PDA

View Full Version : Mk7 GTI officially revealed

gavs
27-02-2013, 12:54 PM
See here:

Golf GTI Revealed (http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/volkswagen-golf-gti-revealed-20130227-2f584.html)

Now for my designer's opinion.

Outside = Yawn. At least the Mk5 and 6 had a touch of an agressive flavour over the regular Golf models. While different, this just looks, well, boring. Fins and flutes should have remained on 1980's supercars.
The interior looks like a regression in design. The mk6 interior I would argue looks more modern and cohesive than this model.

The front looks like a hippo has squashed it and the angularity of the DLO doesn't match in with the overall bubble-like shape.

but hey, that's just me:)

kaktusdigital
27-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I take it you won't be getting one? :)

Looks nice to me, but agree with the fins. It'll be interesting to see initial pricing, i got a a250 sport quote today for 57K base model. for that money you could have a pretty spec'd up GTI I hope.

brimway
27-02-2013, 01:38 PM
What about those wheels ... Yuck

Marcotto
27-02-2013, 01:45 PM
All that talk about being so much lighter. But only 9kgs ? wtf

team_v
27-02-2013, 01:56 PM

9kg is probably the weight saving from cutting out half of the spoke from the detroit's to get the new wheel design.

DoggieHowser
27-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I sat in a 1.4T Sport model yesterday and there's an instant familiarity to the cockpit. And I don't think that it seems a regression. The build quality looks better than my Tiguan 155TSI and I love the bigger satnav screen.

All in all, it feels a step up in class in the cabin.

It isn't as avantgarde as the Merc A Class but I think that's the appeal of the Golf.

DoggieHowser
27-02-2013, 02:13 PM

Could it be the addition of the mechanical LSD that's rumored to be included in the GTI?

readerr0r
27-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Could it be the addition of the mechanical LSD that's rumored to be included in the GTI?

No rumour, mech LSD is in the Performance version.
Volkswagen Golf GTI: 169kW hot-hatch revealed | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/217040/volkswagen-golf-gti-169kw-hot-hatch-revealed/)

team_v
27-02-2013, 03:22 PM
No rumour, mech LSD is in the Performance version.
Volkswagen Golf GTI: 169kW hot-hatch revealed |*CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/217040/volkswagen-golf-gti-169kw-hot-hatch-revealed/)

But will we get it or do we get stuck with the old tech; ala kessy, folding mirrors, colour mfd etc

gavs
27-02-2013, 04:16 PM
A locking differential is not the same as limited slip, besides, the weight difference between an open and LSD or locking diff would be negligible.

kaktusdigital
27-02-2013, 05:58 PM
What about those wheels ... Yuck

Looks like 17"'s "brooklyns" are standard, they look 18"

Ryan41
27-02-2013, 07:57 PM
oh my.. that dash looks terrible! especially around the cluster.. what is doing!

I really hope the R looks better otherwise I will be heading in the mercedes direction along with many others:facepalm:

cktsi
27-02-2013, 08:05 PM
See here:

The interior looks like a regression in design. The mk6 interior I would argue looks more modern and cohesive than this model.

The front looks like a hippo has squashed it and the angularity of the DLO doesn't match in with the overall bubble-like shape.

but hey, that's just me:)

+1 When I see the HVAC switchgear I think of Mk5. The radio/satnav buttons now look unbalanced compared to Mk6.

I also think the dashboard graphics have gone backwards and look a little dated. Apart from that, the rest of the interior looks ok.

The exterior references Mk 5 at the front and Mk 6 at the back, but to me that's not a bad thing. I think it will grow on me.

I just hope VW for its own sake put more gear as standard. Mazda and now Holden are putting relatively recent features such as rear view camera as standard and parking sensors.

pologti18t
27-02-2013, 08:13 PM
From a euro publication

Both figures are more than the 207bhp on offer in the outgoing Mk6 Golf GTI, though, and the newcomer weighs 42kg less.

Read more: New VW Golf GTI revealed | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/62885/new-vw-golf-gti-revealed#ixzz2M5pQlikN)

What's wrong with the dash?

http://s2.paultan.org/image/630x420xDB2012AU01015_large-630x420.jpg.pagespeed.ic.1HKfuJP7Yy.jpg

Tom87
27-02-2013, 08:37 PM
the side profile of the dash is very clumsy.

But I think it is a tad more tasteful than the Mk6 with its cheap looking chrome rings everywhere. this still has them but they look a bit finer and less daggy.

Ryan_R
27-02-2013, 08:44 PM
I love the chrome air-vent rings in the Mk6!

The tartan seats really don't suit the Audi-ish dashboard imo

sacktap410
27-02-2013, 09:10 PM
See here:
Outside = Yawn. At least the Mk5 and 6 had a touch of an agressive flavour over the regular Golf models. While different, this just looks, well, boring. Fins and flutes should have remained on 1980's supercars.

I totally agree, although it will be interesting to see it in person as I wasn't a fan of the MK6 until I saw it in the flesh.

Tobes_WIR35
27-02-2013, 09:40 PM
cheap looking chrome rings everywhere. this still has them but they look a bit finer and less daggy.

They're actually Matt silver/brushed chrome

Not sure if this makes any difference to your opinion though....

alebonau
27-02-2013, 10:14 PM
I really dont like the steering wheel the round hub might be fitting for the beetle but looks out of place on the gti. otherwise I think the dash is a good increment to the mk6, but really its all a bit to similar. can see that as lets not break a winning formula....or playing a bit to safe.

alebonau
27-02-2013, 10:32 PM
hmm looking at the side view of of the dash here, it does look a bit too passat like
Drive - New Volkswagen Golf GTI Revealed (http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/volkswagen-golf-gti-revealed-20130227-2f584.html)

and definitely to me that steering wheel looks out of place. 17" as standard ? would have thought they would have stepped upto 18s ?

good to see the power hike, and combined wiht good fuel economy and some work they have done to put traction and power through the front wheels.

theyre obviously still keeping pricing and whats standard on the car well up the sleeve :)

j123
27-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Yep, definitely waiting to see if the proportions in flesh work for/against it.
Personally, I quite like the overall exterior - the sharp creases make it look modern but yet still restrained enough to keep it looking 'Golf'.
Like others have mentioned, I can't seem to get my ahead around those fins, what an eyesore. And not too sure if the grille's red-line-continuation-into-headlight looks entirely resolved to me...

Interior though, looks fantastic.

I totally agree, although it will be interesting to see it in person as I wasn't a fan of the MK6 until I saw it in the flesh.

Lemonskin
28-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Aftermarket front spoilers will be a massive market methinks.

Hillbilly
28-02-2013, 08:26 AM
From Stuff NZ this morning

Volkswagen Golf 7 drives into green - motoring | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/8352424/Golf-7-larger-lighter-with-lower-prices)

Dutch77
28-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Aftermarket front spoilers will be a massive market methinks.

..or the sale of black GTIs will be a lot higher.

Tom87
28-02-2013, 10:47 AM
They're actually Matt silver/brushed chrome

Not sure if this makes any difference to your opinion though....

Oh? Are they like that only in the Adidas? Or maybe they changed it in the later models?

The last Mk6 GTI i was in they were definitely shiny chrome.

Dutch77
28-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Oh? Are they like that only in the Adidas? Or maybe they changed it in the later models?

I don't think they've changed, again I think it comes down to subjectivity on what is shiny and what isn't.. everyone's tastes are different. I love the interior of my GTI, I never really got why the journos raved about it till I sat in one.

I reckon the mk7's looks ok too, like the exterior just an evolutionary change on the inside. Maybe sitting one will change that opinion. They've got that old BMW trait of the centre angling towards the driver? The early release pics of the mk7 showed a finish in the black piano gloss that looked good, esp teamed with the brown leather.. not suited to a GTI mind you.

Hillbilly
28-02-2013, 11:09 AM

They are similar in the Passat and are a pain as they reflect in the windscreen all the time A little more thought needs to be made for things like this.

Tom87
28-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't think they've changed, again I think it comes down to subjectivity on what is shiny and what isn't.. everyone's tastes are different. I love the interior of my GTI, I never really got why the journos raved about it till I sat in one.

I reckon the mk7's looks ok too, like the exterior just an evolutionary change on the inside. Maybe sitting one will change that opinion. They've got that old BMW trait of the centre angling towards the driver? The early release pics of the mk7 showed a finish in the black piano gloss that looked good, esp teamed with the brown leather.. not suited to a GTI mind you.

Possible, but in a 2011 Mk6 118tsi I was thinking of getting (jeez i'm glad I didn't do that) the finish on the little metal highlights around the buttons of the RCD310 were definitely a dull matte finish compared to the shiny chrome around the air vents. This is actually why i put an rcd310 in my mk5, it suited the interior quite well.

And come to think of it I have seen both shiny chrome and dull matte finish on the metal highlights of the RC/VD510 on ebay.

Perhaps they did change. I know the Mk5 did, it had shiny chrome door handles and glovebox handle in the interior up until 2007 when they changed to a brushed finish.

stickshift3000
28-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Perhaps they did change. I know the Mk5 did, it had shiny chrome door handles and glovebox handle in the interior up until 2007 when they changed to a brushed finish.

My 2006 has brushed alloy look finish.

jrgti
28-02-2013, 09:44 PM
I need some clarification on the weight question. I assume that is the EU unladen weight? Is that the same as tare mass?

Dutch77
28-02-2013, 09:48 PM
I need some clarification on the weight question. I assume that is the EU unladen weight? Is that the same as tare mass?

Interesting, don't know if it impacts the weights being thrown around (I assume not now that we have 'Australian' articles on the car now) but EU weights include a driver, unlike US/UK and I assume Aus weights.

Curb weight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight)

kaanage
28-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Wheels are FAR too big and also fugly.

The front and side look like a continuation of the way VW styled the 6R Polo from the MkVI Golf.

jrgti
01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Just read the news on the home page....."Unladen weight: 1,351 kg (base version including driver [68 kg], luggage [7 kg] and 90 % filled fuel tank; calculated as per RL 92/21/EEC."

My current MK6 GTI (dsg version) is 1380KG (Tare Mass)

But in Australia, according to this website(http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/13288.htm&page=11)for the Definition of tare mass:

"Tare mass

The mass of a vehicle (other than an L-group vehicle), that is all of the following:

- ready for service, unoccupied and unladen
- with all fluid reservoirs filled to nominal capacity except for fuel, which should be 10 litres only
- with all standard equipment and any options fitted."

Tare mass is also known as 'kerb mass' or 'unladen mass'.

(L-group vehicles include mopeds, motorcycles and motor tricycles as listed in the Australian Design Rules). "

So can I safely assume that the weight loss is more significant than first thought?

I'd like to add that the 0-100km time (6.5secs), according to the article, is for a manual. With a DSG, again, it should be safe to assume that the performance version should hit pretty close to the 6sec mark.

Ryan_R
02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Plus we know VW to underquote the 0-100kph times

prcurrie
04-03-2013, 03:23 PM
So I'm currently working in Singapore and just saw the first MKVII Golf on the road. Looked great, especially with the redesigned DRL's!

Dutch77
04-03-2013, 04:14 PM
I'd like to add that the 0-100km time (6.5secs), according to the article, is for a manual. With a DSG, again, it should be safe to assume that the performance version should hit pretty close to the 6sec mark.

Should be quicker, although VW seemed to claim the same time for both in mk6 guise. Real world testing did seem to net quicker times with the DSG though.

There's a sizeable difference now on the fuel usage front, both were at 7.7l/100km on the mk6; now they're talking 6.4l/100km for DSG and only 6.0l/100km for manual.. so something has definitely changed here.

Nath
05-03-2013, 05:14 AM
New video released overnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYEnaNwkn0&sns=em

jrgti
06-03-2013, 01:06 AM
New video released overnight.

Golf GTI - Geneva Motor Show Film - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYEnaNwkn0&sns=em)

Does that look like it is power sliding with.........e-handbrake? Or just using the throttle without any intervention from the e-handbrake?

DoggieHowser
06-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Does that look like it is power sliding with.........e-handbrake? Or just using the throttle without any intervention from the e-handbrake?
Same thing crossed my mind :P

Ryan_R
06-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Well VW ads have to always be truthful, so those sounds must be real (not dubbed) and anyone must be able to slide that car on wet pavement.

Nav screen looked nice - wonder if that'll be the same with out maps.

tonymy01
06-03-2013, 09:37 AM
when I saw that I thought great handbrake, I forgot it had an e brake!, would that make doing this impossible? must have been modded with a normal cable brake.

Ryan_R
06-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Maybe there is a VCDS setting to enable the e-Brake at speed???

pologti18t
06-03-2013, 12:40 PM
The rear wheels look like they are spinning even when the rear moves out.
There is more than one way to make the rear come out on a car than using the handbrake.

By definition an "e-brake" (how very american :P - "e" for emergency) has to be able to pull up a moving vehicle. So, you must be able to activate the electric handbrake in a the new golf whilst it is motion.

Ryan_R
06-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Yeah "e" could now mean emergency or electronic...

Fifth Gear did an auto-test using the latest hot hatches and they said the Astra VXR had an electronic parking brake that wouldn't be used unless the car was stationary.

pologti18t
06-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Yeah "e" could now mean emergency or electronic...

Fifth Gear did an auto-test using the latest hot hatches and they said the Astra VXR had an electronic parking brake that wouldn't be used unless the car was stationary.

For the GM Volt (and i assume most GM cars - Opel etc)

The EPB can be applied anytime the vehicle is stopped. The EPB is applied by momentarily lifting up on the P switch. Once fully applied, the Electric Parking Brake Light will be on. While the brake is being applied, the Electric Parking Brake Light will flash until full apply is reached. If the light does not come on, or remains flashing, have the vehicle serviced. Do not drive the vehicle if the Electric Parking Brake Light is flashing. See your dealer.

If the EPB is applied while the vehicle is in motion, a chime will sound, and the DIC message RELEASE PARKING BRAKE will be displayed. The vehicle will decelerate as long as the switch is held in the up position.

Releasing the switch during the deceleration will release the parking brake. If the P switch is held in the up position until the vehicle comes to a stop, the EPB will remain applied.

prcurrie
06-03-2013, 01:53 PM
I've read conflicting articles on which DSG is in the new Golf. Is it a carry over from the MKVI (DQ200 etc) or a whole new box?

One article said that the only thing they've carried over into the new model is the gearbox, which with all the horror stories of that DSG, you'd think they wouldn't!!!

Ryan_R
06-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Maybe they just say the same in terms of '7 speed DSG' and not in terms of DQxxx ?

jrgti
06-03-2013, 09:02 PM
This guy sure has a craving for the gti:

Volkswagen Golf GTI at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show - Auto Express - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqKrGvSO9Us)

AdamD
07-03-2013, 08:05 AM
I've read conflicting articles on which DSG is in the new Golf. Is it a carry over from the MKVI (DQ200 etc) or a whole new box?

One article said that the only thing they've carried over into the new model is the gearbox, which with all the horror stories of that DSG, you'd think they wouldn't!!!

It uses the existing 6-speed. VW haven't developed an all-new 6-speed DSG as of yet. It's likely there are ongoing refinements (and running changes) however - certainly on the software front.

The existing 7-speed also carries over in the lower models.

WhiteJames
07-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Haven't seen what the 18" wheels look like, but I imagine they would look like the 17" version, only taller. 19" wheel spokes look like tuning forks:

First MK7 GTI and GTD pics from 2013 Geneva Show Debut - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153)

Side by side profiles further down in the pic sequence.

Cheers.
WJ

kaktusdigital
08-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Volkswagen Deutschland (http://www.volkswagen.de/de.html)

The MK7 GTI configurator for the german site is live!

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/73f2ed7c569235.png/)

so that's what brooklyn 17" wheels look like... mmmm..

Ryan_R
08-03-2013, 10:42 AM
I was managing ok copying the Options text into a Google Translate until I ticked the reverse camera, then it asked me to pick which radio I wanted, then didn't return me back so now I'm stuck, lol

Good to get an idea of what's available and what's packaged together... although one has to assume VWA will not make everything available to us here.

edit - found my way back in and ticked a few other random thing - here's the Google Translate:

The new Golf
Golf GTi "performance" BlueMotion Technology 2.0 l TSI 169 kW (230 hp), 6-speed DSG dual clutch transmission
€ 31,375.00
exterior painting
Pure White
€ 0.00
interior decoration
Titan Black / Titan Black / Black / Pearl Grey
Additional Equipment
Driving profile selection
€ 120.00
Driver Assistance Package
€ 1,690.00
Traffic Sign Recognition
€ 0.00
Omission of standard air conditioning / air conditioning "Climatronic"
€ 0.00
4 doors including rear electric windows
€ 900.00
Leather "Vienna" with top sports seats
€ 1,630.00
Navigation System "Discover Pro"
€ 2,315.00
Tool kit and jack
€ 0.00
Navigation data for Europe on internal memory
€ 0.00
Park steering assistant "Park Assist" parking including pilot
€ 200.00
Reversing camera "Rear Assist"
€ 280.00
Spare 3 1/2 J x 18 weight-and space-saving
€ 60.00
Side air bags and seat belt pretensioners and rear including warning light for non-scale belts
€ 355.00
DAB+ digital radio reception
€ 225.00
Mobile phone interface "premium"
€ 465.00

Total € 39.615,00 (roughly $50k)

Dutch77
08-03-2013, 10:52 AM
So the Brooklyn 17 is like the Denver, and the Austin 18 looks the equivalent of the Detroit with the blacked out areas.. and they've maintained their US city name convention. Couldn't get whatever the Santiago 19 is to come up.

That pricing isn't cheap in Germany/Euros - although I don't know what their GST/VAT system and other on roads might be there. As a direct comparison (a dangerous thing no doubt) the base model is clocking in at approx $36k AUD, which isn't that far under our base price.

dsta
08-03-2013, 12:52 PM
No sunroof(s) option based on that?

Ryan_R
08-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I didn't tick every option - it's there but not something I'm a fan of ;)

kaktusdigital
08-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Here are the standard options for the euro spec. bolded the interesting sound ones to me.

Colors Pure White,Tornado Red, Black
Wheels 4 alloy wheels "Brooklyn" 7.5 J x 17 1)
Tires 225/45 R17 Tyre Mobility Set 12-volt compressor and tire sealant
Rim locks with extended anti-theft protection

Outside
Air intake grille black
Galvanized body
Windshield in heat resistant glass
Glazing green, sides and back
Rear window wiper with intermittent function
Power windows
Headlight housing black
Bi-Xenon headlights for low and high beams including turning lights
Dark red tail lights with LED technology, including LED license plate illumination
Headlight washers
Warning light for washer fluid level
Exterior mirror housings and door handles in body color
Integrated side indicators in the exterior mirrors
Front and rear bumpers in a sporty design, front air intakes in a honeycomb structure
Reflectors in the front doors (with 4 doors and rear)
Exhaust chromed twin tailpipes, left and right
Honeycomb radiator grille, with black painted trim in red / chrome and GTI logo
GTI logo on the sides of the front
Rear spoiler in body color
Inside
Seat upholstery in fabric design "Clark"
Top sports seats
Front seats with height adjustment
Lumbar support in front
Heated front seats
Entry "Easy Entry" (only 2 doors)
Asymmetrically split folding rear seat with center armrest and load-through, 2 cup holders
Chrome trim rings on the instruments in the instrument cluster and on the vents
Storage compartment with flap on the headliner
Slots in the doors (front with support for 1.5-liter bottles)
Front center armrest with storage box and 2 rear air vents
Non smoking execution: storage compartment and ashtray and cigarette lighter socket in place ahead
2 cup holders front
Chrome surround on rotary light switch, chrome accents on mirror adjustment and power window switches
Inlays "Checkered Black" for the dashboard on the passenger side, as well as door panels
Inlays "Checkered Black" for the instrument panel on the driver's side as well as the center console
Cargo cover stows,
Storage pockets on the backs of the front seats
Glove compartment with cooling facility, illuminated and lockable
Gear lever knob in leather
Drawers under the front seats
Textile floor mats front and rear
Load floor height adjustment and removable
Multifunction leather steering wheel (3 spoke) with aluminum decor
Shift boot with stitching in red
Bag hooks in luggage compartment
Pedals in stainless steel
Einstigsleisten front illuminated
Security
Airbags for driver and front passenger, with passenger airbag deactivation, including knee airbag on the driver's side
Head airbag system for front and rear passengers including side airbags
Improved safety front headrests
3 rear headrests, lowered
Three-point seat belts with front pretensioners and height adjustment
Warning buzzer and light for front seat belts not applied
3 three-point rear seat belts
Electronic stabilization program with counter steering assistance including ABS with Brake Assist, ASR, EDL, MSR and trailer stabilization
ISOFIX attachment points (device for securing 2 child seats on the rear bench seat)
Tire pressure monitor
Multi-Collision Brake
Disc brakes front (Geomet D)
Front disc brake
First aid kit and warning triangle
Electronic immobilizer
Brake calipers in red
Function
Luggage compartment lighting
Remote central locking, 2 remote folding keys
Electronic parking brake, including auto-hold function
Electronic differential lock XDS
Drowsiness detection
Park Pilot
Bracket for warning triangle
DRL
Front wipers with intermittent control
Steering column with height and rake adjustment
Warning lights and service interval display
Instrument cluster with electronic speedometer, odometer and trip odometer, tachometer
Radio "Composition Touch"
Instrument illumination, white adjustable; white night design for switches
Interior light with front off and contact switches on all doors
Aspherical mirrors on driver's side
Electrically adjustable and heated outside mirrors with passenger-side mirror lowering
Make-up mirrors in the sun visors left lit
Make-up mirrors in the sun visors right illuminates
12-volt power socket in the luggage compartment
2 LED rear reading lights front with chrome surround and 2
Air conditioning "Climatronic"
Dual-tone horn
Heated front windshield washer nozzles automatically
Progressive Steering
Start-stop system with braking energy recovery
Dust and pollen filter
Warning buzzer if lights
Ambient lighting
Multifunction display "Premium"
Sports suspension, body placed approximately 15 mm lower

DoggieHowser
08-03-2013, 06:26 PM
My Tiguan has turning bixenons.

It also has fatigue detection.

Fatherless One
08-03-2013, 10:28 PM
No side skirts ?

Machine
08-03-2013, 10:37 PM
No sir, I don't like it.

nau
15-03-2013, 02:40 PM
looks good but I cant really see many ppl jumping from mk6 to mk7 .... or even from mk5

pologti18t
16-03-2013, 12:58 AM
looks good but I cant really see many ppl jumping from mk6 to mk7 .... or even from mk5

Same argument used every time a new Golf GTI comes out :)

People will change over their cars as they need to. I can imagine it will be far more likely thet MK5 drivers will be doing it more often as leases etc expire.

WhiteJames
29-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Brochure from the motherland on the Mark 7 Golf GTD and GTI. Shows all the specs and options for the U.K. market. Weight has not been reduced a great deal, but fuel economy has really improved on the GTI:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-gti-vii/which-model/engines/overview

Edit: Configured GTI to my spec ... maybe go for ManTrans if there happens to be a third time purchase ...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-gti-vii/configure/1505/summary/you-have-chosen/

Configurator really helps show what options will be available on the GTI at what cost including which items will be bundled together i.e. Lane Departure Warning & High Beam Assist.

Cheers.
WJ

thezoneR32
29-03-2013, 08:19 PM
I can't believe torque in the GTI is going from 280nm to 350nm! And how is it possible for them to have the same fuel consumption? IS that a typo? Wont they both have stop/start functionality?

goodfella
29-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Edit: Configured GTI to my spec ... maybe go for ManTrans if there happens to be a third time purchase ...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-gti-vii/configure/1505/summary/you-have-chosen/

Cheers.
WJ

Had a go at the configurator and chuckled at the "Choose engine" phase - the stupid graphics show wide angle V-config motor...pfft VAG get with the program!!!

DoggieHowser
30-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Tks to WJ for the heads up on the UK configurator.

It looks like the bixenon is standard on the UK pricelist/brochure you can download (only the pricelist is up, the rest are blank) but in the configurator, it is still a paid optional extra.

ACC is still optional, as is the the Discover Pro (but the 5" display seems standard). Keyless entry/start is optional, as is Dynaudio, parking sensors and park assist. 18" rims are standard with 19" as an optional extra. I'm not sure if I am reading right but it seems the 19" can't be optioned at the same time as sunroof!?? I am never a big fan of the heavier sun roof anyway but curious why there's a limitation.

noone
30-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Pretty infographics...

So the Petrol now gets the same economy as the Diesel? Crazy...

Seems like its shed 80kg? Not sure if thats fully fueled, etc... Nothing to sneeze at.

jrgti
31-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Pretty infographics...

So the Petrol now gets the same economy as the Diesel? Crazy...

Seems like its shed 80kg? Not sure if thats fully fueled, etc... Nothing to sneeze at.

Are you looking at the comparison table between GTD and GTI? I think the column for the GTI is incorrect.

WhiteJames
01-04-2013, 12:37 PM
^Agree ... the fuel economy for the GTI can't be that good. That is crazy good to rival the GTD.

Just read Georg Kacher's review of a zero build Golf GTI pre-production model with heaps of goodies (CAR Mag, U.K.) based on a short 8 hour 350km drive review. The Mark 7 Golf GTI did not have the Power Pack, but did have DSG and DCC. Georg Kacher states that 6th gear on the DSG has been lengthened to the point of being way too tall compared to 5th gear for improved fuel economy. I don't see this as a bad thing overall, but on a DSG that shifts into 6th at the earlier possible time could be anoying (think Golf R32/Golf R with DSG).

The new DCC, like lesser Golfs, allows you to tailor your individual settings for dampers, steering, headlights, aircon and gearchange with options for individual, sport, normal and economy or similar. Georg recommends the Power Pack option, but it is still unknown whether the Power Pack option will have the same gearbox ratio inc. the extra tall 6th gear ratio. Wait & see.

Georg indicates that the Mark 7 Golf GTI still only a 9/10ths vehicle, but I could have told you that already. The DCC suspended GTI does allow for some mid corner adjustment re: lift off oversteer and the 18" do detract from the ride -v- lesser Golf's on 16 and 17" wheels. Not surprisingly. The review in itself is not very relative as it does not relate back to the Mark 6 Golf GTI or any other competitor. The review is more about saying nice things about the new MK7 Golf GTI. The GTI does look better in the pics in the Magazine, than the photos put up from motor shows.

Cheers.
WJ