PDA

View Full Version : Belegur's Fabia RS

belegur
25-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Greetings all...

Some of you Skoda owners may have bumped into me recently on here in other posts/threads.

I thought I'd setup a proper thread for my Fabia RS, as I begin to personalize it a little.

Fortunately I was at the dealer when the truck arrived to deliver my RS! See the first link below for a couple of quick iPhone shots when it was fresh off the truck, and another on collection day in the garage at home.

Fabia Delivery - Day 1 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93387706@N08/sets/72157632853196696/)

The weather turned overcast during my drive home on day one, but cleared up nicely the following day. I took some time to bond with the RS by giving it a wash and took some better shots with the SLR...

Fabia RS - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93387706@N08/sets/72157632799733729/)

more to follow...

belegur
25-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Today I decided to de-badge the rear hatch by removing the Fabia and RS badges. If you're interested in doing this, and have just bought or about to purchase a new car, I would suggest doing it soon after collection. I've had my car only a week, and the removal was very easy. All I required was a little heat from my girls hairdryer, some fingernails, and a small bit of bug & tar remover. Because the car was new nearly all the adhesive came off with the badges, leaving just a small outline of gunk to remove. I just simply cleaned the area around the badges beforehand with a damp cloth, and afterwards wiped it off with the same cloth to remove any excess tar remover. The whole process took about 10 leisurely minutes. Results can be seen at the link below.

Fabia RS De-Badge - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93387706@N08/sets/72157632848342525/)

Stay tuned for stage two of my personalization within the next week or two.

Cheers!

BrashDaniels
26-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Cool! I was wondering about this. Another idea was replacing the standard front and back logo badges with the new silver badge then maybe blacking it out. Any other ideas?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Rubbadub
26-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm getting the black top grille frame. It's the same colour as the black around your pillars and mirror tops.

BrashDaniels
26-02-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm getting the black top grille frame. It's the same colour as the black around your pillars and mirror tops.

Do you mean just the surround or the whole grille? I've been trying to source the honeycomb grille to match the lower half.

Super Skoda has one but says it is pre facelift and not for RS models.

Rubbadub
26-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes, just the surround. I agree the mesh-style grille would be cool, but then again the "moustache" grille is a Skoda trademark. You wouldn't see too many people remove a BMW grille even though that isn't the most appealing look on the market.

belegur
26-02-2013, 08:37 PM
You'll have to wait until my next progress report to see my take on this ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BrashDaniels
05-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Moustache Grille - love it ! - I never thought about it like that. It just reminded me of the old fishface grill from the AU Falcon.

Yes, just the surround. I agree the mesh-style grille would be cool, but then again the "moustache" grille is a Skoda trademark. You wouldn't see too many people remove a BMW grille even though that isn't the most appealing look on the market.

What about some links to where you're sourcing your stuff? - I got some Euro stuff, but some places won't post here.

stormshark
05-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Moustache Grille - love it ! - I never thought about it like that. It just reminded me of the old fishface grill from the AU Falcon.

What about some links to where you're sourcing your stuff? - I got some Euro stuff, but some places won't post here.

Bit off topic, and you guys are probably giving the new cars a bit of stick, but how many km's distance from a tank are you getting in the VRS's please?

belegur
05-03-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm getting about 8L / 100k's so far. But I'm deliberately varying my revs, using manual to change up and down instead of relying on the brakes, and applying the right foot generously. Although I am limiting myself to around 5000rmp for now. I'll be doing this until I hit 1500km's and then gradually increase the rpm over the next 1000km's before unleashing the little thing completely :)

Rubbadub
05-03-2013, 07:26 PM
My long term average is 7.4L/100km according to the computer, which is about 40/60 city/fwy (or country) driving. I also don't mind giving the odd boot, just not all of the time. For reference, I took a 300km journey yesterday, Perth to York to Northam and home. I wasn't trying to drive conservatively, and the route is a bit hilly, but I only managed 6.2, which is supposed to be the combined figure. You have to drive like Nana to beat the official figures. Then again, I didn't buy this car to be frugal, and it's still better than my old 4-speed 2L Focus - not to mention miles quicker.

As for the links... all your cosmetic needs are at Superskoda. Make sure you don't get anything specifically pre-facelift: it probably won't fit our "facelift" models. FABIA II : superskoda.com (http://www.superskoda.com/fabia-ii/)

stormshark
05-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys, 7.4 -8l still pretty good,Decisions decisions

belegur
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
OK all...

Just got home from picking my car up after having the tint and some vinyl wrap done. Afternoon sun making it difficult to get good photos, so excuse the lens flares and crappy contrast etc. I'll try to get some better ones over the next week or so.

Tint is Cabon XP in the darkest legally allowed here. Wrap is 3M Metallic Gloss Black applied to c-pillar, bonnet and grill surround.

What do you guys think? See link below...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93387706@N08/sets/72157632930015890/

Rubbadub
06-03-2013, 10:31 PM
That's very impressive, mate. I'd have to see it in the "flesh" to see for sure, but from the pics it has an OEM look about it. Much classier than fake carbon fibre. Did you consider doing the whole bonnet?

I'd be interested in getting my roof done, but I'm too chicken that it'll end up looking ricey .:facepalm:

belegur
06-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks mate... exactly what I was going for. I wanted it to look like it could have been a factory two-tone option. Matte or carbon fibre would have looked stupid with the metallic gloss on the roof, and the gloss a & b pillars and mirrors.

There are a few minor blemishes in how smooth the vinyl went on... nothing too dramatic though. No bubbles or anything, just kind of like a tiny crease where the vinyl had to stretch in more than one direction. You have to get within arms length of the car, and catch the light at the right angle to even notice these though.

No doubt it is a better job than if I'd attempted it myself.

I never entertained the idea of doing the whole bonnet... I liked how the line from the side windows could be carried to meet the rear window, and then from the a pillar along the crease to the grill surround. I photoshopped a jgp of a silver car to test a few options, and this is what I liked the look of most.

Now to drop it 30-40mm and put on some 5 or 6 spoke black wheels with a machined lip :) ... this might have to wait a while though.

BrashDaniels
07-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Love it. Gives me some ideas for later. Definitely agree with it looking oem. Wonder if it would have looked better if you had the black on chrome version of the Gigaro alloys like me.

Rubbadub
07-03-2013, 09:21 PM
^^^

Yours looks like it's got plenty of vinyl already. :P

BrashDaniels
08-03-2013, 12:26 AM
^^^

Yours looks like it's got plenty of vinyl already. :P

Umm umm where ? :)
The dealers says some of the smaller stickers will only last a year or two.

The pro vinyl more like five. So there will be a change in the look eventually.

I was thinking blacking out the new logo and putting that on front and rear. Then replacing the Fabia badge with the new one and maybe a TSI badge somewhere.

Choices choices. Laps first.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BrashDaniels
08-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Bit off topic, and you guys are probably giving the new cars a bit of stick, but how many km's distance from a tank are you getting in the VRS's please?

How dare you insinuate I might drive in a manner unbecoming a mature member of society.
Umm 7.4 is my average Clark Kent mileage. 8.8 when, umm driving more like the Italian Job. Blows out to 10.8 flat stick, and by flat stick I mean the Incredible Hulk meets happy laps,

Well, an old fat guy in a green Skoda tshirt anyway.

So 400-600km depending on fuel and style choices.

stormshark
09-03-2013, 05:44 PM
How dare you insinuate I might drive in a manner unbecoming a mature member of society.
Umm 7.4 is my average Clark Kent mileage. 8.8 when, umm driving more like the Italian Job. Blows out to 10.8 flat stick, and by flat stick I mean the Incredible Hulk meets happy laps,

Well, an old fat guy in a green Skoda tshirt anyway.

So 400-600km depending on fuel and style choices.

Ha ha classic, no insinuation, but thanks for detailed analysis! 400! Gees hulk on roids!

Rubbadub
24-04-2013, 09:11 PM
No concerns about warranty?

Lucas_R
24-04-2013, 09:29 PM
I saw this car over near Kotara a few weekends ago. You work over that way? Definitely recognisable with the vinyl on it - who did the vinyl? Ive been thinking of getting my roof done in gloss black and Altapac is the only local place i know of.

The tune and those APR/HP parts ill give the car a nice extra boost - these things are pretty quick already! Are you getting an intake aswell? Screw warranty, my car was tuned about 3 weeks after getting it from the dealer. You only live once - go for it.

Not sure if your interested, but i have some sweet Porsche oil and coolant caps which fit perfectly on these engines and look really nice. Pics here if you are interested: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f151/skoda-spotted-thread-27125-97.html#post939961

belegur
24-04-2013, 09:37 PM
I saw this car over near Kotara a few weekends ago. You work over that way? Definitely recognisable with the vinyl on it - who did the vinyl? Ive been thinking of getting my roof done in gloss black and Altapac is the only local place i know of.

Not sure if your interested, but i have some sweet Porsche oil and coolant caps which fit perfectly on these engines and look really nice. Pics here if you are interested: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f151/skoda-spotted-thread-27125-97.html#post939961

Yeah Lucas.. I work there a few days a week and work my own business other days. Altapac did the vinyl... other options are available in Sydney.

belegur
24-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Had a look at your pics.... what do you want for them? PM me if you prefer.

Rubbadub
24-04-2013, 11:05 PM
They'd pretty much have to prove that your mods caused the failure in question. The intercooler just increases in volume and reduces intake temp a decent amount over the stock one, something that's a known issue with these engines. Exhaust has it breathing better and the tune is mild and switchable. It's nothing radical.

Sorry, I meant the tunes, in particular Stage 2.

Rubbadub
24-04-2013, 11:59 PM
I'll admit an intercooler interests me: I definitely noticed a drop in performance during some of the 40ish spells we had here in Perth last summer (seemed to be when the oil got burnt most as well). Doing anything like a tune scares me a little as, anecdotal evidence suggests at least, these motors are fragile.

However, I look forward to your ongoing reports of any modifications.

BrashDaniels
28-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Well...?
Which tuner? where fitted? how much? what else did you fit? details...details
And gizza drive?

passat08
28-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Yeah would like to know aswell cheers

BrashDaniels
30-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Very cool. Considering I got a 7.1sec 0-100 on Torque, you should stand to see some significant improvement ;)

Enjoy

steveyoshi
06-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Have you fitted the bits as yet?

Stage 1 ECU will void the warranty for the life of the car.... Promise you!

Also, I think you have to prove the car doesn't have a problem because of the parts fitted.

BrashDaniels
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Have you fitted the bits as yet?

Stage 1 ECU will void the warranty for the life of the car.... Promise you!

Also, I think you have to prove the car doesn't have a problem because of the parts fitted.

On the one hand, you say WILL void,
Then I THINK.....

Can't be both.

It MIGHT void your warranty, if the dealer can assert the failure/defect is as a result of the modification.

This is issue has been gone over and over, and is still something that different people are getting different reactions from their service centre of choice.

At the end of the day, it's an informed choice.

steveyoshi
06-05-2013, 10:04 PM
My understanding of the facts are as follows;

To get VW Australia (Parent Company of Skoda) to pay for a warranty claim... you WILL have to prove to them that your MODS did not cause the failure.

Once they know there is a tune installed (Eng/Driveline) are NOT covered unless you can determine (1) above.

With ECU tune any failure or damage to the Brakes or Suspension MAY also not be covered, unless you can determine (1) above..

Informed or not, once they know you have a tune, the car is flagged for life.

Yes you have legal rights... but how do you get someone to pay you if they don't want to?

steveyoshi
07-05-2013, 12:34 PM
We live in a culture of fear... just look at all the health, life, funeral, income, and even pet insurance ads on TV.

Half the cars on the roads would have no warranty if all the i's were dotted and t's crossed. Aftermarket wheels or brakes? Exhaust? Lowered? etc etc

Most tunes can be reverted back to stock for servicing, but if it gets detected... seriously, there's more important things in life than whether my car has warranty or not.

totally agree

bobski
10-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Agree with a culture of fear, for me its just risk management. If you like tuning your car, you should expect that any warranty *might* be void by your mods. If you are smart about the mods, you'll likely never have any related warranty issues anyway (unless you get a lemon).

What I don't get is the expectation that manufacturers should wear a problem caused by the vehicle operating outside of its specifications. If you try to put 250kw through a car designed to have 130kw, any number of parts might go bang and no one should rightfully expect the manufacturer to warranty that anyway. But if you do that, and 3 months later a door handle falls off, then fair enough.

Its like getting the wrong change and not saying anything. You might have some free cash, but its not rightfully yours.

dArK5HaD0w
07-07-2013, 09:40 PM
me likey :)

BrashDaniels
07-07-2013, 11:23 PM
me likey :)

Very much likey..... now where EXACTLY will you be leaving these parts while you're in Europe?

Just to be helpful, I have a GPS, so you could just send the the coordinates.

MRT11
07-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Ah I love this Fabia man! Spent around 8 hours non-stop driving in a Fabia RS when the Old Man's Octavia went in for service. Loved it so much! Considering finance on one myself haha. Love it :)