight and/or if you drive with your hands glued at 9 & 3 o'clock. Which is why it didn't take me long to spend more money on DSG extension paddles that attach to the original ones.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/flappy-paddles-steering-wheel-tiguan-56968-2.html#post721694

Was it "plug and play" or did you have to fiddle with VAG COM

Eaglehawk
17-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Was it "plug and play" or did you have to fiddle with VAG COM

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/flappy-paddles-steering-wheel-tiguan-56968.html#post642563

Fiddle required, at least on their Tiguan, but someone needs to try it right? :)

jdbrown1953
18-08-2013, 08:14 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/flappy-paddles-steering-wheel-tiguan-56968.html#post642563

Fiddle required, at least on their Tiguan, but someone needs to try it right? :)

Thanks, looks like a big job. Needs a lot more thought.

Ryan_R
18-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Used VCDS to enabled the paddles on the steering wheel module and clear an airbag-disconnect fault code

readerr0r
18-08-2013, 12:31 PM
I'd love to get it done, but I'm worried about the warranty and if anything went wrong with the DSG that the dealer would say that "...you added a modification to the gearbox and that it's not covered by Australian Warranty"

Cost ? $500 ~ to buy the wheel, but who would fit it for you ? Any VAG mechanic ?

My friend put a mk6 wheel on a mk5! Service people didnt even bat an eyelid. So I highly doubt they'd even notice that the TDI isn't meant to have flappy paddles.

It's pretty easy if you've got the right tools, took my friend a night and then I helped him with the vcds coding.

cathaldinneen
05-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks, looks like a big job. Needs a lot more thought.

Did you have any more thought on this ?? :P

jdbrown1953
05-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Did you have any more thought on this ?? :P

I'm going to leave the steering wheel for a while, but will probably go ahead and get the OEM LED tail lights from them when the cash reserves are in better shape

jdbrown1953
05-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Check out VWA's website. There has been a price drop on the new golf. The 110 TDI Highline has dropped almost 3k. Others have also dropped in price, but I can not ascertain by how much

Alex31
05-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Check out VWA's website. There has been a price drop on the new golf. The 110 TDI Highline has dropped almost 3k. Others have also dropped in price, but I can not ascertain by how much

Wow I just looked that up its true. I better get the discount. All I have done is put down a deposit. They better pass on the discount!! Or heads will roll

Ryan_R
05-09-2013, 06:40 PM
So who's still going to be one of the first to grab a GTI - they might play the same trick when the Performance Edition and/or R launch down here

readerr0r
05-09-2013, 07:08 PM

It's part of the Volksfest driveaway deals thingy and its for all their models. The trendline polo manual is driveaway for $1000 less than its retail price! Thats about 4K!

Davefonzi
17-09-2013, 09:10 AM
It's part of the Volksfest driveaway deals thingy and its for all their models. The trendline polo manual is driveaway for $1000 less than its retail price! Thats about 4K!

I wonder if this leaves any room for further negotiations.

applegen
27-09-2013, 03:55 PM
I just found out that overseas' model has LED tail lights with the bi-xenon options and they look great! I added the same option and am sad that our specs here are different. :(

Jimi
27-09-2013, 06:55 PM
I don't think you can get the LED tail lights at all in this country. It'll be the only aftermarket thing I add to mine when I get it mid next year (hopefully)

applegen
27-09-2013, 08:33 PM
I don't think you can get the LED tail lights at all in this country. It'll be the only aftermarket thing I add to mine when I get it mid next year (hopefully)

it looks so good on the GTI. been toying with the idea of changing them aftermarket too.........that's when i get my car, whenever that will be :facepalm:

pepsimax
01-10-2013, 01:39 AM
this seems a little worrying I seem, no 3door gti's hmmm:facepalm:
Volkswagen drops three-door Golf GTI – Car Reviews, News & Advice - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2013/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/volkswagen-drops-three-door-golf-gti-39151)

Ryan_R
01-10-2013, 08:08 AM
How is it worrying? They dropped it a few years ago, and none of us were expecting them to be back for the Mk7.

pologti18t
01-10-2013, 10:48 AM
How is it worrying? They dropped it a few years ago, and none of us were expecting them to be back for the Mk7.

If you look at the competitors (125i, a250, Focus), none of them offer a 3 door in this market.

AdamD
29-10-2013, 08:58 PM
The R-Line package has been officially released in Australia for the Golf in Highline spec (103TSI Highline and 110TDI Highline).

Here are the details:

Price: $2200

Technical:
• Progressive steering
• Sports suspension, lowered approximately 15mm

Exterior:
• R-Line badge in radiator grille
• Dark tinted rear side and rear window glass, 65% light absorbing
• 18x7.5” ‘Salvador’ alloy wheels in grey metallic with 225/40 R18 tyres (4)
• R-Line front bumper with front spoiler and large lower air intake
• Widened side sill extensions
• Rear bumper with black sports diffuser
• Rear roof spoiler

Interior:
• Comfort sports seats in ‘Race’ cloth with ‘San Remo’ micro fibre side bolsters
• Aluminium finish accelerator and brake pedals
• Leather covered sports steering with R-Line badge and gearshift paddles
• ‘Black Lead Grey’ decorative inlays in dashboard and doors
• Black headlining
• Aluminium finish front door scuff plates

The package is not available in conjunction with leather seats.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/6144d1383044293-mk7-golf-australian-specifications-prices-base-comfortline-highline-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/6145d1383044297-mk7-golf-australian-specifications-prices-base-comfortline-highline-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/6146d1383044303-mk7-golf-australian-specifications-prices-base-comfortline-highline-3.jpg

Ryan_R
29-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Surprised to see it brought down here. Looks nice but I don't think it deserves the R badge with only 103-110kW

AdamD
30-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Surprised to see it brought down here. Looks nice but I don't think it deserves the R badge with only 103-110kW

Well, the badge does say "R-Line". ;) But yeah, I agree, cheapens the R brand image somewhat.

Still, seems like pretty good value to me. Add this (and a stage 1 tune) to your 110TDI and you're not too far off a GTD.

b c
30-10-2013, 09:07 AM
and once again the "R-line" photos include bi-xenons - an optional extra...

pologti18t
30-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Well, the badge does say "R-Line". ;) But yeah, I agree, cheapens the R brand image somewhat.

Similar marketing to BMW and the M sport range ( as opposed to the M3, M5 etc)

Seems good value for what you get extra.

Dux
30-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Man I like the look of this. Don't need GTI-level performance in the city, but I do appreciate a lot of the advanced features and sporty look.

and once again the "R-line" photos include bi-xenons - an optional extra...

All manufacturers do this. Nothing Special.

phaeton
31-10-2013, 06:35 AM
I knew Touareg R-Line was just the beginning :D

Expect others to come here to Polo, Passat, Tiguan etc.

jdbrown1953
01-11-2013, 11:25 AM
The R-Line package has been officially released in Australia for the Golf in Highline spec

Is this for Australia? I have looked at news releases etc and talked to my dealer ( who claims that he is not aware of this ) and can't find any other confirmation.

Arnold
01-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Why is there only a $1000 difference in on road price between the auto and manual 90TSI?

pologti18t
01-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Why is there only a $1000 difference in on road price between the auto and manual 90TSI?

Special drive away pricing to clear 90TSI and 110TDI stock? The Comfortline and Highline have reverted to full drive away pricing.

Arnold
02-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Yes, but why is there only a $1000 difference between auto and manual 90TSIs?

Diesel_vert
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Yes, but why is there only a $1000 difference between auto and manual 90TSIs?

Metallic paint is included in the advertised driveaway price of the 90TSI manual, unlike the 90TSI DSG.

GeckoZAO
04-11-2013, 12:59 AM
back in August, the price of TSI vs. TDI was like $2500 difference, and then in volksfest sale was $500 difference, and now its only $14 difference...so unfair:facepalm:
good time for those who wants to get TDI though.

Transporter
04-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Why would that be unfair?
The M-B doesn't discriminate and charge the same price for their diesel models, in some, diesel is even cheaper than petrol. :)

ziggyboy
04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Bigger question is why they've done this? No interest on the TDI?

Eaglehawk
04-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Bigger question is why they've done this? No interest on the TDI?

Next to the price of the 110TDI...

**Driveaway Prices (on vehicle(s) as shown) available on new stock vehicles only. Available at participating dealers for new stock vehicles sold and delivered between 1st November and 31st December 2013. While stocks last. Not available in conjunction with any other offer or with Volkswagen’s Corporate, Corporate Plus, Rental or Government assistance programs. Volkswagen Group Australia reserves the right to change or extend the offer.

ziggyboy
04-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Next to the price of the 110TDI...

**Driveaway Prices (on vehicle(s) as shown) available on new stock vehicles only. Available at participating dealers for new stock vehicles sold and delivered between 1st November and 31st December 2013. While stocks last. Not available in conjunction with any other offer or with Volkswagen’s Corporate, Corporate Plus, Rental or Government assistance programs. Volkswagen Group Australia reserves the right to change or extend the offer.

I noticed that as well. Still curious why they would do this specifically to the TDI. In my experience manufacturers usually discount all models or at least the lower end ones. For example it would have been totally expected if they discounted all petrol models, and leave out TDI and GTI at full prices. What they've done is made the TSI and TDI prices identical, which is unusual, because buyers will likely just go for the TDI.

Another observation in threads is that the TDI fuel consumption is far from stellar compared to the new TSI engines, and considering diesel fuel and diesel maintenance being more expensive, it might actually be cheaper to run the TSI models. Only reason anyone would buy TDI is if you need the extra torque.

GeckoZAO
04-11-2013, 01:28 PM
I noticed that as well. Still curious why they would do this specifically to the TDI. In my experience manufacturers usually discount all models or at least the lower end ones. For example it would have been totally expected if they discounted all petrol models, and leave out TDI and GTI at full prices. What they've done is made the TSI and TDI prices identical, which is unusual, because buyers will likely just go for the TDI.

Another observation in threads is that the TDI fuel consumption is far from stellar compared to the new TSI engines, and considering diesel fuel and diesel maintenance being more expensive, it might actually be cheaper to run the TSI models. Only reason anyone would buy TDI is if you need the extra torque.

when i bougt my tsi there was $500 difference only, and i still went for tsi.
1stly, i do only less than 15000km each year
2ndly, i've heard people say short trips arent good for diesel engines, pollutant filter in particular. (not sure if its true)
i find 250nm torque is quite enough though.

Ryan_R
04-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Yes to benefit from TDI you need to be doing long trips, otherwise you are losing money on higher servicing costs.

Brendan_A
04-11-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't think your correct about servicing costs Being higher on a tdi Ryan.

My tdi Jetta doesn't cost anymore then my 118tsi Golf to service. The only time it did cost more was when the diesel fuel filter was changed. Not sure how much the petrol filter is?

Diesel_vert
04-11-2013, 02:33 PM
The overriding reason why the case for the 2.0L 110TDI does not stack up as well as the 1.4L 103TSI is mostly down to the latter's significant decrease in fuel consumption compared to the previous generation of petrol vs. diesel offerings.

I'll overlook the fact that we're not exactly comparing apples with apples (i.e. 2.0L vs 1.4L) for the moment. Bigger engines will consume more fuel, all things considered, so the 110TDI is at a disadvantage in this comparison (VWA are yet to offer the 1.6L 77TDI/81TDI here), but seeing how that's the only diesel offering here, we'll have to make do for now.

The smaller the difference in fuel consumption, the more distance you need to cover to offset the higher purchase price. These days, many vehicle manufacturers are sparing no expense in improving the fuel efficiency of petrol engines.

The price of premium unleaded fluctuates significantly in Sydney, but on average, tends to more expensive than diesel. The gap is bigger in Europe, which allows European motorists to recoup the purchase price difference more quickly.

Routine servicing costs between the TSI and TDI engines are more or less equivalent. The diesel doesn't require spark plugs, but needs to have the fuel filter replaced, so it evens out. Both engines have the same engine oil requirements (504.00/507.00), although you have the option of using 502.00 for petrol engines (which is sometimes cheaper, but not always). Both engines have the same service intervals (15 000 km or 12 months).

The TDI is fitted with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which does not last forever, but I would expect it to last 200 000 km (give or take) before the thing is physically clogged up with ash in the Mk7 Golf (my feeling is that the DPF lasts longer with every new generational release, as manufacturers further refine the engine and emissions system).

All engines are driven by a cambelt (except for the 2.0 TSI engine in the GTI - and possibly the R, but yet to confirm).

Any significant differences in servicing costs will be determined by whether or not the engine is mated to a wet-clutch 6-speed DSG, which requires a fluid change every 60 000 km (unlike the dry-clutch 7-speed DSG, which does not require a fluid change).