PDA

View Full Version : Mileage on New Car

carven
05-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi, it has been a week since I had my new GTI, it's really a great car. I remember that my car had 15km on the clock when I picked it up from the dealer. Does anyone know what is the acceptable mileage on new cars?

My sister was going to pick her new car up today (Yaris though, not Golf:(), her car already had 47km on the clock and there was a 3mm scratch on the front bumper. She did not accept the condition and tried to ask them for another one or refund. The car has been registered 5 days ago, to install some optional items and tinting (again unbelievable, loosing five days). Would she be able to get her deposit back?

Golf Loon
06-09-2007, 08:23 AM
According to my mate at the VW dealership, they can reset the odometers to zero provided they have not gone past 100.

Theoretically it could do 99ks lots of times and be reset every time. :?

I would not accept my new car with a scratch on the bumper, they should be getting it resprayed for her at least.

carven
06-09-2007, 08:33 AM
According to my mate at the VW dealership, they can reset the odometers to zero provided they have not gone past 100.

I would not accept my new car with a scratch on the bumper, they should be getting it resprayed for her at least.

Respray work on new car? Then the time when she sells it, any RACQ (etc) inspection would notice that the bumper has been respray and the resale value drops.
Actually, there are more problems on her new car. One of the door sealant (top part on the door) actually went off when she opens the door. The salesman was able to put it back. But I guess they should have gone through the pre-delivery inspection before handing it to customer. Plus the ridiculous mileage on the car.:sad:

nick1234
06-09-2007, 11:30 AM
G'day,

annoying thing when that happens ! When my mum picked up her new Alfa 147 (back in Europe that is) the front bumper had been damaged while unloading from the delivery lorry. The dealer resprayed it professionally and it looked like new - couldn't see a difference, we didn't get a discount though. Can't remember how many k's it had but I guess that cars get moved to the lorries and such ... the only thing that you can do is be present when they take the bloody car of the lorry when it arrives and take delivery at that stage. I don't even leave my car with any dealer/ repairer without being present because staff often take the cars for rides during lunch breaks !!

I reckon that you should document (with pictures) the issues on the Yaris - if you decide to take it - as there can be further problems in the future. Therefore you have legal backup.

That's what I would do - best of luck !

carven
06-09-2007, 12:00 PM
G'day,

annoying thing when that happens ! When my mum picked up her new Alfa 147 (back in Europe that is) the front bumper had been damaged while unloading from the delivery lorry. The dealer resprayed it professionally and it looked like new - couldn't see a difference, we didn't get a discount though. Can't remember how many k's it had but I guess that cars get moved to the lorries and such ... the only thing that you can do is be present when they take the bloody car of the lorry when it arrives and take delivery at that stage. I don't even leave my car with any dealer/ repairer without being present because staff often take the cars for rides during lunch breaks !!

I reckon that you should document (with pictures) the issues on the Yaris - if you decide to take it - as there can be further problems in the future. Therefore you have legal backup.

That's what I would do - best of luck !
Thanks nick1234!
I am just trying to express my sad feeling here. There are more problems for her new car.
1) 47km on the clock as I mentioned before.
2) Scratch on front bumper, acceptable if the dealer really install a new bumper to it. Totally unacceptable for re-spraying.
3) Inside door panel went off (not the sealant), the dealer explained that it was removed in order to carry out the tinted glass. Maybe just didn't put it back properly.
4) This is the most concern one: there was a unnamed CD in the CD player. Dealer did know why it was there but to say that they tried to test the CD player is working properly or not. Then why didn't they pick up the problem of the door panel?

All these things comes together on a brand new car... Unbelievable!

anarchycamp
06-09-2007, 03:43 PM

Yeah I was talking to a guy at VW about this too, they can reset the speedo but only 4 times or something to limit infinite resets. Via VAG-COM or something i assume.

ausgolfer
06-09-2007, 11:01 PM
in my work last year I had to test drive some cars that were newly imported, at the docks the rule for this company was 100km, and we weren't legally allowed to reset it even though the option was there.

ausgolfer
06-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Oh and you should have seen some of the work going on to many different makes of cars that had been damaged in the transport process. One car had golf ball sized dings in every panel and you wouldn't have known, makes you think twice.....

ValveBounce
29-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Same thing applys for Fords, except it can only be reset 3 times.

aprr32
30-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I was able to reset the 23km's on the R32 on pickup by holding the tripmeter reset button down for more than 15 seconds but only able to do this once and only under 100km.I had a zero km car as I drove it out of the show room.

FknDubbin
31-12-2007, 07:17 AM
I was able to reset the 23km's on the R32 on pickup by holding the tripmeter reset button down for more than 15 seconds but only able to do this once and only under 100km.I had a zero km car as I drove it out of the show room.

BINGO! You can only do it once and thats if the car is under 200km. Big deal to there being 47k's on the clock. Think about it, it gets test driven from the factory, moved around at the docks, driven on a roadtest at the dealership for the PDI, then driven to the various places for accesories like tint.... It all adds up. Dont expect the dealership to put it in bubble wrap and put it on a flat bed cos its not going to happen. The scratch should be fixed. That is their duty but your not going to get the deposit back. Ive worked in dealerships for 5 years now and see this alot. Hope it all works out.

Bubu
15-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Do they ever use the sold cars waiting for the new owners to pick up as testdrive vehicles for potential buyers??

blutopless2
30-06-2008, 03:17 PM
that would probably depend upon the dealership.
Our local one told us that NO new cars that were sold were used for test drives. But that is probably AFTER they have prepped it for delivery to the owner so you dont dirty it etc

SmutsGTI
30-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Mine had 26km on when i picked it up, yep went 10 k's down the rd for tinting and paint protection if it had under 60k's i'd be happy. The door panel is not their fault either the tinting company should get their arses kicked for that one. I had a HSV and had a sunroof ordered ( they are all aftermarket fitted at the dealership ) when they put it in they ripped a 20 cm hole in the back of the passenger seat leather and dinted the roof, not to worry take this grange and come back Friday had it all fixed and the windows tinted for free. I'm ok with mistakes as long as they acknowledge and fix it no questions asked.

Smuts

VW VR6
10-07-2008, 02:18 AM
Mate go to web site www.accc.gov.au and read section warranties and refunds. You will find tips and tricks for your problem.