PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my MKIV

craig_the_german
12-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I would like to upgrade the suspension of my MKIV. It is a 1.6L manual with the standard soft/bouncy suspension. It has done 60,000km.

I don't think I need to go over the top with coil overs etc but just need a firmer damper.

Due to where I live, although I would love to lower it, this would be impractical.

What are my options?

gpk_gti
12-09-2007, 04:50 PM
obviously you would start at H&R,and thenwork your way from there.maybe a cup kit,but if you dont want to lower it ,then bilsteins are regarded as the best shockers...
I can refer you to a expert who would give you all your options if you so want.

peedman
12-09-2007, 06:23 PM
You can always get a pedders $14 suspension check, just dont buy anything from them as there are cheaper/better alternatives.

craig_the_german
12-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi,

I don't think there is anything wrong with the suspension, it's just that the stock suspension is a bit too soft...nice and comfy on the road but just floats more than I like...I guess I have gotten used to it since I bought the Golf only a few weeks ago.

My previous car was a...don't laugh...Daihatsu Charade but had Munroe struts, urethane bushes throughout and adjustable Whiteline swaybars front and rear....handled like a gocart. My theory was that with 900cc it took so long to build up the speed that you couldn't risk slowing down for any corners.

I would just like the Golf to be a little less "floaty" if there is such a word..:)

peedman
12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Perhaps some adjustable shocks then? 60k seems relatively new tho, im sure u can live with 'floatiness' :D

rayray086
12-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Yeah mate, uprated struts would do you fine. If you're looking for a ride that's firmer than stock but not uncomfortable (i.e. hard), try the Koni Specials (red). They have damper adjustment and were made to be used with stock springs if you're not wanting to lower it. I'm using mine with lowering springs and they have been the best upgrade for me.