PDA

View Full Version : 7.5inch wide rims on Yeti?

BJ75
02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm interested in changing the wheels on my Yeti. After pining for a set of Matterhorns, but subsequently realizing it's too expensive to get any in Australia, I have been looking at VW/Audi wheels, and replica VW/Audi wheels.

Some of the styles I like in 5x112 ET45 are 17x7.5, whereas the current Spitzbergs are 17x7.

Leaving the same 225/50 tyres on, would these wider wheels have any clearance issues? As in, would they affect the way the tyre sits in the wheel well? My gut tells me no, but thought I'd ask people with more knowledge first.

Cheers,

bj.

Tigger
05-04-2013, 05:22 PM
shouldnt be a drama.
check to see which wheels will fit the tiguan...as it is basically the same car....

CPITUNING
18-07-2013, 08:25 PM
AK (owner of Autoslick) is the real brains when it comes to wheels but we have some wheels which may work?

Calibre Askari | SlickOnline - AutoSlick & HomeSlick (http://www.slickonline.com.au/products/calibre-askari)

- Joe

brad
19-07-2013, 09:51 AM
What is the offset / ET of the OEM wheels?

BJ75
19-07-2013, 03:37 PM
By OEM Wheels do you mean the Spitzbergs that came with the car? They are ET45. Therefore none of the options of the very nice looking Autoslick Wheels Joe provided the link for will be suitable I think. They're probably a bit too sporty for what I'm after anyway (but thanks for the suggestion anyway Joe).

Have started a dialog with another Yeti owner on here that will hopefully end with us swapping wheels and each getting what we're after. But will wait to hear from him before that goes ahead any further.

brad
19-07-2013, 03:44 PM
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture ie: The wheels that came with the car from the factory.

17x7.5 Anywhere from ET40-ET52 will fit no probs.

You can probably even go 8" with a bit of thought, measurement & judicious choosing of offset.

BJ75
19-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks Brad. It's still an option if the swap doesn't come through. Part of me prefers the R-Type rims - every time a see a Scirocco with a set of black ones I picture them on my car looking quite sharp (but the shorter ones obviously).

I guess my concern is the fact that these are replica wheels, not made by whoever makes VAG/Skoda wheels. So I wonder if I'll have balancing issues, or if they're just crap quality.

Don't suppose you know if putting 235/50 tyres on a 7.5in wide rim would affect the speedo? My inferior knowledge is that if the profile (the 50 part) is the same, the overall diameter will be the same. But I don't know for sure if that's right.

brad
20-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Is 235/50r17 the standard size that came with the vehicle? If so, the difference in OD when on a 7" rim & a 7.5" or 8" will be negligable. They are good for a 6.5"-8.5" rim

Rooboy
20-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Standard tyre size for the Yeti on Spitzbergs is 225/50r17. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

BJ75
22-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah the standards are 225/50 as Rooboy points out. I guess my thought was that in getting a slightly wider rim, I wondered if I should get a slightly wider tyre to match. It's probably not necessary, but in case there was a reason I HAD to get the 235 to match a 7.5in rim, I wanted to know if it would affect the overall diamater and thus the speedometer.

But it looks like the 225 will be fine on a 7.5 anyway.

Diesel_vert
22-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Don't suppose you know if putting 235/50 tyres on a 7.5in wide rim would affect the speedo? My inferior knowledge is that if the profile (the 50 part) is the same, the overall diameter will be the same. But I don't know for sure if that's right.

The aspect ratio or profile (in this case, 50) is expressed as a ratio that's derived from the tyre's section height / tyre's section width x 100.

So given the same aspect ratio, if you change the width, so will the height. This ultimately changes the overall diameter (OD).

For instance, a 225/50 R17 tyre has an OD of 658 mm and a 235/50 R17 tyre has a OD of 668 mm.

Fitting a tyre with a bigger OD will make the speedometer less overestimate the indicated speed. The wheel width does not noticeably affect the tyre's OD.

Increasing the wheel width by 0.5" and increasing the tyre width by 10 mm does not usually cause concern in most cars.

Yeah the standards are 225/50 as Rooboy points out. I guess my thought was that in getting a slightly wider rim, I wondered if I should get a slightly wider tyre to match.

No, it's not necessary. A 225/50 R17 tyre can be fitted on any wheel with a width of 6.0 to 8.0.