PDA

View Full Version : Ground Control coilover set-ups

rayray086
05-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi guys,

Any of youse heard of the suspension tuning company from America called "Ground Control"? I was recently made aware of these guys from a few Vortex discussions and am personally quite curious and interested in their products. Basically they have designed coilover sleeve kits (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/category.php/CA=2) which allows your current struts to act as coilovers. These kits are sleeves with a spring perch in which a specifically manufactured spring by Eibach for Ground Control are fitted on.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/09/8535_dp-2.jpg

With little to no modifications required to fit them on to your struts, they seem to be a very easy solution to acquiring height adjustability for your current suspension set-up.

http://www.peterpyce.com/Springs/GC/GC_Front_Kit_004.jpg
8. This is your average Koni Front damper.

9. Here is in pictures what the instructions talk about:

9A - This is the machining they have done as to fit great on your Koni.

9B - Here is the "dent" you have on you Koni, which is where the 9A detail goes.

9C - This is where you put (more or less) the two O-rings that come with each front assembly. Once they are in place, you slide the parts over them, so there is no rattles and nose during ordinary operation. Very elegant way and makes for such a nice fit!

10. - Here is the fit from the next step.

11. - Sliding in the spring and the top cap. The rest from here is ordinary front spring/damper swap.

The website outlines that stock struts and most aftermarket struts can be used as the "base" for these kits. Upon ordering, you would need to specify spring rates for your kits, which IMO makes it a very worthwhile upgrade. These springs are also manufactured and standardised by Eibach. They seem to be a perfect solution for those who don't want to spend as much as $2000+ for a new pair of coilovers. I've done a bit of research and there has been very good feedback on these kits. Because of the custom spring rates, most use these kits on the track and autocross.

I'm actually considering of trying these out - their $399USD without shipping, but I have enquired about shipping.

What does everyone think?

Tim
05-09-2007, 04:50 PM
$399US plus shipping plus some nice struts adds up pretty quickly. What suspension do u have at the minute?
personally id steer away from things like thing. Do it right the first time.

DubSteve
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree its pretty much a height adjuster by the looks of it!

Do it right the first time and have no hassles:)

BL33SU
05-09-2007, 04:55 PM
sounds good.. 4 ppl who cant afford coilovers.. like me! :rolleyes:

intensem1
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Ive got this set up under my mk1, as coilovers are out of my budget at the moment. It works great, for adjusting the height easily. Makes the ride quite stiff, and would ideally be suited to shortened shockers.

Would recomend to those look at lowering on a budget much safer than cut springs!

FknDubbin
05-09-2007, 07:09 PM
$399US plus shipping plus some nice struts adds up pretty quickly. What suspension do u have at the minute?
personally id steer away from things like thing. Do it right the first time.

Amen to that. I thought of buying something like this but then thought stuff it and went and bought coilovers.

rayray086
05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Fair enough guys. Though just that I have heard of many a good feedback from satisfied users.

I am currently rolling on Koni Reds - half a year new so hence my consideration of these Ground Control sleeve kits rather than totally ditching them for a new set of coilovers. With autocross aspirations I think these sleeve kits would help a good deal. I'll have to see how much they will cost once shipped over though, but for the moment I'm feeling pretty positive on them. The deal hasn't been set in stone though.

I suppose you're right with the "do it right the first time" statement, but I'm willing to try them out given my circumstances.

rayray086
05-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Alex, just noticed your post - what shocks did you use them on? How much did it cost you all up? And finally, your rating out of 10, taking everything into consideration?