PDA

View Full Version : turbotimer in the gti

NGOLF.U
08-09-2007, 12:29 AM
has anyone fitted one, i have a apexi tubo timer but doesnt work like a turbo timer should.
i have to rev the car before i turn the key or else it doesnt work.

DUB 20V
08-09-2007, 08:26 AM
has anyone fitted one, i have a apexi tubo timer but doesnt work like a turbo timer should.
i have to rev the car before i turn the key or else it doesnt work.

i have hks turbo timer, i dont need to rev the car before turning the key

DaveMack
08-09-2007, 09:31 AM
OK ... I'll admit it ... I have no idea what you guys are talking about. What is a "Turbo timer"?

Dave

DUB 20V
08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
OK ... I'll admit it ... I have no idea what you guys are talking about. What is a "Turbo timer"?

Dave

its a timer when you turn the car off and take the key out the car will still run till the timer, which you set for say 1min. it will count down then turn off.

gpk_gti
08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
usually a "rice" mod which allows your turbo to cool down after hard driving.

not for us slow coaches!!!:D

DaveMack
08-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Ahhh ... that explains the ricies walking away from their still running cars. Now I know. Thankyou ... and George ... who are you calling slow? :D

Dave

SoVeReIgN
08-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Definently not a rice mod!!

The turbo gets VERY hot (Think 500degrees++) and if you just switch off the car after running it hard the turbo remains red hot and the oil/coolant in and around it just cakes itself (solidifies and/or makes itself totally useless).

Can also put stress on the turbo shaft when you start using it again.

Turbo timer keeps the car running and allows the turbo to cool down, prolonging engine + turbo life.

The S3 with the same engine (+ KO4) has an electronic water pump that keeps running well after the car has been turned off. ie - acts in the same way a turbo timer does. If Audi engineers felt the need to include this, it would be advantageous to do similar with a turbo timer - Especially if you car is chipped/modified!!

gpk_gti
08-09-2007, 03:23 PM
or if you give it a great hit before you stop the car,which I dont do.the last few k's before home I keep very low revs,which would be the same thing as a idle down.
car is not insured if something happens whilst turbo timer is active.

NGOLF.U
08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
ahaha ok... so a turbo timer can work well on a gti?

i should get mine re installed

peedman
08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
From what ive read most turbos now are water cooled as well and the water will still circulate to cool the turbo down after the engine is off (thermal siphon). Only the old oil cooled ones would cook the oil and stuff the bearings. Tho i still agree with what gpk says about taking it easy the last few k's home.

gpk_gti
08-09-2007, 04:33 PM
water and oil circulate through our turbo's.as its connected to the radiator,it will circulate if the car is that hot.

hutchjnr- MTM GTi
11-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Can any body recommend what is the best type of turbo timer to get for Mk4 GTi? What is the best value and where to get it??

Manaz
11-06-2008, 09:01 PM
or if you give it a great hit before you stop the car,which I dont do.the last few k's before home I keep very low revs,which would be the same thing as a idle down.
car is not insured if something happens whilst turbo timer is active.

There are also potential legality issues.

DUB 20V
11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Can any body recommend what is the best type of turbo timer to get for Mk4 GTi? What is the best value and where to get it??

apexi turbo timer is one of the best ones around also gives you a voltage reading and a/f .

Blitzen
11-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok, if the MK4 GTI has essentially the same engine as the Polo GTI(less Fly By Wire throttle control) why would you need a turbo timer?

The turbo is water cooled, and the engine has an electric water pump that circulates coolant after the engine is shut down, hence negating the risk of the lubricating oil causing a gunk build up on the turbo shafts and bearings(The main reason a turbo timer is used on non water cooled turbo's).
If I'm wrong in regards to the coolant pump circulating coolant on MK4's as opposed to Polo GTI's, fair enough, but it dosn't seem like a viable mod, and just a bit of double tapping.

DaveMack
11-06-2008, 11:41 PM
You're right, Ryan ... belts & braces reasoning. When you turn off your Pogo ... you can hear the water pump still running. If the engine is really hot ... it runs for quite some time. I think they've (VW) sussed this one.

Dave

DUB 20V
11-06-2008, 11:49 PM
You're right, Ryan ... belts & braces reasoning. When you turn off your Pogo ... you can hear the water pump still running. If the engine is really hot ... it runs for quite some time. I think they've (VW) sussed this one.

Dave

i dont think the mk4 has the pump afther the motor is turned off.? turn my car off there is nothing running, i know my vr6 also had this water pump thingo.lol

Blitzen
12-06-2008, 12:18 AM
i dont think the mk4 has the pump afther the motor is turned off.? turn my car off there is nothing running, i know my vr6 also had this water pump thingo.lol

Ok, sorry about that then...I can sort of understand it, but I think a oil residue build up in the the turbo is substantially less likely on a water cooled turbo as opposed to an oil/air cooled turbo.

DUB 20V
12-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Ok, sorry about that then...I can sort of understand it, but I think a oil residue build up in the the turbo is substantially less likely on a water cooled turbo as opposed to an oil/air cooled turbo.

yeah i hear ya, but better to be safe than sorry, hehe