PDA

View Full Version : Hobart to Adelaide VW LT35

jets
11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
In May this year we relocated 2 VW campervans with another couple of friends. These vans are almost motorhomes with shower/toilet & reverse cycle aircon.The downside is they drove more like a truck with a slow gearbox [probably Mercedes] & o/all much bigger than my T4. Apart from the engine the rest of the vehicle was inferior to what I am used to in my T4 & Golf. The rear doors shut for example more like a Transit than a VW & needed to be slammed to shut. I mentioned this to the hire co. & their reply was that was normal. The van sat on the road ok & was economical but nothing to get exited about, definately not one for the enthusiast.
As a campervan it was very good with room to move around inside & every thing needed to be self sufficient.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/09/P1010089-2.jpg

This photo was taken soon after collection at Sorrel where we stopped to attend a market.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/09/P1010099-3.jpg

Photo of Martin changing wheel on Westgate bridge after blowout.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/09/P1010103-3.jpg

The 2 vans in South Aust. at Keith.

WEDEL.1
11-09-2007, 06:32 PM
That's a nice little money earner you have Rob.

Maris

phaeton
11-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks Rob ;)

I love the VW LT family :D

jets
12-09-2007, 12:00 AM
That's a nice little money earner you have Rob.

Maris

Unfortunately I don't get paid but it makes for a cheap holiday.

Rob

Altered Sprinter
18-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I guess it's a bit late to comment on this one.
Rob , come on mate a bog standard bottom of the line Mercedes disguised as a VW. The biggest problem world-wide are these RV conversions are as basic as you can get.
Budget priced Hire a drive for a profit, the fit out is below average on these units almost back packer design, materials used to construct thirty years out of date, still most folk enjoy the experience , I swear these two units just about migrate to Bruny island, every time they make it back down under
39 bucks to 45 for the ferry is a bit rich! But its the length not the weight The LWB hi-top model you showed is a low capacity engine type which one I'm not so sure about?
Front axle loadings some where between 1400 to 1600 KG depending on the engine and loading ratings some of these units are under 3.2 tonne with 2200 rear axle loadings final axle drive will also be optioned on this van low or high??
Single rear wheel , single spring rear, no front or rear H/D reinforced stabilizer bars, not optioned up grade front axle rated to 1850KG, not optioned up for H/D shocks... Great on fuel poorly balanced, no after market secondary manufactures license to AS/ Standards or VW RV approval via Benz.
Drive like a truck well no ESP or ABS LOC, It's an option the difference between the two is chalk and cheese, plus you get on board computer assist.
Drive these on the Isas going through the gap at Bruny and they are a death trap for a novice to say the least , if the rear lets go You need to be an experienced driver, to correct over and under steer, mind you it's brother can be just as bad.
Put these off road and your stuck in the sand or wet grass, the only way out is to let air pressure down in rear tires and rock it out in a dead straight line.
Rear doors shut perfect no rattles ever unless that one single bottom latch does not a line to the top latch adjustable but it's a hell of a job to get it back right.
The one down side with Aus RV vans are the design , out dated over weight in materials , at Least Euro vans use abs plastics lightweight and very well formed and efficient
At least the new Crafters are better equipped to handle the conversions for Caper units as to center of balance.
They are a great vans but The issues out side of the conversions caused many a compliant in Australia with suspension problems and that single parabolic fiber plastic non rusting spring.
Real Campers sit on a six tonne set up with the large 5 cylinder engines and genuine suspension set up.
interior design! Why VW stuck with the 19995 Layout has me beat to this day, sort of a VW tradition
Mercedes_Benz 2000 onwards
1086 Wood grain dash surrounds seating options are all available in Australia very few vans have these options here because I think either they did not know they exist or I'm not paying for this.? Rob not a negative towards your post But there are the cheap bottom of the line Crafters as opposed to the top end, unfortunately on the brother Sprinters side Mercedes Sprinter.
Bruny Island
616 CDi rated GMV 6.9 Tonne
Last photo shows the real McCoy
1089 The Latest crafters well they are Nice.
Richard

jets
18-09-2007, 10:31 PM
I know Mercedes use a small 2150 4 cyl. engine in the 413 but I think VW use the 5 cyl 2.5 in the LT 35 & LT46.[someone correct me if I am wrong]
I agree with you on the construction of the conversion, the only one I have seen in Aust. that approaches the Germans is the Trakka.
I have a brochure dated Dec. '93 on the California & even Trakka doesn't come close.
I agree the rear doors were probably not adjusted correctly, but both vans were the same & the van I drove was less than a year old.
BTW great photo on Bruny island.

Rob

I have since checked with my local agent & there are 2 engines available in the LT series, the 2.5 & 2.8. The Maui probably had the 2.5.

Altered Sprinter
19-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Rob I know these units well
They have the lowest capacity engines possible
Here is another one but Mercedes look at the CDi rating 308 80 hp the first letter states tonne capacity.
This thing would blow a boiler going up Bust me Gall Hill or blow a gasket at Spring hill :D
Very few Crafters were sold with the one and only 316 CDi 5 cylinder engines , Mercedes did not sell that many either AUS only
The most successful engine was that 4-inline 313 CDi
These units hold extreme high resale value, have a higher top end speed and Superior mid range torque Fuel efficient providing you don't keep the turbo fully active , but it's fun blasting all local opposition off the road they are very quick response vehicles .
313 Cdi at Richmond
Richard