PDA

View Full Version : VR6 chin spoiler on mk2

Spyda
07-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has done it before?

My original gti spoiler was stolen so i figured I'd go for a vr6 one, it was cheaper and looks good imo.

I obviously need to trim and bend it a bit but is there anything els i should know?

bsting
07-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Have you got big bumpers? If yes, then it will fit, just trim a bit out from where the two center ends meet.

Spyda
07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks mate, yeh its big bumper.

So nothin special then just a bit of trim.

joshyd-mk2gti
07-09-2007, 07:37 PM
yeh man, just trim it in the middle. make sure you cut both evenly otherwise the obvious middle join wont be in the middle.

rayray086
07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Matt's done it before on his red Mk2 GTI. Looks good IMO on the big bumper. Don't remember his VWW handle though, but I'm sure he'll come across this thread.

RedMk2Gti
07-09-2007, 11:24 PM
just trim a bit out from where the two center ends meet.

no n: if you do that, you'll cut the interlock of the 2 part and it won't fit properly. You should do some zip-zap cut in the 2 corner. At least that was what I did and it worked.

Spyda
09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=RedMk2Gti;81028]You should do some zip-zap cut in the 2 corner.[QUOTE]

Whats zip-zap? and where on the corner?

Most people say cut the middle, some other people say cut the other sides and bend it again....

I think cuting the middle is a better option and i think it wont be to hard to make the middle stick together without the join.

joshyd-mk2gti
09-09-2007, 02:18 PM
k i just had a read. i guess you can do it both ways, but i would probably clip the middle in then go from there. you have to remould the curve with a heat gun.

The curve of the spoiler doesn't match the curve of the bumper.
I had to cut some of the clips on the bumper and on the bumper.
Then use a heat gun to reshape the spoiler.
I used screws to attach the spoiler to the bumper ( behind the bumper through the clips ).
Also a second set of hands is helpful and necessary for a few points.

i jacked the car up, started to snap in the middle and work your way outward towards the corners, you wil notice that the vr lip is quite a bit wider, the notches dont all line up for the corner so you have to trim them a bit to get them to fit. once i noticed this i went back and screwed down all the clips i had done so far to ensure the lip would stay put while i was working on the corners. with the heat gun out and warming it up it becomes much easier to work with. *** the corner started to form i snapped it into place and screwed it down. i continued to heat everything from the corner to the back edge of the bumper to smooth out the old corner. repeat on other side.
at this point the lip is pretty much mounted but the lip hangs off the back of the bumper. heat it up a little and i used some masking tape to use as a guid to cut the lip this way you can follow the curve of the bumper onto the lip and have it look normal, like it was supposed to be there.
you can also cut it in the middle and leave the corners as they are but it usually doesn't turn out as good. and if you do do it this way epoxy something to the back of the spoiler so it stays tight together.

Spyda
09-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks man,

I have noticed that some dont fit right and some match the curve. I think i will do it that way instead of cutting the middle. I prefer it to match the curve.

Thanks for all the help, ill post pics when i get it done.

XXX-1.8T
11-09-2007, 03:30 PM
i want to see pics!