PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Recommendations

NGOLF.U
12-09-2007, 10:10 PM
has anyone fitted an alarm to a gti, will it affect the remote key that the gti's come with?

due to some unfortunate mishaps, plans for further mods will stop until a decent alarm is fitted.

gpk_gti
12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
are u worried about someone pinching the car or damaging the car?

you cant steal a golf because of the proximity chip inside the key.
if you are worried about someone damaging the car,thats a different story.

I used to care for alarms,but no one ever pays attention to them.I now make sure I have really good insurance cover and ,if its damaged or stolen,well my insurance will cover it.

NGOLF.U
12-09-2007, 10:26 PM
yeh thats wat i was thinking....had a bad weekend with a few boys sitting on my car while it was parked infront of a bar. if i had an alarm maybe it would have prevented a few bruises.
best thing...avoid taking my car anywhere!

gpk_gti
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
alarms do nothing in my experience mate! this is why I now have a stealth plain old mk2.......;)

SoVeReIgN
12-09-2007, 11:20 PM
yeh thats wat i was thinking....had a bad weekend with a few boys sitting on my car while it was parked infront of a bar. if i had an alarm maybe it would have prevented a few bruises.
best thing...avoid taking my car anywhere!

Sounds like an interesting story - do tell..

NGOLF.U
13-09-2007, 08:30 AM
heh.. long story short...

asked the boys who were sitting on my bonnet to get off (all with no intention to cause any trouble) and they ignored me until i asked the 2nd time and one of them told me it was a piece of sh*t, while the others started to push me around. then one thing lead to another and a brawl broke out all because of my car.
they will probably think twice now before they sit on some1's car again.

99gti
13-09-2007, 09:07 AM
This does sound like an interesting story but probably one best not told on here. Thankfully it sounds as though you came out of the altercation ok.

SoVeReIgN
13-09-2007, 09:38 AM
heh.. long story short...

asked the boys who were sitting on my bonnet to get off (all with no intention to cause any trouble) and they ignored me until i asked the 2nd time and one of them told me it was a piece of sh*t, while the others started to push me around. then one thing lead to another and a brawl broke out all because of my car.
they will probably think twice now before they sit on some1's car again.

Nice.

I had a very similar thing happen with my old car (with ~$5000 worth of stereo in it).. luckily for me and unluckily for them I had about 8 mates walking around the corner 30seconds behind me. :D

But anyway, Alarm probably wouldnt do much in that situation (generally they aren't sensitive enough out of the box, and if you set it to be sensitive enough every excel with a cannon that drives past it will set it off)... Well unless the alarm has a panic mode so you can set it off when you see whats going on.

With the audi, in the past if people are too close/looking around i'll flick the lock door on the remote and all the lights will flash.. Gets the message across.

Cache
13-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Poor car :(!

Atleast you got out of the situation okay, hopefully they didnt eh?

I dont have a car alarm in mine, all you need is a immobiliser (which our cars have stock) and a good insurance plan (Anyone else covered for 26k in a mk4?)

Cheers

SoVeReIgN
13-09-2007, 03:12 PM
(Anyone else covered for 26k in a mk4?)

Cheers

My brothers (stock) mk4 GTI is covered for $32k!

BlackVr6ix
13-09-2007, 03:12 PM
If you really want an alarm think about a factory upgrade. Viper do a nice one, give your local Autobarn a call. they'll sort you out, if not PM me.

BlackVr6ix
13-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Nice.

I had a very similar thing happen with my old car (with ~$5000 worth of stereo in it).. luckily for me and unluckily for them I had about 8 mates walking around the corner 30seconds behind me. :D

But anyway, Alarm probably wouldnt do much in that situation (generally they aren't sensitive enough out of the box, and if you set it to be sensitive enough every excel with a cannon that drives past it will set it off)... Well unless the alarm has a panic mode so you can set it off when you see whats going on.

With the audi, in the past if people are too close/looking around i'll flick the lock door on the remote and all the lights will flash.. Gets the message across.

Thats why i love microwave and tilt sensors. If you sit on my golf it goes ape :D

NGOLF.U
13-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Poor car :(!

Atleast you got out of the situation okay, hopefully they didnt eh?

I dont have a car alarm in mine, all you need is a immobiliser (which our cars have stock) and a good insurance plan (Anyone else covered for 26k in a mk4?)

Cheers

32k is huge...

im insured for 29k

geoff_gti
15-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I've heard of Viper's as an upgrade kit once before, any more info? Some insurance companies will give you a discount if you fit an approved alarm. But I don't want two remotes like my last car!

Lukev85
16-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Hope you knocked the punks out

NGOLF.U
16-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Hope you knocked the punks out

heh...heh...hehe.....:D

spiff
20-05-2009, 02:48 AM
Sorry to be dragging this out of the deep, but I'm facing a dilemma regarding alarms and would need a recommendation on alarms if people have done after market ones.

I didn't choose the dealer upgrade because they said immobilisers were good enough and the motion sensors in the dealer fitted ones could be quite sensitive (wouldn't be able to leave your windows partially wound down on a hot day).

But when I started getting insurance quotes today, I was told with alarm fitted, it would be 10% off (grrrr), so now I think I'm going to have to spend money to install an alarm, just to save money on insurance.

I've heard of Viper's as an upgrade kit once before, any more info? Some insurance companies will give you a discount if you fit an approved alarm. But I don't want two remotes like my last car!

ntails
20-05-2009, 07:30 AM
I've got a viper in mine, only one remote also. All seems good.

BlackVr6ix
20-05-2009, 07:35 AM
the viper alarm upgrades are great and utilise your factory remotes. What insurer are you talking to? Factory setup without the alarm is pretty safe. I'm an insurance broker send me a pm and i'll see what i can do, i haven't been able to help everyone but i'll give anything a shot.

Manaz
20-05-2009, 11:43 AM
A mate of mine has wired a set of air horns to his alarm instead of a standard siren. They're loud enough to hurt your ears if you're close to the car, certainly enough to put anyone off from sitting on the bonnet if they go off :)