PDA

View Full Version : Thermo fan switch

vinderliker
12-09-2007, 03:58 PM
My thermo fan is not working so I ordered through Supercheap, who deal with the supplier Tridon the correct one for a 1974 VW Passat LS. I went to fit it today and found that the one I ordered is way to small for the one in the radiator even though it is the correct part. I have some records from the original owner which says that the original radiator was replaced, but it doesn't say with what sort.The part I ordered will fit in the hole left by the current thermo fan filter. I am frustrated by this, so can anybody shed some light on it, whether or not the radiator comes from another model?

James

Jmac
12-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Hate to put a spanner in the works but from memory the original rad never had a switch and it was located in a water hose along with other switches. If it helps the Audi 80 was the same . So you might have the right switch, it just isnt meant to go on the rad mate. If there is one on the rad there has been something else going on at some stage.
Cheers

Jmac
12-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Oh yeah and by the way the original switch was a small switch, that fits the hose unlike the big ones for the rad.
Jimmy

76Passat
13-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Hey! Just joined this forum, cause I'm amazed that others have B1 Passats still - thought I was only one! Um, all B1s I've seen had the thermoswitch in the bottom of radiator. I don't have any spares but you could try Mick Motors in Brisbane, I think I bought one there not long ago.

vinderliker
13-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks Guy's,
Got Michael at Cvwc To check it out and he said it was a standard on the0 bottom of the radiator. He suggested that I join the two wires up so the fan is on full time till I get a new thermo fan switch, or a new toggle switch inside the car.

James

Midlife Crisis
18-10-2007, 10:33 AM
The switch in my B1 is stuffed aswell so I have run a earth wire to the wires going into the switch and the fan comes on when you turn the keys on. This will help untill you get a new switch.

Marc